Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if BL and Gabby took a gun with them for protection against snakes and such. It wouldn't surprise me it they did. Perhaps BL did buy a handgun for the trip...
It might also explain why he decided to take the van back to Florida.

I think it's very possible that the heavier parts of the remains, along with the gun, did not move far from the place of death, while the lighter weight parts, including the pieces reported found, did move once the water rose and then receded. (I know the skull is usually a heavy body part, but once it's broken into pieces, I assume much less so.)

We don't know whether the gun has been found or not, but I do wonder about the rest of the skeleton -- didn't they open the reserve back up to the public just a day or two following the finding of the skull pieces? That sort of suggests they don't think there is the rest of a body there waiting to be found. Nor a gun. But wouldn't it have been reported if more body parts were found? MOO

I don't think that finding additional body parts would necessarily be reported...
It could be that gators may have found some body parts and lunched on them. Gators eat everything, including bones. Just a thought...

<modsnip>
I wonder if BL and Gabby took a gun with them for protection against snakes and such. It wouldn't surprise me it they did. Perhaps BL did buy a handgun for the trip...
Being that the L family already owned 8+ firearms, I think it is highly likely that BL brought a gun with him during his camping adventure. I wonder if they all were registered with the “right to carry” as well. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

Being that the L family already owned 8+ firearms, I think it is highly likely that BL brought a gun with him during his camping adventure. I wonder if they all were registered with the “right to carry” as well. IMO

<modsnip - no link> I would assume that anyone who goes camping would be carrying a gun for protection as there is definitely a criminal element attracted to camp grounds where the pickings are easy and the police are far away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian Laundrie's family hid the fact that he may have been armed because they didn't want the 'public going into a frenzy,' lawyer says

Steven Bertolino, an attorney for the Laundrie family, told Insider' Natalie Musumeci on Tuesday that on the same day Laundrie was reported missing — September 17 — his parents had also surrendered five or six guns they stored in their home, but one was missing.

It is not clear whether Laundrie took the missing gun, or whether it was the one he used to kill himself.

Bertolino told DailyMail that the family didn't want to disclose this earlier because they didn't want the information to cause panic.

"We didn't want the public going into a frenzy on that," Bertolino told DailyMail.com. "I don't think they considered him dangerous to anybody he met on the street."

ME:
Not dangerous? Depressed carrying around a gun, shooting himself. Should have been known to the public.

I am glad that they kept that information back. People were acting insane, they though every generic bald guy was Brian Laundrie. It would have been horrible for some deluded person to shoot some innocent bald hiker thinking they were taking out Brian. It would be a tragedy. I think the police were right in thinking the public was too insane at that time to handle that information. moo

On the previous thread someone asked what is the significance of the alleged bullet holes at Gabby's crime scene.

I think it is most likely that they were from hunters since they were camped on a legal hunting ground, however, what if some are not? What if some can be tied back to BL? If they are related, then it is possible that they paint a completely different picture of what happened. Another thing to consider is the we don't have Gabby's full autopsy results. We know she died of manual strangulation/throttling. We don't know what other injuries she may have had or the nature of those injuries.

We do know from people who worked with BL at Publix that he allegedly had a concealed carry weapon license and was often armed at work. There is the photo of what many think is BL's bedroom where a gun is on display. There is also the photo of Gabby holding what appears to be a gun. Based upon that, it is likely he was carrying during the trip with Gabby.
Sleuths think Gabby Petito may be holding GUN in photo as cops hunt fiancé

IMO, the FBI would be working to discern if any bullet holes proximal to Gabby's remains might be related to whatever happened or not.

People could just be target shooting. Are they sure they were not nail holes from hanging lanterns and hammocks and trash bags? That "gun" looks like a common wood cutout in his bedroom. You can buy them from shops like Hobby Lobby. moo

Another LE screw up in this case. The Feds KNEW that members of the public were out searching for BL but didn't warn the public that BL was armed. What a mess the Feds made of this case. It is a lucky thing no member of the public got killed as a result of the Fed's decision to keep the gun a secret.
I think there was more of a risk of members of the public getting killed if they told people Brian had a gun. As the wife of a slim balding man, I don't like the insanity that was brewing against bald men who hiked and camped. It was frightening. I am glad they kept that information hushed.

To clarify here about the missing pistol. According to the article I linked previously, the Laundrie parents could not identify the make or model of the. missing pistol. When people buy a gun, they usually know the make and model of the gun they are buying because they shopped for that specific make and model. Also, make and model are listed on the bill of sale. Usually a gun buyer keeps the bill of sale for the gun as proof of ownership (if they bought the gun legally) and in case they wish to legally sell the gun in the future because if it was imported, they also need the name of the importer and the serial number. This information is required if you sell a gun for ATF form 4473. The Laundrie parents didn't have this information about the missing gun which is why IMO this was a weapon that BL bought and owned. IMO, the Laundries also knew about the location of the gun case for the pistol inside their home and were able to locate and produce the gun case. IMO, that's why we saw the police with an empty gun case, search through the Mustang on the night BL was reported missing.
I don't have sales receipts on all my guns especially those I've inherited and I have never had to prove ownership when I've sold my guns to dealers or individuals. Gun stores can just plug in the name and serial number to find the name of the importer. The serial number is on the weapon itself. This is just my experience. Are you sure you are not referring to ATF sellers? They just check my drivers license when I sell. I have a two minute background check when I buy, but that is only what I've experienced.

I've read that LE is/was studying the Laundries digital footprint to try and discover exactly what they knew and when they knew it. How does LE handle texts and records dealing with attorney-client privilege? Are they just not able to use them in court or base search warrants on them etc...?
I think, unlike information held by the attorney, that information can be seized through a search warrant. I can't seem to find any SC ruling that protected text messaging. I would have thought there would be settled law on this, but I can't find it. moo

Interesting thought- but a gun is also a highly attractive item to steal- which would add a lot of weight to the “con” side of bringing a fire arm camping for me.

If the Moab newlyweds taught me anything, it is that I am wrong about this: I have always thought of campers as a peaceful bunch. But I never bring valuables except my phone and wallet. No designer tents. No status clothing items. Yet I have felt far more trusting of my fellow campers than, say, my peers at a park for a picnic.
I sure hope it wasn't a camper, that it was an opportunist following them. I love to camp and feel safe in the wilderness. As did that lovely honeymoon couple. It makes me want to cry, that monster doing that during what should be some of the happiest days of their lives. Those poor girls.

I think there was more of a risk of members of the public getting killed if they told people Brian had a gun. As the wife of a slim balding man, I don't like the insanity that was brewing against bald men who hiked and camped. It was frightening. I am glad they kept that information hushed.
I wonder how often LE decides to hold back information from the public.

Interesting thought- but a gun is also a highly attractive item to steal- which would add a lot of weight to the “con” side of bringing a fire arm camping for me.

If the Moab newlyweds taught me anything, it is that I am wrong about this: I have always thought of campers as a peaceful bunch. But I never bring valuables except my phone and wallet. No designer tents. No status clothing items. Yet I have felt far more trusting of my fellow campers than, say, my peers at a park for a picnic.

Edit to add names that need to be mentioned, but only after I confirmed the spelling! (Yes, when it comes to some names, I do bother to look up the spelling!)

Crystal Turner and Kylen Schulte
That's an interesting thought about camper bias. I tend to agree with you. I'm an introvert who would rather poke a fork in my eye than socialize. But I treat my fellow wolf watchers in Yellowstone like they're long lost family.

I habitually carry concealed so I don't feel like I'm in danger of gun theft. It stays on my hip and I don't advertise that I have a gun, but it's there if I need it. I realize it's illegal to fire a weapon in a national park, but a cop once told me it was better to break the law and be alive, than it was to be law abiding and dead. But I tend not to carry in the park. Bear spray is my weapon of choice in a park setting.

I wish Gabby had been carrying a can of bear spray on her hip. It might have saved her. It's a shame it's so dang expensive. :(

Question. If Brian's remains/things were found because they hadn't really traveled far from where his parents expected (and found) them to be, why would the gun be anywhere but in that general vicinity?
According to this report, "Authorities have not disclosed whether the missing pistol was found on the scene". So I'm guessing they have it. I agree, it should be nearby and not difficult to find.

Brian Laundrie's parents found a missing gun, but it wasn't announced - Florida News Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member