Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took it like BL was saying that if she had left him on the side of the road at the moment he was speaking of, he didn't have his phone. As in he didn't have it on him then, not that he didn't own one at all. I might well be mistaken in my interpretation, though. Jmo.
That was my interpretation as well.

I took it like BL was saying that if she had left him on the side of the road at the moment he was speaking of, he didn't have his phone. As in he didn't have it on him then, not that he didn't own one at all. I might well be mistaken in my interpretation, though. Jmo.
It's very possible that that's what he meant, but that's just another reason to question the oft-quoted "fact" that he only had wifi available on his phone. As far as I know, there's never been any sort of source for that information, it was simply speculation. I could be misremembering, though, so if anyone has a link to the information, that would be great.

On AUG 30 - SEPT 1, 2021, BL uses GPs bank cards, illegally.

BL is officially charged with accessing Gabby's bank accounts for at least $1000. What the heck did he purchase?

By best guess is that he purchased a new set of tires for the van.

I remain amazed that the Red, White, and Bethune video filmed the white van. Without that critical piece of documentation, wonder if LEO would have been able to find Gabby?

I don’t think the Feds would have charged larceny to buy tires for Gabby’s van- or even gas. If there were a solid argument that he was maintaining her vehicle yet they didn’t charge him with theft of the vehicle- it sounds like too weak a case IMO.

I don’t think the Feds would have charged larceny to buy tires for Gabby’s van- or even gas. If there were a solid argument that he was maintaining her vehicle yet they didn’t charge him with theft of the vehicle- it sounds like too weak a case IMO.

But I don't think the feds ever cared if the bank acct case could really be won. All that mattered was they had enough evidence to bring the charge. (I assume.) They just wanted a reason to arrest BL because they couldn't force him to come in voluntarily.

I'm not an attorney but I wouldn't think buying stuff for the van (a possibility I think could very well be true) would mean the bank charge wouldn't stick. The things bought might have mitigated re: punishment though. But apparently there's no question of BL being an authorized user/co-owner on the bank accts. Those accts were all GP's officially. That's all bank stuff, not a matter of "but did GP ever give him permission..." Doesn't matter if she did. Legally she didn't have the right to. Her van was a different story. Without her testimony it would be hard to prove it was "stolen." And with the bank charge, the feds didn't need a very iffy charge on the van.
JMO

It's about time, IM...

Just saw this -- Please forgive it it's a repeat --
-------------------------------
Laundries To Give Gabby Petito's Belongings To Family: Attorney
Arrangements will be made for the belongings — at the Laundries' home in North Port, Florida — to be given to her family.

Peggy Spellman Hoey, Patch Staff
Posted Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 9:16 pm ET|Updated Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 9:55 am ET
SARASOTA, FL — Gabby Petito's belongings will be returned to her family in the wake of a legal claim that was filed in a Florida court, the Laundrie family's attorney said on Tuesday.

Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, filed a claim seeking the slain Long Islander's belongings — going on the record in the legal process as the family of Brian Laundrie seeks access to his $20,000 estate, the US Sun first reported.

East Islip attorney Steven Bertolino described the filing of the estate as "a formality."

-----------------------------
More here:

But I don't think the feds ever cared if the bank acct case could really be won. All that mattered was they had enough evidence to bring the charge. (I assume.) They just wanted a reason to arrest BL because they couldn't force him to come in voluntarily.

I'm not an attorney but I wouldn't think buying stuff for the van (a possibility I think could very well be true) would mean the bank charge wouldn't stick. The things bought might have mitigated re: punishment though. But apparently there's no question of BL being an authorized user/co-owner on the bank accts. Those accts were all GP's officially. That's all bank stuff, not a matter of "but did GP ever give him permission..." Doesn't matter if she did. Legally she didn't have the right to. Her van was a different story. Without her testimony it would be hard to prove it was "stolen." And with the bank charge, the feds didn't need a very iffy charge on the van.
JMO

It doesn't matter how BL used the money he stole from Gabby's account -- he was not a co-signer and had no legal access to the funds in her account. It was theft. It would have stood as a crime if it had been charged and tried.

It doesn't matter how BL used the money he stole from Gabby's account -- he was not a co-signer and had no legal access to the funds in her account. It was theft. It would have stood as a crime if it had been charged and tried.

I believe I said he was charged because he wasn't a co-owner/official co-signer on the account(s). In response to a post that raised the issue of whether it mattered what he bought, I said it's possible what the money was spent on might have made a difference in the punishment phase, not in the guilt phase of a trial. But we'll never know. It's not clear that we'll ever even know what evidence there was. And since we don't know the evidence it's hard to guess what defenses could have been raised. Certainly we can't know for sure if he would have been found guilty if he'd been tried. It seems very likely but trials can be surprising.

JMO

I believe I said he was charged because he wasn't a co-owner/official co-signer on the account(s). In response to a post that raised the issue of whether it mattered what he bought, I said it's possible what the money was spent on might have made a difference in the punishment phase, not in the guilt phase of a trial. But we'll never know. It's not clear that we'll ever even know what evidence there was. And since we don't know the evidence it's hard to guess what defenses could have been raised. Certainly we can't know for sure if he would have been found guilty if he'd been tried. It seems very likely but trials can be surprising.

JMO
bbm
You said it, NCWatcher. It's essentially all done now, sadly.
We will never know. And the money part of it pales in comparison to the rest of the things he did. I don't think the Feds or anyone else will push this part of the horror he did.
Gabby's gone -- but her light still shines in many hearts. He's gone, and he was the only one, besides sweet Gabby, who really knew the mean, small-minded, selfish and cruel things he did to her.
Such a sad, sad story. We won't forget her sweet artwork, her drive, her smile, and her positive-ness for a long, long time, will we?

It's about time, IM...

Just saw this -- Please forgive it it's a repeat --
-------------------------------
Arrangements will be made for the belongings — at the Laundries' home in North Port, Florida — to be given to her family.

Posted Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 9:16 pm ET|Updated Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 9:55 am ET
SARASOTA, FL — Gabby Petito's belongings will be returned to her family in the wake of a legal claim that was filed in a Florida court, the Laundrie family's attorney said on Tuesday.

Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, filed a claim seeking the slain Long Islander's belongings — going on the record in the legal process as the family of Brian Laundrie seeks access to his $20,000 estate, the US Sun first reported.

East Islip attorney Steven Bertolino described the filing of the estate as "a formality."

-----------------------------
More here:

How big of them :(

What about mitigation? Is this a strict liability offence where mitigation and the circumstances are not taken into account?

Just saw this:

Gabby Petito Utah Probe Info To Be Released Soon: Report
The findings could come in the early to middle of next week, Fox News reported.

Posted Wed, Dec 29, 2021 at 11:55 pm ET|Updated Fri, Dec 31, 2021 at 2:04 am ET

MOAB, UTAH — The findings of an investigation into the Utah traffic stop involving Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie could be released between the early to the middle part of next week, according to a report by Fox News.

---------------------------------------------
More here:
Gabby Petito Utah Probe Info To Be Released Soon: Report

I’m sure I missed this…where did BL get $20,000 for his parents to inherit? And if he had it, why did he have to steal from Gabby’s bank account?
Where, indeed? Where, indeed?
Hoping we hear more about this ... And my thoughts exactly, @Jmoose -- why was he using her money if he had some of his own?

Or is this $20,000 business all just "talk"? Grrrrr. SMH.

Where, indeed? Where, indeed?
Hoping we hear more about this ... And my thoughts exactly, @Jmoose -- why was he using her money if he had some of his own?

Or is this $20,000 business all just "talk"? Grrrrr. SMH.

$20,000 was shown on the court petition the Laundries filed to access his estate, so I believe it is legit.

"In the court filing, Chris and Roberta said Brian left behind a Bank of America bank account that had $20,000 in checking/savings. He was apparently debt-free at the time of his death. The parents seek to divide their son's estate." Brian Laundrie's Parents Rush To Court To Collect $20k He Left Behind After Taking His Own Life

I, too, would like to know why he used Gabby's account on his trip back to Sarasota instead of his own money.

$20,000 was shown on the court petition the Laundries filed to access his estate, so I believe it is legit.

"In the court filing, Chris and Roberta said Brian left behind a Bank of America bank account that had $20,000 in checking/savings. He was apparently debt-free at the time of his death. The parents seek to divide their son's estate." Brian Laundrie's Parents Rush To Court To Collect $20k He Left Behind After Taking His Own Life

I, too, would like to know why he used Gabby's account on his trip back to Sarasota instead of his own money.

I guess a killer might as well also be a thief. Why spend his own money, when he could spend hers? Did this guy truly have any redeemable qualities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd