Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big question. Before or after Merry Piglets!

Would be nice to know. My guess is after.

imo, It was either:
  • sent by GP to alarm mom, or
  • sent by BL to pretend that GP was alive but just wouldn't be returning calls.

Mom said something was off about the text.

Alarm bells were ringing from that text either way.

In my opinion, it seems Aug 27th were when the bells tolled, and this text will most likely be what ties BL to the murder of GP.

Could she have called CL? JMO. She seems open and would probably know Brian pretty well despite the age gap and would seem a more appealing option over RL or perhaps even her own family. Someone related to Brian, an adult, someone she could trust without it being someone who wanted to protect either Brian or Gabby (parents). Sorry if it has already been mentioned, trying to read through the whole thread.
MOO.

also possible because the pair do chat later, according to the clip below.

@allaboutrial posted this link recently
Cassie said she face-timed Gabby sometime between 17th & 23rd while Gabby was alone in that hotel room so maybe she felt relatively close to Cassie?
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1448098986494148611

ETA @64WhetstoneRoad forgot to add the Cassie ABC transcript.
Worth considering Cassie reaction here, when TV reporter asks her if she has seen the bodycams now. Does she sound shocked to you?
Plus we get the feeling that GP is not ready to leave this relationship when we look at the bodycams.
maybe Gabby would feel comfortable speaking to someone who also thought this was all no big deal?

(type in the word 'spat' in your search and it should take you to that part if you want to check link) https://web.archive.org/web/2021092...family-speaks-sister-breaks-silence/11025914/

Question: So when you saw the video, did it, just look like a spat to you or did it look like your brother was, or, you know what I mean like does it just?

Cassie Laundrie: It looks typical of both of them, they whenever they fight, they would take a little break and come back and be fine, because that's what you do in a couple - sit there in the mountains together.

Last edited:
Agreed.
And in 3-4 weeks a lot of evidence could have been lost.

Her family and LE can be grateful she was found soon enough to still determine the manner of death.
Imo the killer was hoping she'd never be found.

Yes - in particular (maybe) stomach/intestinal contents - at least insofar as helping to further pin down time of death.

OTOH, the body was still in an active phase of decomp and not completely skeletonized, which is good for forensics. I fear that any evidence of bruising (such as what some of us think we see in some photos) would be gone.

I do not think the Coroner would have spoke about secondary injuries, if any, at this time (such as a possible blow on the head or evidence of skeletal damage during a struggle). I also don't think that the ME could get a good read on exactly what size hands were placed on Gabby's neck - but maybe there are some inferences to be drawn.

But a lot was lost, yes.

Totally agree. There were so many other ways to handle it. I too think that there's absolutely no strong theory about where BL might be. They behaved as if he was thought to be armed and dangerous, which tells me...they don't know. They apparently think he's capable of assuming someone else's identity. and finding a new woman right away (they could have called the room and asked to speak to her, for starters). They also could have done a quick internet search and found that this was the wrong guy...
The thing is, long-distance hikers can look kinda scary and they smell chronically stinky. So, if you aren't used to it, it's very easy to go, "That guy's hinky."
There was no universe where anyone would perceive me as hinky, except outsiders when I was on the AT. LMAO being placed at the other side of a restaurant from other guests...
Because you don't know where anyone's really from in terms of background, it's fair game that anyone's a criminal, and they all look superficially hinky. Later on, you might find that the guy who conked out on the floor near you on the town bandstand was a judge (true story), a different time a felon, another time a medical student or a hobo who'd been out there for years. (All of those are true). But they really kind of look the same.
Also, while on the AT, I had to call LE on someone who was threatening to rape young people. They mustered a whole dragnet to catch him.
So, I think you have to consider there's a lot to contend with when it comes to long distance AT hikers if you're LE. There's protectiveness about "the TRAIL"; there are young people out there just spreading their wings; there's a matter of how you're going to identify a perp when everyone's so scruffy looking. The marshals might have trusted the observations of other hikers, though. I think this is a VERY good thing. It tells me, BL won't last long on this trail. IMO hikers will readily point him out. They might get it wrong a few times, but it doesn't bode well for BL if the marshals are this jumpy around AT long-distance hikers.

