Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Missing woman disappears after road trip with boyfriend as mom reveals message to authorities

Gabby Petito, 22, set out on a road trip with her boyfriend in a converted camper van in early July to tour National Parks, but she disappeared in late August and her family hasn't heard from her in more than two weeks. Now, her mother is pleading for help finding her daughter.

Nicole Schmidt, Petito's mother, said that the last verbal conversation she had with her daughter was on Aug. 25.

"I don't know if she left Grand Teton or not," Schmidt said. "I did receive a text from her on the 27th and the 30th, but I don't know if it was technically her or not, because it was just a text. I didn't verbally speak to her."

[...]

The couple stopped in Grand Teton National Park on Aug. 25, Petito's last known location, before a planned trip to Yellowstone. They were traveling in a 2012 Ford white van that was converted into a camper.

[...]

A spokesperson for the Jackson Police Department said that an "attempt to locate" call was recently filed for Petito. The Suffolk County Police Department is also investigating the case. Suffolk County PD declined to comment on Sunday.

Petito is 5’5" and has blonde hair and blue eyes. She has a triangle tattoo with flowers on her left arm and a "Let it be" tattoo on her right arm.

Anyone who has seen Gabby or has any information on the case should contact the Suffolk County Police Department at 1-800-220-8477.

MEDIA, MAPS thread *NO DISCUSSION*

TIMELINE thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Case Players and Initials Reference List

Kick Back and Unwind - Off Topic Side Chat

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13 Thread #14 Thread #15 Thread #16 Thread #17 Thread #18 Thread #19 Thread #20 Thread #21 Thread #22 Thread #23 Thread #24 Thread #25 Thread #26 Thread #27 Thread #28 Thread #29 Thread #30 Thread #31 Thread #32 Thread #33 Thread #34 Thread #35 Thread #36 Thread #37 Thread #38 Thread #39 Thread #40 Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63 Thread #64 Thread #65 Thread #66 Thread #67 Thread #68 Thread #69 Thread #70 Thread #71 Thread #72 Thread #73 Thread #74 Thread #75 Thread #76 Thread #77 Thread #78 Thread #79 Thread #80 Thread #81
Thread #82

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread is Open:

Please acknowledge before proceeding

Emotions and frustration are running rampant in the thread and taking it out on others is not permitted. If you need a break, take a break. Continuing to engage in this fashion is not moving the conversation forward.

Of Note:
-Move on from bickering
-Let go of the domestic violence debates
-Stop bringing in mental health

Tip: When you feel most compelled to hit "post" after quickly whipping up that response, see it as a sign you need to step back and re-read what you have written before clicking that button!

*REMINDER: WS Volunteer Admins and Mods are not online 24/7. We may need some time to clean up posts against TOS* AND when there are pages of them it may require closing the thread.

STOP HERE FIRST
———————————————
Mod Note:
Websleuths has 100’s of active threads, and nearly 200k members. With only a few volunteer Mods/Admins we need your help in keeping Gabby’s threads relative, civil, and engaging. Following the rules that are clearly outlined below will support the Mod Team and enhance your experience and interactions with fellow Posters.

The Rules:
-Domestic Violence Discussions/Debates are not permitted
-The Moab Traffic Stop is no longer open for dissecting (there are 76 threads filled with this info).
-Mental Health is not permitted
-Moab double murders are not permitted unless LE were to change position at some point
-No Bickering (Ignore or “Roll and Scroll”)
-Do not suggest Gabby died by anything other than what the ME has stated (Manual Strangulation)
-Do not Trash Brians parents (You can share opinions or perspectives of events, but rise above the rest. They have not been named POI’s in the case. Stick to what is known / has been reported.)
-Any other rules as outlined in TOS

Tip: Notice if you are posting about the case or about other Posters. Posting about other Posters is off topic. This can show up in the following ways:
-“I don’t know why others……”
-Party X or Party Y “Sympathizers”
-“Some Posters…”
-“Everybody keeps ……”

In a nutshell, be aware of what the intent is behind your post. Is it to bash fellow posters or is it to discuss the case?

Thank you for your help and support!

A Very Tired Mod That Appreciates Each of You,
Tiff

I found this section of the search warrant to be very odd: (BBM)

"Brian Laundrie's family state that the subject was not at the residence and they did not know her whereabouts. They refused to allow Brian to speak with law enforcement and directed the officers on scene to speak with their attorney."

Does this mean that Brian DID want to speak with them? Why would the officer's accept such a statement from the parents instead of Brian? I can see them saying "Brian doesn't want to talk to you". But to tell the officers "we won't allow it" seems unlikely. Brian is an adult, after all. Did Brian attempt to speak to them and was stopped by his parents in front of the officer?

If Brian was prevented from speaking, I wonder what he wanted to say? (sorry if this is old, I just noticed it)

Search Warrant Hard Drive Gabby Petito Brian Laudrie | PDF (scribd.com)

"Brian Laundrie's family state that the subject was not at the residence and they did not know her whereabouts. They refused to allow Brian to speak with law enforcement and directed the officers on scene to speak with their attorney."

Does this mean that Brian DID want to speak with them? Why would the officer's accept such a statement from the parents instead of Brian? I can see them saying "Brian doesn't want to talk to you". But to tell the officers "we won't allow it" seems unlikely. Brian is an adult, after all. Did Brian attempt to speak to them and was stopped by his parents in front of the officer?

If Brian was prevented from speaking, I wonder what he wanted to say? (sorry if this is old, I just noticed it)

It could be as simple as:

Ls: "Brian does not want to talk you."

LE: "We would like to hear that from him."

Ls: "No."

I don't think BL had any desire to talk to LE and it's just very literal wording on the search warrant. They didn't deny him the opportunity to speak to LE as much as they denied LE the opportunity to speak to BL.

I understand your concern.

However, I don't find it odd necessarily. The wording from the warrant that you bolded is not part of a transcript of what was said. Rather it's the affiant's interpretation of what happened. And we don't know that the first officer even pushed talking to BL after being told "call our lawyer."
JMO

It could be as simple as:

Ls: "Brian does not want to talk you."

LE: "We would like to hear that from him."

Ls: "No."

Even that last word wasn't necessary - just close the door. Then, no one has refused LE anything. Saying "no" implies that you somehow have access to producing BL at the doorway and that you're not (at least in theories given out by prosecution and LE).

The first statement implies that the parents know where Brian is and what he wants (so I probably wouldn't say that either if I were thinking from a defense point of view - and people really should be, because if you've ever been involved with the police when they had the wrong door or the wrong person, it's not fun. At all. It's best not to speak to them. It's their job to say why they are there, you don't have to say anything back. If they have a warrant for your arrest, you have to go. But if all they've got is "A neighbor has called in a noise complaint on you - we can hear there is no noise, but we have to respond to every complaint so here we are." (And you know exactly who that neighbor is, and this isn't the first time - and you're not making any noise). Don't say, "This is the third time this has happened and every time I feel harassed!"

Nope. Go to a lawyer or write your own cease and desist order, mail it to the offending neighbor. Works most of the time. Works better if it's on the letterhead of a law firm.

Because if you say that to LE and the neighbor really is crazy pants (and some people are), they'll slash their own tire and say you did it - and the police now have a record of you saying you had a negative prior experience with this neighbor - and that your "feelings" were strong when they last talked to you...why give yourself that trouble?

Now, the chief difference in this case is that Gabby's van is in their driveway. Odd that LE didn't ask to speak to her too. SHe's missing - but what if she's voluntarily missing and is actually in the Laundrie home? Maybe they did. We know so little.

"Whose the legal owner of that van in your driveway?" would have been a good question for the NPPD to ask (and maybe they did). "Don't know" is not a viable option because you have just admitted you are in possession of something that does not belong to you or who hasn't given permission for you to have it.

So I guess that's when one just silently hands over a business card (or a piece of paper with the attorney's name and number on it).

What I wonder was, when NPPD had Brian under surveillance, why didn't the NPPD follow Brian to the Myakkahatchee Environmental Park? If ever there was an incredible chance to catch Brian alone and question him in a public space, that would have been it, especially since his father said Brian was emotional at the time. Brian had not spoken to LE himself and had not told them he would not speak to them without an attorney present so I'm pretty sure NPPD could have legally approached BL to see what his response would be since he was an adult. After all, we have no information that CL or RL was BL's power of attorney. Imagine what might have been learned if the NPPD had followed BL when he was in such an emotional state and attempted to talk to him then. It might have even prevented BL's death as he might have fled back home. I keep thinking if NPPD had just followed Brian and continued to follow him, even IF he refused to talk without an attorney this story may have had a completely different ending.

Now, we will probably have to wait some years for a book about this case where we will find out more about what happened.

What I wonder was, when NPPD had Brian under surveillance, why didn't the NPPD follow Brian to the Myakkahatchee Environmental Park? If ever there was an incredible chance to catch Brian alone and question him in a public space, that would have been it, especially since his father said Brian was emotional at the time. Brian had not spoken to LE himself and had not told them he would not speak to them without an attorney present so I'm pretty sure NPPD could have legally approached BL to see what his response would be since he was an adult. After all, we have no information that CL or RL was BL's power of attorney. Imagine what might have been learned if the NPPD had followed BL when he was in such an emotional state and attempted to talk to him then. It might have even prevented BL's death as he might have fled back home. I keep thinking if NPPD had just followed Brian and continued to follow him, even IF he refused to talk without an attorney this story may have had a completely different ending.

Now, we will probably have to wait some years for a book about this case where we will find out more about what happened.

We can only assume they hadn't assigned anyone to hang out around the house. They definitely should have followed him. They do need a warrant to attach a tracking device, as far as I know, but there was no reason at all not to follow him other that just not being there when it mattered.

I'm pretty hopeful for more info to come out. FBI could make a statement. The Laundries could say something. Entin or somebody could dig something up. Is there any way to find out if Brian's plane tickets were one way or not? That would be interesting...

We can only assume they hadn't assigned anyone to hang out around the house. They definitely should have followed him. They do need a warrant to attach a tracking device, as far as I know, but there was no reason at all not to follow him other that just not being there when it mattered.

I'm pretty hopeful for more info to come out. FBI could make a statement. The Laundries could say something. Entin or somebody could dig something up. Is there any way to find out if Brian's plane tickets were one way or not? That would be interesting...
I would also like to have answers to your questions.

No. When someone is represented by counsel, and LE has been notified that they have representation, LE can not do this. They can engage in surveillance, but they can not approach a represented person for a chat without clearing it with that person’s attorney.

I have a question. (More than one actually.).
Does anybody else think Brian left a suicide note at the house instead of in the notebook? I have wondered if his parents were not so worried, became more worried after finding the note and reported him missing then. SB changed last seen date, so when was BL upset? Was it a good-bye note that clued his parents in and not actually seeing him leave?
MOO

Brian Laundrie's parents change story on when they last saw him

Does anybody else think Brian left a suicide note at the house instead of in the notebook? I have wondered if his parents were not so worried, became more worried after finding the note and reported him missing then. SB changed last seen date, so when was BL upset? Was it a good-bye note that clued his parents in and not actually seeing him leave?
MOO

Brian Laundrie's parents change story on when they last saw him
I do!

Does anybody else think Brian left a suicide note at the house instead of in the notebook? I have wondered if his parents were not so worried, became more worried after finding the note and reported him missing then. SB changed last seen date, so when was BL upset? Was it a good-bye note that clued his parents in and not actually seeing him leave?MOO

IMO we have only seen about 5% of what LE has.

Gabby was reported missing on the 11th. Brian was last seen alive on the 13th. The Laundries reported Brian missing on the 17th. That seems like a natural turn of events IMO, if you can call anything so macabre natural?

However, once Brian was reported missing, the world thought he might be on the Appalachian Trail, or in Mexico, or hiding in a fishing boat off the FL coast, but not LE. They just kept dredging that swamp. Also strange is the short break they took for a day to search the Laundries' house. Afterward, they returned to the Carlton Reserve and stayed there for weeks, cadaver dogs and all. Some piece of info we don't know about made LE spend money and time turning that park inside out. Who knows what it actually was, but it could have been a suicide note.

Forensic anthropologist’s examination of Brian Laundrie’s remains continue - latest

LIVE Updates

Police hold gun found where Dog the Bounty Hunter searched for Brian Laundrie ‘in evidence’

The dark themes that permeate Brian Laundrie’s digital footprint
Brian Laundrie’s final social media post, around the time of his girlfriend Gabby Petito’s death, shows the cover of a book titled Burnt Out, how to cope with autistic burnout.

Gabby Petito Foundation offers advice for domestic violence victims
The Gabby Petito Foundation is now offering advice on where people in violent relationships can go to for help.

Bloggers who filmed Petito van in Wyoming national park believe they led FBI to her grave

‘We need help’: Joseph Petito issues plea for help to curb domestic violence

Gabby Petito’s father is calling on Americans to raise awareness about the insidious danger of domestic violence.

“1 in 3 woman, 1 in 4 men will be victims and that doesn’t include the kids forced to see it,” Joseph Petito tweeted on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288