Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't read everything yet, unfortunately, but has anyone posted that she could be in a psychiatric inpatient facility in the area?

Whether she was IVC'd or admitted voluntarily, it would be HIPAA protected and not disclosable unless she authorized it to be disclosed.

JMO.
I dont believe most facilities would allow a nationwide search effort for a missing woman continue if they could notify law enforcement without publicity and ensure she was alive. MOO

If she checked herself into a private facility, they would not have just let her settle in without either health insurance information or a large chunk of cash upfront (or proof that there was a large chunk of cash available). Likely, both of these would have required a call to her parents. A public facility would also want the health insurance information or proof that she was indigent and eligible for medicaid beyond an immediate emergency-room crisis. MOO, it is extremely far-fetched to think that she is in a mental facility and has been for a few weeks without her family knowing about it.

ive listened to this multible times and it makes no sense to me, this lady says the picked Brian up cause he wanted a ride to Jackson, then later wher they told him they were going to jackson he suddenly wanted back out....and now my head hurts

He freaked out when they said, "Jackson Hole". I guess he thought they were two different places. When he got out, he went to look for another ride to hitch. The whole thing is confusing.

I observed this, something that interestingly caught my eye. In the incident that happened on August 12th and the picture the police department posted showing they had the van, 3 more stickers were added to the van. The only one I can find online is the life is good in the woods which is sold on a website called Etsy. The today is a great day is Venice Florida. Does anyone know where the desert cosmic one could have came from? Maybe a stop along the way? Just a thought. IMO.
I looked for the Desert Cosmic one as well and couldn't find anything.

Regarding a text that couldn't be sent and then sending later once there is a connection ... my iPhone does not do that. I would have a notice the text didn't go through but I have to click on it to try to resend it again. It's not automatic.
My very old flip phone keeps the texts and missed calls in some secret area in the system and then when I get within coverage I'll get the beep beep beep all in sequence, and they are time stamped for the sending time, not the receiving time.

Last edited:
He did not appear to know that Jackson is short for Jackson Hole. When he heard Jackson Hole is when he got agitated.
pretty sure he could have figured that out for himself but still it makes no sense, he wanted to go to jackson, i just heard the lady say, we are going to Jackson.....so ven if she said jackson hole, what difference would that even make......reminds me of Casey Anthony.ughh

I would observe just the opposite. How many times have we heard of a boyfriend/husband say "she was really mad and got out of the car" in some completely remote area in the wee hours? And it always seems to turn out she didn't do that at all - he killed her elsewhere and tried to act like she had wandered off.

Very true. But if that were the case here, there would be no logical reason for BL to not advise where she was dropped off or where he last saw her and do what he could to find her rather than driving home without her and seemingly hoping people would forget she existed..I just can’t wrap my head around an innocent reason for his actions…

Ok...but why the silence?!?

How many women have been dropped off by friends and murdered by someone else between the driveway and their front door? All I'm saying is that its a possibility that they became separated for some reason and she was lost to him. The fact that no 911 call was made is either one of two things: there was no emergency or there WAS an emergency and HE wanted to cover his *advertiser censored**.

I would think having your girlfriend disappear after the both of you are the stars of 5 police body cams is more than enough reason to go on the lam whether you've done something or not. Explain THAT Mr. Adventurer!

He's silent, because he's covering his *advertiser censored**. Why? We shall see.

His cross country run is as dumb as OJ Simpson's ride on the I-5. These two have publicized themselves like a couple of Siamese twins. They're posting their adventure. She's here today, then suddenly gone tomorrow. I don't care how fast you drive, who you don't call for help, or who you hire to do your talking (or not talking) for you. You're the prime suspect until you prove otherwise. The silent treatment isn't working for him. In the end, its going to swim back and bite BL on the *advertiser censored*. Bad legal advice.

Lots of questions but regarding being clean, they picked him up at a spot that had showers so maybe he took one there.

Where did he get $200? How was he so clean after hiking/camping for days with just a tarp? Why did he freak out about going to Jackson Hole when that's where he was paying someone $200 to take him there? Why did he go the opposite way of where Gabby was? Why would he leave Gabby in an unregulated campsite for days in the van? How much work could she do on the website without any internet?

It is theoretically possible that they went out to Victor and then were looking at W Yellowstone both because those areas have more camping/lodging options than in the park(s).
**Why did they head to Victor, ID when they were so close to the south entrance of Yellowstone NP when they were at Jenny Lake? Also, the hikes on BL's list in All Trails for Yellowstone are all southern Yellowstone locations - like he knew they would enter the part via the South Entrance when he was exploring hikes. Makes me want to go "hmmmmmm?"

I was really confused about why he freaked out and wanted out when she mentioned Jackson Hole as opposed to Jackson since they are commonly both used to refer to the same place. But then I had a thought of maybe there is another Jackson, and there is, in Idaho, right near the Snake River, which she also talks about. Maybe that's where he wanted to go?
Yep but that would still be heading south from GTNP. He apparently wanted to go north.

I'm pretty sure LE would have checked on this already. LE can get that information from facilities (and there aren't a whole lot of them up that way). A facility can't just harbor a person who has been declared missing and for whom there is a nationwide search - her name and location is not medical information; her treatment and diagnosis are, though.

Indeed, LE come into hospitals all the time and talk to patients - because doctors and nurses are mandated reporters (that's just one reason).

Doctors and nurses are mandated reporters but only under certain circumstances. Being a missing person isn't one of them. There are a host of reasons why being a missing person doesn't mandate disclosure.

Psychiatric facilities are under a bit more scrutiny when it comes to PHI disclosure than a typical medical facility. And yes, a person being merely registered as a patient at any hospital is PHI. PHI isn't just relegated to one's treatment and diagnosis, but also one's presence.

Again, the facility must weigh law enforcement's request and the public's right to know versus the patient's right to privacy and any potential liability for PHI disclosure (whether HIPAA permits or not). They almost always err on the side of the patient's privacy. A court order or voluntary patient authorization to disclose is generally required.

JMO.

My very old flip phone keeps the texts and calls in some secret area in the system and then when I get within coverage I'll get the beep beep beep all in sequence, and they are time stamped for the sending time, not the receiving time.

When you say ‘sending time,’ do you mean the time you first tried to send them? Just double checking.

Given the time and distance back to Florida is 44 plus hours at a distance of almost 3000 miles, does anyone one else think that maybe his dad might have flown to somewhere along the return route to help get the vehicle back home. Denver is 8 1/2 hours away, St. Louis another 8 1/2. It an ominous drive otherwise.

It is a long drive but doable. My sister drove from Las Vegas to Washington DC and it took her a couple of days and she did it by herself.

I posted this many threads ago, but I'm reposting for those who didn't see it.

Important moments from body cam footage transcribed by me (with timestamps):

10:00GP to officer regarding driving over the curb: “We don’t drink or anything”

12:45BL: “The flies here are like pretty intense, so the flies have definitely been getting to her.”

13:33Officer: “what was the disagreement about?”
BL: “I wouldn’t even call it a disagreement. I, I’m dirty and I can’t change being dirty, like I’ve got dirty feet, I got sand in my flip flops and stuff like that. Uh, it was that we were at the coffee shop for so long, ‘cause we were there from 9 to 3

14:22BL explaining why he suggested GP take a walk after the incident at Moonflower cafe: “she got a little worked up. She had her phone in her hand and her keys in her hand and everything. She wanted—er, not her keys, her rings—and I was holding onto the keys cause I just, I didn’t want her to go anywhere and my big fear is, I don’t have my phone, uh, I don’t have a phone so if she goes off without me, you know, on a car ride, I don’t have a way home.”

15:50BL: “I’m fine, and I look it [good? audio muffled]. And I hope she doesn’t have too many complaints about me.”

20:47Officer to other officer: “so I just got off the phone with one of the two witnesses that reported it”

29:17Officer: “Do you guys have enough money for like a hotel room or anything like that? Because what we could do is, we’d cite her for this, and then I’d give her a ride over to whatever hotel of your guys’ choosing and on your way to pick her up, you stop over there at the PD, sign the paperwork that they’re requesting and then you can go pick her up, quite literally, within minutes.”
Other officer: “Unless you know someone else in town that’s a friend she could stay with.”
BL: “You know, unfortunately not. I don’t, and I guess that [note: trails off at the end of the sentence and Officer interrupts]

31:06Officer: “You guys don’t know anyone in town? Guys been around long?”
BL: “No, I don’t know anyone in town. If she went—[abruptly stops mid-sentence].”

44:30Female officer to male officer: “She’s [GP] got her cellphone, she’s calling her parents to feel better. She doesn’t want to not be with him tonight.”

49:19Officer to GP: “Were you attempting to cause him [BL] physical pain or physical impairment? Was that what you were attempting to do?”
GP: “No. Never.”
Officer: “What were you attempting to do? What was the reason behind the slapping and stuff? What was it you were attempting to accomplish by slapping him?”
GP: “I was trying to get him to stop telling me to calm down.”

1:00:06Officer asks GP if she has anything she wants him to communicate to BL, GP responds: “Make sure he doesn’t forget a phone charger. Definitely mad.
Officer: “Oh, he’s mad about that too?”
GP
: “yeah”
Bad, not mad. She was saying he was bad about having the charger.

I observed this, something that interestingly caught my eye. In the incident that happened on August 12th and the picture the police department posted showing they had the van, 3 more stickers were added to the van. The only one I can find online is the life is good in the woods which is sold on a website called Etsy. The today is a great day is Venice Florida. Does anyone know where the desert cosmic one could have came from? Maybe a stop along the way? Just a thought. IMO.

Hadn't seen that mentioned yet. Nice pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks