Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be surprised if BL made her uncomfortable about driving the van over time. There is footage of her driving. So it's not that she couldn't but that she stated she had anxiety over it to the cops, I think. If, for example, BL constantly criticized her when she tried to drive during the trip, she might have built up an anxiety about driving on her own and a dependency on BL to take care of that. It could have been a way to control her, his insistence that only he was capable of driving it safely or efficiency. All speculation on my part.

Does anyone believe that when BL left Wyoming, his plan was to spend some time with his family and then die by suicide, as his note implies?

I do not. I don't think it's a coincidence that he left for the Preserve two days after her mother made the initial police report and the very day of her mother's first public press conference.
Yes, I have felt all along that her mother's press conference was the trigger. It's easy to forget that at the time he wrote his notes and killed himself, GP had yet to be found, nobody was protesting in front of his parent's house, there was no warrant for his arrest...nothing. But I do think he was contemplating suicide much of the time. His spotify playlist suggests this. Maybe at first he hung around, trying to make an alibi, making it look like she was alive to text and use her debit cards, but by the time he got back to North Port, alone, he knew it was over. Jmo.

I wouldn't be surprised if BL made her uncomfortable about driving the van over time. There is footage of her driving. So it's not that she couldn't but that she stated she had anxiety over it to the cops, I think. If, for example, BL constantly criticized her when she tried to drive during the trip, she might have built up an anxiety about driving on her own and a dependency on BL to take care of that. It could have been a way to control her, his insistence that only he was capable of driving it safely or efficiency. All speculation on my part.
That's a great point. I agree that it would be totally consistent with what we know of him as domestic abuser to have done everything he could to make her dependent on him. As a side note, I believe the footage of her driving is from the first trip they took out west in a sedan, but I don't think that makes it any less likely that he undermined her confidence in her ability to manage the van, just the way he undermined her confidence in her ability to make a living by being a van life influencer.

I think you are spot on with the intimidation and him being the only driver was a lot of power over her. He literally controlled the trip this way.

(I googled: jailbreak saw in cake

The concept of baking a saw into a cake, (hacksaw blade, I’d guess,) has been around for a long time, in fact, fiction, or legend.

If RL really wrote it, I doubt that she meant it literally—I’d translate it as: I’ll do anything I can, legal or not legal, to keep you safe from the law.”

MOO
Good find! I was thinking of looking up "shiv in a cake" but never did. I probably would have found it.

Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't meant literally. If she meant it as a joke, it would have been in very bad taste if it pertained to the murder.

I''ve also found it very odd that a young woman would buy a van that she was not comfortable driving and proceed with a trip in the van that relied on someone else being the driver. I can't wrap my arms around that.
Maybe "he" wanted that van. Insisted on them getting it. Promised to do all the driving. Hmmm......

I recall there was a camera aimed at the back of their home that LE installed with a neighbor's permission. I don't know the legalities of that - can they place surveillance on a home if the owners of the home aren't being accused of criminal behavior without their permission, if BL wasn't even charged yet? But aside from that, I wonder if such cameras can have high power microphones attached to pick up conversations as well.
I'm don't know what LE can/can't do with/without judicial order, but it is illegal in FL for a person to videotape the private outdoor yard of a neighbor.
[...] The individual should set up the camera properly, so it faces their property and does not record areas of their neighbors’ homes or yards.[...]

Florida Video Surveillance Laws
December 22, 2021
Video surveillance in Florida is a complex subject. The question, “Does an individual or business have the freedom or a requirement to make a recording with a security camera?” depends on context. Florida is a two-party consent state. Both parties who are being recorded must consent for the act of recording to be legal. Under Florida state law, a prosecutor may treat each recording as a separate offense.

Home Security Cameras

An individual is allowed to record their own home and property with home security cameras if city and county ordinances and their homeowner’s association permit such use. The individual should set up the camera properly, so it faces their property and does not record areas of their neighbors’ homes or yards. When one party in the home secretly records another person without their consent, the recorded person may have grounds to file a lawsuit for invasion of privacy.

Invasion of Privacy Tort

Florida Statute Section 934.10 allows an individual to file an invasion of privacy lawsuit against a person who makes a recording of them or their home. A person has a reasonable expectation of privacy in their daily affairs as well as in events at their home. The claim also allows the plaintiff to recover reasonable attorney’s fees and punitive damages. The amount of recovery is $100 for each day of violation or $1,000, whichever is higher.
[...]

If it acts like a cold-blooded murderer, and writes like a cold-blooded murderer, it's a cold-blooded murderer. He can't even admit in his diary he killed her instead making himself the Savior of Gabby....you cannot get a better example of the delusional mind of a narcissist (in my opinion).

And the experts in this article agree:

Thanks for the link---interesting article.

"Kelly said that the letter, along with Laundrie's past behavior on police body camera in Moab, Utah, and in a purported fight with wait staff at a Jackson restaurant shortly before Petito's death, exhibited signs of extremely narcissistic personality disorder and sociopathic disorder."

"Those events were also evidence of a pattern, according to Jensen."

"The truth is he killed her because he was a domestic abuser," Jensen said. "He strangled her and had done so before. The fact was suggested about their fight on Aug. 12 in Moab."

I'm don't know what LE can/can't do with/without judicial order, but it is illegal in FL for a person to videotape the private outdoor yard of a neighbor.
[...] The individual should set up the camera properly, so it faces their property and does not record areas of their neighbors’ homes or yards.[...]

Florida Video Surveillance Laws
December 22, 2021
Video surveillance in Florida is a complex subject. The question, “Does an individual or business have the freedom or a requirement to make a recording with a security camera?” depends on context. Florida is a two-party consent state. Both parties who are being recorded must consent for the act of recording to be legal. Under Florida state law, a prosecutor may treat each recording as a separate offense.

Home Security Cameras

An individual is allowed to record their own home and property with home security cameras if city and county ordinances and their homeowner’s association permit such use. The individual should set up the camera properly, so it faces their property and does not record areas of their neighbors’ homes or yards. When one party in the home secretly records another person without their consent, the recorded person may have grounds to file a lawsuit for invasion of privacy.

Invasion of Privacy Tort

Florida Statute Section 934.10 allows an individual to file an invasion of privacy lawsuit against a person who makes a recording of them or their home. A person has a reasonable expectation of privacy in their daily affairs as well as in events at their home. The claim also allows the plaintiff to recover reasonable attorney’s fees and punitive damages. The amount of recovery is $100 for each day of violation or $1,000, whichever is higher.
[...]
Yes, an individual private citizen can't. But I agree with you we don't know what LE are allowed to do.

I''ve also found it very odd that a young woman would buy a van that she was not comfortable driving and proceed with a trip in the van that relied on someone else being the driver. I can't wrap my arms around that.
I think Gabby trusted him. Even after the traffic stop, she didn't want to be separated from him.

No criticizing intended on GP, but I think it stemmed from the daydreaming of a young woman hungry for adventure and recognition. And she maybe viewed BL as a partner, so no need to think things through any further than that. Again, I'm not being critical. I remember being in my early 20s. The whole thing was certainly obtainable, but in hindsight, we can see they were probably in over their heads. Too many other significant factors at play. Jmo.

Even mature adults can make decisions and not expect the unexpected. Just think what might have been had the Moab stop been their parting of ways...sigh.

In the end, no matter what BL wrote in his confessions, or whether or not the Ls knew what happened, the real tragedy is that GP's death wasn't prevented. And I'm not taking a stance on the politics of DV and such, I'm just sad that things spiraled out of control like they did.
I agree. So far as the van not being a vehicle GP liked to drive, that puzzles me a little too. I do think what may have happened-- they went on the first trip to the West Coast in a Nissan her parents leased for them to go on that trip. But they fought alot. Rather than wising up and realizing they fought all the time no matter what, one or the other of them or both
(can't remember if we were told which), decided they fought because the car was too small and they were too cramped. So they decided to get a bigger vehicle for their next trip. That doesn't make sense to me but ok. (I don't like driving large vehicles either or having to use side mirrors excessively. I can do it but I don't like to especially on unfamiliar or very busy roads. But living in a car vs a small van? Meh.) And so the van wasn't a personal vehicle in the usual sense. It was obtained for extra space.

I don't know if GP was really anxious to be a van life influencer. She wrote on her IG or in one of their videos intros that was the only way she could think of to make money to travel all the time and not be tied down by a regular job. I think she did try to make a go of it. I'm just not sure if she truly wanted to do internet stuff or if it was just a way to fund the nomadic lifestyle she thought she wanted.

BL has been criticized for not being supportive enough of GP's influencer plans. And it would make me mad not to be supported but...I think he may have been a little more realistic about the plan's chance of success. I'm also not sure he bought into the idea of being a permanent nomad. And if he didn't, it was a shame he attempted to go along with it. Living in a van 24/7 and driving all over the country is hardly like compromising on the choice of a restaurant or a movie.

I definitely think immaturity played a role. And it is very sad there wasn't something that changed the outcome. While the P's and S's have said they didn't see anything wrong in the relationship, I suspect the L's at least knew they fought having lived with them. We also know Rose claimed Gabby would frequently spend the night with her when fighting with BL. Assuming we can trust Rose's story, it's not clear when that happened. It may have only been when G&B lived in the rent-free condo the L's owned as that period is when Rose seemed most involved. But if it also happened when they lived with the L's, they had to know the relationship wasn't great. Still, I'm not sure what any parent can do to influence an adult child's choices.

So basically he is saying he killed her because she was cold and in pain, since he didn't know the extent of her injuries other than a small bump on her head.

I wonder if it occurred to him as he was writing how ridiculous it sounds. He had plenty of time to invent a story yet this is what he came up with.

I don't think it occurred to BL that what he was writing was ridiculous, because he wasn't a very intelligent person to begin with. MOO.

He can withhold all he wants. His client's complaint will be dismissed in the next court date. The Pepito's have absolutely no case against the Laundries. MOO.
Its not ok for Rielly to promote witholding. But is acceptable for Bertilino to promote withholding.

Definition of oxymoron:
  1. a figure of speech in which contradictory terms are pulled together.

And.... still... all this so-called/implied damning "evidence" was in the hands of the FBI for months now... surely to have been reviewed/analyzed/etc... and - it appears - did not cause warrants/charges/etc. And now returned to private citizens. How meaningful can it really be?
Indeed!

X There was also something referenced in Raberta's letter about Gabby.

X It wasn't an offer by Raberta to help Brian commit suicide.

X It was an offer that had to do with Gabby.

X He wrote: "Knowing that everyday you’ll wake up without her, you wouldn’t want to wake up. I’m sorry to everyone this will affect...I am sorry to my family. This is a shock to them as well as a terrible greif."

MOO Laundries knew Gabby died.

I don't think it occurred to BL that what he was writing was ridiculous, because he wasn't a very intelligent person to begin with. MOO.
Well, yeah. But I think it was more than that. The few examples of his writings we saw in the beginning were bizarre. Someone posted them the last time I asked about them but I don't know how to find it again.

He was talking about society and how materialistic people are and wrote something like, "you would never see a turtle wearing designer clothes," as if it were something profound.

It was just odd. I can't pretend to know what went on in Brian's mind, but there was something off about him. He seemed to talk in clichés.

"Until death do we part."

And then there's mom's, "I'll bake a cake and put a saw in it."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads