Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian did not evade law enforcement prior to his going missing. LE knew where he was. They could have picked him up at any time.

I do think it is possible Brian confessed to his parents at some point. If so, I expect that information to be shared with the media and/or the Petito family eventually. Might as well at this point.

I agree. There was no evading once BL was home.

I am, however, very unhappy with how NPPD and the FBI handled surveillance of BL once he was at home. There is no way on earth he should have been able to go "hiking" without LE knowing about it and following him. Even worse, when contacted by SB that BL had not returned home that evening the FBI apparently didn't react at all, otherwise, he almost certainly could have been found the following day. Meanwhile NPPD was busy tailing some guy in Tampa. What a mess. I am extremely pro-LE, but they don't get a pass on this situation which was 100% their fault for not having BL under surveillance from the time that they knew GP was missing and that BL had driven her van back to his parents home alone. I don't even want to get started on the search for BL.

Unresolved: why the parents were unable, during 4 or more hours of searching, to find him the day he went missing, or the following days had they chosen to search for him. Yet, a month later they made a beeline to his things, the bag and the notebook, and very nearly to the backpack and body itself. What happened between the day he went missing, when they couldn't find him (or did they?), and the day they knew, IMO, exactly where to look. IMO
Exactly.

He did escape justice, IMO. Ask any family member of a murder victim where the perpetrator has absconded or committed suicide. I would think they feel somewhat cheated.
He did avoid being brought to a court to be judged, I didn't expect his remains would be found at that park. But I don't know what LE knows. As for justice, I think a natural course of events took place, and if justice means you put someone in a cage for the rest of their life, I understand keeping them away from society. It is a sad story,

I've been tied up in meetings all afternoon and evening, so forgive me...but is there evidence that it was suicide for BL? Or was it simply not surviving out there?
No definitive evidence yet about cause or manner of death. Part of skull was found, which leads to some speculation of a gunshot. But still very unconfirmed.

YES!! I hope this finally comes to the states!
For too long, women have had to rely on gossip to save their lives. How else would you know if someone was an abuser and to stay away unless another victim warned you? Domestic violence can be tracked and prevented!
I agree wholeheartedly! the one good thing from this case, other than the foundation, of course, is that it's helped shed light on the complex issue that is DV and made more ppl aware of the very complex signs and symptoms. Gabby's had a good impact on the world.

Same semi-simplicity of identification if, for example, it's not carried around, or if using Tor and/or a VPN with a public wifi?
Kind of defeats the point if you don't carry a mobile phone around. But the lack of moment can point at a suspect.

Oh VPN's. While I support the use of VPN's for most users. The simple fact is that anything the FBI wants the FBI gets.

So the easiest way to get around vpn's, is simply look for the human to fail to use them. Now lets say that you use your vpn all the time. Then, it is easy to put down a honey pot for you.

Lets say that you always visit this website at 9:30. It is simple for most agencies to insert malicious code into your stream of this site. It infects your computer with out you knowing and tells the agency anything they want.

There is also weakness in the code it self that the fbi has used. Personally. VPN will slow them down, but they can always get between you and your final site.

If I lost my client and he ended up dead while I was refusing to produce him to LE, I'd be really upset, not taking victory laps.

Haven't watched it yet but already the timing seems off to me but....
wouldn't the Laundries have instructed or at least given him the permission to take media bookings?

Not true. In the video where Cassie answered the protestors questions, she specifically stated that she had received no calls for voice mails whatsoever from the Petito/Schmidt family. Further, she stated she was getting all her information about this case from the news and nothing had been discussed with BL or her parents as she had no clue what was going on during the camping trip.
I stand corrected.
I could have sworn the Petito family said they included Cassie in their frantic calls/texts.
I guess only the phone records would confirm if Cassie's phone ever received those calls.

Bank fraud charges didn't come until after her body was discovered. Federal charges.
They had to go through his lawyer.

Lawyers can't say no to legal process. They can instruct their clients not to answer or make incriminating statements, but if LE arrests you for theft and brings you into the office, you have to sit there even if you don't say anything.

And I know very well when the bank charges were brought. I was the one who pulled the indictments from PACER. But there is no reason they couldn't have been brought weeks earlier since the event happened on 8/29-9/1. They just didn't get around to looking at it.

I am not convinced as yet re suicide. WL. ..could be, maybe, maybe not.
He looked mighty clumsy to me, and when that is combined with Brian's belief in his prowess as a man of the forest and all that, a sort of Dunning Kruger 'hiker', things of a particularly lethal nature can take place, trees fall on one, snakes bite one, sudden dips in terrain happen, water is particularly dangerous and lethal, while looking calm and receptive..

He could have simply died of fright while being confronted with one of those huge escaped Burmese pythons that roam freely in the Florida swamps..... I know I would have.

Me either, Trooper. Not on the suicide, and not on the Laundries. I'm waiting until the evidence comes in. I wanna know COD and approximate date of death. Hopefully they can get this. MOO

Good question. IMO they had an idea where he may have been. Things are different when rains come in and flood things. I don’t think they were as familiar as him about the area. And he was a little distance from where he parked making it a bit more difficult. If they are like any parents like me IMO if they knew he did something to harm himself and knew exactly where he was they would have found him sooner and prevented the wildlife from having a picnic. JMO as a mom.

I really don't understand it. I have a couple of clients who were literally clients #2 and #3 when I started my own practice. They are still clients. They are now very big, successful businesses that make cool products that help people. It's the same small management teams from when they were young guys and girls in their garages to over a decade later running big businesses. When I have to break bad news to them or we are unable to solve a problem for them, I genuinely feel bad. I will feel sad like I let down a friend. That's how close you can get to people you work with as a lawyer over time. It's not just transactional or trying to find a loophole - it's trying to do your best to help your client get the best outcome possible.

The idea that your clients of 20 years lost their son and are at the center of a media storm that you contributed to and you...decide to go on TV repeatedly is just...I really don't understand. It's gross and this is why people hate lawyers. lol
You are definitely one of the good ones, Alethea!

I can think of a lot of reasons, people's minds work differently. As I said in an earlier post, the desire to "disappear completely" leads people into natural or remote places to suicide every year. It's a symbol or metaphor for them wishing they could undo what they have done in their life.

Most of us have done something we wish we could undo. For most of us, it's minor - we broke something precious to ourselves or to someone else. But the desire to undo or unmake is part of rite and ritual for humans all over the planet. Grief alone makes many persons wish to be gone from this plane and to be invisible.

Then, in this case, there's the additional possibility that either BL simply doesn't understand how much harder it would be for Gabby's family. and for his own family if he couldn't be found. I do not think BL had a strong theory of other minds. I think he was very much inside his own head, had lots of intricate fantasies.

There are other possibilities as well. Of the many people who go missing every year, many are not found and do not want to be found. I believe that one of my. childhood friends committed suicide and did not want to be found. It's been 35 years and he's still listed in the Charlie Project. He's out in the mountains near where I live - somewhere.
Great perspective here. I'd like to toss in another that IMO is very applicable here.

For folks who kill themselves in the wilderness, it is often difficult for survivors to know if they had a death wish or met with an accident. Leaving survivors with that kind of ambiguity may be the point. It might be super-difficult to convey to friends and family how deep your distress at life is that you felt compelled to kill yourself. But what if you had an "accident" in the mountains? They'd never know for sure whether it was suicide or accident.
Indeed, in the case of BL, this has compounded my rage. We will never know (barring clean evidence, e.g. of a bullet hole or rope) whether BL killed himself or he fell into the swamp or he was attacked by animals. He's left his family with ALL this ambiguity, another of his messes to clean up.

I imagine they had his lawyer's undertaking he was where e said he was going to be.
I'm not sure how much they could have done about that because Gabby was still a missing person at that stage.
I just can't get over the fact that they repeatedly stated with confidence that they KNEW where BL was. They didn't know. The statement they released today basically admitted it, saying they were "working with the best intelligence on what we thought at the time." They lied to the community, which to me is a massive breach of trust and confidence. They could have equivocated, they could have said, "The Laundrie attorney says BL is in such-and-such place," or even "The Laundrie family is not releasing that information," but instead NPPD stated several times that they knew his whereabouts. If they hadn't made those statement, if they hadn't pretended that they had BL in their sights, I wonder if efforts might have begun sooner to keep tabs on him, officially or unofficially.

I hope, if nothing else, that LE will take that to heart going forward on future cases, and not give a false sense of security to the community when something like this happens again. If you don't know where your POI is, haven't had a single set of eyes on him to confirm he's in your jurisdiction, please don't say you do.

He did escape justice, IMO. Ask any family member of a murder victim where the perpetrator has absconded or committed suicide. I would think they feel somewhat cheated.
We will only know when or it they ate asked, And they will be.

I think Gabby and Brian loved each other to death. Whenever I see women, who do not have a solid group of female friends, and men, that do not have a solid base of male friends..........trouble................ love is just too intense.

I feel this is the root of all. Brian was not evil. Gabby was certainly not evil. Their relationship was just toxic....and at the end of the day, I feel this will be proven.

None of the parents deserved this pain or fame. And neither did Gabby. Brian went out of control, and he is the obvious blame game here.

That he pondered how to get out of , or around this was a mental game for sure.... for a couple of weeks.

But, at the end of the day, I still think that the final action of going to the Reserve to die, was because he really, truly could not live without her.
This isn’t a Romeo and Juliet story. Someone brutally put his hands around Gabby’s throat and, while inches from her face, choked the life out of her. If it was Brian Laundrie, that is the very opposite of love in every sense of the word.

Agree with you in the broader sense - the whole case has been full of contradictory statements & have said many times it's so frustrating to pin things down even though I try & recheck the links & get the facts & quotes straight. Often the quotes themselves are inaccurate.

But re this particular memory failure from the Ls, because I don't know why the L's made this mistake I just can't judge if that was deceit, callousness or memory loss.

I can't even get a basic handle on the Laundrie parents because I have never heard them speak.

Which is in and of itself, a kind of clue. Some people would not be able to stay silent in this situation. I figure that the family culture favors being taciturn, reticent and quiet. Seems to extend to both C and her husband. Just because some people are like this, doesn't make them weird - because there a lot of people who are like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knownstranger07