@bestill I couldn’t bring over this - BBM - is the Sept 10 or October 9? I believe it's Sept 10 but wanted clarification. Thanks for putting this together! - from the other thread!! But you are correct it was supposed to 09/10 but I’m British and it really is awkward for me to write it like that. So yes, Sept 10th.
Thank you, I figured it was that!

Quoting the question asked and my reply, from thread # 64 ; post # 10 : as the answer to the question in my comment might be in the 'van life' video from the beginning of the thread ?

OceanElix said:
KSL5:
Body located in Wyoming national forest

What video is this?
Is it the original footage from the news copter that was later edited out or something else?
Thanks

LietKynes said :
Since you asked ... the chopper news footage cut out swiftly right before she can be seen.

But the black tarp is covering her , and part of a red shirt can be seen in the second time stamp.

It was inconclusive to me but that's fine --it's bad enough the poi who may have ended her life didn't show the decency and respect to bury her !

Sorry about the graininess of the video, but the news crew were taking a brief flyover and it has been edited, thankfully.
It's enough to show the utter disregard.
I think the prosecutor will have a strong case !

Post # 628 in thread # 63.
Second video at the 0:07 , and the 1:06 -1:09 timestamps.

Gabby Petito → EXCLUSIVE: News Chopper Footage From When Gabby Was 1st Found→KSL5 TV Salt Lake City - YouTube

She wasn't covered her very well, but left in the elements. :(

Someone said the black blanket may be the tarp that was on top of the van folded up in the drone video ?
I'm not sure so will have to go and check.
Hth.
Imo.
Lavender bolding mine.
Yes, the black blanket may be the folded tarp on the top of the van towards the rear, looking down from a bird's eye view.

Graphic warning :

Re. my comment about the killer leaving Gabby in the elements : I believe he was hoping with decomp there would be no way to identify her, or at least to conceal manner of death.
Gabb'y's murderer knew what the autopsy would reveal !

Fortunately she was found in time.
The killer can run but cannot hide forever ... hopefully.
MOO.

Last edited:
What about this:

GP's mom gets text.

GP's mom then might have called Stan and said: "Hey Stan, GP is getting your voicemails, what's up? What do you need help with?"

To which Stan might reply:"What voicemails? I don't need help. That makes no sense. I haven't called her."

Then alarm bells go off.
In regards to the “needing help” aspect of the text message sent from GP’s phone to her mom.
Pure speculation, but wondering if it went something like this—
GP called Stan asking for HIS help. Stan returns the call from GP, but no one answers, so he leaves a voicemail (or several). I’m not sure about other phones, nor do I know what phone Gabby had, but iPhones transcribe voicemails so that they can be read. In my experience, the transcribed message is usually off a bit from what the voicemail actually says. This might be far fetched, but BL may have glanced at the transcribed message, perhaps saw “need help” as part of the VM, and assumed Stan was contacting GP for help when it may have actually been the opposite. Again, speculation and JMO.

Really? I heard it as meaning 3-4 weeks. That is, 21-28 days, with the highest probability being in the middle. Because that's how death dates are estimated and there are particular things that can happen around 21 days that give that end date. It's all too morbid to discuss here.

(Edited to add proper facts from the report - you are all correct but the point still stands). At about 3 weeks, there are certain types of evidence that become a kind of clock. There's actually more than one type of evidence that can help provide these windows.

IOW, these are not guesses, but estimates (some things take 3 weeks to happen - perhaps a little longer in a cooler, drier place, so some additional time added).

The coroner did say they sent materials to a forensic entomologist. That, and the other materials they sent out to FBI labs, will help them narrow the date of death. He did not specifically name the items that were sent out.

jmo

Okay my theory regarding the Gabby call and Stan text is this (all just amateur opinion and speculation):

Gabby called Stan (her Grandfather) from the Moab stop. She was upset and he could have been a source of comfort to her. She may not even have told him all/much of what happened but just wanted a comforting ear. JMO but maybe she didn't want to alert her parents because they would probably have asked too many questions and she might not have wanted to worry them or have had to handle further questions at this point.

