Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #80

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by PommyMommy, Sep 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fleur-de-lis

Fleur-de-lis Merrily we scroll along

Question: Is LE looking for more of BL still? Or did they stop? Because I don't have a lot of faith in their searching skills. Not a slam on LE; just an observation, MOO. They need to take a look, try to understand how water would have flowed, look at animal trails (the very small, low trails like raccoons make), look very carefully. MOO.

2. Bertha96

Bertha96 Well-Known Member

I would imagine that BL kept her from having many friends. Isolating a partner from loved ones and friends, jealousy, feelings of inadequacy compared to others in her life, etc. are all hallmarks of the type of relationship they appeared to be in. IMO.

3. ctmom

ctmom Well-Known Member

This appears to have all happened surrounding the midnight hour between Sept. 11th & Sept. 12th.

In the AB interview, SB admitted he spoke with BL on the 12th & the 13th.
    SB could very well have spoken to BL shortly after midnight, hence the 12th.

*Note that SB omitted saying that he spoke with BL before the 12th & the 13th, instead saying:
    "any conversations on the 11th and before is off limits"
    This is a Red Flag, imo.

I thoroughly believe SB spoke with at least CL (about Gabby & BL's involvement) in his role as a friend prior to 11:30 pm on the 11th, what SB now claims was the time of the 1st call on this matter
    and he specifically stressed to AB that any conversations between Sept 1st and Sept 11th are off limits.

I'm willing to bet that very shortly after or during that 11:30 conversation on the 11th, is when SB realized/decided he should be officially retained . IMO

Note* Gabby's van was towed at approx. 11:00 pm on Sept 11th...
    approx. 1/2 hour before that 11:30 pm call.

4. cady

cady Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  5. Loveallmyhorsesdogsandcats

Loveallmyhorsesdogsandcats Well-Known Member

So you think neither the attorney nor the Laundries would even ask where Brian is? I don’t think so, does not add up. LE called SB about the Tampa tip, they were not keeping the search secret MOO

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Bertha96 and ExpectingUnicorns like this.
  6. Sassafrass

Sassafrass Well-Known Member

It's not something you really have to "bank on." It simply isn't a requirement. And, as per my prior comments this morning, in this case, where SB has been their attorney for years and years, even if they had)which they didn't) some agreement that literally said "each transaction I work with you on is a limited representation and ends the day the deal closes, after which point I am not your lawyer even if you communicate with me privately for legal advice," they
    would probably still have the benefit of privilege and it is likely an attorney client relationship would be imputed when they approached him about the GP/BL stuff.

Typically, an attorney intending not to have the A-c relationship extend beyond a specific matter would formally withdraw. Anyone who's been divorced and engaged an attorney for that purpose likely saw the filing that stated that the attorney's representation is terminated as of the date the decree is issued by the court. That's an effort to cap their obligations of all types, end the A-c relationship. Even then, though, if you call them up in year with a new issue and they proceed to give you specific legal advice, then they're acting as an attorney and owe you those duties even before you sign a new agreement or pay any sort of fee.

7. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science."- Liet Kynes

bbm
    That makes it sound as though there's something he wants to keep concealed.
    Imo.

8. AdahJo

AdahJo Well-Known Member

That would actually make a great book! I havent really seen that much detail about either one of them though.

LeeJay55 and Bluebythec like this.
  9. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science."- Liet Kynes

I hope Gabby's family has access to her unseen footage !!
    MOO.

customCF, x_files, Barbie619 and 6 others like this.
  10. Sassafrass

Funny - before reading this comment I used a divorce attorney as a typical case where attorneys aim to define their representation very clearly (typically resigning as of the date the divorce is granted). And disclosure + refusal to provide specific legal advice are key actions to avoid the creation of an a-c relationship.

But it can get fuzzy. As a matter of practice, many attorneys will aim to formalize the relationship (disclosure, retainer, formal conflicts check, agreement). Those all work as indicia of when the relationship began. However, if they are saying those things but in fact start giving specific legal advice and you have reason to believe they're your attorney, then they are very possibly going to be considered your attorney (with all the benefits and duties that gets you) even without their formal processes being completed/in place, if it ever comes to a question or dispute.

And again, in the Ls' case, where it's this broad, periodical, advisory relationship, even harder to argue that there was no privilege or duty of confidentiality regarding potential issues even if they didn't do or before they did a formal agreement for the matter. Broadly speaking.

11. Sassafrass

Oh, yes, friends drop/are dropped durinf/with dysfunctional or controlling relationships. If that person from HS is to be believed, though, she may have been a "loner" (which is used more negatively than it needs to be - you could say "did her own thing" or "introverted" or "free spirit" to mean the same thing) to begin with. Being independent or introverted doesn't necessarily mean "not sweet/charming/comfortable in one's skin/friendly/open.". I know lots of warm, kind, likeable, free-spirited introverts. :)

12. Coquette

Coquette Observer

France would be my first choice, though all sound very reasonable. A fresh start would serve them well after this, though I imagine they'll stay put in Florida or perhaps move back to NY. They appear to be hearty, stoic people that don't rattle easily, IMO.

My2Boys, Blue Amethyst and ShadyLady like this.
  13. NCWatcher

NCWatcher Well-Known Member

True. But the Beginning Our VanLife Journey video she put together while in the hotel contained an awful lot of footage from their first trip (California coast). So I do wonder how much new video they were getting. After all, they'd been traveling going on 2 months.
    JMO

jash, LeeJay55, Blue Amethyst and 7 others like this.
  14. cady

cady Well-Known Member

I'd guess NY. FL didn't turn out well for them. They've only been there a little over a year. No apparent friends, just Cassie and her family. jmo

My2Boys and Coquette like this.
  15. Coquette

Coquette Observer

Agreed. NY makes the most sense.

MOO.

My2Boys, LietKynes and ShadyLady like this.
  16. karen in New York

karen in New York Well-Known Member

Might also depend on where they are getting medical care. Insurance coverage and plans are sometimes dependent on location.

ShadyLady likes this.
  17. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Well-Known Member

CL does not look to be very young. And all craziness outside their door has to be affecting their health. Hopefully, this wont create another tragedy. And Cassie's children, oh my. As much as I want to walk away from this case, I feel like I am picking at bones. But, the left side of my brain, the analytical side wants to understand how and why this happened. I have had nightmares over this case. Not so clear cut as the OJ thing, or Casey or Jodi trials. Which are the few cases that I followed closely.

18. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

You can go look at the new video on her Insta (and there. was probably. more on her phone). By using the prior year's footage, she was making it seem like they had been into Van Life a bit longer - often done.

At any rate, she did use up a lot of the best footage in that one video. Just posing in front of the same places that everyone else poses is not enough - I can't remember if the posted youtube video includes her food prep situation (I think so). More shots were needed of camp life, as that's one of the main reasons for Van Life youtube channels (not the travel and scenery - which is often the focus of real travel bloggers; focus was supposed to be van life).

Mishmish, Coquette, NCWatcher and 4 others like this.
  19. AugustWest

AugustWest Well-Known Member

Since the confidentiality topic seems to be a hot one, I thought I would provide the rules attorneys follow regarding questions of ethics.

Model Rules of Professional Conduct: Model Rules of Professional Conduct - Table of Contents (americanbar.org)

The question of when privilege attaches to a client is addressed at MRPC 1.18 (Duties to Prospective Client).

Hope this helps!

20. NCWatcher

NCWatcher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I see your point. I agree there's more on her Instagram but not really as much more as I'd have thought. And maybe I don't understand video production but some of the posted videos on her IG seemed not so good to me in terms of technical quality.
    JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.