Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in Colombia earlier this year. It's super easy to come and go with an American passport. They dropped COVID testing requirements earlier this year. Security there is also super easy- if you saran wrap your bag before checking it, they won't open it. A lot of Colombians saran wrap their bags because security is known to "lose" things of value from bags. There are no health checks, no tracing, nothing...once you're in, it's pretty easy to move around. Also, flights out of MIA are under $200. There are so many places where it's easy to come and go with just a vaccine card and a passport.
you are stating that Colombia requires a vaccine card?

Dont know why this came on thread. Am in Colombia. Brit national having lived here for about 30 years. Brother in China

Personally, I agree. We don't know him, and we don't know his mindset, so suicide is obviously a possibility.

I tend to think that hasn't happened though, as he certainly had the opportunity to do that over the past few weeks.

Things have certainly escalated, and the clock is ticking, but I doubt it for some reason.

The reason I thought he might be leaning that way was the suggestion by another poster that LE might have been looking for a concealed carry when they searched the Mustang today. It was clear that they weren't looking for evidence (unless they are extraordinarily incompetent) so were likely to be looking for something at the family's request. And if there had previously been a gun in there, they didn't find it, so it would be gone.

OMG - this line of logic (which I'm only trying on, not adopting) would indicate that he'd be "armed and dangerous."

Not really to me. Here in Southern California, I see men who look like him whose ages probably range from 20s to 40s. Same facial hair, same basic hairlines because many of them buzz their hair short. I'd have to look at someone with those features long and hard before I could even attempt to guess their age and then try to determine whether it was him or not.

By the way, how old are he and Gabby anyway? I read it somewhere but I've forgotten. (This question not directed at you, Dawg, but to the community at large.)
BL may not be bald.
My son in law has buzzed his hair off since high school. (He hates his curly hair)

Much easier for him to hide right in the USA. He's not tall, not short, not ugly nor handsome. Just another guy. Especially if they are passing him money and he doesn't have to work.
His family might have given him some cash before he left, but at some point he will need more financial support. How can his family anonymously continue to finance him? I'm sure every financial move made by his family and friends will be closely monitored by LE. How is he going to communicate with his family or his financial supporter? A burner phone? That can be traced also. If he takes any medications, how will he get those?
The only job he could possibly get would be for cash.

I don't see him being able to be on the run for long. Hopefully when he is caught, he will give Gabby's family some peace and honestly tell them what happened.

Prayers for Gabby's family.

Nope- no vaccine card required for Colombia, but if you are vaccinated, it opens the door for many more countries that only require a vaccination.

For the countries that do require testing, that is also easy- most airports have testing available on-site.

I personally don't think this guy would leave the country given his level of dependency on his parents, but it can't be ruled out due to difficulty.
I don't think the vaccine requirement is widespread in sa. the pcr and proof of negativity is more widely used. Anyway, he can't hide.

Makes sense, though it seems like cooperation has been off the table from the get-go. I like hammers, like to see them drop on people like BL and his parents.

What are the odds he left and will self harm to avoid being prosecuted?
There's just no telling. Anecdotally, it seems that most of these guys don't actually do that, although there are certainly no shortage of examples where that has occurred.

I'm leaning against it though.

I like hammers too, which is what I view this nonstop pressure as. Although legal repercussions offer that pressure, we've seen it from all sides.

It's been strong, and it's been constant.

He doesn't seam like the loner type. That "vanlife" doesn't really require the survival skills he would need hiding/hiking in the wilderness. I also don't think this guy is going off to foreign countries to start a new life. He's probably not far from home. I think he's extremely dangerous and possibly unstable, based on what we do know.

His family might have given him some cash before he left, but at some point he will need more financial support. How can his family anonymously continue to finance him? I'm sure every financial move made by his family and friends will be closely monitored by LE. How is he going to communicate with his family or his financial supporter? A burner phone? That can be traced also. If he takes any medications, how will he get those?
The only job he could possibly get would be for cash.

I don't see him being able to be on the run for long. Hopefully when he is caught, he will give Gabby's family some peace and honestly tell them what happened.

Prayers for Gabby's family.
"I'm sure every financial move made by his family and friends will be closely monitored by LE."

Given they lost sight of BL (if they ever had it), I don't share your confidence.

Don’t think I’ve ever posted before but I’ve been a visitor here for a long time!

This is MOO! x100 but I am quite a national parks junkie and a solo backpacker. I get the impression from social media pictures that GP and BL were not doing any backpacking or traveling into truly remote areas. Delicate Arch, The Narrows, Mesa Arch, Queens Garden (spots I’ve seen her pics from Insta) are all VERY highly trafficked spots, easily accessed from a main road within one of the parks.

I lived in Idaho for a long time and have gone between Jackson and (my town), Idaho many times. It is more plausible to me that if she was seen at the store in Victor, headed to Yellowstone, then the much less tourist-populated areas in eastern Idaho would be where to look. I just can’t imagine it being summer/tourist season that GP would have been hidden in the park and no one have come across her yet. I didn’t see any gear that would indicate either of them were equipped for multi-day trips (which I would think you’d need to potentially hide a person in a national park during tourist season). I’ve traveled some pretty remote trails out there and have always run into at least one other person.

My guess is that she is not in a national park, but possibly in eastern Idaho, unless BL “left” her on his way back home in another very remote area.

I wonder if he has harmed himself. Again, I don’t see the wilderness knowledge there to be taking off into the woods on the run for even a few days without being noticed or re-emerging voluntarily or for supplies.

I believe GP will be found soon. There are a lot of places to hide in the woods but you need to know the area. Outdoor recreation is ID/WY/UT’s main source of fun for a huge swath of people, and they go anywhere and everywhere. He doesn’t know the area well enough to get away with this. IMO!

Many thanks for your useful and informative remarks. I've never been to any of those areas, so I've learned something today! Very helpful to someone who has hiked in my NC mountains only a few of times.
And even if you've been here a while, let me also say this:

Welcome to Websleuths,
maggiemtn !!

Statement released from North Port Police just now -- said he was last seen "WEARING A HIKING BAG WITH A WAIST STRAP."

I don't know anyone who wears a HIKING BAG with a WAIST STRAP inside their parents' living room.

Why was this included in the police note? WHERE was he last seen?!

I'm assuming on a hiking trail.
They might’ve just noticed it as something he came home with that is now missing and assume it to be with him.

There's just no telling. Anecdotally, it seems that most of these guys don't actually do that, although there are certainly no shortage of examples where that has occurred.

I'm leaning against it though.

I like hammers too, which is what I view this nonstop pressure as. Although legal repercussions offer that pressure, we've seen it from all sides.

It's been strong, and it's been constant.

Good point!

If the FBI, etc. had found cadaver smell in the van, wouldn't they have already taken things to the next level with B? So can we assume they did not find evidence of a cadaver?

One would think so- another thing to consider is that the chemicals causing the cadaver smell aren't produced in detectable amounts until about day 3 after death. The lack of cadaverine, etc. wouldn't rule out having a body in the vehicle.

Even worse, they didn't reach out-Brian's attorney did. The attorney made the initial call to police. These people have no moral compass at all. My guess is, they sent Brian off, played a few days with police and the attorney and then told the attorney today that Brian was "missing".
I wonder if they even told him at all or if the attorney had been trying to talk to him for 3 days and the family wasn’t producing him and figured it out or they came clean or something? (Obviously MOO)

Because the police messed up. While it is true he could not have his wires tapped, video surveillance, etc, they could keep tabs on him. That's how police work is done. They are trying to muddy the waters and confuse you all. Don't buy into it. It's simply not accurate that they could not keep tabs on this guy. In fact, it makes it more likely than ever that they never had any proof he was even in the state of Florida.

My guess is that he skipped town late last week, possibly before she was actually declared missing, and that Gabby's family reaching out is what made him flee. Meanwhile, his parents covered for him, telling LE that he was with them, and going totally quiet because... well... he wasn't around or possibly even reachable to make any sort of statement. But their lawyer made some really vague statements for "him". Maybe he had been in contact with his parents through other means (phone calls, texts, etc.) up until Tuesday. Then he went silent. And after a few days his parents may have started fearing the worst for their son. Or since the lawyer was the one that called the cops to talk to the family, maybe he started pressuring them that Brian needs to take some action (even if it was just talking directly to him), and they finally got pushed to the point of admitting they didn't know where he was and had lost contact with him.

In any case, if we assumed that he wasn't even at the house anymore on the 11th, when Gabby was reported missing and the van was impounded, the police could have had all the staff in the world on that house, and never would have seen him leave. Because he wouldn't have been there. And since they didn't have any legal standing to enter the home, they'd only have the family's word that he was with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong