Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree @Claire182 that the attorney's statements to the media regarding C sounded as if he was throwing her to the wolves. The attorney stated that she wasn't being truthful regarding when she last saw BL. IMO that upset C enough that she went outside and gave the protesters her version of events. She wasn't the only one who mixed up her dates. The L's couldn't remember the correct date of when they last saw their son and ended up changing the date later on. They lived with BL and were the last people to see him alive and yet they gave the wrong date when they first reported him missing to LE. However that wasn't mentioneded by the L's attorney at the time he was pointing out C's supposed discrepancy to MSM. It was mentioned much later.
SB never said Cassie was not being truthful.
FAod1-HWYAUluDz

https://twitter.com/JossieCarbonare/status/1443999448460374018/photo/1

I wish the misinformation will stop spreading people are taking misinformation as fact and keep repeating it. JMO

That doesn't seem right. If that's true then all LE/courts would need to do to break 5th amendment protections is drum up a civil suit against a suspect and force them to speak.
You literally cannot force a person to speak, civil or criminal. I guess my point is that in a civil case the two parties are both civilians (not a prosecutor charging) so by not responding to the plaintiffs questions, the inference is not good and more likely would favor the plaintiffs.

He could have had access to some of the best medical and psychiatric practitioners around, .... all these things you speak of there, he had those opportunities...

I think he had had enough of himself. A life of rolling failure, even Brian must have seen the endgame, .. I have no doubts he was chin up and resolute , man of the woods thing, right to the last., He would not have wanted to give up the persona he had clothed himself in. I went back and looked at that Moab incident again, and Brian is actually persuading himself most of all that he holds all the strings, runs this circus, man in charge.

I don't hold any hope that he wrote a sorry note. Not Brian. He would maintain that Gabby provoked him, he being such a calm rational guy and her being OCD and all that.

He would probably maintain he was misunderstood, misapprehended, misadvised, but most of all he was misanthropic. People infested places, and he suddenly realised he was part of the infestation and not part of the pest control.
I agree with you. There have been posts that mention his suicide (if his death was by his own hand) resulting from guilt or shame, even remorse. But personally I believe he did so because he could not face a trial or prison....no, he could not accept to be controlled by others. He needed to be in control.....just like being in control of Gabby, in control of whatever the issue was in that last outing to the Piggy place (forgot the name), etc. There was no other way out for him.

I think I'm in the minority thinking this will turn out to be such an easier route for Gabby's family, than if he had been brought back to stand trial. There's now no trial, no standing by while a faction insists on his innocence, no having cameras shoved in their faces while they come and go from the courthouse, no attending parole hearings every few years, no putting up with "where is he now" updates in the media on how he's doing, etc.

It's done. Now they can focus on her foundation, and raising their other children and making life as bearable as possible for them.
I agree with you. The only think is they still don't know exactly what happened. That is something they as parents would want to know. I believe they will need that information to finally move on. JMO

I agree @Claire182 that the attorney's statements to the media regarding C sounded as if he was throwing her to the wolves. The attorney stated that she wasn't being truthful regarding when she last saw BL. IMO that upset C enough that she went outside and gave the protesters her version of events. She wasn't the only one who mixed up her dates. The L's couldn't remember the correct date of when they last saw their son and ended up changing the date later on. They lived with BL and were the last people to see him alive and yet they gave the wrong date when they first reported him missing to LE. However that wasn't mentioneded by the L's attorney at the time he was pointing out C's supposed discrepancy to MSM. It was mentioned much later.
So he was doing the right things for his clients, which is his job

His family could/should have turned him over to police on Sept 1. He'd still be alive had they done that! MOO

But the young couple had a pattern of breaking up/parting from each other. I do ponder two scenarios though. Did either parent look inside the van? Was Gabby's stuff still there? Because if my kid came home with a van registered to someone else, their SO, I would ask how that person was now carting their stuff around. How are they moving around the Western US without the van? I'd ask my kid if it was such a bad break-up that they aren't speaking at all.

And of course, I"d answer the phone from the other family.

I tend to think, therefore, that BL may have taken Gabby's few belongings out of the van to make it look as if she was now continuing onward with her vlogging, by bus or in the company of someone else. If her stuff was still there, boy would I be upset and suspicious.

The Laundrie way of handling this has left me with many questions.

Agreed. OJ alive. The other not. But in a civil suit they could use the process to force the parents to answer questions regarding the timeline of when BL went on the run in conjunction with a federal arrest warrant for the credit card use. If the FBI has knowledge of communication between son and parents after that time and the L’s failed to be truthful, then there’s something to talk about. The 5th Amendment right to not be a witness against yourself is not applicable in a civil suit (7th Amend) because if the L’s were to lose, they cannot lose their liberty (go to jail).

I'm just not really seeing this surviving a motion to dismiss (failure to state a claim on which relief can be granted). Without seeing or knowing anything of FL's laws on intentional infliction of emotional distress in particular, can't really say with any precision, but every civil suit requires that you allege facts that, if true, at least meet the basic requirements of a claim. It's not a particularly high burden, but it creates a baseline for a lawsuit to go forward into discovery, etc.

A glaring issue in general would be the "intentional" part of such a claim. Generally that would mean some level of intending to cause the harm to the Ps/Ss, not just intentionally not speaking publicly during the investigation (which was their right, as well).

Just filing a lawsuit doesn't mean you now have power to force people to speak on anything under the sun.

Eight years ago I wrote ‘that’ note for my family, swallowed a bottle of pills, that was hard, the second one was even harder-the hardest thing I’ve ever made myself do. I’m alive talking to y’all so I was found in time. The bravest thing I’ve ever done is look each one in their face, beg for forgiveness and start all over. The police kept that note. Everyone read it including police and first responders. They let my family call my oldest daughter and read it on the phone. They said the only way I could retrieve it is to go and sign for it. It’s still there at the PD in some old file folder in a dusty box…

I lost a dear friend to suicide 3 years ago. The first attempt with pills didn't work, but the next time she used a gun. I'm so glad there was no next time for you.

The image of that note in an old file in a dusty box. I felt that.

Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your story, @imstilla.grandma.

Wow! So apparently teeth were found, which would make me wonder if the remains included a skull or jaw bone, etc. Hopefully it wasn't just loose teeth.
I wish he could have faced the consequences for his behavior and at the same time I am glad that he is no longer on the loose putting the public in possible danger. There are few things more dangerous than a man with nothing to lose. IMO.

A lot of time these types of civil suits are about exposing info publicly and not about money. For instance, LE may not prosecute the parents and LE might not ever release info gathered. But a civil suit will bring the truth out and the parents will not be able to hide.

Moo.

To bring a civil suit, you would first need a cause of action.

If they knew anything what about aiding and abetting?

Maybe but that's a criminal charge. It's not something the family can sue for in a civil action. It's an action that can be brought by the State (as in federal or small "s" state.) Not that I think there is any evidence the Laundries aided and abetted a fugitive from facing justice--- on the CC charge. Remember he wasn't a fugitive based on GP's death.
JMO

Go after the Laundrie's for answers.
9/17:
“You know what. Forget helping at this point. We know that he’s a one-legged man in an *advertiser censored*-kicking contest right now,” Joe says on Friday, September 17, after expressing frustration that Laundrie was not cooperating with authorities. “There are ways that he could turn around, through his parents or whoever knows something in that house that can give us information without incriminating somebody. I don’t care right now. I want my daughter. The entire planet is invested in this and looking for her and there are three people in North Port who haven’t lifted a finger.”

They got into another argument on August 12, during which she had “gone into a manic state” becuase she thought he was “going to leave her in Moab without a ride.”
Gabby-Petitos-Dad-Called-Fiance-Brian-Laundrie-Useless-Ahead-of-His-Disappearance.jpg

Gabby Petito's Dad Says Brian Laundrie Was 'Useless' Before Disappearance

Here is a question - What does the Sunshine Law cover? Is any of it applicable here?

Florida's Government-in-the-Sunshine Law was enacted in 1967. Today, the Sunshine Law regarding open government can be found in Chapter 286 of the Florida Statutes. These statutes establish a basic right of access to most meetings of boards, commissions and other governing bodies of state and local governmental agencies or authorities.

ETA: former and current law enforcement and former and current financials investigators are exempt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member