GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not think the appropriate "treatment" for his "affluenza" should be a half a million dollar treatment facility. I would take away all his toys and privileges and send him away to some remote, impoverished village somewhere (to do manual labor and help people that struggle every day to survive) for the next 10 years to learn some compassion and humility.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk 2

Best idea yet! Sentence him to 20 years in the Peace Corps working in Somalia.

Two teens busted for letting Connecticut girl drive drunk
Police said the two boys, both 17, knew Jane Modlesky was 'highly intoxicated' before they let her drive off in the SUV last July. The 17-year-old star lacrosse player for Glastonbury High School crashed a half-mile later and died before emergency workers arrived at the scene.
By Joe Kemp / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, December 6, 2013, 8:32 AM

Five months after a 17-year-old girl died in a Connecticut crash, two teenage boys were arrested for letting her drive drunk, police said.

Cops said the two unidentified boys, both 17, did nothing to stop Jane Modlesky from getting behind the wheel of an SUV before she crashed into a tree in Glastonbury on July 14, according to WFSB-TV....

The star lacrosse player for Glastonbury High School died before emergency workers arrived at the scene.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...k-fatal-crash-article-1.1539646#ixzz2nIzNwtuJ

I guess in Texas letting someone drive off drunk isn't a crime like it is in Connecticut.

Steely, I hope they charge the parents with providing alcohol to minors. They should have to admit their own responsibility for aiding in his actions and his condition before the accident. As you? or somebody said above, they taught him what they know.

Anderson cooper just said the rehab facility's schedule would be cooking classes,martial arts training,riding horses and beach access.

The psychiatrist and facility director make it sound like Ethan Couch is the victim.

The psychiatrist and facility director make it sound like Ethan Couch is the victim.

I'm in a discussion with a woman on a fb group that feels the same way. She thinks putting a child into the jail system is above and beyond what this crime should get, and that everyone who things so are seeking punishment not justice. I'm going to have to step away from the conversation because her reasoning is upsetting me and causing my copd to kick in.

Yea, poor little rich boy is traumatized (presumably because he killed all these people?). I had to roll my eyes when this facility director was talking.

Anderson cooper just said the rehab facility's schedule would be cooking classes,martial arts training,riding horses and beach access.

Sounds like he is getting rewarded,not punished.

Best idea yet! Sentence him to 20 years in the Peace Corps working in Somalia.

I like that idea. I would double it to 40 years.

And judge just reinforced what he learned from his parents by giving him probation. And treatment in some fancy facility. How is he ever going to learn his actions have consequences?

He will probably do it again.

I like that idea. I would double it to 40 years.

He will probably do it again.

He'll be back in the news for more drugs, DUI charges.

Being sent to a an expensive facility is NOT punishment. Send him to jail and force the parents to send an impoverished child/teen that lost a parent to a drunk driver to a nice private school instead.

Being sent to a an expensive facility is NOT punishment. Send him to jail and force the parents to send an impoverished child/teen that lost a parent to a drunk driver to a nice private school instead.

I like that idea.

Oh, cruel world, how will he stand it? :facepalm:

If he gets caught on a drug or DUI charge during the 10 year probation, his gift is automatic 10 years in jail.

Sounds like he is getting rewarded,not punished.

To be fair, taking a cooking class and learning martial arts while riding a horse on the beach does sound challenging.

But on a serious note, in 2007 another 16 year old boy in Texas drove drunk and ended up killing a woman, and ultimately her unborn child. Don't think he suffered from "affluenza", though. I should point out that this case was tried in adult court. This kid received a 20 year sentence.

Jaime Arrellano, of Carthage, pleaded guilty to two counts of intoxicated manslaughter and one charge of intoxicated assault. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison for causing the death of Martha Fidela Mondragon, 31, of Tyler, in the June 23 wreck. Arrellano was also sentenced to 16 years in prison for causing the death of Ms. Mondragon's unborn child and 10 years for injuring 6-year-old Bianca Mondragon.

Judge Cynthia Stevens Kent, of the 114th District Court, also assessed a $5,000 fine and ordered that the sentences run at the same time. Arrellano, who was certified to stand trial as an adult, will be eligible for parole after serving 10 years in prison because Judge Kent found that Arrellano used a deadly weapon - his vehicle - during the offense.

Hmmm....I wonder if the judge would give the same sentence to a 16-year-old boy from an impoverished home charged with the same crime? Maybe his parents don't pay attention to him, no rules because they are too busy working, etc.

FOUR PEOPLE died. FOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep telling myself not to check back in on this thread, but at the same time I am so curious if this will truly "stick". I hope there is tremendous outrage and backlash and this will have to be reconsidered.

Four people. four!

And two kids were in the bed of the pickup when it went airborne. One kid is a para now and the other one had multiple fractures.

So he ended four lives, literally fractured another life, ended any chance for a "normal" life for another and irrevocably changed the lives of the survivors of the decedents and traumatized the two little kids who were sitting in the broken down SUV.

None of that warranted even 1 day in jail?

I think the bench was influenced and justice has been rendered irrelevant.

To be fair, taking a cooking class and learning martial arts while riding a horse on the beach does sound challenging.

But on a serious note, in 2007 another 16 year old boy in Texas drove drunk and ended up killing a woman, and ultimately her unborn child. Don't think he suffered from "affluenza", though. I should point out that this case was tried in adult court. This kid received a 20 year sentence.

Here's another article on the kid who killed the pregnant woman and her baby.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?S=9346818

Officials want you to Pay Attention, East Texas, to reduce rate of auto collisions
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:37 PM EST Updated: Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:24 PM EST

...Martha, who was 8 months pregnant, was on her way home from a family party. She was with her 6 year old daughter Bianca, and was hit by a drunk driver. Bianca was severely injured and immediately flown to Dallas. She was in a coma for days.

"Be able to make it through this terrible accident and then going on to explain it to her and that mom wasn't here anymore," said Corinna.

Bianca is now doing well, but it's been a journey for the whole family. In November, the drunk driver that hit her, 15 year old Jaime Arrellano, was convicted and sentenced to 20 years....

And looky here, 'Affluenza' isn't a recognized diagnosis, experts say

“Affluenza,” the term used by a psychologist to argue that a North Texas teenager from a wealthy family should not be sent to prison for killing four pedestrians while driving drunk, is not a recognized diagnosis and should not be used to justify bad behaviour, psychologists said Thursday.

The term was popularized in the late 1990s by Jessie O’Neill, the granddaughter of a past president of General Motors, when she wrote the book The Golden Ghetto: The Psychology of Affluence. It has since been used to describe a condition in which children — generally from richer families — have a sense of entitlement, are irresponsible, make excuses for poor behaviour, and sometimes dabble in drugs and alcohol, explained Dr. Gary Buffone, a Jacksonville, Fla., psychologist who does family wealth advising.

Here's another article on the kid who killed the pregnant woman and her baby.

http://www.kltv.com/global/story.asp?S=9346818

Officials want you to Pay Attention, East Texas, to reduce rate of auto collisions
Posted: Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:37 PM EST Updated: Thursday, November 13, 2008 7:24 PM EST

...Martha, who was 8 months pregnant, was on her way home from a family party. She was with her 6 year old daughter Bianca, and was hit by a drunk driver. Bianca was severely injured and immediately flown to Dallas. She was in a coma for days.

"Be able to make it through this terrible accident and then going on to explain it to her and that mom wasn't here anymore," said Corinna.

Bianca is now doing well, but it's been a journey for the whole family. In November, the drunk driver that hit her, 15 year old Jaime Arrellano, was convicted and sentenced to 20 years....

Thanks Steely Dan. I looked for more info on the perp but came up empty. The article does a good job reminding folks that there are more victims than just the ones killed out of stupidity.

So this Jaime guy is about the same age, similar offense (drunk driving, killing a woman), also in TX. However he gets tried as an adult and is sentenced to 20 years. Makes me even more curious as to why this judge sentenced the "victim of affluenza" here to probation.
http://www.tdcaa.com/node/1543

Hmmm....I wonder if the judge would give the same sentence to a 16-year-old boy from an impoverished home charged with the same crime? Maybe his parents don't pay attention to him, no rules because they are too busy working, etc.

Somehow I doubt it. You got to have "affluenza."

No, because a child in a poor home is already use to living tough, so he just has to tough it out. He has no gravitas (I think it's called).

He didn't have a chance to be spoiled and the need to continue living that way or his wittle feelings will be hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz