Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #85

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

But there's some irony too-- Expressing concern by making a statement through SB (assuming they did & he hadn't gone rogue) apparently is what allows the case to go forward. Had they said nothing, they would have been better off. I think that's going to be the takeaway for alot of people. The ruling seems to says they didn't have a duty to speak or to act....

I truly hope this is NOT going to be the takeaway for the next set of parents who find themselves in the Laundries' shoes.

Imo it's all about the context and the timing.

Had the Laundries expressed concern and SHOWED it by answering the frantic phone calls from Gabby's family, I think they would be victims as well. If they did not know at the time why she was missing, if they did not know she was dead, if they did not know Brian was the one who did it, I would grieve with them tremendously. And c'mon, you answer the phone when your son's girlfriend is missing on a trip with him and her parents are calling you!

Their situation is tremendously painful, IMO, and had they stayed on the side of decency I would be supporting them. Their son is dead and was a murderer. That's bad. They must be miserable. But IMO they truly made things worse for Gabby's family.

I don't want the lesson learned here, for parents of a future murderer, to be that they will protect their murderous child at great cost to the family of the victim. I would hope that those parents would comply with compassion, particularly when the murder victim lived with them and was part of the family.

I understand lawyers get involved and things go haywire, but I hope if I were in their shoes I would not be so callous.

Jmo

Last edited:
No. The Court typed: "The Court must assume this to be true for this motion.
Yes, the Court had to assume the allegations to be true for the MTD. The Court does not make any assumption about the truth of the allegations going forward though. They aren't assumed to be true except in that one narrow MTD situation. And the Court warned the reader not to assume the allegations were true. They have to be proven. So the allegations can't be relied upon to tell us when SB was called or retained. Or when GP died. Or what the L's knew. All that will require actual evidence.

Yes, the Court had to assume the allegations to be true for the MTD. The Court does not make any assumption about the truth of the allegations going forward though. They aren't assumed to be true except in that one narrow MTD situation. And the Court warned the reader not to assume the allegations were true. They have to be proven. So the allegations can't be relied upon to tell us when SB was called or retained. Or when GP died. Or what the L's knew. All that will require actual evidence.
Be both are accurate just saying it in different ways.

This thread is now closed. Please continue the discussion here:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members