Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #79

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen posts even here, that claim Brian was a serial killer who just didn't have enough time to kill additional girls. Or that the bodies of his past victims have not been found yet. And that the murder was planned for months. Those voices are magnified across the internet. And extreme, negative voices are the ones most often heard and repeated. He has been described as evil, a monster, etc.

Though I do think Brian killed Gabby, I'm not personally comfortable with such labels. I don't know Brian. I don't know what happened. Gabby loved him. His family loved him. He was remorseful enough that he (most likely) took his own life. Surely there was more to Brian than just being a cold killer.

SBs statement about Gabby was ill advised. And nothing excuses her death. But I do understand the frustration of having a loved one vilified and Gabby portrayed as an angel. Extreme viewpoints are rarely true.
Agree those comments about being a serial killer are just nuts, I don’t believe this was planned. SB should not even respond to that nonsense. Unfortunately in the age of the internet those type of comments come with the territory. I have seen this reaction, off the wall nonsensical theories in almost every case I have followed. I understand the frustration of having your client portrayed this way. I don’t quite get that it would bother him though about people wanting to say nice things about Gabby. MOO

Did they have luggage with them when they left? I thought just a back pack. Maybe they already had planned to get away for a bit? Weren’t there some cartons already packed up? Iirc they went to mail some packages, but it was the day before they went to the reserve.
I had hoped they mailed some of GP things to the Ps.

Could they have possibly mailed their own things to a preplanned get away location??
And then went to the reserve???

just like everything else with this case, the timeline is crazy…., that would be nuts right?
There's no way I would have carted luggage to the truck in view of the press and the crazies. That would have guaranteed those people would have followed them to their destination come hell or high water. Pack a tooth brush, a few changes of underwear and call it good. It's exactly what I would have done. imo

I honestly can’t imagine he thought he’d get away with it. He fled the scene of the crime but seemingly made zero attempts to hide his tracks. He didn’t hide her body, used her debit card repeatedly, drove the van home and parked it in the driveway of all places… and as soon as the police came knocking he fled again and killed himself. I was tempted to say maybe he planned to kill himself from the getgo but there’s very little evidence he planned anything ahead.
ITA, jtfolden. It appears to me that, through repeated examples, his standard operating procedure when faced with challenges beyond his ability ~ he runs. As evidenced by the Moab incident: 'distance myself', 'take a breather', 'started to walk away' ~ All used explaining the violence as he had her keys and van and wanted to 'walk away.' It's possible that the still confusing trip back to FL, purportedly to empty a storage locker, also supports this 'flight' behavior. Some here on WS have speculated that CaL might have even stopped herself in mid-sentence before confirming the same notion, ". . . that's what he does when . . ."
So, yes, I believe his ingrained reaction to problems is to run. And one runs for self-preservation. That's why I thought suicide was unlikely.
But now with the id of his body, I'm not as sure. Perhaps he had time to realize the hopelessness of escape and decided to make his final and ultimate flight. Just my mooings. :confused:

Did they have luggage with them when they left? I thought just a back pack. Maybe they already had planned to get away for a bit? Weren’t there some cartons already packed up? Iirc they went to mail some packages, but it was the day before they went to the reserve.

Could they have possibly mailed their own things to a preplanned get away location??

just like everything else with this case, the timeline is crazy…., that would be nuts right?

IIRC, someone upthread posted a link from a journalist who has been at the home and he said that ChrL had placed some boxes in the red truck the night before they left the house, so they may have wanted to pack up the truck the night before with items they would need for their trip, and in the morning when they left they just carried their last minute essentials. The journalist said that when ChrL and RL left in the morning, he expressed his condolences and that ChrL thanked him. Good to see the media acting humanely at this point and acknowledging their grief.

Those reports though are what was given to Fox News in response to their FOIA request for the 911 incident reports. The last one dated 9/17/21 says “missing person”. IMO someone in the house called 911 to report a missing person. It also had a higher level of response than the other three calls that day.
That report is not the entire missing person report. It is only the report produced for the 911 response. Moo
Those aren't 911 incident reports. The verbiage LE uses is "Call Summary". That doesn't mean actual 911 calls, or calls at all. "Call" is LE terminology for all police contact or responses to a location for any reason. jmo

thanks for clip. That forensic anthro explains that poisons cannot be detected via exam of the bones but it reminded me that another expert said this yesterday:

@wpbf_jossie

“Wherever there are bones if there is a gunshot, that will be obvious. If he took a poison they would literally have to go into the bones and figure out if that’s what caused the death.” - Forensic studies professor, David Thomas, Florida Gulf Coast University

Probably as long as SB continues his media tour? JMO.

I'm sure that adds to the situation, but the so-called "protestors" were at the Laundrie's home long before SB started talking to the media tour. Until the media leave, there will always be those who gather for their hoped for 15 minutes of fame.

Agree those comments about being a serial killer are just nuts, I don’t believe this was planned. SB should not even respond to that nonsense. Unfortunately in the age of the internet those type of comments come with the territory. I have seen this reaction, off the wall nonsensical theories in almost every case I have followed. I understand the frustration of having your client portrayed this way. I don’t quite get that it would bother him though about people wanting to say nice things about Gabby. MOO
I don't agree with his response, but I do understand it. Think of a situation where two mothers take their girls to the park. One little girl throws trash on the ground. In front of everyone.

To have everyone continually say your little girl is a bad person, but the other little girl is perfect would grate after awhile. MY girl would never do that. MY girl is perfect. YOUR girl is irresponsible. YOUR girl should be punished. I'M a great mom. YOUR girl was raised badly.

All the while you're remembering the minor infractions the perfect girl made throughout the years. After awhile, I can see the Mom of the littering girl to snap back that the other girl wasn't so perfect either. Just human nature. Though as I said, extremely ill advised.

This is a very simplistic answer. Obviously murder does not equate to ANYTHING Gabby may have done. But the emotions behind the statements are the same.

BBM

IMO

Almost everything in poor Gabby's case has been sketchy.

And yes, I thought from the start that NP police might've been in over their heads but they didn't want any take-overs.

That didn't have to happen.

I've seen many cases where the authorities in small jurisdictions recognized they didn't have the experience, skill, or tools to handle certain cases, so they called in the state. (Or FBI.)

I thought that would happen.

But here we are.

All MOO

I think this case shows how LE needs training in DV abuse cases, and use this as a what NOT to do. (I'm not anti-LE, in fact, I'm pro-LE/FBI. I have family members in NYC LE/FBI) I just think LE needs more training in recognizing signs of DV.

Well, then, truly, they should have excavated the entire pond area and taken out bags and bags of sludge. All of that is far more likely to indicate cause of death than the water bottle. But they didn't - I believe it's because CoD might have been fairly obvious.

No one I know who does forensic investigation would have operated off the assumption that a body found in that place, with several items of Brian's nearby, was anyone but Brian - all the dental evidence did was confirm it legally. LE are not ignorant nor willfully negligent, they knew who it was, with near certainty.

And again, all of the organic matter under where the bones were found (down to a depth of say 3 feet) would be good evidence - but they didn't take that either. I think it's because they had a pretty good idea about CoD. They just aren't sharing that until they get the forensic anthropologist to weigh in on things like how much force it took to blow the skull apart (without the anthropologist knowing what weapon was found - because that's not how things go in a forensic investigation; anthropologist must work separately). If the anthropologist says, "Sure looks like a single gunshot wound, at point blank or near point blank firing, with X lbs of pressure exerted at the top of the skull and the entry point being at the back of the lower jaw" (I'm just making this up - but that's the kind of thing we anthropologists weigh in on), and then LE has a gun that is capable of that injury - they're going to say CoD is a gunshot wound, even if they didn't find the bullet.

Sure, they can go back and excavate an area of several acres looking for the bullet, or they can take a bunch of sludge out of the pond looking for a casing, but...do they need to in this circumstance? If so, why isn't every single crime investigated in this manner - each one costing upwards of $6M, which is about where the bill is for this one, right now.

Meanwhile, crimes all over the US get little attention and far less expenditure. Gabby and Brian are both dead. Tips will be followed up, but there are no other suspects or POI's. If someone hated both of them enough to follow them all around the US, killing them at separate times and staging a suicide, well, that's a first in the legal and forensic annals, and...we will probably never know the "true killer."

Me. personally, I'm going to go with what the coroners say. Always room for error, people can continue to believe many things about this case, but I do hope both families are left in peace, because their grieving process has only just begun. I also pray that no further harm comes to any of the family members or LE or attorneys involved in this case.
IMO no competent LEO tasked with collecting evidence would make a call on COD in the field, even if it seemed “fairly obvious”. That’s not their job. That determination would only be made by a highly trained individual, often after a microscopic level of examine and lab analysis, an examination that can not be made in the field. You’re correct, I’m going to go with what the coroner, or in this case, forensic anthropologist, says. In the video posted above of Dr. Reichs, IMO, she makes a clear statement regarding why I believe that water bottle should have been collected, “Poisoning would not show up on bone.”

Any fracture of the bone, while obvious in the field, could have been the result of a postmortem force as well, and not be COD. Jmo

Bertolino told News Nation’s Ashleigh Banfield that he would go hiking often, so his parents weren’t concerned about him leaving to go to the reserve.

He’s a young man; they weren’t concerned,” Bertolino said. “They thought he was … clearing his mind.”
……………………………………………………………………………………
“What I’ll say is that we were the ones doing everything in our power to get answers on this. If mistakes were made, there’s human error involved in every investigation. It certainly wasn’t from a lack of taking it seriously or hustle or knowledge. Sometimes things happen,” North Port police spokesman Josh Taylor said.
Brian Laundrie’s parents ‘grieving privately in Florida’ with daughter Cassie; cause of death unknown, lawyer says | WFLA
*I wrote a couple of paragraphs addressing the “weren’t concerned” and the “sometimes things happen” phrases. I just backspaced and deleted it one character and breath at a time to calm my inner voice. Otherwise, my disdain for the L’s, SB, JT & NPPD…I don’t wanna stand in the corner. Or by the pencil sharpener.

I stand by my earlier posts regarding the trip back to Florida to "clean out a storage locker." Something about that time period makes all the difference in this case. Now with the parents immunity possibilities being discussed- I thought of something.
What if BL traveled back to Florida because he wanted to meet with an attorney (or his parents wanted him to meet with an attorney) regarding the Moab stop. Perhaps BL was fearful that if anything came of that stop legally, GP could use it as an example and go after him for multiple occurrences of violence at his hand. Perhaps he wanted to ask a lawyer what could happen. Perhaps the lawyer told him she could bring suit for whatever BL told him had happened in the past. There could have been other instances that GP caught on video or recorded herself. After the Moab stop she could have told BL she was finished with him and just wait until everyone sees what I have recorded/on video, etc. The attorney could have told BL depending on what she had as evidence, BL could be screwed. Which would have enraged BL and he would have stewed about it as he was travelling back to GP from the locker clean out. The day BL first spoke to an attorney could be prior to GP's death regarding the possible violence in their relationship. IMO.

oh, damn...that could be!
I do think if I had an adult son on a van trip I'd offer to move the boxes for him to save him $$$.
But meeting with an attorney could be.
All I know August 12th was a huge event and that trip home was another because when he returned it seemed to go wrong, quickly. It ramped up not the opposite.

I'm curious...
Does anyone recall reading or hearing if Gabby had her Apple watch on when she was found?
Does anyone recall reading or hearing what kind of Apple watch she had?
Was it the kind that monitored pulse, heart rate, oxygen, miles walked etc.?
Was it the type that could record audio via a 3rd party app?

I keep wondering if by some chance her watch, if she was wearing it, could play a significant role in narrowing down or zeroing in on her time of death given the right circumstances.

Was there any cellular data networks in the area that her watch could connect to?

It was a remote area and BL did tell his hitch hike drivers that his fiancé was working on her van life social media blog. If there's any truth to her working on her blog while at Spread Creek before she died, that would also mean it may have been possible for her watch to connect....

Personally, I think his camping alone-hitch hiking story to the folks giving him rides was, with bits of past truth sprinkled in, bs for cover purposes. I think Gabby was deceased when he was hitch hiking.

I don't even want to think about a third-party app that would enable audio recordings on her watch.
I just can't go there. :(

Photo link: Brian's Instagram
Login • Instagram

Attachments

• Gabby Apple Watch - BL Instagram.png
    Gabby Apple Watch - BL Instagram.png
    980.6 KB · Views: 31
I'm sure that adds to the situation, but the so-called "protestors" were at the Laundrie's home long before SB started talking to the media tour. Until the media leave, there will always be those who gather for their hoped for 15 minutes of fame.
And the more people on SM and forums pay attention and complain about them, the longer they will stay, IMHO

He didn't exactly say "Gabby was no angel." He said something like he wasn't sure the description of Brian as an evil serial killer and Gabby as an angel, was entirely accurate.

They were just normal young adults, who fought and argued too much and probably never should have been together.

I wish Gabby had been able to get out sooner. I wonder if she had finally told him she wanted to separate. Maybe she really did have plans to move back to NY. I think the threat of leaving would have been enough to set Brian off. Imo

My feeling has always been that what set BL off was Gabby's going back into the restaurant to apologize for his behavior on Aug 27. My belief is that he killed her that night.

yes the misper protocols sound like they need rationalising & unifying across states but IDK how realistic that is in USA ( easier to reform these procedures across regional & national forces within the UK)

So the case was initially passed to suffolk county, I believe he said, because in his view the couple 'had moved back to new york' ( That clip we we're all discussing saturday here)
Yes, that's because that is the guise NY used to take the report. NY fudged a bit and used NY as Gabby's current address (even though she hadn't lived there in quite some time) and listed FL as Gabby's previous address.

"Gabby Petito’s mother Nichole Schmidt called the North Port Police Department on Sept. 10, hoping to file a missing person report, according to a department spokesperson. North Port police told the family they had to file the report in her last known location was, not in North Port, because of department policy and Florida law."

fba-a3rwqauk-wo-jpeg.316818

Gabby Petito investigation timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members