Zahau Death Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure who you're directing your post to, but I thought what you had posted earlier was valid and plausible. I have no disagreements re: Dina/Nina bits.

I agree also that fortunately XZ left before the lynching of Becky took place. Had she been around, she might have been the second so-called "suicide" victim.
<modsnip>

I'm still learning how to do things on this website so hopefully this post is directed to bourne.

<modsnip> Jonah never got angry with SDSO detectives or Gore and Gore took Jonah's word as gospel. Pfingst probably dropping a dime to Bonnie Dumanis the SD DA to stay out of this case and to his good friend (Gary Thompson) was now the Director of SDSO Crime Lab.

Mrs. Holmes - I was searching for an article that NINA claimed her son was sick so she cancelled the scheduled Friday poly. I did find a Joel Siegfried article on NINA's tapes and he had quoted NINA saying the family knew by Thursday that Max was not going to make it so here we go again.....the current scoreboard of when MAX condition turned GRAVE:

1- Jonah says Tuesday night after 8:00 pm because he went to dinner with Adam and Rebecca before and obviously didn't mention this dire news.
2- Shady Sheriff Gore - whatever Jonah says is true ..right Gore? This is like the All State commercial where the blond girl is talking with her neighbor outside and she says something and the guy says," where do you hear that"...she responds,"the internet" then he says another thing and she responds and he says again, 'where did you hear that"...she says," the internet" and then she has to leave when her "French model" date from "the internet" shows up looking like a young unkept Al Bundy.
3-NINA saying it was Thursday when family knew Max wouldn't make it.
4- DINA says Friday on several national television shows when she first knew that Max wasn't going to make it.
5- Someone is lying....why? Therein begins the "real" story in this Death Case.

This is a CRUCIAL aspect of the case given shady sheriff gore based his RZ suicide theory solely on Jonah's hearsay early Wednesday (12:30 am) voicemail message about Max's GRAVE condition. My thoughts that even if RZ
happened to listen to the voicemail message and the contents as Jonah would later describe....Rebecca wouldn't erase the message thus Jonah communicated to someone in the house to erase that message.

Dr.Peterson from Rady hasn't made any statements to the public and we haven't read Max's hospital Charts so we can only assume that Rady Hospital has been put "on notice" by Jonah and his legal reps.

Jonah, Dina, Nina and Adam need to be re-interviewed by either the Justice Dept. or CA Attorney General's K.Harris investigators for the sake of justice.

I'm still learning how to do things on this website so hopefully this post is directed to bourne.

<modsnip> Jonah never got angry with SDSO detectives or Gore and Gore took Jonah's word as gospel. Pfingst probably dropping a dime to Bonnie Dumanis the SD DA to stay out of this case and to his good friend (Gary Thompson) was now the Director of SDSO Crime Lab.

Mrs. Holmes - I was searching for an article that NINA claimed her son was sick so she cancelled the scheduled Friday poly. I did find a Joel Siegfried article on NINA's tapes and he had quoted NINA saying the family knew by Thursday that Max was not going to make it so here we go again.....the current scoreboard of when MAX condition turned GRAVE:

1- Jonah says Tuesday night after 8:00 pm because he went to dinner with Adam and Rebecca before and obviously didn't mention this dire news.
2- Shady Sheriff Gore - whatever Jonah says is true ..right Gore? This is like the All State commercial where the blond girl is talking with her neighbor outside and she says something and the guy says," where do you hear that"...she responds,"the internet" then he says another thing and she responds and he says again, 'where did you hear that"...she says," the internet" and then she has to leave when her "French model" date from "the internet" shows up looking like a young unkept Al Bundy.
4- DINA says Friday on several national television shows when she first knew that Max wasn't going to make it.

This is a CRUCIAL aspect of the case given shady sheriff gore based his RZ suicide theory solely on Jonah's hearsay early Wednesday (12:30 am) voicemail message about Max's GRAVE condition. My thoughts that even if RZ
happened to listen to the voicemail message and the contents as Jonah would later describe....Rebecca wouldn't erase the message thus Jonah communicated to someone in the house to erase that message.

Dr.Peterson from Rady hasn't made any statements to the public and we haven't read Max's hospital Charts so we can only assume that Rady Hospital has been put "on notice" by Jonah and his legal reps.

Jonah, Dina, Nina and Adam need to be re-interviewed by either the Justice Dept. or CA Attorney General's K.Harris investigators for the sake of justice.

Hi Serpico, welcome to WS! You will get the hang of posting on here in no time.

I was the one who posted the reason Nina gave for canceling her poly had nothing to do with her son. At least not for the poly. Nina did however use her son as the reason she could not go to the police department for further testing on Wednesday when requested by agents from the DOJ. She allegedly couldn't leave her son alone. I think this might be where you remember Nina using her son as an excuse.

I agree, everyone needs interviewed again and given polygraphs. Heck, some people were never interviewed at all. Nina states there were 2 other adults staying at Dina's home Tuesday night. I'm guessing this is the reason Nina felt comfortable leaving her son the night she walked to Spreckels. It doesn't appear SDSO even verified Nina's story with the other adults or even interviewed them at all.

Nina couldn't leave her son -

NINA: So we spoke for about an hour. I made my statement. I told them that from the time I got to San Diego to that minute when I was talking to them, I told them what I was doing everything. And they said will you be willing to give us your DNA and I said absolutely. I said anything I can do because at that point, I was scared and I'm like I don't know what's going on and I'm frightened as well. Anything I can do to help you guys figure out what the hell is going on I'm going to help you with. So um they asked me if I would go to the PD at that time and I said- and this was like at 1030 at night, that there was no way I could leave my son there by himself so can you have somebody come here and do it because I don't feel comfortable leaving my son so they called the CS-2 CSI people and they came to my sister's house and they came there.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/nina_romano.mp3

REPORTER: And did the cops ever interview the family friend to confirm your story -- I mean your story -- but you know what I'm saying -- I mean they interviewed you and asked you exactly where you were -- they basically asked you everything and more, you know, than I asked you but did they ever try to confirm where you were at the time they thought she died? Like through your friend -- the friend that was there with you?

NINA: You know I don't know if they did. Um, that's a good question I don't know if they spoke to her.

REPORTER: Okay.

NINA: She was -- I believe she was at the hospital that Wednesday night when they came to my sister&#8217;s house -- she was actually at the hospital with my sister so (pause) I don't know. I haven't seen the police report. I've never seen the reports that you've seen. I've never seen them so I don't know if they did or not um like I said at my sister's house there was myself, my son, a friend of my sister's, and another friend. There were four people in the house.

REPORTER: On Tuesday night?

NINA: Yeah.

REPORTER: Okay, so there was you and your son and how many other people?

NINA: Two of my sister&#8217;s friends.

REPORTER: And they're both females or they're males?

NINA: One male and one female.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/nina_romano.mp3

I agree that Jonah has vast power, money, and political influence and did appear to have pull strings in both Becky's and Max's cases. <modsnip>

I don't believe the hospital need to be put "on notice" by Jonah or anyone to know that charges of medical malpractice/ethical misconduct could be brought if Dr. Peterson (or any medical staff) made false allegations against someone of child abuse. That's why HIPAA and other privacy laws such as privileged communications between patients and doctors are put in place in health care settings.

Re: voicemail erasure. I don't think Jonah needed to instruct anyone to erase his "dire news" VM. If it wasn't Becky who erased the VM, it had to be Becky's murderer. Why would Becky's murderer erase Jonah's VM? Any number of reasons, depending on who the person is who erased the VM. <modsnip>

Thanks Lash - I'm such a rookie...I knew I read that "son story" from NINA .

This has been hashed over umpteen times, but will put it here again for the record:

July 14, 2011 - Jonah Shacknai interview with Detectives Norton and Palmer
"I called Becky at midnight—last night," Jonah said. " She didn't answer."
He hadn't really been concerned. He figured she could have been asleep, or taking a bath.
[…] He was positive that Becky hadn't been depressed, nor that she evinced any suicidal ideation. "Naturally, she was sad and worried—they* all were—about Max. But Becky was not a woman easily disheartened or given to moods."
(Copyright © 2012 "Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors - Ann Rule's Crime Files

September 2, 2011 - Press Conference: Sgt. Dave Nemeth:
Rebecca received news regarding Max's grave condition at about 10 minutes to one in the morning. She made a decision to take her own life.

Mike Lawton, Commander, Coronado PD
Forward to July 14, Thursday, the day after Rebecca was found. Our investigators received the information from Rady Children's Hospital that Max's condition was worsening. Up until that point the information that we had from the hospital and family was that his condition was stable and that they were optimistic.

September 10, 2011 - Media: Daily Beast by Roy Black
After two days of hopeful reports, Rebecca Zahau for the first time learned in a 12:50 a.m. voicemail message that Max was brain dead, on life support, and his death was inevitable.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...rebecca-zahau-s-death-no-murder.html#comments

November 9, 2011 - Media: Examiner by Joel Siegfried
Nina claimed [during her November 7 New8 interview] they would never bring on additional grief to themselves, especially while Max was struggling for his life, saying nobody had any indication until Thursday, the day after Rebecca's death, that Max would not survive his injuries.
http://www.examiner.com/article/nin...-of-rebecca-zahau-and-her-nephew-max-shacknai

August 7, 2012 - Media: Dr. Drew
PINSKY: And then you -- when he died, you didn`t have any expectation that was going to happen?

[DINA] SHACKNAI: I didn`t. I -- it happened on Friday, the first. He suffered from brain death and on Friday morning, approximately 6:30 in the morning, the EEG went flat and I thought something was wrong with the machine. [...] And it was soon clear that the doctors came in and said, you know, that he was brain dead.
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1208/07/ddhln.01.html

Bottom line:
  • Jonah's midnight Tuesday to Wednesday, he is not concerned; she is not depressed nor suicidal in his opinion.
  • Sept 2 PC states RZ received VM shortly after midnight Tuesday to Wednesday that MS is grave condition.
  • Daily Beast Roy Black article states the 12:50AM VM informed RZ that MS brain dead, off life support and death imminent.
  • Nina states no indication until Thursday that MS would not survive his injuries.
  • Dina states that only on Friday morning did she have any indication he would not survive.

Is it possible someone other than Jonah left that 12:50AM VM, the same person who subsequently erased it? How is it that there are 4 different interpretations as to when MS' dire condition was communicated to the family?

*they - It's just semantics, but IMO rather odd JS stated "they" all were concerned, rather than "we" all..

This has been hashed over umpteen times, but will put it here again for the record:

He hadn't really been concerned. He figured she could have been asleep, or taking a bath.[…] He was positive that Becky hadn't been depressed, nor that she evinced any suicidal ideation. "Naturally, she was sad and worried—they* all were—about Max. But Becky was not a woman easily disheartened or given to moods."

Rebecca received news regarding Max's grave condition at about 10 minutes to one in the morning. She made a decision to take her own life.

Forward to July 14, Thursday, the day after Rebecca was found. Our investigators received the information from Rady Children's Hospital that Max's condition was worsening. Up until that point the information that we had from the hospital and family was that his condition was stable and that they were optimistic.

After two days of hopeful reports, Rebecca Zahau for the first time learned in a 12:50 a.m. voicemail message that Max was brain dead, on life support, and his death was inevitable.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...rebecca-zahau-s-death-no-murder.html#comments

Nina claimed [during her November 7 New8 interview] they would never bring on additional grief to themselves, especially while Max was struggling for his life, saying nobody had any indication until Thursday, the day after Rebecca's death, that Max would not survive his injuries.
http://www.examiner.com/article/nin...-of-rebecca-zahau-and-her-nephew-max-shacknai

PINSKY: And then you -- when he died, you didn`t have any expectation that was going to happen?

[DINA] SHACKNAI: I didn`t. I -- it happened on Friday, the first. He suffered from brain death and on Friday morning, approximately 6:30 in the morning, the EEG went flat and I thought something was wrong with the machine. [...] And it was soon clear that the doctors came in and said, you know, that he was brain dead.

Bottom line:
  • Jonah's midnight Tuesday to Wednesday, he is not concerned; she is not depressed nor suicidal in his opinion.
  • Sept 2 PC states RZ received VM shortly after midnight Tuesday to Wednesday that MS is grave condition.
  • Daily Beast Roy Black article states the 12:50AM VM informed RZ that MS brain dead, off life support and death imminent.
  • Nina states no indication until Thursday that MS would not survive his injuries.
  • Dina states that only on Friday morning did she have any indication he would not survive.
Is it possible someone other than Jonah left that 12:50AM VM, the same person who subsequently erased it? How is it that there are 4 different interpretations as to when MS' dire condition was communicated to the family?

*they - It's just semantics, but IMO rather odd JS stated "they" all were concerned, rather than "we" all..

Hmm, who do we believe? Jonah, law enforcement, Roy Black, Nina, or Dina?

I say we should trust objective evidence such as Max's medical records over any of these people.

I think it's pure B.S. that Dina and Nina would not have known until Thursday or Friday about Max's grim prognosis given the severity of Max's injuries that had already left him braindead and in an artificial respirator since Monday. I think they were in CYA mode after Becky's murder. <modsnip>. Of that I am certain.

Re: VM @Wednesday 12:50am allegedly left by Jonah. Unless Jonah allowed his cellphone to be used by others, I don't see how if his phone records show he made a phonecall to Becky's cellphone that someone other than Jonah left the VM.

Thanks Carioca -

Your concise who/when/where about the specific DAY when MS GRAVE condition changed reminds me of the confusing Abbot and Costello classic baseball skit...Who's on first...What's on second.......fans eventually came to understand the baseball skit and I can only hope that a new SDSO Sheriff will see the importance to clarify this most important aspect of this death case.

DS interview with Dr. Drew Pinsky on national television last summer previously stated," I
never thought MS was not going to walk out of that hospital.I thought that I would maybe need a tutor and he would be able to play on his Blackhawks team and maybe he would sit out a few games until it happened on Friday.....

JMO but I don't believe any physician ever thought MS's condition was at any time any thing other than grave, in other words there was no drastic or any other change in his condition. Nor do I think any physician ever thought he was suffocated. JMO

JMO but I don't believe any physician ever thought MS's condition was at any time any thing other than grave, in other words there was no drastic or any other change in his condition. Nor do I think any physician ever thought he was suffocated. JMO

The Autopsy Report of Max would support your statement. The puzzling part
is why SDSO Sheriff Gore so readily accepted Jonah's hearsay statement about this GRAVE news he was told Tuesday night. After all, it is possible JS left that early Wed. am voice message to RZ to remind her to bring his "fresh" clothes that morning or a specific article of clothing he wanted and the contents of the message changed when he KNEW the message was erased which puts him as an accessory.

I'm really surprised the local SD media haven't "zeroed in" on this crucial part of the investigation given Gore's insistence that this "grave news" phone call was the MOTIVE for RZ's sudden and highly complex suicide.....without that
hearsay JS statement...Gore has NO motive and needs to spend more money on this death investigation with additional thorough Crime Lab testing by Attorney Pfingst's close friend - Director Gary Thompson's crew along with more follow up interviews with person's of interest. There is still no explanation why SDSO detectives didn't request from DS a rescheduled polygraph the next week and the same for AS that polygrapher Paul Redden recommended after the non conclusive first test.

bourne -

I agree and DS was at Rady Hospital with JS the entire Tuesday night so how could JS supposedly know such important GRAVE news and DS not know until 2 1/2 days later?

Here's a possible scenario.....JS received information Tuesday night after 8:00 pm (after he came back to Rady from dinner with RZ and AS) and before 12:30 am Wed. morning (time of his call to RZ). DS was assumed to be present at Rady from Tuesday night 6:00 pm until Wednesday undisclosed time. What if DS wasn't there when JS received the news because it was DS that left at 9:00 pm and borrowed JS's car -not NR and not only did she switch places at Rady with twin sister NR but they SWITCHED cell phones as well thus DS cell would "ping" near Rady when investigators checked phone records. This may also explain why NR was confused about WHEN she text RZ... ATT phone records show 10:41 pm not 9:40 pm as NR claims. There is also a sober adult male witness that had stopped that Tuesday night on his bicycle on a CLEAR Tuesday evening with an unobstructed view of the front porch INSIST the adult female he saw pacing back and forth was DS not NR . Hmm..
Dina and Nina are fraternal twins, and look very different from each other, IMO:
Twins.jpg
[/QUOTE]

He hadn't really been concerned. He figured she could have been asleep, or taking a bath.
[…] He was positive that Becky hadn't been depressed, nor that she evinced any suicidal ideation. "Naturally, she was sad and worried—they* all were—about Max. But Becky was not a woman easily disheartened or given to moods."

Bottom line:

:yourock:

Gilgamesh - thanks for pointing that out....been a problem NINA -DINA as my mind processes thoughts/words. I would like to go back and correct my mistakes (edit) but I don't see the edit button below on that post. Appreciate any help to facilitate my necessary editing duties.

It's also possible that cell phones were switched because DS knew that RZ wouldn't respond to her texts but she might respond to a text coming from Dina's sister, NR.
It is entirely possible that the sisters were at first trying to get more info from RZ and that Dina ended up killing her in a rage. ( possibly alcohol/drug fueled, possibly a crime of rageful, hateful, vengeful passion).
This may not have been pre-meditated. We know that Dina has a violent temper and has committed violence upon her ex-husband, breaking his finger in the past as well as other documented acts of violence against his person.

I strongly disagree that the murder of Becky was not premeditated.

The murder happened within the time frame of Tues night (after 9:30pm) to Wed morning (about 3am). We know this because Becky texted her sisters till about 9:30pm Tues, and her dead body was frozen stiff and displayed lividity by 6am according to records which would mean Becky had been dead for at least several hours prior to 6am.

According to an insider, no stores in Coronado are opened in the middle of the night. So if you think it was a sudden rage killing, where did this non-premeditated murderer(s) get the rope? What about the acrylic paint and paintbrushes? (The knives we can perhaps assume were taken directly from the Spreckels mansion kitchen.)

Nope, for Becky's murder to be unpremeditated, there would only be the use of the murderer(s)' body to commit the crime. E.g, use of hands to strangle. But there were no handprints found around Becky's neck. Why? Either the murderer wore GLOVES or Becky wasn't killed by strangulation but by hanging with rope.

Let's follow this line of reasoning. If Becky was strangled and the murder was unpremeditated, why would the murderer have worn gloves INSIDE the Spreckels mansion in the middle of the night? The murderer would only have worn gloves in order to CONCEAL their prints/DNA from the crime scene. This shouts out that the murder was PREMEDITATED.

Also, the murderer(s) went above and beyond the use of their own body and limbs. They brought a particular type of dense sailing rope, and specific type of paint and paintbrushes that an insider has said were not the kind that Becky used as an amateur artist. So these items were brought in from the OUTSIDE of the Spreckels mansion. Again, if unpremeditated, WHERE in the middle of the night would the murderer(s) get these items? And if they already had these items in their possession when they entered the Spreckels mansion, the question then becomes WHY would they have brought these items into the mansion if they were not intending to commit murder and stage the crime scene?

WHO carries rope, paint, paintbrushes, knives, gloves, etc. in the middle of the night when they are innocently "visiting" another person?

So no, any way you look at it, Becky's murder was PREMEDITATED. The murderer(s) HAD to have brought many if not all of the murder weapon/tools/staging items with them. Remember also that the family of eyewitnesses identified Dina at the Spreckels mansion front door the Tuesday night around the time Becky was murdered AND they also said that they saw Dina carrying a HUGE BLACK BAG.

For some reason I can't find the EDIT option.....so when I refer to SDSO Crime Lab Director his correct name is Greg Thompson....not Gary. Greg formerly worked under his friend Paul Pfingst in the SD DA's office.

I really wonder if nothing absolutely nothing had happened to Max would something have happened eventually to Rebecca anyway? Now that would be very premeditated, but I really wonder where Becky would be with her relationship(s) now if the final straw had not happened, and that final straw was Max. Every now and then this starts eating at me again, and I start to wonder.

I don't think anything would have happened to her if Max didn't die.
Those two cases appear to be connected.

Because DS and NR look very different from each other, the witness on the bike who stated he saw DS pacing back and forth at the Spreckles mansion that Tuesday evening is believable. See photo posted above. :what:

The RZ Death Investigation continues to raise some very serious questions relating to JS paid Attorney Paul Pfingst and his former top employee at the SA DA's office Greg Thompson working as Director of the SDSO Crime Lab. This potential conflict of interest should be thoroughly investigated including phone records,etc. during the timespan of July 13,2011 thru the end of September 2011.

Greg Thompson was in charge of all items seized in the SW as Director of SDSO Crime Lab. Most of us have questioned some of the results that only had RZ's dna and a few with mix but not enough to identify. There wasn't any dna or fingerprints of AS mentioned even though he supposedly cut the rope to get RZ down , took the shirt sleeve GAG out of RZ's mouth.There were countless items not tested and never a full accounting given to the public.

I have just learned by due diligence on updating Greg Thompson that he was recently promoted sometime in 2012 after Sheriff Gore's Press Conference on Sept.2,2011 declaring RZ's suicide. Greg Thompson's new title......Special Advisor to the Sheriff of San Diego County. Hmmm....interesting that the SDSO needed to create such a position and where the cash-strapped department "found" the money for the new position. Anne Bremner often stated earlier in this case...."this just doesn't pass the smell test." Well, add another.

Greg Thompson also had time in the last few years to recently release a new book....Crime Control Strategy.

For some reason I can't find the EDIT option.....so when I refer to SDSO Crime Lab Director his correct name is Greg Thompson....not Gary. Greg formerly worked under his friend Paul Pfingst in the SD DA's office.
Serpico, you'll only see the "edit" button for a few minutes after you make a post (IIRC, it's 5 minutes). After that, you need to have a moderator do any edits for you. You can signal a mod by clicking on the "!" in the top right corner of any post.

And, I agree with you about the Pfingst/Gore/Thompson trio, raising questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member