Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Petito/Schmidt attorney Pat Reilly stated the contents of the letter to Brian Laundrie are "pretty extreme."

Could be, but we also know that the P's attorney has used this "extreme" type of rhetoiric often, desribing the L's behavior as extreme or outrageous because they didn't respond to phone calls from the Petito's, that they blocked their numbers on their phones, that they had a long weekend camping trip (even though it had been planned long before BL returned home), etc. So until we see for ourselves the content of the letter between RL and BL, his description isn't entirely credible.

The most specfic he is willing to be about the contents of the letter from RL is that it contains "an offer that had to do with Gabby." But he does state that he doesn't know when the letter was written. He says he is requesting a copy in relation to the civil lawsuit against the Laundries.

If it was written before GP and BL set out for their cross country trip in the van, as the L's lawyer stated, then it could have been advice to BL on how to deal with difficult situations that could transpire during the trip, including difficulties in their relationship (GP and BL relationship) in such tight quarters and on such a long trip. That's another possibility.

So basically the whole purpose of his hiking/hitchhiking excursion was to retrieve a package containing a letter and ?? from his mother before he drove home? That's what I'm understanding. Moo.

So basically the whole purpose of his hiking/hitchhiking excursion was to retrieve a package containing a letter and ?? from his mother before he drove home? That's what I'm understanding. Moo.
That was a theory I proposed, but it's only one of many ideas, and likely incorrect. I was trying to figure out a way to explain how he might receive a letter in the mail before going back to FL.

Could be, but we also know that the P's attorney has used this "extreme" type of rhetoiric often, desribing the L's behavior as extreme or outrageous because they didn't respond to phone calls from the Petito's, that they blocked their numbers on their phones, that they had a long weekend camping trip (even though it had been planned long before BL returned home), etc. So until we see for ourselves the content of the letter between RL and BL, his description isn't entirely credible.

The most specfic he is willing to be about the contents of the letter from RL is that it contains "an offer that had to do with Gabby." But he does state that he doesn't know when the letter was written. He says he is requesting a copy in relation to the civil lawsuit against the Laundries.

If it was written before GP and BL set out for their cross country trip in the van, as the L's lawyer stated, then it could have been advice to BL on how to deal with difficult situations that could transpire during the trip, including difficulties in their relationship (GP and BL relationship) in such tight quarters and on such a long trip. That's another possibility.
I'd agree that most "theatrics" of a trial attorney - particularly when mugging for a camera - lack pristine credibility.

And there's this: “certainly, based on what’s contained within the letter, it would appear as though the letter were written after Gabby was killed and before Brian took his life.” He's not saying that 'certainly' the letter was written after and before respective deaths. He's waying that the "appearance" is certain... um, to him.

Overall, I'd say the whole recent "developments" (so-to-speak) ... lawsuit, notebook jottings, letter... simply continue to reinforce how prevalent poor judgement was within the overall matter. While, admittedly to some extent, hindsight, I can't think of any person involved that hasn't been shown to have displayed substantial poor judgement.

Hearsay, even when reported by MSM, is still hearsay.
We now have two lawyers playing a public relations game.
Bertolino has released actual images of a letter which neither helps or hurts his clients.
The plaintiff lawyer talks of a mysterious letter without revealing its actual contents and hints that the FBI has other evidence they have acknowledged but not released.
It also appears the FBI is still withholding information while summarizing evidence to the lawyers. I wonder if the investigation is not as closed as it had been represented.

How would the FBI or the two lawyers know the letter was found in the van and moved to the house where it was later seized if not given this information by the Laundries themselves? If BL brought the letter into the house himself, that would be a poor description of what happened. The phrasing suggests that BL's parents searched or cleaned out the van for some reason. If that were the case, why save the letter?

Didn't Brian say he didn't really have a phone, while at the Moab police stop, but then pulled one out anyway? I wonder if he didn't like technology much so his mother wrote him a letter on paper instead of just emailing him. Or, she knew Gabby might grab his phone and read the message.

I also wonder if he told his parents what happened in Moab and that the mother was trying to "offer" some sort of deal, like "The relationship is toxic to you. You need to come home and end this trip. If you break up with her, we will [help you buy a condo] or [pay for your trip home] [or some other scheme to get him to end it with her]."

Just seems odd she would write a letter on paper in 2022 as he did have some sort of cell phone, it seemed.

not that it makes any difference but i still think there are "elements' of the letter that ring with some semblance of the truth...I don't think it was intentional. I think they fed off each others issues and I don't think he wanted to to go away forever but at some point with his poor mental judgement just strangled her to stop the pain for both of them. If he were alive he should have been tried and convicted of murder with no attempt to get help....but he is not here to stand trial and while the parents too made really BAD judgments the way the law works wonder if they can really be held accountable. I hope so but doubt it.
It is important to remember that killing someone by strangulation is a "long and deliberate" process that takes roughly between 62 to 157 seconds depending on the severity of the attack.

There is no way BL killed Gabby unintentionally.

Didn't Brian say he didn't really have a phone, while at the Moab police stop, but then pulled one out anyway? I wonder if he didn't like technology much so his mother wrote him a letter on paper instead of just emailing him. Or, she knew Gabby might grab his phone and read the message.

I also wonder if he told his parents what happened in Moab and that the mother was trying to "offer" some sort of deal, like "The relationship is toxic to you. You need to come home and end this trip. If you break up with her, we will [help you buy a condo] or [pay for your trip home] [or some other scheme to get him to end it with her]."

Just seems odd she would write a letter on paper in 2022 as he did have some sort of cell phone, it seemed.
I can think of a few reasons to write a letter: 1) Her son was in Wyoming and she couldn't reach him by voice call because he has disabled his phone (maybe has been advised by parents to disable it) in an attempt to hide his location, or because he did not have a signal in the park and you don't want to text or email because you don't want to leave an electronic trail 2) In Florida, tensions were flaring, everyone was tense and arguing, he went to the van to spend some time alone, and she wanted to break the tension without leaving an electronic trail, 3) Her son had done the unthinkable and was on his way home, and she wanted to collect her thoughts and lay them out for him without leaving an electronic trail.

I can think of a few reasons to write a letter: 1) Her son was in Wyoming and she couldn't reach him by voice call because he has disabled his phone (maybe has been advised by parents to disable it) in an attempt to hide his location, or because he did not have a signal in the park and you don't want to text or email because you don't want to leave an electronic trail 2) In Florida, tensions were flaring, everyone was tense and arguing, he went to the van to spend some time alone, and she wanted to break the tension without leaving an electronic trail, 3) Her son had done the unthinkable and was on his way home, and she wanted to collect her thoughts and lay them out for him without leaving an electronic trail.
I agree with those thoughts, except that given the state of the US mail these days, unless she overnighted it, it could have taken a few days or longer to reach him. So maybe it was overnighted...

That was a theory I proposed, but it's only one of many ideas, and likely incorrect. I was trying to figure out a way to explain how he might receive a letter in the mail before going back to FL.
Hmm but it also explains why he waited ~3 days before he started driving back. I think it makes sense. Moo.

I agree with those thoughts, except that given the state of the US mail these days, unless she overnighted it, it could have taken a few days or longer to reach him. So maybe it was overnighted...
Yeah, I was thinking that she might have fedexed it along with some cash and a burner phone or two. There are a number of shops in Jackson Hole that allow people to receive packages. You can also send mail for general delivery via the USPS where the recipient just stops by and picks it up, and she could have used an overnight box or envelope (both of those would be consistent with an envelope that had writing on the outside but no date/postmark/address). I checked and general delivery is available at the US post office in Jackson Hole.

It would be interesting to know if there were any charges on her credit card for shipping to Wyoming, or any texts or emails telling him that a package was en route. It's possible that he went someplace to get a cell signal to call his parents after he killed her and she told him she would send him some money/a package and where she would send it.

Yeah, I was thinking that she might have fedexed it along with some cash and a burner phone or two. There are a number of shops in Jackson Hole that allow people to receive packages. You can also send mail for general delivery via the USPS where the recipient just stops by and picks it up, and she could have used an overnight box or envelope (both of those would be consistent with an envelope that had writing on the outside but no date/postmark/address). I checked and general delivery is available at the US post office on Jackson Hole.
Makes sense, with the enormous amount of hikers/RVers out there!

not that it makes any difference but i still think there are "elements' of the letter that ring with some semblance of the truth...I don't think it was intentional. I think they fed off each others issues and I don't think he wanted to to go away forever but at some point with his poor mental judgement just strangled her to stop the pain for both of them. If he were alive he should have been tried and convicted of murder with no attempt to get help....but he is not here to stand trial and while the parents too made really BAD judgments the way the law works wonder if they can really be held accountable. I hope so but doubt it.
<modsnip> just because Gabby chose to stay in an abusive relationship. There's zero evidence that she had mental issues or that "they fed off each other".

Last edited by a moderator:
He was prolly having one of his entitled and infamous narcissistic sulks.
I'm writing those words while asking myself what I have become and telling myself I have such a long road ahead of myself to regain compassion.

It's just that I cannot muster an atom of sympathy for him.
I'm disgusted he wouldn't do the time. Truthfully, I resent him and his ilk.

Yeah, I was thinking that she might have fedexed it along with some cash and a burner phone or two. There are a number of shops in Jackson Hole that allow people to receive packages. You can also send mail for general delivery via the USPS where the recipient just stops by and picks it up, and she could have used an overnight box or envelope (both of those would be consistent with an envelope that had writing on the outside but no date/postmark/address). I checked and general delivery is available at the US post office in Jackson Hole.

It would be interesting to know if there were any charges on her credit card for shipping to Wyoming, or any texts or emails telling him that a package was en route. It's possible that he went someplace to get a cell signal to call his parents after he killed her and she told him she would send him some money/a package and where she would send it.
General Delivery also available in Moran, then a quick hike to Colter Bay for facilities/supplies.

But he had money. Gabby's money and cards and used them en route home.
She could well have sent the other items though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks