Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #83

Status
Not open for further replies.
INVHO, I think Brian finally realized there was no way out. LE was not as dumb as he thought. His parents and their attorney should reflect on their own actions. IF they had turned him in - with a defense attorney - they may still have their son. He might spend a few years in jail - likely a vigorous defense of crime of passion would have been tried. He could still be alive and they could visit him until he got out. But, he was allowed to hide and ultimately run. They knew he committed suicide. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly disagree. He should have been publicly shamed as the coward he was. Strangling the life out of a girl much smaller than he. And IMO he did not 'have' to say goodbye to anyone. He did not give Gabby or her family any chance of goodbyes. Gabby died alone too, far from home.MOO

Am I understanding you to say that you don't think BL has been publicly shamed?

You know what the key word in this statement is to me? "Additional." As in, "... whether any additional individuals will be charged..." This stated after mentioning BL's suicide. Sounds to me like the US Attorney's Office has made the case for BL being GP's killer, because anyone else would then be "additional." Not that I really doubted who killed her, but that statement seems pretty clear now. Jmo.

ETA: Although to be my own devil's advocate, they could just mean charges on top of BL's "unauthorized use" charges, so IDK...

I'm sure they are talking about additional individuals as being who were involved in the murder not the bank card charges.

wonder if the Petitos are entitled to restitution....

this about federal prosecution on Oregon:
V. Restitution in criminal cases prosecuted in federal court

Under some circumstances (e.g., human trafficking, interstate kidnapping), the victim of a sexual assault, or his or her survivor in the case of sexual-assault homicides, may find the case being prosecuted in a federal court. These courts also are known as U.S. District Courts.

Cases prosecuted in U.S. District Courts are handled by the U.S. Department of Justice. That department has three offices in Oregon: a main district office in Portland and branch offices in Eugene and Medford.

Victims, or the survivors of victims, of crimes that are prosecuted in federal court may be eligible for crime victims’ compensation. They also may be eligible for restitution: the federal Crime Victims’ Rights Act of 2004 includes the right to “full and timely restitution as provided in law.”
Guide to Restitution/Compensation in Sexual Assault Cases

not sure if the federal prosecution would be in reference to FL or to UT law.... or even NY law if GP was supposedly a NY resident... Were the federal charging documents issued from FL?

this is the FL restitution statute:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

seems that if the living Ls were charged, and convicted, restitution could be imposed....almost seems unfair IMO, that a criminal could avoid restitution by dying prior to a trial, IMO, however if you die like BL, you leave all the Qs we have on WS. So much for "closure." Wonder if there are cases in which a written confession is found after death....

Last edited:
INVHO, I think Brian finally realized there was no way out. LE was not as dumb as he thought. His parents and their attorney should reflect on their own actions. IF they had turned him in - with a defense attorney - they may still have their son. He might spend a few years in jail - likely a vigorous defense of crime of passion would have been tried. He could still be alive and they could visit him until he got out. But, he was allowed to hide and ultimately run. They knew he committed suicide. They talked about a note in the car and I am pretty sure an empty gun case - IF I am recalling correctly - when they located the car at the reserve.

Who is "they" who talked about a note in the car and an empty gun case? Certainly not the Laundries and so far as I know, not LE.

I'm pretty sure "the case" people think might have been a gun case has never been confirmed to be one by anybody. And, in fact, it's not even clear the case people remember seeing was found in the car or was found elsewhere during the car search. And what note? Are you talking about the warning ticket from LE? Because the car had been parked overnight at the park? And how do you know "they knew he committed suicide?" That's a pretty strong claim.
JMO

Who is "they" who talked about a note in the car and an empty gun case? Certainly not the Laundries and so far as I know, not LE.

I'm pretty sure "the case" people think might have been a gun case has never been confirmed to be one by anybody. And, in fact, it's not even clear the case people remember seeing was found in the car or was found elsewhere during the car search. And what note? Are you talking about the warning ticket from LE? Because the car had been parked overnight at the park? And how do you know "they knew he committed suicide?" That's a pretty strong claim.
JMO
Well, he did have a gun and one was missing from their home. It is reasonable to assume that that was the one in the car which contained something that other posters have said that they recognized as being the same as a gun case they own. That is good enough for me. MOO.

Lets us think this through.

You could be 100% correct.

But what if.

What if she told brian that she is tired of fighting, and she does not want to live in the van any more. She found a friend online and they decided that they are going to continue on forward. She then tell him to take the van home and use the credit card to get it there. She does not like to drive the van. He agrees because he is tired of fighting with her. He just wants to go home. She then leaves to her tent in the woods and he drives home. Later a 3rd person shows up, kills her and leaves her dead.

Brian travels home, not knowing that anything is wrong but his engagement to gabby is over. He gets home thinking that her parents are paying for her hotel rooms, which he hates, and food. He has zero reason to talk to her parents. Until she is actually missing. Then he realizes that she is really gone.
And in this scenario he kills himself why? Because he is so distraught about her breaking up with him?

Because in your scenario, he only knew she was missing at the time he went into the reserve. Her body had not yet been found. If your depiction was the real scenario, she easily could have been found safe the next day, for all he knew. Suicide over a breakup is not unheard of, of course, but doesn't seem likely IMO.

The Federal case was BL using Gabby's credit card across multiple state lines. The murder, however, took place locally in Teton, so that would be under the local DA.

Actually, since the murder took place on Federal land, it could end up being prosecuted federally.

This was discussed extensively in the early threads and it appears there is no hard and fast rule, when a murder (or any crime that has both state and federal versions) takes place on federal land. It appears the two entities make the decision of which will prosecute on a case-by-case basis.

Well, he did have a gun and one was missing from their home. It is reasonable to assume that that was the one in the car which contained something that other posters have said that they recognized as being the same as a gun case they own. That is good enough for me. MOO.

An "anonymous source" has said a gun was missing. And the case that some posters remember seeing apparently was not found in the car according to LE video. Otherwise, sounds like convincing proof/an airtight case!
JMO

And, if this were the case either Brian or his parents would have responded to Gabby's parents please for information about her, instead of ignoring them!
Would he? Would anyone? Lets think this through.

He does not suspect anything is wrong until the 11th. Then he realizes this has gone completely wrong. He knows that he is the last person to see her alive. He knows he stole her van and her cards, with out proof she given them to him.

What does he say? He tells them everything he knows, they call him a liar? He asks any breathing lawyer what to do? The lawyer would say say nothing, lets see how this plays out.

Is it good idea to tell someone the truth knowing the will just not accept it and everyone is begging you to shut up?

And in this scenario he kills himself why?
<modsnip> Read the comments on this pages as if you are him. He will never have a life. Even if he is 100% innocent and find the killer and convict, he will never drop the stigma. Even though he was the abused in the police video, the vast majority put him as the abuser.

The love of your life is really gone. No one will believe the truth. And you will never get a good job, you will never be able to do anything because this cloud will forever haunt you. Go back to the first 40 saves of this thread. Read everything that is stated as MOO has being against you. Is there a way out?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think the chances are that there are no bullet holes in an area used for hunting? IMO, zero.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure about chances but it has not been verified by LE, so it's just an opinion until it has been verified. You could very easily be right and I would love to know more about what LE found at the crime scene.

Yes, I wonder that too. She wasn't shot, so it seems irrelevant to me.

Now that we know BL used a gun to kill himself some people were wondering if he also used a gun to threaten Gabby. The bullet holes didn't really matter at all until someone made that speculation. There might be bullet holes in the trees, but it hasn't been verified by any MS media or LE.

[
So. The question. Why run home to commit suicide?

He kills her on 31st. Then runs home, pretends nothing happened. Then the missing person is filed, then he commits suicide. Meanwhile, pretending to be completely innocent. Why?

I don't get it. If he wanted to go home to live the rest of his life, why not dump her in the 3,000 mile trip home? Why not a random dumpster in x big city. Why not the middle of nowhere? Nope left her 800 feet from their last confirmed camping spot. He saw dozens and dozens of people and they saw him. He knew that they would find her.

Just does not make any sense. If he had regret in killing her, then he would turn himself in or kill self at the original scene.

He acted like he almost did not know she was dead, until after she turned up missing.

I think it's possible he wanted to be close to family, be in a place where he could be found (he may not have anticipated the flooding), and to make it less difficult for his parents to deal with his remains perhaps.

Just MOO.

[

I think it's possible he wanted to be close to family, be in a place where he could be found (he may not have anticipated the flooding), and to make it less difficult for his parents to deal with his remains perhaps.

Just MOO.
UH because he's just strangled his fiancé likely unplanned and is likely the most freaked out he's ever been in his life. People don't always make rational decisions & particularly someone who doesn't have the emotional wherewithal to navigate disagreement in a relationship. If that was him seen ranting in Jackson by some trash cans at a gas station I'm guessing he was freaked the F out. He likely also had a huge amount of denial and when her dad & then the cops & media show up, things just become undeniably real.

Would he? Would anyone? Lets think this through.

He does not suspect anything is wrong until the 11th. Then he realizes this has gone completely wrong. He knows that he is the last person to see her alive. He knows he stole her van and her cards, with out proof she given them to him.

What does he say? He tells them everything he knows, they call him a liar? He asks any breathing lawyer what to do? The lawyer would say say nothing, lets see how this plays out.

Is it good idea to tell someone the truth knowing the will just not accept it and everyone is begging you to shut up?
<modsnip> Read the comments on this pages as if you are him. He will never have a life. Even if he is 100% innocent and find the killer and convict, he will never drop the stigma. Even though he was the abused in the police video, the vast majority put him as the abuser.

The love of your life is really gone. No one will believe the truth. And you will never get a good job, you will never be able to do anything because this cloud will forever haunt you. Go back to the first 40 saves of this thread. Read everything that is stated as MOO has being against you. Is there a way out?

BBM

I literally just looked at the first page of the first thread for this case, and the discussion didn't even begin until Sept. 12th.

If he was innocent and she had gone off with someone else and asked him to bring the van home to FL, as you speculate, there is no reason BL would, on Sept 11/12/13, know she would be found killed. She'd only been known to be missing for a few days at that point -- she could have been having a vacation with her new friend, or could have had an "ordinary" accident. The likelihood that he would be "forever haunted" by public suspicion would be extremely low if she were found safe, or discovered to have been in an accident.

As I said before, if BL were innocent but distraught over a breakup, I could see the suicide, but I think if that were true his earlier behavior would have been different than it was.

But the idea that he would commit suicide over fear of public scrutiny without even knowing if she was dead vs. merely having a no-internet weekend with her new friend? Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member