YouTuber reveals she gave her 4-year-old adopted son with autism to another family

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by shadowraiths, May 28, 2020.

1. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

The whole reason that you would want to document a transfer of a child is to insure that the child is safe and protected. Who has vetted the "new family"? Has there been a criminal background check? Is the home safe for a child? Has the family been part of the family services for criminal activity in the past? Are the "new parents" vetted for raising a child with special needs? What legal process has occurred that insures that this child is able to access education and medical care in an efficient manner? Does this child qualify for SSI and who is getting the check?

We have seen "new parents" who physically, sexually and emotionally abused children in the past? Further, we have also seen shadow adoptions take place where the kids are not able to be traced and wind up in vulnerable/abused or killed circumstances. This is not okay.

2. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

When did they go to Bali? Before the pandemic?

3. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

Hope he is found safe.
    This is disturbing on so many levels.
    I can't imagine.
    "Rehomed " him to a 'forever home".
    Appalling.

Our rescue cat is a handful but we'd never abandon him.
    He is a work in progress and likes my DH the best. (DH was not a 'cat' person. He is now. :p )

And this is a 4 year old child !!
    A human being.
    Gah !

4. scdiv

scdiv Well-Known Member

Yes, I believe end of January/early February. But how odd to only take the 7 month old baby and none of the other kids. And all the fake perky posts about what an awesome vacation this was. Which comes off as so disingenuous given that they had just "re-homed" their son.

She's taken down all the pictures of H on her instagram. As she should, for his privacy, but also feels weird like he was just erased from their lives.

5. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

From her IG, it looks like the end of January.

6. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

I saw the husband has an auto detailing company, but do they have any other sources of income? Now that they were dropped from pretty much every sponsorship, it’s going to be expensive to uphold their cushy lifestyle. I am really glad that a lot of brands were quick and public about ending their relationship with the Stauffers.

7. bears10

Ugh this is a clip from the video where she goes into how the doctor warned them about how severe things are and tried to discourage them from adopting H. Then she says how her son isn’t returnable and they will love him no matter what. (I paraphrased but that’s the gist)

Twitter

8. Dutchesse

Dutchesse Active Member

Yeah, this makes me really fear for this boy. I hope LE finds him soon. I'm also thankful that this got so much attention, so that if something did happen to the boy, there will at least be consequences for this couple.

9. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

This is an interesting article from Sept 2019 about how they came to adopt Huxley.

I think international adoption is such a beautiful and special process that I will always cherish. Is there hardships and hiccups that you may not have faced being in the U.S.? Totally. However, you’re giving that child a future that would have never been possible.

<snip>

It’s not easy, you will second guess yourself, but you will get through it and never imagine your life without that child. My husband and I are better parents to all of our children because of it.
    BBM

Myka Stauffer Opens Up About Adoption

10. shadowraiths

shadowraiths LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special Staff Member Moderator

Ohio’s Delaware County Sheriff’s Office just tweeted this PSA:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  11. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

Thanks for the link. It appears he is safe and protected. For that, I am relieved and hopeful for him that this transfer is positive, giving him the support and love he needs.

The Stauffer's monetization of his life makes me so sad, especially when coupled with (what I see as) a deliberate ruse to make everyone think that the adoption and home-life process was so positive and wonderful for more clicks. It reminds me of the click bait stories on my news feeds--the story is never the same as the headline.

Carpooler, kimpage, gitana1 and 11 others like this.
  12. shadowraiths

shadowraiths LISK Liaison, Verified Forensic Psychology Special Staff Member Moderator

Agreed. There are times when I'm glad I'm wrong. This is one of them.

Agreed, again. I really wish social media companies would ban child exploitation. But, sadly, unless the government gets involved, I doubt they will. After all, they make a great deal of money off of these people's videos.

kaen, byo, gitana1 and 6 others like this.
  13. Lusitana

Lusitana Well-Known Member

Isn't this child trafficking?

14. RT51

RT51 Active Member

First time posting in years. I knew a family that did this quite a few years ago. Their youngest son died from a brain tumor. They traveled to Eastern Europe to adopt a new son. I think the mother expected him to run to her with open arms. After being home in the US for a couple of months. She wanted to give him up as he didn't fulfill her needs. The adoptive father was devastated. She got her way, and re-homed him. They ended up divorced because of it.

15. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

Welcome back @RT51. What a sad, sad story. I suspect it’s not uncommon in re-homing situations.

16. MichelleBlue

MichelleBlue Well-Known Member

So relieved to hear that he is not missing. I was concerned that he was not safe. Hopefully he can begin a lifetime of healing now.

17. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Same with my hyena of a dog. She was a two year old rescue when I got her and is a Tasmanian devil because she was neglected and is a serious working breed that needs hours of exercise each day to stay sane.

I was so stressed for the first several months. Acid indigestion. Felt at times I couldn’t cope. That I wasn’t the right person for her.

But I didn’t quit and had no intentions of doing so. I changed MYSELF in order to be better able to serve her!

And yet for an actual, beautiful little child, these parents couldn’t? And based on everything she’s posted he seems sweet, receptive, bonded, able to learn, and super happy. I know kids with special needs have serious problems that can erupt. Losing control and becoming violent when overwhelmed, for example.

But you don’t abandon them! Just like we didn’t abandon our pets. This child is human!

18. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

He should have kept the kid and just left her.

19. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

Thank you for this update. Given these odd circumstances, it is reasonable to question the child's well being and request evidence the child is alive and well.
    If alive, I would want to know if money exchanged hands, and for what purpose. While I am not accusing anyone of wrong doing, when it comes to the welfare of a child, we must be diligent in insuring their safety.

Children are so vulnerable.
    This situation sounds so off, but perhaps that's because I don't have all the facts.

Amateur opinion and speculation

20. bears10

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

it’s understandable to pursue a special needs foreign child to adopt, then decide “ehhh too much work, what’s the return policy?” Wowza

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2020