Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #79

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a video posted by another member yesterday. It is authentic and the words come straight from Steven Bertolino. It was discussion that started last night on a previous thread. The discussion began because of the Daily Mail article but became more important in light of this interview.

I see that this discussion was missed by some posters, but this does not mean that it came from nowhere and was without a basis. It was sourced, this video together with the Daily Mail article, and every post on it has been noted as speculation, opinion, and conjecture. No one to my knowledge has stated this as fact so I hope this clears any confusion.

It was something worth discussing and fleshing out. Because something is going on. It may not be an immunity deal and many of us hope it is not. But, there's something here we don't know. And, this was the point of it.

[8:04] SB: "This case is not over. I have yet to speak to FBI personnel. I have yet to speak with Northport Police. I have yet to speak to the Assistant US Attorney, Ms. Romine out in Wyoming. Um, there are certain things that need to be done and...and I should say wrapped up (emphasis mine) before we can have further conversations of what, um, may or may not have been done differently."

[8:35] Q: Do you think your clients, the Laundries, will eventually be charged with crimes?
A: I have no reason to believe that.

[9:00] This is the mark of your quote above. You know what several weeks ago would have coincided with? A face to face proffer in Orlando. MOO (This was to @Figuring's quote of:
“Conversations were had several weeks ago with the FBI with respect to certain charges,” he [SB] said. “When questioned and when communications were had between myself and the FBI, I think it was realized that charges were not appropriate.”]

[At 9:35] he admits there were charges against the parents discussed. Q: misdemeanor or felony charges?
Another extended pause
A: "I...I..(stutter again) don't know what level of crime or charge was um, in the mix..."

He proceeds to insist no deal was cut (it's not a crime to lie to the press, and the deal is likely awaiting being signed off on now that they have located Brian, if there is a deal so technically this would not be a lie). He also proceeds to normalize it - that conversations about criminal exposure are oh so normal. Then he proceeds to bash the legal analysts in MSM - again. ( The "There's not a smarter guy in the room than me, Steven Bertolino" mentality again. MOO)
He also reveals at the end that he's been in contact with GPs' family attorney - this kicks the likelihood of a deal up a notch IMO. And, also diminishes the probability of any civil suit. The family will get some answers it seems to me. MOO

As far as the balance of the video he lied again right out of the gate. MOO He said he watched Cassie and Brian grow up when he admitted to Mani Hughes after being pressed that this was actually NOT true. It astonishing. He's truly a piece of work. MOO

Was the prompt to go look for Brian the fact that the park was open? That never seemed plausible. Or, was it because they had an immunity deal? MOO

"John Q Public" as he refers to us, believe your credibility is shot. That's why. MOO

If his clients got a deal then as far as he is concerned the matter of his or their involvement has been put to bed. So, no wonder he's talking so much. This is another thing I couldn't understand - why this guy would not stop talking. Looks like we may now know why.

Oh, and this is all JMO.
bbm
Thanks for transcribing this for the rest of us, @Jurisprudence !
You rock.
And for the fact that he is on record saying this and it's not speculation.

It looks as if he's not finished talking about Brian's side of this case.
It would've been nice if he mentioned Gabby and what he knows about her final days after being rendered unable to contact her worried family.
That's if he knows something, he could make this case more about Gabby ?

Re. the lavender bolded : If SB is telling the truth about this; it'll be some relief to Gabby's family !
They've waited so long for answers.

Re. the green bolded : Why is he openly lying ? What does he have to gain from this other than losing credibility ?
As far as his John Q Public reference -- it's as if he knows, and doesn't care about the accuracy of his words.
Not sure that reckless would begin to explain it.
We at WS are the John Q. Public; as well as the actual public -- who are listening to what he has to say.
And yes, we believe his credibility is baseless and without foundation.
Even if he claims no deal was struck for immunity for the Laundrie's, the truth may be the opposite of what he says.

Smh that anyone thought he'd be a competent criminal counsel for the L.'s.
Was he a real estate lawyer in the past ?
Wonder if any of his former clients had any issues with the property he was listing ?
Something to think about.
Imo.

I wish I could like this a million times. Per usual, you are right on the money.

Something is going on behind the scenes.

He could be saying there isn't an agreement/deal just because it hasn't been signed. Which technically is true up until all the T's are crossed, I's dotted and the deal/agreement is finally signed. It's surprising to me, that even though he is an attorney, how often he stumbles over the statements he obviously finds troublesome. Then again, he isn't necessarily a trial attorney. It's almost like a child who isn't telling the truth and hems and haws when asked specific details.
IMO.
Agreed.
If SB says it didn't happen, it looks as if he means that it did happen.
If that makes sense, lol.
Imo.

I don't need the help. (I thought you knew this) But, thank you, lol. I do appreciate it.
Errr....what? I said nothing about anyone needing help. @Alethea is a vetted and verified attorney on this thread and her legal experience and expertise on this thread is invaluable when the thread veers into legal territory. She explained this all very well to us non-attorney people. jmo

I had thought , because of the consequences of him coming back to Florida, that it turned out so bad, so appalling, that he wanted it that way, a sort of revenge, payback, .. even , it crossed my mind, that he was going to take the whole family out as well. Just because. In for a penny, in for a pound, you might as well be hung for a sheep instead of just a lamb, etc.. all this kind of stuff...

That he had unfinished business of a wipeout nature.. It isn't improbable.

That hiking for three days. Then coming back to the scene of the crime.. I just don't know what that could signify... He had the entire USA at his disposal. Coast to coast, and just a hop away to the Canadian tundra... ... His mind must have been like a beehive , one difficulty followed by a solution that brings up another difficulty..

I agree. Both the trip back to Florida to supposedly clean out the storage locker while Gabby stayed in another state alone and the post homicide hitchhiking, stick out as not belonging to the rest of the story. IMO.

If you scroll back up, you will see this was addressed by the verified attorney on the thread, @Alethea. She explains it clearly and concisely. jmo
Oh yes I'd forgotten about that! I'll bring it over just in case anyone missed it.
This is the first thing SB said that makes sense to me. This happens all the time.

Here's an imaginary scenario based on actual conversations I have had representing witnesses in federal investigations:

FBI: Look, we don't think your clients are cooperating enough. We searched Carlton Reserve, he's not there. If we find out your clients knew he planned to run away and assisted in his escape, they can be liable as accessories after the fact. We know they helped him, they were photographed bringing meal kit boxes outside.
SB: On the advice of counsel, my clients are not going to do your job for you. My clients do not need to prosecute their own son, who ran away in the middle of an episode. That's your job. We already handed over their phones, emails, and GPS information - what you'll see is 2 panicked parents who have no idea where their son is but they're worried he's hanging from a tree at Myakkahatchee Creek park. They have not spoken to him since he walked out the door on 9/13 and you will find no evidence otherwise because none exists.
FBI: Well, we'll review the records. We still think your clients should provide more information including what Brian may have said about Gabby. You know how it looks for them, if they help us it can turn things around for them. If we find one untrue statement from them, we will be looking into charges.
SB: They have no idea where he is. We are the ones who filed the missing persons report. Once you review the records you'll see they had no idea. They were ready to protect their son as you know, they didn't want him to end up dead. Otherwise, I am advising them not to speak to you further as it's clear you will look for any speaking mistake to threaten my clients further.

That's how you get threatened with charges and then charges are not brought because there's no evidence to support the claims.

it’s all just speculative, but it would seem he figured he might be able to just ignore and pretend nothing happened and get away with it as long as possible. It always was weird to me why he hiked for three days after Gabby was already dead. Did he think someone would find her and this would be his alibi but it didn’t happen?

You’re absolutely right though. By him returning to Florida all he accomplished was likely causing further pain to Gabby’s family. And also, it vilified his family as well. Whereas if he had ended his life there in Wyoming, the van would have been parked for a while and someone would have noticed. I believe this would have become a news story, but not what it became. It would have also mostly left his family out of the spotlight.
I think Brian was in a state of shock and denial after Gabby died. I don't think it started to wear off until he was home. When it finally hit him, he took his last hike.

Do you think that lack of proper control of evidence will have a detrimental affect on the State's ability to prosecute the case?
Well I don’t think there’s going to be any prosecution in the case because the murderer is dead. It just shows the incompetence of North Port PD. They’ve been incompetent since the get go.

I agree. Both the trip back to Florida to supposedly clean out the storage locker while Gabby stayed in another state alone and the post homicide hitchhiking, stick out as not belonging to the rest of the story. IMO.
B... that is what it is.. that's what is aggravating.. those little deviations in the journey are indicative of some other sort of larger, more darker deviation to the story going on. You are on the money on that one.

Even if he claims no deal was struck for immunity for the Laundrie's, the truth may be the opposite of what he says.

Nothing has come out to refute SB's statement that no deal was on the table or ever was on the table. We can speculate all we want, but there is NO evidence on hand about any deal. imo

Gabby Petito case: Laundrie family attorney speaks out after discovery of Brian's remains

To Note:
"Did Brian tell the Laundries anything about what happened to Gabby before he disappeared?" Stephanopoulos asked.

"George, that's not something I can comment on right now, and I'd like to just leave it at that," Bertolino said.

"Well, if you can't comment on it, that means you know something about it," Stephanopoulos said.

"Well, I think everybody out there knows that whether the family or myself have some information share, there's not that much that we can say at this point in time and I'm going to leave it at, no comment," Bertolino said.

"Is that because they've been cooperating with the FBI," Stephanopoulos asked.

"George, I've been quite clear on this from the very beginning. When it comes to the FBI we have nothing to say in respect to the Gabby Petito incident. With respect to Brian, we've been cooperating since day one. And those are two different, from a legal perspective, those are two different scenarios, one was the missing persons with Brian, one was the missing persons with Gabby."

Bertolino concluded the interview by saying that so far, the Laundrie family had nothing to say to the Petito family. He had yet to speak to the Laundries Friday morning.

Well I don’t think there’s going to be any prosecution in the case because the murderer is dead. It just shows the incompetence of North Port PD. They’ve been incompetent since the get go.

So they are incompetent since they didn't police the reserve of all the trash brought in by the rainstorms to not be used in a non-existent trial?

There’s also a snippet here where SB briefly addresses it

Public attention turns to Laundrie's parents after his remains found

"There was no deal," Bertolino said. "There were certainly conversations, as one would expect happens in every criminal case. You always have conversations with the prosecutors ... but no deal was cut. The Laundries have been cooperating with law enforcement, both locally and federally, since day one with respect to Brian."
And, we all hope not. MOO

That's what I always tell my daughter. Would you rather be philosophically correct, or raped/dead?

My wife and I have this discussion about when she was young all the things her mother didn't allow her to do but would allow her brothers to do. At the time, when she was a child, she was infuriated by her mothers actions, but as she grew older and learned how the world worked she was no longer infuriated with her mother, but instead was infuriated at how the world worked.

Gonna sign off for the night but just want to bring my thoughts back to Gabby. We’ve necessarily been fixated on BLs death & SBs media appearances the last few days, but I’m just taking a moment to say I’m thinking of her & her loved ones. She should be here & free. I think what her family said about doing what you want to do in this life is so important. Gabby was a courageous & creative young woman, & I hope the publicity of this case helps other women develop the capacity to identify partners who aren’t good for them, & embank on their dreams. JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member