Even if Gabby did not share much information with Stan she would have likely been at least a bit upset and tearful on the call (given her emotional state during the stop). So Stan picks up on this and decides he needs to check in on her more regularly. Stan rings Gabby every day to check in. However, on the 27th due to the Merry Piglet's incident and preoccupied with fighting with Brian following this, Gabby does not/chooses not to pick up. This concerns Stan and he rings multiple times and leaves voicemails.

Later that evening after non-stop arguing and in a fit of rage Brian murders Gabby. After, in his panicked state he sees Gabby's phone light up with Stan again and notices the numerous missed calls (all from Stan). He is totally freaked out and paranoid thinking why is he calling so much and what has she told him? He also thinks if Stan keeps ringing it will arouse suspicion if no answer and he needs time to think of what to do. He can't ring Stan as he would want to talk to Gabby. He can't text Stan as maybe since Stan is elderly he doesn't text (reports of voicemails and missed calls but no texts). So he decides to send the text to Gabby's mum off her phone with the hope that it might give him some space. However, he makes the mistake of referring to him as "Stan" instead of e.g. grandpa/granddad

My questions are: what was the exact time of text to Gabby's mom? where is Stan? Has anyone talked to Stan? Has it been confirmed with Stan whether he did leave multiple voicemails and missed calls for Gabby and if so why?

Credit to the Wwoofers, they have alerts about Brian on nearly every website they have that is public. He would have a hard time hiding there, imo.

I decided to look at some of the warnings. Not sure how effective this type of comment is which I found on a Facebook site: "Be on the lookout for Brian Laundrie IG @bizarre_design_ he is running from the law, dangerous, irresponsible and untrustworthy. FBI warrant for his arrest." Hopefully others posted his photo or even the wanted poster DTBH put together. Even so, if Brian were to shave his head, face and reshape his eyebrows, who would recognize him?

What about this:

GP's mom gets text.

GP's mom then might have called Stan and said: "Hey Stan, GP is getting your voicemails, what's up? What do you need help with?"

To which Stan might reply:"What voicemails? I don't need help. That makes no sense. I haven't called her."

Then alarm bells go off.
If this happened, which I think would be serendipitous, he's toast if this goes to court. When did info about this text come out? Was it before he disappeared or after, for some reason I'm thinking it was before.

Brian Laundrie 'lookalike' ambushed by U.S. Marshals on the Appalachian Trail
Oct 17, 2021

upload_2021-10-18_18-7-44.png
Severin Beckwith had been mistaken for Brian Laundrie due to their 'similar' appearances.

Severin Beckwith and Anna Brettmann were napping at a lodge at Fontana Village Resort near the trail when their door was busted open.

“Next thing I see is a bunch of guys with riot shields with ‘U.S. Marshals’ written on them,” said Beckwith who had guns pointed at his face - according to the New Yorker.

Still in his underwear, Beckwith was handcuffed by authorities.

He believes this happened due to his resemblance to Laundrie, the person of interest in connection to the murder of his fiancée Gabby Petito.

After it was determined by the marshals that they didn’t have Laundrie in their custody after he showed his ID, Beckwith was released with the suggestion that he should shave his beard.

He complied but 'immediately regretted,” he said, “because I have much less of a chin than Laundrie does”.

The resort gave the couple a free night’s stay after the ordeal.

Would be nice to know. My guess is after.

imo, It was either:
  • sent by GP to alarm mom, or
  • sent by BL to pretend that GP was alive but just wouldn't be returning calls.

Mom said something was off about the text.

Alarm bells were ringing from that text either way.

In my opinion, it seems Aug 27th were when the bells tolled, and this text will most likely be what ties BL to the murder of GP.
After the other evidence, phone records and gps are going to be extremely valuable.
A parent knows their child , and knows when something is very wrong !

I think whichever way, whether GP was trying to send a message, or BL sent it, this text is key.

Do we have a timestamp on this text? Was it before or after the restaurant?
I think grandfather was.just trying to.talk to.gabby! Leaving messages! Brian .pretending.to be Gabby was thinking they would be happy to hear from..Gabby and would.not.be suspicious!
His.mistake.was.calling him.Stan!

I decided to look at some of the warnings. Not sure how effective this type of comment is which I found on a Facebook site: "Be on the lookout for Brian Laundrie IG @bizarre_design_ he is running from the law, dangerous, irresponsible and untrustworthy. FBI warrant for his arrest." Hopefully others posted his photo or even the wanted poster DTBH put together. Even so, if Brian were to shave his head, face and reshape his eyebrows, who would recognize him?
I think the tips will still pour in because of the reward as well as the heinous nature of his crime. jmo

Okay my theory regarding the Gabby call and Stan text is this (all just amateur opinion and speculation):

Gabby called Stan (her Grandfather) from the Moab stop. She was upset and he could have been a source of comfort to her. She may not even have told him all/much of what happened but just wanted a comforting ear. JMO but maybe she didn't want to alert her parents because they would probably have asked too many questions and she might not have wanted to worry them or have had to handle further questions at this point.

Even if Gabby did not share much information with Stan she would have likely been at least a bit upset and tearful on the call (given her emotional state during the stop). So Stan picks up on this and decides he needs to check in on her more regularly. Stan rings Gabby every day to check in. However, on the 27th due to the Merry Piglet's incident and preoccupied with fighting with Brian following this, Gabby does not/chooses not to pick up. This concerns Stan and he rings multiple times and leaves voicemails.

Later that evening after non-stop arguing and in a fit of rage Brian murders Gabby. After, in his panicked state he sees Gabby's phone light up with Stan again and notices the numerous missed calls (all from Stan). He is totally freaked out and paranoid thinking why is he calling so much and what has she told him? He also thinks if Stan keeps ringing it will arouse suspicion if no answer and he needs time to think of what to do. He can't ring Stan as he would want to talk to Gabby. He can't text Stan as maybe since Stan is elderly he doesn't text (reports of voicemails and missed calls but no texts). So he decides to send the text to Gabby's mum off her phone with the hope that it might give him some space. However, he makes the mistake of referring to him as "Stan" instead of e.g. grandpa/granddad

My questions are: what was the exact time of text to Gabby's mom? where is Stan? Has anyone talked to Stan? Has it been confirmed with Stan whether he did leave multiple voicemails and missed calls for Gabby and if so why?

Good theory, connects Moab phone call with Stan's. What I was trying to do.... link two pieces of a puzzle not yet solved.

also possible because the pair do chat later, according to the clip below.

@allaboutrial posted this link recently
Cassie said she face-timed Gabby sometime between 17th & 23rd while Gabby was alone in that hotel room so maybe she felt relatively close to Cassie?
https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1448098986494148611

ETA @64WhetstoneRoad forgot to add the Cassie ABC transcript.
Worth considering Cassie reaction here, when TV reporter asks her if she has seen the bodycams now. Does she sound shocked to you?
Plus we get the feeling that GP is not ready to leave this relationship when we look at the bodycams.
maybe Gabby would feel comfortable speaking to someone who also thought this was all no big deal?

(type in the word 'spat' in your search and it should take you to that part if you want to check link) https://web.archive.org/web/2021092...family-speaks-sister-breaks-silence/11025914/

Question: So when you saw the video, did it, just look like a spat to you or did it look like your brother was, or, you know what I mean like does it just?

Cassie Laundrie: It looks typical of both of them, they whenever they fight, they would take a little break and come back and be fine, because that's what you do in a couple - sit there in the mountains together.

Oh yes I forgot the FaceTime call between the two. I agree that CaL is a good possibility of who she called. It does seem like they were relatively close. JMO

I dont remember that she thought it was from Brian, but instead that it may not have been from Gabby.....MOO!

We aren’t privy to her thoughts, of course, but it is listed on the warrant for BL and he was the person near her daughter most of the time during the trip. He also knows who Stan is and would have connected Stan to her if he wanted to stop the attempted contact. I don’t think she had to say it — she knew it didn’t make sense and who the logical texter was even though GP wasn’t known to be missing yet.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member