You're so Vain by Carly Simon mystery man

This is interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You're_So_Vain

...On June 19, 2008 Howard Stern claimed that Simon had privately revealed to him about whom the song was written after her interview on his popular radio show on Sirius Satellite Radio. Stern commented, "There is an odd aspect to it ... he's not that vain." On March 17, 2009 again on his program, Stern claimed that she had said it was a "composite of three people". Stern repeated this on May 5, 2014 claiming, "she takes me aside, pulls me close, whispers in my ear.. three names. She goes, it wasn't one person, it was three people." Stern thought that one of the names was Warren Beatty and another might be David Geffen, but said that he

"forgot."...

BBM.... "He Forgot" is eerily similar to "Wfgodot".... :waitasec:

Interesting guess, but I've never heard him being linked to the song.

At the height of his fame David Cassidy did a lot of flying from country to country. So maybe the Lear Jet line fits him. :thinking:

Cassidy and Beatty are huge egotists, or were at one time. So they'd fit the vain part. :thinking: I don't know enough about David Blue or David Bowie to pass judgment on them for being egotistical. Her laughing about Geffen and saying it's definitely not about him makes me rule him out. So now we're stuck with Beatty, Bowie, Blue and Cassidy. Beatty, she's said, has a little to do with it. So maybe he's a tiny fourth composite. :thinking: Meaning Bowie , Cassidy and Blue all as Davids. That would satisfy the clue David.

Hmmm... Maybe we are missing some "Blues Clues"..... :websleuther:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue's_Clues

The rumored answer I recall from back in the day was then (and now) Gov. Jerry Brown (Edmund Gerald Brown, Jr).

Personally... I would prefer Jackson Brown...

But that is all JMO..... :wink:

Gavotting aside, perhaps it was CS's first manager, Jerry Brandt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Brandt

http://www.carlysimon.com/Biography.html

ETA: On second thought, he might gavotte (buds with Andy Warhol, flamboyant, founder of the Electric Circus -- lots of gavotting there back in the day). Likes scarves, too. ;)

I can't find anything with Brandt's middle name. Brandt was married and divorced in 1971. So maybe. If his middle name is David we can add him to the list.

Art is rarely if ever about only one subject.

Everybody knows her song 'Anticipation' is exclusively about ketchup, however.

This is about the song on Carly Simon's official website. http://www.carlysimon.com/You're_So_Vain.html

In January of 1973, You're So Vain was the # 1 hit song on the radio. Carly Simon had just married fellow pop-superstar James Taylor a month before, so when You're So Vain hit the airwaves, it stirred intense curiosity about which one of her previous lovers was the subject of this wry nod to the male ego. Was it Mick Jagger? Cat Stevens? Warren Beatty? Kris Kristofferson? It was common knowledge that she had been involved with each of them in the past. To this day, she is still asked the question "Who is You're So Vain about?". Here you can read some her responses for clues.

What does "Clouds In My Coffee" mean?

"It came from an airplane flight that I took with Billy Mernit, who was my friend and piano player at the time. As I got my coffee, there were clouds outside the window of the airplane and you could see the reflection in the cup of coffee. Billy said to me, 'Look at the clouds in your coffee'. I liked the phrase and used it to illustrate the "illusion" of having a relationship with the subject of the song".

There's a lot more after that.

This is directly from the link above to Carly's site:

Sheila Weller (writing for Vanity Fair) contacted Carly in London when her plane landed, and got her response: " I said “Ovid” [emphasis ours] both front- and backward together on the CD, and it came out sounding like 'David’ to some, I guess. But I meant it as an allusion to metamorphosis, and that this group of songs was rechanneled into a different cockroach. Kafka? Coffee? Clouds? I know it’s boring, but that could be good! "

Well, mustachioed player-around-town David Crosby was a name tossed into many hats, so to speak, back in the day.

The rumored answer I recall from back in the day was then (and now) Gov. Jerry Brown (Edmund Gerald Brown, Jr).
I thought ol' Jerry was traveling to the beat of a different drum, one might say, with Linda Ronstadt back then (back when politicos were frolicking with the arty crowd, Gov. Bob Kerrey, D.-Nebraska, I'm looking at you and Debra Winger!)...maybe it was both. (Nebraska was then known as a state with a unicameral legislature, horizontal stoplights, and a governor getting horizontal with Deb Winger.) Or was it Stevie Nicks? Wow, those '70s.

Jerry and Rondstadt were indeed an item at one time, though iirc, he made the rounds with other chick singers. After reminiscing and reading a bit today, however, I like the other Jerry I mentioned, Jerry Brandt.

Carly says she was saying "Ovid". The first Ovid I found on Google is Ovid Michigan. Is this person from Ovid Michigan? I Googled famous people from Ovid, but crapped out. That doesn't mean they couldn't be.

I have more to write, but I have something to post in the Brittanee Drexel thread first.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back