Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #84

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree--guns don't float.

Grossness alert--stop reading if you're easily offended...

I would think a body would float before the gun floated. Isn't that how drowned persons are often found? When the body begins to decompose and fills with gasses, I think it sometimes floats. Considering the floods they had in the reserve, perhaps that's what happened, Brian's body floated away from the area in which he actually shot himself.

Alternately, I can see someone who wasn't on the right side of the law picking up a gun and never reporting it.

I had considered his body floated away from where he killed him self, but it seems his backpack, notebook and dry bag were all nearby. So either they all floated to the same place and the gun stayed elsewhere or the gun was in the same area they found everything else.

BL's gun was most likely last located in his hand and as far as I know, the hand has not been located. Depending on his position when he shot himself, the gun could have fallen on top of his body after death or remained in his hand and been eaten by an alligator.

More likely, the gun sank in the water and was covered by sediment during the flooding. A heavy gun could easily sink into mud over a several week period.

Here is one research answer. The link has added links one can read.

Weapon location following suicidal gunshot wounds - PubMed

574 suicide by a gun, revolver/handgun, but not a long gun the following was determined…

76 cases the gun location could not be decided.
498 cases left

24%-26.7% of the time the gun stayed in hand
69% gun was near or on the body
30 cm or 11.8 inches gun near body not in hand
7% of the time the gun was found less the 30cm or 11.8 inches from body

IMO….I don’t think the gun will ever be found. I don’t think an alligator ate it either. I do think the gun was near the body at one point but not in the hand when the body was found. I do hope authorities find some answers.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10208326/

"There is the photo of what many think is BL's bedroom where a gun is on display."

That is not a gun. It is a model of a gun. Or perhaps, a stylized carving of a gun meant to be an art-piece. Guns are not mounted on a wall unless they are set upon a gun mount of sorts. They are too heavy. There is no gun mount in that photo. If you look at the photo of the room with the alleged "gun" on the wall, the "gun" appears about the same size as the hardcover books on the shelf below. That's a very large handgun. Again, it's obvious its just a carving of a handgun. I am talking about the "gun" on the wall of the room, not the much smaller compact handgun that gabby appears to be holding in the other photo.

Gun or not, BL's room or not, it is pointless to keep arguing about this because the fact is, BL had a gun and we now know he killed himself with a gun. What did he do with the gun, if anything, at Gabby's crime scene? I hope we find out someday.

With all due respect and not being snarky, we KNOW that GP died of manual strangulation and not from a gunshot wound. What is the reason for debating if Brian had a gun/used a gun at Spread Creek/left bullet holes from a gun at Spread Creek, etc.? If we assume he had a gun and made bullet holes what do you think that would tell us? That he threatened her with a gun prior to strangling her? All MOO and speculation, I'm just confused and questioning where we're going with this?

Whatever evidence the FBI collected should tell the story of what actually happened at Spread Creek. I am hoping the FBI was able to determine exactly where the disturbance began and walk through the entire story told by the crime scene, step by step. That is what I am hoping will be the outcome of the evidence and crime scene camera footage - the complete picture of what actually happened.

Whatever evidence the FBI collected should tell the story of what actually happened at Spread Creek. I am hoping the FBI was able to determine exactly where the disturbance began and walk through the entire story told by the crime scene, step by step. That is what I am hoping will be the outcome of the evidence and crime scene camera footage - the complete picture of what actually happened.

That's likely going to depend upon what evidence the FBI has to connect BL to Gabby's murder.

Unless the FBI operates differently, you're unlikely to see the same evidence you would in court and I would suggest they operate like the RCMP. They will likely call a press conference, disclose why they feel they have arrived at their conclusion, answer a few questions and consider it wrapped up.

It really doesn't matter if you believe that is a gun or not in BL's bedroom. <modsnip - no link> It is not much of a stretch of the imagination to think he would take his gun on the camping trip with Gabby. And now we know BL committed suicide with a gun.

If you google bullet holes in trees, you will see that they look a very specific way that is very different from nail holes. If you compare the bullet holes in the crime scene photos to the photos online of verified bullet holes in trees you will see that they match. The bullet holes are at different levels. Some are low enough they might have been from target practice. Others are at the level of Gabby's torso or head. Hard to know exactly what happened without the FBI's report. But modern day campers normally don't put nail holes into living trees to hang stuff. That's a major no-no.

At Grand Teton you use a bear box for trash bags, you cannot hang trash from trees there as it would attract bears and other wildlife to your campsite which would be dangerous and if you got caught nailing a trash bag to a tree, the fine would be upwards of $5,000. Also, if you look at photos of BL's hammock, it is tied to the trees with a bowline knot, never nailed. This technique protects the trees from damage and keeps the hammock secured.
Respectfully, I haven't seen confirmation of any bullet holes at Spread Creek. I may be mistaken. If we are referring to the spray painted and numbered holes in the trees, IMHO I believe those are likely data points the FBI marked when laser scanning the crime scene for reconstruction and analysis.
If a bullet is lodged somewhere and needed for evidence, IMHO they would excise the material above and below the bullet hole and take the whole piece back to the lab leaving the bullet in situ (sp?)
I do not have a source for any of this/my own speculation.

Here is one research answer. The link has added links one can read.

Weapon location following suicidal gunshot wounds - PubMed

574 suicide by a gun, revolver/handgun, but not a long gun the following was determined…

76 cases the gun location could not be decided.
498 cases left

24%-26.7% of the time the gun stayed in hand
69% gun was near or on the body
30 cm or 11.8 inches gun near body not in hand
7% of the time the gun was found less the 30cm or 11.8 inches from body

IMO….I don’t think the gun will ever be found. I don’t think an alligator ate it either. I do think the gun was near the body at one point but not in the hand when the body was found. I do hope authorities find some answers.
How deep is the water in that Preserve? And isn’t that an odd location to chose if you plan to kill yourself?
Knowing that it floods, alligators are nearby, decomposition is faster in wet areas, guns sink…it’s as if he didn’t want his body to be found. Odd that his notebook made it. IMO

How deep is the water in that Preserve? And isn’t that an odd location to chose if you plan to kill yourself?
Knowing that it floods, alligators are nearby, decomposition is faster in wet areas, guns sink…it’s as if he didn’t want his body to be found. Odd that his notebook made it. IMO
Has it ever been made public if the notebook was like a netbook, or was it a notebook like the olden days. It is hard to even imagine his intentions re being found or not. Maybe he simply didn't consider anything or anyone and just wanted to escape it all.

Respectfully, I haven't seen confirmation of any bullet holes at Spread Creek. I may be mistaken. If we are referring to the spray painted and numbered holes in the trees, IMHO I believe those are likely data points the FBI marked when laser scanning the crime scene for reconstruction and analysis.
If a bullet is lodged somewhere and needed for evidence, IMHO they would excise the material above and below the bullet hole and take the whole piece back to the lab leaving the bullet in situ (sp?)
I do not have a source for any of this/my own speculation.

We have seen several interviews with retired FBI and LE and all have indicated the orange paint was not conventional crime scene markings but at one time, a member who was a forestry worker indicated it looked like markings they make while checking for wood boring insects.

Google does show that Wyoming has a significant Mountain Pine Beetle problem.

Gun or not, BL's room or not, it is pointless to keep arguing about this because the fact is, BL had a gun and we now know he killed himself with a gun. What did he do with the gun, if anything, at Gabby's crime scene? I hope we find out someday.

I really don't understand your post. That was my first post in weeks, so it's not accurate to say I "keep arguing"? My post pointed out the linked news story's claim that there was a gun mounted on the wall in a photo of BL's room was wrong, because it was not a gun, it was an artpiece of some sort that resembled a gun.

Last edited:
If the holes in the wood at Spread Creek were considered significant or evidence in any way, they would not IMO have been covered with spray paint -- they would have been preserved for whatever caliber/residue/etc evidence could be extracted.

Earlier posters who seemed to know what they were talking about, said the spray paint was related to documenting the scene with "3D" technology.

In any case, LE would not destroy or damage evidence by painting over it.

MOO

For Sale By Owner

Brian Laundrie’s parents put up ‘for sale’ sign at Florida home weeks after his remains were found

Brian Laundrie's parents appear to be on the move from Florida

Editing to add:

I just checked Zillow. They have not listed it there.

I wouldn't be surprised. Their neighbors rented out land and assisted reporters. Nothing but constant reminders about the horror of having your son turn out to murder someone, and then kill himself.

I'd like to tell you a story about insects. It comes in three parts.

I wonder if a displaced protestor put up the "for sale" sign. As a suggestion.

JMO

I’m note sure on the depth; especially when it flooded. If I remember correctly, I think it was reported BL’s parents indicated this was a place BL enjoyed and had been to multiple times. I don’t remember the source and could be wrong. MOO. I would think someone intent on ending their life wouldn’t think about what’s going to happen to their body afterwards. I do think they’d want to be somewhere that brought them pleasant memories and comfort as they ended their life. JMO/MOO

If you are one of the handful of sleuthers still working over the details of this case, this is for you. :D

If you are over all of that, please scroll and roll. :)

SIGHTINGS
as reported by MSM

@macross828
GP+BL
Zion National Park, UT
Instagram video
Publicized- 10/17 The U.S. Sun
Brian & Gabby NEW video - Couple 'seen holding hands' weeks before murder

Delicate Arch Photos
husband, wife, and brother-in-law wish to remain anonymous
Aug 10
GP+BL
Delicate Arch, Arches National Park, UT
Publicized- 10/21 NYP
New photos among the last of Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie together

Jaye Foster + GF, skateboard couple
Aug 10, for approx 40-45 mins
GP+BL
Delicate Arch parking lot, near Moab, UT
Publicized- 9/13 Daily Beast…
This ‘Van-Life’ Couple Went on a Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back.

LI Mom To Missing Daughter: ‘We Just Need To See You Again’

Cops speak with TikTok ‘witness’ who claims she picked up Gabby Petito boyfriend

Kicks 66
Aug 21, pm
GP + male
SLC, UT
Publicized- 9/15 Daily Mail
Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

Perkin’s restaurant cashier
around Aug 24
GP
Fairfield Inn lobby, SLC, UT
Publicized- 9/15 Daily Mail
Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online

Shannon Baker + Russell Baker
Aug 25, 5pm
Van
Jenny Lake parking area
Reported- to LE no later than 9/13
Publicized- 9/17 various outlets
‘We saw the Florida tag’: Spring Hill couple spotted Gabby Petito’s van at Grand Teton National Park | WFLA

Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito's van in Grand Teton National Park

Wendy Woolstenhulme
Aug 25 or 26, afternoon, 15/20 mins
GP+BL
Rustic Row, Victor, ID
Reported- to FBI after she saw GP on news
Publicized- 9/17 EIN…
Business owner says Gabby Petito and boyfriend made stop in Victor after visiting Wyoming - East Idaho News

Jackson Hole-area tips may assist in search for Gabby Petito

Sunny/Sonnie Mason
Aug 25 or 26
GP+BL
Victor Emporium, Victor, ID
Publicized- no later than 9/25
Gabby Petito's close friend on Brian Laundrie search: "He's good with nature. So, my first thought was — he's in the woods"

Brian 'forced Gabby to say she was his fiancé' at store 'hours before she died'

Jessica Schultz
Aug 26, 8pm - Aug 28
BL with van
Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area, WY
Reported- 9/16 FBI
Publicized- SF Chronicle 9/20, TikTok, Instagram
TikTok

Gabby Petito case: What one witness saw near the Tetons may help FBI unravel mystery

Hunter Mannies + friend
Aug 26, 10/1030pm - 1150pm/1210am
Bullwinkle’s, West Yellowstone, Montana
Reported- 9/16 spoke with FBI 40+ mins
Publicized- 9/27 NYP…
Tourist claims he saw 'mad' Brian Laundrie alone in bar

Man believes he talked to Brian Laundrie days before Gabby Petito's disappearance: 'It was an odd encounter'

Mansfield man describes his encounter with Brian Laundrie

Did Louisiana Man Meet Gabby Petito's Fiance Before Her Death

Nina Celie Angelo + Matt England
Aug 27, 1/2pm
GP+BL
Merry Piglets, Jackson Hole, WY
Reported- by ME to FBI 9/22
Publicized- NA posted to Instagram after release of body cam footage…
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...restaurant-hours-before-gabby-petito-vanished

Gabby Petito Cried as Brian Laundrie Argued With Restaurant Staff: New Witnesses

Brian Laundrie argued in Wyoming restaurant hours before Gabby Petito vanished: eyewitnesses

Includes full abc7 video 9/23 (I can never get abc7 video links to play)
Instagrammer details explosive argument between Petito, Laundrie

Merry Piglets, restaurant
Aug 27, 1/2pm
GP+BL
Merry Piglets, Jackson, WY
Reported- to FBI 9/22
Publicized- 9/22 reluctantly…DM screenshot released by second party, confirmed presence of GP+BL and notification of FBI with Instagram and FB posts after
Influencer saw 'huge blowout' between Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie at Wyoming restaurant | Daily Mail Online

Instagrammer details sitting next to Gabby Petito at restaurant during chaotic scene

CNN.com - Transcripts

New details emerge about Brian Laundrie's behavior in the days after his fiance went missing - CNN

Timeline: Petito's final days

Brian Laundrie & Gabby Petito involved in incident in Wyoming restaurant in late August

Bethunes
Aug 27, 6/630pm
Van + ?
Reported- 9/19 1208am called FBI, 1am submitted video
Publicized- 9/19 am, after reporting on YouTube, Instagram…

Family travel vloggers share video they believe shows Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie's van around time of her disappearance

Family believes they spotted Gabby Petito's white van on trip in Grand Teton National Park

Florida travel bloggers video places Gabby Petito’s van in camp area where authorities recovered body | WFLA

Full interview: Woman who spotted Gabby Petito's likely van

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...abby-petito-van-wyoming-blogger-b1923783.html

door closing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVvbr58tX9NV8vNu7xBFwqg

Tyler Valentine + friend, elk spotters
Aug 29
Reported- 9/17
Publicized- 9/17 reporter on the scene, Garna Mejia, KSL
Search intensifies for Gabby Petito; police respond to Laundrie home in Florida

Miranda Baker
Aug 29, 530pm - 609pm
BL
CBV to Jackson Dam, hitchhiking
Reported- 9/14 to NPPD, 9/15 to FBI
Publicized- 9/17 TikTok, did not respond to multiple requests for interviews
TikTok

Cops speak with TikTok ‘witness’ who claims she picked up Gabby Petito boyfriend

Woman Claims She Picked Up Brian Laundrie While He Was Hitchhiking in Wyoming in Viral TikTok Videos

TikToker says she picked up Brian Laundrie hitchhiking in Grand Teton

https://www.fox13now.com/news/local...-laundrie-hiking-in-grand-teton-national-park

Woman tells GMA she picked up Laundrie as hitchhiker in Wyoming, days after last call by Petito

Woman recalls “red flag” after giving ride to a hitchhiking Brian Laundrie

Norma Jean Jalovec
Aug 29, 615/620pm -640pm
BL
Near Pacific Creek Landing to Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area/Moran Vista entrance gate, hitchhiking
Reported- to FBI after seeing MB TikTok, prior to 9/23
Publicized- 9/23 Fox…
Brian Laundrie manhunt: Woman in Wyoming says she picked him up hitchhiking

Woman Who Drove Hitchhiking Brian Laundrie Noticed 'Nothing Extraordinary' — Until They Got Near Van

I am aware of many other alleged sightings. If anyone has MSM links to other sightings, please let me know. I would be pleased to add them to this reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288