PDA

View Full Version : Quadruple Murder Near Pampa, TX

vanillasky
10-02-2005, 02:23 AM
Full story: http://www.amarillo.com/stories/100105/new_2915631.shtml

Use http://www.bugmenot.com for a username/password if prompted to register.

Gray County Sheriff's Office deputies and other law enforcement agencies are investigating the deaths of three people found early Friday in their rural home.
Sheriff Don Copeland said the victims - a man, woman and 14-year-old boy - died of gunshot wounds. All three were members of the same family, Copeland said.

Copeland declined to release the names of the family members.

There was no missing vehicle from the home, and no suspect has been identified in the killings, Copeland said.

"But we are going to be looking feverishly," Copeland said.

A 10-year-old girl called 911 about the slaying at 6:13 a.m., and law enforcement officers converged on the single-family home about 14 miles south of Pampa on Texas Highway 70.

The girl is now with relatives, Copeland said.

Copeland said he did not know the caliber of the bullets used or how many times the victims had been shot.

Joe Martinez, Gray County justice of the peace, said he ordered three autopsies to be performed on the shooting victims. Martinez said the female victim appeared to be pregnant.

mysteriew
10-02-2005, 02:36 AM
That poor 10 yr old. I hope she didn't see what happened. It is going to be so hard for her anyway. Any news about if this was homicide or homicide/suicide? It is odd- that time of the am, the girl makes the call to LE. And she is the only one living.

vanillasky
10-02-2005, 03:16 AM
IMO, the article implied that it was homicide - but those are definitely unusual circumstances - and like you noticed - the time the little girl called for help, and why would they have only left her unless they just didn't realize she was in the house?

The Texas Rangers, Department of Public of Safety crime scene officials, Pampa Police and Hoover Volunteer Fire Department were assisting in the investigation, Copeland said. The Amarillo Police Department Traffic Investigation Unit also was at the scene.

Bobbisangel
10-02-2005, 04:01 AM
When I started reading this it reminded me of the Shasta, Dillon, and their family. Thank God the little girl wasn't harmed. That is a puzzle isn't it. I'm glad that she is alright. Now she has to try and survive mentally and emotionally. Probably another darned boyfriend that decided to wipe out an entire family for his own selfish reasons.

I hope the little girl has someone who will show her a lot of love throughout her lifetime. She is going to need it.

vanillasky
10-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Updated article... very bizarre, I hope they get a lead soon. :(

Full Story: http://www.amarillo.com/stories/100205/new_2926605.shtml

PAMPA - Few in this town can understand the tragedy. Some are still in fear of it happening again.

But many say the slaying of three members of a family found dead Friday morning in their rural Gray County home near Pampa should never have happened here.

"It is too close to home," said Will Daniel, who lives near where the killings occurred. "This stuff ain't supposed to happen in your community."

Brian Conrad, 31, his wife, Michell Conrad, 35, and her 14-year-old son Zach Doan were found shot to death in their home on Texas Highway 70 about 14 miles south of Pampa, said Trooper Daniel Hawthorne of Texas Department of Public Safety. Michell Conrad was about six months pregnant when she was killed.

Michell Conrad's 10-year-old daughter called 911 about 7:15 a.m. Friday to report the shooting.

Gray County Sheriff officials said there was no missing vehicle from the home, and no suspect has been identified in the killings. All the victims bodies were sent to Lubbock for autopsies.

Investigators don't have a motive for the killings and do not consider the slayings a murder-suicide, Hawthorne said.

"That is something (investigators) are not looking at," Hawthorne said.

Very isolated home:
http://www.amarillo.com/images/100205/34191_512.jpg

Brian Conrad:
http://www.amarillo.com/images/100205/34146_512.jpg

Michell Conrad:
http://www.amarillo.com/images/100205/34183_512.jpg

Zach Doan:
http://www.amarillo.com/images/100205/34213_512.jpg

vanillasky
10-03-2005, 03:06 PM
FULL STORY, no registration required: http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/3379318

PAMPA Authorities have made no arrests in the mysterious shooting deaths of a Panhandle farmer, his pregnant wife and her teenage son, a Texas Department of Safety trooper said Sunday.

Brian Conrad, 31, his wife Michell, 35, and her 14-year-old son Zach Doan were found dead in their home on Texas 70 early Friday in rural Gray County.

"No items were taken that the investigators are aware of, and there's no indication of a robbery," Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Daniel Hawthorne told The Associated Press.

Michell Conrad's 10-year-old daughter called 911 about 7:15 a.m. Friday to report the shooting, the Amarillo Globe-News reported in Sunday editions.

Hawthorne declined to answer questions about the 10-year-old, citing concern for her safety. He said she is not suspected in the shooting.

vanillasky
10-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Full story: http://www.amarillo.com/stories/100405/new_2936740.shtml

Ricky Martin eased back in his chair Monday morning, twirled a precious baseball between his fingers and pondered three friends whose lives were tragically cut short last week.

Homicide investigators, meanwhile, were working several leads Monday in Friday's shooting deaths of 31-year-old Brian Conrad, wife Michell, 35, her 14-year-old son, Zach Doan, and the couple's unborn baby.

The victims were found shot to death Friday in their rural farmhouse on Texas Highway 70 about 14 miles south of Pampa. Michell Conrad's 10-year-old daughter called 911 about 7:15 a.m. Friday to report the shooting.

Martin, a family friend who had once worked with the Conrads at the Gray-Roberts County Farm Bureau, said he often played catch with young Zach and gave him some tips on the finer points of hitting. A few months back, Zach stopped by and gave him a shiny new baseball. On the side, Zach scribbled some of Martin's best hitting advice.

"I helped Zach a lot in baseball," Martin said. "He brought this ball into me a couple of months ago. Of course, it's priceless now. It means a ton to me."

Texas Department of Public Safety Trooper Daniel Hawthorne said no suspects have been arrested and that investigators largely are keeping mum about the progress of their investigation.

Hawthorne said he could not answer questions about possible motives behind the slaying. Texas Rangers, he said, also will not reveal whether the 10-year-old girl was inside the family's home during the shootings.

vanillasky
10-08-2005, 04:13 PM
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/100805/new_2966793.shtml

Pampa/Gray County Crime Stoppers is offering a $16,120 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction in connection with the recent slaying of four family members.

Authorities are looking for information in the Sept. 30 shooting deaths of 31-year-old Brian Conrad, wife Michell, 35, her 14-year-old son, Zach Doan, and the couple's unborn baby.

The reward money is provided by law enforcement officials, the victims' family and Pampa-based Team Amber Alert.

txsvicki
10-09-2005, 04:03 AM
I doubt if there is any connection since nothing was taken from the scene, but LE was looking for a man near Lubbock last week. I don't know if he was ever caught but he broke into a home west of here, raped the wife, overpowered the husband, and then stole their pickup. Hope they find out what happened soon. This family sounds like so many people in this part of the country who live in rural areas and have good decent lives.

ToddinPampa
10-10-2005, 07:08 PM
I live in the area and have learned quite a bit about this case. Pretty much everyone around here knows who committed this crime. It's a drug dealer named Barney Sawyer. He's been guilty of numerous crimes in this area, including (allegedly) the disappearance of a young woman named Monica Appleton. But he always gets off scott free because of alleged connections with Pampa officials. This is a corrupt little town, as evidenced by the case of district attorney Rick Roach. He was elected on a "tough on drugs" stance, and then re-elected despite never prosecuting any cases. The feds finally brought him down with the help of one of his assistants, for rampant meth use, using drug seizures for his own purposes, etc. This is the kind of place where I live.

Anyway, Barney Sawyer allegedly is behind this because Brian Conrad told him he didn't want drugs around his family (there is a meth house just down the road from the Conrad home). He told Sawyer he was going to go to the authorities. Sawyer said if you do that, I will kill your family. You know the rest of the story.

Don't be surprised if there's never an arrest in this case. But if there is, remember the name Barney Sawyer and where you heard it first.

Barney -- your time is coming.

mysteriew
10-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Nice post ToddinPampa. Very intriguing info.
Here is the Monica Appleton thread.
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23533&highlight=Monica+Appleton

vanillasky
10-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Wow, ToddInPampa - that sounds very likely. Thank you for sharing that information. That is horrifying. :( Any theories in town on why the daughter was spared?

And Monica Appleton too... :(

I've heard lots about Rick Roach too... he's bad news in the worst way.

Some additional info on him:

http://amarillo.com/stories/011305/new_1020808.shtml

The suit alleges one of Roach's employees saw him in possession of methamphetamine at the office in the courthouse and saw him inject a substance, which he said was meth, at an apartment owned by the district attorney's office.

ToddinPampa
10-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Any theories in town on why the daughter was spared? Well, they didn't "spare" her. They came into her room, fired shots at her just as they did her brother. But in her case, they missed. She played dead for over an hour, heard them rummaging around in the fridge and whatnot, and after she was sure they were gone, she got up and called 911.

They clearly did not intend for anyone in the house to be left alive. They even shot the dog.

vanillasky
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Wow. :( I hadn't heard that. Thank you for clarifying about the daughter. IMO, whoever is responsible for this doesn't deserve to live for another minute. That poor child - I can't even begin to imagine what she went through and will have to go through for the rest of her life.

ToddinPampa
10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
Her dad rushed over early that morning. Obviously in these cases you look hard at the ex-spouse, but in this case he had nothing to do with it. Glad she still has a parent to raise her.

Another thing -- her step-mom who was killed, Michell, was 4 months' pregnant. So it's being called a quadruple homicide, not a triple.

Michell had just been to the doctor and had an amnio -- they were informed that the baby had spina bifida.

vanillasky
10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Yes... that is a blessing that she still has her dad. Also, I'm asking a moderator to change the title of this thread to a quadruple homicide - I wasn't sure at the time when I started the thread since the article said it just appeared that a victim was pregnant. Do they think this guy acted alone at the house, or did he have help?

SewingDeb
10-10-2005, 09:37 PM
I live in the area and have learned quite a bit about this case. Pretty much everyone around here knows who committed this crime. It's a drug dealer named Barney Sawyer. He's been guilty of numerous crimes in this area, including (allegedly) the disappearance of a young woman named Monica Appleton. But he always gets off scott free because of alleged connections with Pampa officials. This is a corrupt little town, as evidenced by the case of district attorney Rick Roach. He was elected on a "tough on drugs" stance, and then re-elected despite never prosecuting any cases. The feds finally brought him down with the help of one of his assistants, for rampant meth use, using drug seizures for his own purposes, etc. This is the kind of place where I live.

Anyway, Barney Sawyer allegedly is behind this because Brian Conrad told him he didn't want drugs around his family (there is a meth house just down the road from the Conrad home). He told Sawyer he was going to go to the authorities. Sawyer said if you do that, I will kill your family. You know the rest of the story.

Don't be surprised if there's never an arrest in this case. But if there is, remember the name Barney Sawyer and where you heard it first.

Very interesting. Thank you for the local view. It is often right on the money.

ToddinPampa
10-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Do they think this guy acted alone at the house, or did he have help?What I heard was that he hired it done, but that he was on the scene. Whether there was more than one shooter, I don't know.

SewingDeb
10-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Well, they didn't "spare" her. They came into her room, fired shots at her just as they did her brother. But in her case, they missed. She played dead for over an hour, heard them rummaging around in the fridge and whatnot, and after she was sure they were gone, she got up and called 911.

They clearly did not intend for anyone in the house to be left alive. They even shot the dog.

OMG! She was smart to do that and very lucky they didn't check closely to make sure she was dead.

SewingDeb
10-10-2005, 09:39 PM
Well, they didn't "spare" her. They came into her room, fired shots at her just as they did her brother. But in her case, they missed. She played dead for over an hour, heard them rummaging around in the fridge and whatnot, and after she was sure they were gone, she got up and called 911.

How high up does the corruption go? Could you give your tips to the state investigative team and get any results? Anonymously of course.

ToddinPampa
10-10-2005, 09:42 PM
How high up does the corruption go? Could you give your tips to the state investigative team and get any results? Anonymously of course.The Texas Rangers are already aware. They're leading the investigation and usually do a good job where Pampa crime is concerned. The radio station last night leaked that Sawyer had been arrested, but I think they got hold of that before it was ready to be released. As of tonight there's still no announcement, but keep your fingers crossed that they're just making sure all their t's are crossed before issuing formal charges.

vanillasky
10-10-2005, 09:46 PM
I certainly hope so, and that he is punished severely along with anyone else involved. He / They deserve nothing less than death. :furious:

SewingDeb
10-10-2005, 09:51 PM
The Texas Rangers are already aware. They're leading the investigation and usually do a good job where Pampa crime is concerned. The radio station last night leaked that Sawyer had been arrested, but I think they got hold of that before it was ready to be released. As of tonight there's still no announcement, but keep your fingers crossed that they're just making sure all their t's are crossed before issuing formal charges.

Oh, I hope so. I hate to see criminals get away with anything and everything because the local officials are corrupt.

vanillasky
10-11-2005, 07:40 PM
ToddInPampa,

Any updates today? I've been checking online daily, but there's rarely an update. :(

ToddinPampa
10-12-2005, 01:09 PM
ToddInPampa,

Any updates today? I've been checking online daily, but there's rarely an update. :(
Not really. In the past few days, the FBI has taken more of a role in investigating the case. That's all I know at this point. I'll be having lunch in a few with some folks in the know, so I may have an update this afternoon.

jannuncutt
10-12-2005, 01:51 PM
This is so very sad......and so chilling!

vanillasky
10-12-2005, 02:21 PM
Not really. In the past few days, the FBI has taken more of a role in investigating the case. That's all I know at this point. I'll be having lunch in a few with some folks in the know, so I may have an update this afternoon.

Thank you, the updates are appreciated very much! This case has been weighing on my mind every day. :(

ToddinPampa
10-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Well, no new updates. But someone who is attending a big training session today on meth use really educated me at lunch on the seriousness of the problem. (You'll recall from an earlier post that there is a meth connection in these murders)

The prevalence of meth in society now is staggering, and I didn't realize it. It's very easy to cook your own meth.
So a lot of people are getting into it who might normally never go there if they had to depend on a dealer. Meth brings on its own kind of insanity people become incredibly deviant sexually as well as violently aggressive. I think a lot of the more heinous crimes that we see reported on this website probably have meth involved.

This training session today hundreds and hundreds of people there, including not just law enforcement but schoolteachers and pastors. Its a tragedy happening before our very eyes, yet Im not hearing about it on the news.

NewMom2003
10-12-2005, 04:04 PM
This is so horrible and unnecessary. :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: Thank God the little girl was saved.

txsvicki
10-13-2005, 12:27 AM
Well, no new updates. But someone who is attending a big training session today on meth use really educated me at lunch on the seriousness of the problem. (You'll recall from an earlier post that there is a meth connection in these murders)

The prevalence of meth in society now is staggering, and I didn't realize it. It's very easy to cook your own meth.
So a lot of people are getting into it who might normally never go there if they had to depend on a dealer. Meth brings on its own kind of insanity – people become incredibly deviant sexually as well as violently aggressive. I think a lot of the more heinous crimes that we see reported on this website probably have meth involved.

This training session today – hundreds and hundreds of people there, including not just law enforcement but schoolteachers and pastors. It’s a tragedy happening before our very eyes, yet I’m not hearing about it on the news.

People are selling drugs down the street from me, probably meth since they are white people, according to the cops. I'm really afraid now, and will probably quit giving them dirty looks. One of my neighbors is after them to get this stopped and I hope that nothing happens. I can't afford to move right now.

mysteriew
10-13-2005, 12:42 AM
Prosecutors revealed Wednesday that a woman accused of dismembering her husband recently sent them a package containing his wedding ring and keys in an attempt to frame one of the victim's sisters.

"This is a sign of defendant disintegrating," Assistant Attorney General Patricia Prezioso told a state judge as she requested he increase Melanie McGuire's bail to $3 million.

Prezioso said the higher bail was warranted in light of new details, including an indictment handed up Tuesday and made public Wednesday that charged McGuire with murder, desecration of a corpse, perjury and a weapons violation.

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-17/112912734113612.xml&storylist=jersey

IslandGirl
10-13-2005, 02:13 AM
I hope they get more justice in this case than in so many more meth-related crimes in small towns in Texas that just seem to get "swept under the rug". I've been following the Steven Jones case on FFJ, and there seems to be no real closure in that one--same scenario. Corrupt officials, meth related violence. That is the worst drug to plague our society. It makes folks just plain mean, and even psychotic. It's amazing the damage that is NOT published, the family abuse and such, that goes on with Meth involvement. ToddNP, it's really quite logical, what you said. It's not right, nor was the action of the killer(s) logical, of course, just the explanation was.

ToddinPampa
10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
People are selling drugs down the street from me, probably meth since they are white people, according to the cops. I'm really afraid now, and will probably quit giving them dirty looks. One of my neighbors is after them to get this stopped and I hope that nothing happens. I can't afford to move right now.Vicki, I'd encourage you to tell your neighbor
not to confront those people. People involved in meth are not to be trifled with. Tell your neighbor the story of this family. The biggest mistake the man made was giving the drug dealer an ultimatum, If you dont stop what youre doing, Im going to the police. Its fine to go to the police just dont tip off the dealer! They cant be reasoned or negotiated with. The biggest mistake that people make is when they get confrontational like the man the other day who yelled at a passing car from his yard, telling them to slow down. He did this with his 3-yr-old son at his side. They rolled down the window and shot his son. But people think they can be heroes and that theyll be bullet-proof, all the while putting themselves and their loved ones in jeopardy.

jannuncutt
10-13-2005, 11:52 AM
People are selling drugs down the street from me, probably meth since they are white people, according to the cops. I'm really afraid now, and will probably quit giving them dirty looks. One of my neighbors is after them to get this stopped and I hope that nothing happens. I can't afford to move right now. .............so, ummmm, are the police going to arrest the white people who are selling meth? (sorry I couldn't resist).

ToddinPampa
10-14-2005, 12:28 PM
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/101305/new_3003388.shtml

This is a new article, although it's misleading. I have written the reporter and taken him to task over the headline. Anxieties have NOT eased in Pampa. If a multiple homicide happened in YOUR little town, and 2 weeks later there were no arrests and still not a shred of information, would YOU be less anxious?

I told the reporter the name of the guy who did this. I encouraged him to grow a pair and actually try some investigative journalism for a change.

jannuncutt
10-14-2005, 01:56 PM
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/101305/new_3003388.shtml

This is a new article, although it's misleading. I have written the reporter and taken him to task over the headline. Anxieties have NOT eased in Pampa. If a multiple homicide happened in YOUR little town, and 2 weeks later there were no arrests and still not a shred of information, would YOU be less anxious?

I told the reporter the name of the guy who did this. I encouraged him to grow a pair and actually try some investigative journalism for a change.
Todd, I have been following this case over the internet. From what I read yesterday, it seemed like a lot of the town people were afraid to talk about the case. It sounded, to me, like there are a lot of rumors that people are fearful of addressing. Am I correct?

ToddinPampa
10-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Todd, I have been following this case over the internet. From what I read yesterday, it seemed like a lot of the town people were afraid to talk about the case. It sounded, to me, like there are a lot of rumors that people are fearful of addressing. Am I correct? Jannuncutt, you are correct. If you'll go back through my posts in this thread, I basically lay out who did it and why. And even before the murders happened, it was a known thing in Pampa that you didn't even say Barney Sawyer's name -- if you did, you had a big bullseye on your back.

Even today, he's calling up the local domestic violence victim center in Pampa asking for the address of one of their clients so he can get some of her personal belongings back to her. How stupid is he, to think that they'd give out someone's address who is a victim of his?

tezi
10-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Jannuncutt, you are correct. If you'll go back through my posts in this thread, I basically lay out who did it and why. And even before the murders happened, it was a known thing in Pampa that you didn't even say Barney Sawyer's name -- if you did, you had a big bullseye on your back.

Even today, he's calling up the local domestic violence victim center in Pampa asking for the address of one of their clients so he can get some of her personal belongings back to her. How stupid is he, to think that they'd give out someone's address who is a victim of his?
He's obviously not too bright.

Todd, I live in a small town in AR. I know the meth problem here is terrible. I walked over to my BIL's house about six weeks ago and walked right into a drug bust. The DEA had their guns out and everything. Scared the chit right out of me. I guess I didn't need to borrow a bottle of gatorade right then. They arrested 13 people in one small trailer that morning. These people made it obvious what they were doing. One night I counted 35 different cars going to that trailer. Needless to say, my kids are not allowed to go on that street!

There's corrupt officials here too. It was swept under the rug that one of the lead prosecutors on the drug task force was found with meth. He still has his job....Something is very wrong with this picture.

Please keep us updated. This is an interesting case.

jannuncutt
10-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Jannuncutt, you are correct. If you'll go back through my posts in this thread, I basically lay out who did it and why. And even before the murders happened, it was a known thing in Pampa that you didn't even say Barney Sawyer's name -- if you did, you had a big bullseye on your back.

Todd - isn't it possible that you are putting your life in danger?

ToddinPampa
10-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Todd - isn't it possible that you are putting your life in danger?Only if Im dumb enough to leave a trail for him to track me down. And Im not that dumb.

fran
10-14-2005, 05:48 PM
Only if Im dumb enough to leave a trail for him to track me down. And Im not that dumb.

Just the same, ToddinPampa, be careful, please. :(

fran

concernedperson
10-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Only if Im dumb enough to leave a trail for him to track me down. And Im not that dumb.

Do not underestimate someone who has these types of issues. Being the smartest person in the world won't save you against these people and after you are dead, then they can claim other mental illnesses. Tie up the courts for centuries and cause the taxpayers lots of hardships. So, do yourself and us some good and proceed with caution. Make it thoughtfull and accurate as best you can.

txsvicki
10-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Vicki, I'd encourage you to tell your neighbor
not to confront those people. People involved in meth are not to be trifled with. Tell your neighbor the story of this family. The biggest mistake the man made was giving the drug dealer an ultimatum, “If you don’t stop what you’re doing, I’m going to the police.” It’s fine to go to the police – just don’t tip off the dealer! They can’t be reasoned or negotiated with. The biggest mistake that people make is when they get confrontational – like the man the other day who yelled at a passing car from his yard, telling them to slow down. He did this with his 3-yr-old son at his side. They rolled down the window and shot his son. But people think they can be heroes and that they’ll be bullet-proof, all the while putting themselves and their loved ones in jeopardy.

Thanks. I was going over to tell her about this story and before I could, she told me that the gal living at the house was arrested for drugs. I don't think that they are suspicious that this neighbor or myself may be doing anything. My neighbor plays dumb with them, and they don't even know me, or notice me hopefully. I've just given a few of those guys dirty looks when they were out in the yard and looking at me. Jan, lol, I think the police officer was trying to figure out which drug they might be selling. He said white people usually do meth and share it with each other in a group. They are hard to catch. The others that deal in crack are not usually white and are easier to catch I suppose. We already had a young man from this neighborhood killed and I heard that it was about drugs. It's nothing to fool around with. Todd, do you know what has happened to the banditos and their activity in this part of texas? I wonder if they are still so bad and feared by all. I've never seen any of them around my neighborhood, but always heard to NOT mess with them at all.

ToddinPampa
10-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Todd, do you know what has happened to the banditos and their activity in this part of texas? I wonder if they are still so bad and feared by all. I've never seen any of them around my neighborhood, but always heard to NOT mess with them at all.No, can't say that I do. I can just state the general observation that in the Texas Panhandle, the majority of murders are drug-related in some way.

Earlier I talked about some of the corruption in this area. Here is an article from the spring, after DA Rick Roach was arrested. It gives a lot of background on how corrupt he was, and how long it took for them to put him away.

http://www.solutionsfortexas.info/id293.html

(Update to that article --
Roach plea-bargained on the federal charges. All charges but one were dropped in return for the guilty plea, which resulted in a 5-year sentence. He is current serving that federal sentence and awaits trial on state charges. A hearing on pre-trial motions in that case is set for the next week.)

jannuncutt
10-17-2005, 11:57 AM
Todd - Do you know if Barney Sawyer has been brought in for questioning?

ToddinPampa
10-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Todd - Do you know if Barney Sawyer has been brought in for questioning?My sources say that he has. In fact, he spent so much time being questioned that a local radio station got the facts wrong and reported that he had been arrested.

But he's still walking around a free man and trying to harrass old girlfriends. Hopefully it's because he's worried they're going to turn state's evidence.

txsvicki
10-17-2005, 11:39 PM
No, can't say that I do. I can just state the general observation that in the Texas Panhandle, the majority of murders are drug-related in some way.

Earlier I talked about some of the corruption in this area. Here is an article from the spring, after DA Rick Roach was arrested. It gives a lot of background on how corrupt he was, and how long it took for them to put him away.

http://www.solutionsfortexas.info/id293.html

(Update to that article --
Roach plea-bargained on the federal charges. All charges but one were dropped in return for the guilty plea, which resulted in a 5-year sentence. He is current serving that federal sentence and awaits trial on state charges. A hearing on pre-trial motions in that case is set for the next week.)

Well, I guess having child pornography and sex toys in the trunk of the car is just fine if you're an attorney. What a bunch of losers, including that man's wife.

ToddinPampa
10-18-2005, 10:34 AM
What a bunch of losers, including that man's wife. Vicki, I'm curious -- what did you mean by that statement concerning Roach's wife?

Additionally, here's a more updated article (Oct. 14) on the murder investigation.http://www.caller.com/ccct/cda/article_print/0,1983,CCCT_876_4160953_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

txsvicki
10-18-2005, 11:08 PM
Vicki, I'm curious -- what did you mean by that statement concerning Roach's wife?

Additionally, here's a more updated article (Oct. 14) on the murder investigation.http://www.caller.com/ccct/cda/article_print/0,1983,CCCT_876_4160953_ARTICLE-DETAIL-PRINT,00.html

According to the above linked article, she seems to only be concerned with money and claims to have practically received no support or income from him even though they were married for 25 years. That's plenty of time to get away from someone who was known to be horrible, drug addicted, and no telling what else. She must have been the only one who didn't know. He does all this to her, but she now files for divorce after he is caught and reprimanded somewhat.

ToddinPampa
10-19-2005, 10:08 AM
According to the above linked article, she seems to only be concerned with money and claims to have practically received no support or income from him even though they were married for 25 years. That's plenty of time to get away from someone who was known to be horrible, drug addicted, and no telling what else. She must have been the only one who didn't know. He does all this to her, but she now files for divorce after he is caught and reprimanded somewhat.
Vicki,

I wouldn't read too much into a few quotes in one article. I know Cindy, and she's the real victim in all this. Like many, many wives, she probably let her husband "run things" for way too long as she concentrated on raising their kids. She's been devastated by this and it's all she can do just to get up in the morning. She really needs our good thoughts and prayers.

A note on it seeming to be about the money -- just a few months ago she discovered that Rick Roach along with his parents had conspired to have some of his illegal seizure money stashed away in a trust for his kids. She reported him for it, not wanting her kids to have any part of tainted funds. As a result, it was determined that he had lied under oath about his assets, and now he faces an additional felony perjury charge. If Cindy really cared about the money, she wouldn't have gotten involved in that. She's working at a bank making little more than minimum wage, just trying to survive.

The adage "don't judge someone til you've walked a mile in their shoes" applies here.

txsvicki
10-21-2005, 03:11 AM
Vicki,

I wouldn't read too much into a few quotes in one article. I know Cindy, and she's the real victim in all this. Like many, many wives, she probably let her husband "run things" for way too long as she concentrated on raising their kids. She's been devastated by this and it's all she can do just to get up in the morning. She really needs our good thoughts and prayers.

A note on it seeming to be about the money -- just a few months ago she discovered that Rick Roach along with his parents had conspired to have some of his illegal seizure money stashed away in a trust for his kids. She reported him for it, not wanting her kids to have any part of tainted funds. As a result, it was determined that he had lied under oath about his assets, and now he faces an additional felony perjury charge. If Cindy really cared about the money, she wouldn't have gotten involved in that. She's working at a bank making little more than minimum wage, just trying to survive.

The adage "don't judge someone til you've walked a mile in their shoes" applies here.

Yes, true. I am probably too critical but if she's a CPA I wonder why she doesn't just get away from that place and try to get a better job. Maybe try and start over. Sounds like she may have been used since the article mentioned her family's standing in the community. I really think that women are wrong to stay with drunks or dopers and expose their children to bad things but she could have even been afraid of him. Hopefully that little town will be cleaned up, this guy will get his due punishment, and that the murderer of that family will be brought to justice.

Felix3000
10-21-2005, 04:05 AM
I followed the story from very far away. I live in europe and I am connected to this family. I was really shocked about the situation some of you described. I could not imagine that there is this high level of corruption and drug abuse in a rural community. Now it seems that this case in NOT connected to these things.
There are reports that the authorities are investigating against a 23 year old Levi King. He is also suspected to kill two other people on Sept. 29th.

http://www.kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=4008265&nav=3w6y

I see this case from very far away. I never was in that region (I hope I will in future). So I can not say anything about this being a hot lead, or just a scapegoat, for a incompetent and corrupt police.
What I see is that somebody ruined the live of two families, and by this of course his own. In my country it is very hard to get any weapons. Everybody who wants a weapon has to make a psychological test if he is able to deal with this. Weapons have to be closed away, so that they can not be taken by others. I think this case is a perfect example what can happen, if you have no law against weapons in private households.
The weapons couldnt protect Conrad and his family. Conrad and the other family could still live if people like King would have no access to weapons.

This was a horrible crime. It seems they found the murder. I hope King gets his sentence. I hope this will not be the death penalty. This wont make the victims alive again. Revenge is no solution.

I pray for the victims.
Somebody concerned.

p.s. Sorry my english is not the best.

mic730
10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
King linked to Texas murders

By John Ford / Daily News Associate Editor
PINEVILLE A McDonald County man released from prison after serving two years of a 14-year sentence and suspected of killing a Pineville man and his daughter-in-law is now a suspect in four more murders in Texas.

Levi King, 23, is currently being held without bond in the McDonald County Jail, accused in the murders of 70-year-old Orlie McCool and his daughter-in-law, 47-year-old Dawn Burr McCool.

Now, King has been accused in the shooting deaths of a rural Gray County, Texas family: Brian Conrad, 31; his pregnant 35-year-old wife Michell Conrad; and her 14-year-old son, Zach Doan. According to the Texas Department of Public Safety, since Mrs. Conrad was six months pregnant, her fetus is considered to be a fourth victim.
http://www.neoshodailynews.com/articles/2005/10/21/news/news09.txt

mysteriew
10-21-2005, 11:20 PM

So, is there any kniown connection between Sawyer and King?

mysteriew
10-22-2005, 12:34 AM
A Missouri investigation has caught the interest of Texas authorities trying to solve the slayings of three people in rural Pampa.
Texas Rangers and the Gray County Sheriff's Department received information Wednesday morning possibly linking a suspect in custody in McDonald County, Mo., with the killing of Brian Conrad, 31, his wife Michell Conrad, 35, and her 14-year-old son Zach Doan in Pampa, said Trooper Daniel Hawthorne of the Texas Department of Public Safety.

After authorities got King, 23, back to Missouri to face two murder charges there, they obtained information that might link him to the Gray County deaths, said McDonald County Deputy Don Ruby.

In Missouri, King is accused of killing Orlie and Dawn McCool. He is also charged with stealing three handguns from his father's home. He remains in McDonald County Jail without bond, and Geeding has said he will seek the death penalty, according to the McDonald County Press.

The McCools' bodies were found by a relative in the couple's rural Pineville, Mo., home on Sept. 30, the same day that authorities found the three bodies in Pampa.
http://www.amarillo.com/stories/102005/new_3050885.shtml

Authorities are investigating whether there is link between a man charged in a double homicide in Missouri and the slayings of a farmer, his pregnant wife and her teenage son in their rural Texas Panhandle farmhouse.

The bodies of Orlie and Dawn McCool were found by a relative in the couple's rural Pineville, Mo., home on Sept. 30, the same day that authorities in the Texas Panhandle discovered Brian Conrad, 31, wife Michell Conrad, 35, and her 14-year-old son Zach Doan slain in their home south of Pampa. Michell Conrad was six months pregnant with the couple's first child together.

There was no immediate connection apparent between the two murder scenes, which are about 375 miles apart. Geeding declined to say specifically what led Missouri authorities to link the McCools' deaths with the Texas slayings.

"I think there were indications from him," Geeding said.
http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/12944668.htm

A pre-trial conference has been scheduled for a man accused of killing a rural Anderson man and his daughter-in-law earlier this month.

Levi King, 23, will appear before Judge John LePage at 10 a.m. Nov. 2 for a pre-trial conference. King is charged with the shooting deaths of Orlie McCool, 70, and his daughter-in-law, Dawn Burr McCool, 47.
http://www.neoshodailynews.com/articles/2005/10/14/news/news04.txt

The funeral for members of a rural Pampa, Texas, family who were murdered on Sept. 30 was probably the second largest ever held in the Panhandle community of 18,000, according to the church pastor who officiated at the service.

The Rev. Lynn Hancock, pastor of Briarwood Full Gospel Church in Pampa, said in a telephone interview Thursday that about 1,500 people attended the funeral for Brian Conrad, 31; his pregnant wife, Michell Conrad, 35; her unborn child; and her 14-year-old son, Zach Doan.

The family members were shot to death shortly before 7:15 a.m. in their home. Officers in McDonald County believe a Pineville man, Levi King, 23, already accused of killing a rural Pineville man and woman on Sept. 29, may have killed the Texas family as well.
http://www.joplinglobe.com/story.php?story_id=209541&c=87

vanillasky
10-22-2005, 11:42 PM
So, is there any kniown connection between Sawyer and King?

I'm wondering that too.... seems odd that this guy would just choose this family out of the blue.... but it's possible. :(

vanillasky
10-27-2005, 11:50 PM
ToddInPampa,

Have you heard anything else about this case? I haven't seen any updates in the news since 10/22... and I've been checking daily.

vanillasky
10-31-2005, 03:42 PM
Small update......

Full story, no registration requred: http://www.joplinglobe.com/story.php?story_id=210593&c=87

jannuncutt
10-31-2005, 04:09 PM
I'd really like to know Todd's take on this.

vanillasky
02-25-2006, 04:56 PM
PAMPA - Bullets found at the scene of a September triple homicide match a weapon found with the prime suspect, Texas Department of Public Safety officials confirmed this week.

Full story: http://www.amarillo.com/stories/022506/new_4067869.shtml

vanillasky
04-06-2006, 05:36 PM

I just read that Barney Sawyer was killed yesterday morning.

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/040606/new_4384478.shtml

A Pampa man died Wednesday morning after the vehicle he was riding in rolled over near Lefors.

Barney Earl Sawyer, 49, was pronounced dead at the scene about two miles east of Lefors on Farm-to-Market 1312, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.

<< snip >>

The Jaguar then slid sideways in the ditch and rolled over, ejecting Sawyer from the vehicle. He was not wearing a seat belt, the DPS said.

pampa girl
09-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Did you personally know Barney or are you going on what you heard? I have noticed that most people who talk about Barney had never actually met him. I also know that he has two children who miss him dearly and as easily as I found this site they could too. How would you like your children to read something like this about you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If he was so awful why was he never arrested or ever questioned if you want to talk about corrupt get to the real problem our local law enforcement, county attorney and county judge they just make **** up as the go along. may though without sin cast the first stone.

christine2448
09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Todd - isn't it possible that you are putting your life in danger?
That's what I've been thinking!

reb
09-25-2006, 10:45 PM
so let me get this straight... a family tries to stand up to the local methhead drug dealer,, and his enitre family except his daughter (by sheer luck) gets murdered in cold blood, and the guy was still running free going about his dirty business until he just happens to flip himself over in his vehicle. WHERE is the outrage over this?? someone should do an article in time or newsweek about this story & the sad state of affairs in the USA. you try to make a stand for what's right, and it gets you killed,, and no one cares. and we're supposed to be a free country?? yeah, free for criminals maybe!

pampa girl
10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
reb,
you don't even know what you are talking about he didn't flip his self someone else was driving and besides they found the real killer he wasn't even from here he was just passing by. You people floor me. I have always heard never assume it makes and ass out of u and me.

mom3dd
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
from march-06
http://amarillo.com/stories/031106/new_4196744.shtml
snip
Missouri authorities have charged King, 23, with two counts of first-degree murder in the Sept. 29 slayings of Orlie and Dawn McCool in Pineville, Mo. - one day before three members of a family were found dead in their homes near Pampa.

Gray County authorities have named King as a suspect in the Sept. 30 shooting deaths of Brian Conrad, 31, his wife, Michell Conrad, 35, and her son, Zach Doan, 14.

King has not been charged in the Pampa slayings
There are more articles if you put kings name in but from what I have read no motive stated yet

SewingDeb
10-05-2006, 09:51 AM
http://abortionviolence.com/TX.HTM#CITY%20PAMPA

Capital Murder (3 counts), First-Degree Murder (2 counts), Attempted Murder, Second-Degree Arson, Grand Theft Auto, Burglary and Theft

On March 23, 2006, a Gray County, Texas grand jury indicted King on three counts of capital murder. This was shortly after he pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Orlie McCool and Dawn McCool.

Lynn Switzer, Gary County's district attorney, told The Pampa News that she will seek the death penalty against King.

and

In July 2005, King had been released from prison to a halfway house in St. Louis, having served only 17 months of a 14-year sentence for second-degree arson and burglary. On September 23, 2005, King left the halfway house, saying he was going to work, and never returned.

txsvicki
10-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Did you personally know Barney or are you going on what you heard? I have noticed that most people who talk about Barney had never actually met him. I also know that he has two children who miss him dearly and as easily as I found this site they could too. How would you like your children to read something like this about you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If he was so awful why was he never arrested or ever questioned if you want to talk about corrupt get to the real problem our local law enforcement, county attorney and county judge they just make **** up as the go along. may though without sin cast the first stone.

If Sawyer was a drug dealer, then I could care less if his children read any of this. They are better off without him if this is true and I imagine that it is.

pampa girl
10-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Based on known facts? So you personally knew who he was and what he did for a fact!!!!!!!!!!! And his children are better of without him, who are you to decide. That is why this community is so great everyone is guilty until proven innocent. I remember the morning the conrads were killed with in an 1 1/2 of the 911 call the rumors were buzzing at the coffee house saying Doan the ex husband did it. What floors me is how when this community can not find anyone else to blame it on they blame it on Barney. The only reason I wrote in is because he is gone know why can't you people have a little bit of respect for the deceased and the family who is left here mourning