Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
His family could/should have turned him over to police on Sept 1. He'd still be alive had they done that! MOO

But as we can guess that BL lied to them that this was just another split, why would they think they had to hand him over to the police on 1st?
Gabby's family all said in interviews that they didn't start calling the Laundries until the 10th so the L's unlikely to know Gabby was missing

Even Cassie says in her interviews that she didn't even discuss Gabby's absence during de Soto camping & when asked to comment on the MOAB bodycams later she thought the footage was no big deal.

There's much more to this case than we will ever know imo

So last week, I think, I saw on the news that the hashtag "Justice for Gabby" had been used (or viewed)? over one billion times. I think Joe Petito mentioned this too.

What do we think Justice for Gabby will look like now?

All I can think of is that Gabby's family is given access to any confession or diary that BL might have had, and that their foundation in her memory has a huge impact on reducing DV. Other than that, I'm not sure.

IMO the L's attorney is someone they have used in previous real estate dealings and may have been the only attorney they are familiar with. It was mentioned in some of the first threads about this case that they had used this particular attorney before. IMO that doesn't have anything to do with anyone's guilt or innocence. It was pure and simple convenience.
The Ls and SB have had a working relationship for some 20 years.
I believe they turned to an attorney they trust.

GBs parents could probably sue BLs estate for wrongful death but I’d be surprised if it’d be worth their time and energy in terms of potential assets. He clearly didn’t have the wealth nor fame of OJ.

A lot of time these types of civil suits are about exposing info publicly and not about money. For instance, LE may not prosecute the parents and LE might not ever release info gathered. But a civil suit will bring the truth out and the parents will not be able to hide.

Moo.

Not true. A defendant can still plead the 5th but not answering a question can be held against you in a civil case. The judge or jury can make negative inferences from a defendant invoking that right, unlike in a criminal case.
I agree. Lots of ramifications. I was making a general statement distinguishing between criminal and civil cases.

Would the notebook, or anything else found in the reserve determined to belong to BL, be returned to his estate, ie parents? Or would it remain in an evidence box in the FBI’s basement forever?
Eight years ago I wrote ‘that’ note for my family, swallowed a bottle of pills, that was hard, the second one was even harder-the hardest thing I’ve ever made myself do. I’m alive talking to y’all so I was found in time. The bravest thing I’ve ever done is look each one in their face, beg for forgiveness and start all over. The police kept that note. Everyone read it including police and first responders. They let my family call my oldest daughter and read it on the phone. They said the only way I could retrieve it is to go and sign for it. It’s still there at the PD in some old file folder in a dusty box…

I just read that the partial skull is BL's. How very sad for GP's family. I hope they can find some peace in all of this someday. I don't care if Bl's family ever finds peace as he and they are the reason things turned out this way.
moo

I think I'm in the minority thinking this will turn out to be such an easier route for Gabby's family, than if he had been brought back to stand trial. There's now no trial, no standing by while a faction insists on his innocence, no having cameras shoved in their faces while they come and go from the courthouse, no attending parole hearings every few years, no putting up with "where is he now" updates in the media on how he's doing, etc.

It's done. Now they can focus on her foundation, and raising their other children and making life as bearable as possible for them.

Audio clip of SB saying he spoke with BL on 9/12 and on 9/13.

https://twitter.com/mahsawho/sstatus/1451327792184975366?s=21

Did #BrianLaundrie ever speak to his family's attorney? I spoke with the Laundrie family's attorney Steve Bertolino today to get a better idea of what happened in the days surrounding the disappearance of #GabbyPetito's fiancé. Full story on @WFLA: bit.ly/3CjbZzT

which mainly matches what this other reporter tweeted back in September
Deleted & eta - wrong tweet, I'll go find the correct one

She said it herself. Watch her interview. Do you think it was professional of him to release a statement during the dr blue announcement of GP’s cause of death?

I agree @Claire182 that the attorney's statements to the media regarding C sounded as if he was throwing her to the wolves. The attorney stated that she wasn't being truthful regarding when she last saw BL. IMO that upset C enough that she went outside and gave the protesters her version of events. She wasn't the only one who mixed up her dates. The L's couldn't remember the correct date of when they last saw their son and ended up changing the date later on. They lived with BL and were the last people to see him alive and yet they gave the wrong date when they first reported him missing to LE. However that wasn't mentioneded by the L's attorney at the time he was pointing out C's supposed discrepancy to MSM. It was mentioned much later.

Josh Taylor says the notebook has not been opened yet, that they want to preserve forensics. Said it’s possibly salvageable. (From CNN live)

They need to open it and separate the pages before they dry. If the notebook dries closed, the pages could stick together. Learned this from first-hand experience after a flood.

Eight years ago I wrote ‘that’ note for my family, swallowed a bottle of pills, that was hard, the second one was even harder-the hardest thing I’ve ever made myself do. I’m alive talking to y’all so I was found in time. The bravest thing I’ve ever done is look each one in their face, beg for forgiveness and start all over. The police kept that note. Everyone read it including police and first responders. They let my family call my oldest daughter and read it on the phone. They said the only way I could retrieve it is to go and sign for it. It’s still there at the PD in some old file folder in a dusty box…
I’m glad you are alive!

And some want to defend him for some reason.
I am not defending the attorney as a person. But that is a different issue than the objective issue of him having done nothing illegal or unethical under the rules of the bar, from the evidence, timelines etc that are public.
As far as off color or inappropriate remarks some of the best lawyers I know are snide and nasty. It isn't unknown at least since Shakespeare advised us to kill all the lawyers. Frankly the coroner seemed to be a tiny bit creepy enjoying his time in thelimelight of this case too.

But doesn't intentional infliction of emotional distress have to involve actions that were outrageous or extreme? As measured by ordinary society. Not necessarily here on WS :) And exercising a Constitutional right to remain silent or engaging an attorney isn't an outrageous action. Neither is refusing to answer one's phone on a given day.

So far as helping Brian escape, escape to the park to die? I guess. But even if they did, intentional infliction of emotional distress has to mean the party caused the emotional distress the party suffered. I'm not buying GP's family is primarily suffering because there won't be a prosecution of Brian. Think they are distressed for other reasons like GP's death and the Laundries didn't cause that.

Sometimes there's just no grounds to win the big money in court. Not saying the family would want money but that's the reason people sue. That's the remedy offered.
JMO
If they knew anything what about aiding and abetting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie