GUILTY CA - Annie Hung 'Kim' Pham, 23, dies from beating outside Santa Ana nightclub

This story becomes more heartbreaking as new details emerge. My deepest condolences to Kim Pham's husband, who has lost his beautiful young wife, in such a senseless, violent way - forever. :rose:

We, as a society, are left to pick up the pieces left behind, in the wake of the actions of the few who have chosen to take it upon themselves to destroy others this way. It is my own opinion that we must become the change we wish to see. I share in Kim's outlook on life, that we cannot allow fear to paralyze us, and we must "love like hell."

I am uncertain how to proceed from here at this point, but I know, as a member of both the Vietnamese and Hispanic communities, that I have a duty to partake in this change. Activism begins with self. I am searching within my soul to find a way to bring forth some sort of positivity from this tragedy because Kim's life deserves more than to be remembered for the way in which she was taken from us.

I hope and pray that we will hear that all persons of interest are identified soon. That will be the first step in a very long journey towards healing for this community. Orange County, and many of the communities here in California are filled with many races and ethnicities living side by side, yet the chasm between us deepens each day. This case has the potential to worsen the divide unless we, as a people, choose to make a difference. It is up to us. :twocents:

ANOTHER ARREST IN FATAL BEATING OF CALIF. WOMAN OUTSIDE CLUB
By CRIMESIDER STAFF CBS/AP January 27, 2014, 4: 46 PM

(snip)
Although many younger Vietnamese-Americans are thoroughly Westernized, they could be avoiding police on the advice of their parents or out of respect for their concerns, said Police Commander Tim Vu, the highest-ranking Vietnamese-American law enforcement officer in Orange County.

"People worry that there will be retaliation," Vu told the (LA) Times. "They don't know the court system and are intimidated by it."

Civic leaders are now reaching out to witnesses through the Vietnamese-language media, stressing they will be treated with respect if they come forward and can meet privately with the police chief or even the mayor.

"Their identities will be protected if they wish," said Ken Nguyen, a volunteer who acts as Santa Ana's liaison to the local Vietnamese community. "These are the things we offered the youths, and so far, they are quiet."

A reward for information in the case stands at $11,000.

more@link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/another-arrest-in-fatal-beating-of-california-woman-outside-club/

Although this story was posted six hours ago, I clicked the link hoping it was to report a third arrest. Sadly, we are not there yet. However, I posted the pertinent details, regarding the willingness of LE and civic leaders to reach out to witnesses, offering them protection, as well as the increase in the reward.

I hope the media continues to shine light on this case!

So sad no one is coming forward w/ info...

I'll never understand how one person can kick another in the head.....I just don't get it.

Thank you gitana. I was totally shocked to hear Kim's own friends have not come forward and glad you put it into words here already.

I have been following this closely.

The original impression based on first reports suggested it was a 5 on 1 assault that ended with death by headstomping. Subsequent reports are now giving me the impression it really was a melee type situation with multiple fights out front. If that's what happened and it was just one kick to head, it may be difficult to prosecute. Probably the sort of thing that could be shuffled aside due to lack of evidence if it weren't so high profile.

<modsnip> I am curious about any possible toxicology results from the autopsy.

http://www./1110249/kim-pham-punched-first-friends-avoiding-police-over-nightclub-death/

Hundreds crowd memorial for nightclub victim Kim Pham
By Anh Do

(snip)

Many who gathered at the memorial said they believe they should forgive those responsible for Pham’s death, so that their lives may be less burdened.
Later, gathered at Melrose Abbey Memorial Park & Mortuary in Anahiem, Pham’s husband led the pallbearers as they carried the casket to a room for cremation. Her father walked ahead of the procession, clutching a bouquet of ivory-colored flowers.
“God has called Teresa Annie Kim Pham back to him,” a priest intoned into a microphone, using the woman’s saint name.

Image from LA Times article
[URL=http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/kimi_SFC/media/la-me-ln-nightclub-memorial--20140128-001_zps6dd9658c.jpg.html][/URL]

much more@link
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-nightclub-beating-memorial--20140128,0,4262116.story#axzz2rktKBjlR

Deepest condolences to Kim Pham's husband, father, siblings, extended family, friends ..... She touched many lives in her short time on this earth. :rose:

Second suspect pleads not guilty in nightclub beating
January 28, 2014, 12:06 p.m
By Adolfo Flores

A second woman charged in the fatal beating of a recent college graduate outside a Santa Ana nightclub pleaded not guilty to murder charges Tuesday.
Candace Marie Brito, 27, of Santa Ana faces one felony count of murder in the Jan. 18 beating of 23-year-old Kim Pham. She is being held on $1-million bail.

Embeded @LANow Video
http://www.latimes.com/videogallery/79077455/News/Nightclub-beating-Second-woman-pleads-not-guilty

More@Link:
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-nightclub-suspect-pleads-not-guilty-20140128,0,3376791.story#ixzz2rl0LIqZ4

Hundreds crowd memorial for nightclub victim Kim Pham
By Anh Do

(snip)

Many who gathered at the memorial said they believe they should forgive those responsible for Pham’s death, so that their lives may be less burdened.
Later, gathered at Melrose Abbey Memorial Park & Mortuary in Anahiem, Pham’s husband led the pallbearers as they carried the casket to a room for cremation. Her father walked ahead of the procession, clutching a bouquet of ivory-colored flowers.
“God has called Teresa Annie Kim Pham back to him,” a priest intoned into a microphone, using the woman’s saint name.

Image from LA Times article
http://[URL=http://s1220.photobucke...ial--20140128-001_zps6dd9658c.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

much more@link
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...orial--20140128,0,4262116.story#axzz2rktKBjlR

Deepest condolences to Kim Pham's husband, father, siblings, extended family, friends ..... She touched many lives in her short time on this earth. :rose:

So sad :cry:

My heart goes out to Kim's husband and family.

Ima

I hope and pray that we will hear that all persons of interest are identified soon. That will be the first step in a very long journey towards healing for this community. Orange County, and many of the communities here in California are filled with many races and ethnicities living side by side, yet the chasm between us deepens each day. This case has the potential to worsen the divide unless we, as a people, choose to make a difference. It is up to us. :twocents:

This is all so true. I am a Caucasian living in Westminster, which makes me a minority in the city. My neighbors are predominately Vietnamese, although I would estimate that in our Condo complex of 64 homes there are still probably about 20-25 non-vietnamese households.

We have found that they will never socialize with us or participate in the running of the HOA. Of course with the older generation there is often a language barrier, but not so with the younger ones of course. Yet we still cannot encourage participation. It is sometimes frustrating.

I won't lie, there are many caucasians in the area that deeply resent the Vietnamese. Perhaps they are aware of that, or their parents were, because it used to be way worse. I don't know if that has anything to do with the distrust of the Police though since most of the Westminster PD, like the city government, is Vietnamese. Maybe Santa Ana should try working through the Westminster PD?

It certainly seems to be a culture that has no interest in becoming part of the melting pot. They seem more to want to pretend like they have their own separate Country within the US. The fact that the people involved in this situation have all been born and raised in the US and still won't cooperate in finding their friends killers is disheartening to say the least.

This is all so true. I am a Caucasian living in Westminster, which makes me a minority in the city. My neighbors are predominately Vietnamese, although I would estimate that in our Condo complex of 64 homes there are still probably about 20-25 non-vietnamese households.

We have found that they will never socialize with us or participate in the running of the HOA. Of course with the older generation there is often a language barrier, but not so with the younger ones of course. Yet we still cannot encourage participation. It is sometimes frustrating.

I won't lie, there are many caucasians in the area that deeply resent the Vietnamese. Perhaps they are aware of that, or their parents were, because it used to be way worse. I don't know if that has anything to do with the distrust of the Police though since most of the Westminster PD, like the city government, is Vietnamese. Maybe Santa Ana should try working through the Westminster PD?

It certainly seems to be a culture that has no interest in becoming part of the melting pot. They seem more to want to pretend like they have their own separate Country within the US. The fact that the people involved in this situation have all been born and raised in the US and still won't cooperate in finding their friends killers is disheartening to say the least.

I've seen what you describe firsthand. My mother graduated from CSUF in her early 60s about 10 years ago with a degree in Human Services and a minor in Early Childhood Ed. She lived in Little Saigon at the time. Most of my aunts and uncles still reside there, as do my cousins.

My mother is the firstborn daughter and the maverick, marrying a US Helicopter Pilot / Army Officer and having two children. She always answers "We are American" in response to the sometimes prying, if not rude questions and stares from strangers in the marketplace and at restaurants, etc. Her youngest brother married a Swiss girl while at university several decades ago. My Eurasian cousins are beautiful, and speak multiple languages.

Although all of my extended family benefited greatly from the sponsorship of my father and mother, which allowed them to immigrate here, establish themselves, become homeowners, obtain citizenship, and productive members of society, those in my mom's generation (and mine) chose to compartmentalize themselves, and not assimilate. They shop don't speak English unless they have to. They stay in Little Saigon. Our branch of the family has the only college graduates, and the language barrier plays a huge role in this issue. The elephant in the room in race. It is unspoken and expected to marry within "our culture." Present company excluded, of course. My cousin in Canada pushed the limits recently, because his wife was not Vietnamese, but at least she was Asian. True story.

The next generation, however, are all at university, multi-lingual, and more willing to integrate. They are Kim's age or younger. They have embraced my Mom's views of the world, and I am proud of them for it. It isn't easy for them, though. The resistance of their parents and grandparents is deeply engrained, and it's sad.

I understand the dichotomy. However, it doesn't make it right. Especially when it is used to justify a silence that could perpetuate (in Kim Pham's case) - justice delayed or denied.

:twocents:

(Sorry for the long post.... :heartbeat:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm. I'm not buying the insulated culture excuse. People often accuse a culture of being so insular it cannot assimilate. Every culture does after a generation or two. I know many Vietnamese. My parents worked with tons. Since I was small, they have come to our home for celebrations, dinner, etc., and we have been invited to theirs.

I have observed many Vietnamese second generation young people who are fast friends with Caucasian, black and Hispanic people, without reservation. They don't just hide in little Saigon. Kim herself had many friends who weren't Vietnamese.

Then there's the case of Michelle Le's family. Her siblings and friends went against their older relatives who wanted to stay private and not put pressure on the authorities. They knew justice demanded a different response. They are no different, generationally, than Kim's friends.

Ethnicity is no excuse. This case is not about race. It's about ugliness, evil, apathy and cowardice. Kim's friends owe it to Kim, to her family, to society and to themselves to do what is necessary to make sure Kim's murderers do not walk free. No excuse.

Hmmm. I'm not buying the insulated culture excuse. People often accuse a culture of being so insular it cannot assimilate. Every culture does after a generation or two. I know many Vietnamese. My parents worked with tons. Since I was small, they have come to our home for celebrations, dinner, etc., and we have been invited to theirs.

I have observed many Vietnamese second generation young people who are fast friends with Caucasian, black and Hispanic people, without reservation. They don't just hide in little Saigon. Kim herself had many friends who weren't Vietnamese.

Then there's the case of Michelle Le's family. Her siblings and friends went against their older relatives who wanted to stay private and not put pressure on the authorities. They knew justice demanded a different response. They are no different, generationally, than Kim's friends.

Ethnicity is no excuse. This case is not about race. It's about ugliness, evil, apathy and cowardice. Kim's friends owe it to Kim, to her family, to society and to themselves to do what is necessary to make sure Kim's murderers do not walk free. No excuse.

I agree with you. It pains me to read your words, knowing they apply to members of some of my extended family (not in this exact case per se), who choose to insulate themselves.

I was specific to us as those who immigrated, as adults and children, so technically my post was in reference to 1st generation Vietnamese immigrants, just to be clear.

That being said, they look at my nuclear family, at times in disgust, for our choice to embrace and assimilate. Granted I am truly blended, and have faced racism from both sides of my family, but in the end, my Mom is right, we are Americans FIRST.

If you lived here, you might see that race does play a role, especially from the perspective of a Vietnamese person, much less a Vietnamese and Hispanic person, with family in Little Saigon. Agree to disagree?

ITA, Gitana, there is NO excuse. To place the blame on the repercussions of your elders as a reason to not come forward and do the right thing is not good enough. However, it runs deeper than that. The recent happenings in the OC which Kim wrote about, and I posted up thread, play a part in this as well.

There is an inherent mistrust of LE in this area. However, these people were her FRIENDS! I just can't reconcile their silence. Asians are well-documented as a collectivistic culture, and saving face is HUGE in our society. This goes both ways. I hope the witnesses find it in their hearts to see that coming forward is honoring Kim and our people as a collective. The justice system is contingent upon them doing just that. Kim can't speak for herself. Their silence is deafening.

(My apologies for the caps, I can't bold from my phone, I'm not yelling, I promise :hug: )

I agree with you. It pains me to read your words, knowing they apply to members of some of my extended family (not in this exact case per se), who choose to insulate themselves.

I was specific to us as those who immigrated, as adults and children, so technically my post was in reference to 1st generation Vietnamese immigrants, just to be clear.

That being said, they look at my nuclear family, at times in disgust, for our choice to embrace and assimilate. Granted I am truly blended, and have faced racism from both sides of my family, but in the end, my Mom is right, we are Americans FIRST.

If you lived here, you might see that race does play a role, especially from the perspective of a Vietnamese person, much less a Vietnamese and Hispanic person, with family in Little Saigon. Agree to disagree?

ITA, Gitana, there is NO excuse. To place the blame on the repercussions of your elders as a reason to not come forward and do the right thing is not good enough. However, it runs deeper than that. The recent happenings in the OC which Kim wrote about, and I posted up thread, play a part in this as well.

There is an inherent mistrust of LE in this area. However, these people were her FRIENDS! I just can't reconcile their silence. Asians are well-documented as a collectivistic culture, and saving face is HUGE in our society. This goes both ways. I hope the witnesses find it in their hearts to see that coming forward is honoring Kim and our people as a collective. The justice system is contingent upon them doing just that. Kim can't speak for herself. Their silence is deafening.

(My apologies for the caps, I can't bold from my phone, I'm not yelling, I promise :hug: )

Well, I certainly appreciate your first hand experience and knowledge. The friends of Kim who are refusing to talk are being described as second generation. I assume college educated like she was, probably with friends from all walks of life. Familiar with this culture.

But I was actually talking also about first generation Vietnamese. My parents have had a several 1st generation friends over the years. They worked at social services of Orange County and long before that, my dad worked in the aerospace industry and they met and became friends with first generation Vietnamese, who to me seemed no different than my immigrant parents.

My mom is invited to first communions, Tet festivals, weddings, baptisms, birthday parties. She was given a beautiful Vietnamese costume by her friends from work, that she wears on special occasions she's invited to. My mom hosts a yearly Christmas party for her friends from work, half of whom are Vietnamese. She also goes to lunches with many of her friends, is asked to help decorate their homes, just like her friends from other ethnic backgrounds, etc. I just don't see the same level of insulation described here.

But perhaps language ability is a factor? language ability opens up worlds. It is easy to remain isolated when you can't communicate.

None of this explains Kim's second generation friends, though. I'm second generation. It's nonsense.

And you know, Kim was actually, technically, first generation, along with her folks, coming here at age 1. Somehow I am certain she would not fail her friends the way they are failing her.

Club beating victim Annie Hung Kim Pham mourned as 2nd woman charged
Posted: 01/29/2014
Last Updated: 14 hours ago
&#803;(snip)

Pham, a recent college graduate and aspiring writer, was remembered by about 600 people at a church memorial. That was followed by a cremation service later Tuesday.

Her uncle said mourners should pray for Pham's soul, for her friends and for her attackers.

More@link
http://www.turnto23.com/news/state/club-beating-victim-annie-hung-kim-pham-mourned-as-2nd-woman-charged-012914

A facebook page has been created in honor of Kim Pham. Tribute videos and news updates can be found there. The Mods have given the OK to post the link:

https://www.facebook.com/justiceforkimpham

As our community prepares to celebrate Tet (Vietnamese celebration of the Lunar New Year), I hope and pray that there will be progress in this case.
:rose: #JusticeForKimPham :rose:

did they find the third 'person of interest' yet?

This is from KPCC, the Santa Monica City College / National Public Radio affiliate in LA:

Kim Pham beating: 2 women face Thursday hearing on murder charges
Ed Joyce | January 29th, 2014, 4:00pm

Two women from Santa Ana face a pre-trial hearing Thursday at 8:30 a.m. in connection with the fatal beating of Kim Pham outside a Santa Ana nightclub.
(snip)

Orange County Senior Deputy District Attorney Troy Pino is handling both cases. He said Wednesday that he will ask the judge Thursday to merge both cases so Zavala and Brito could be tried together. The pre-trial hearing for Brito and Zavala is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. at the Harbor Justice Center in Newport Beach.

"This was not a race-related incident," Pino told KPCC Wednesday. "And reports about people standing around and not stepping in to help Pham are not true."

More@Llnk:
http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/01/29/41886/kim-pham-beating-two-women-face-thursday-hearings/

Reporting via KPCC is touted as "No Rant, No Slant for Southern California Public Radio" and a very reliable source for news :moo:

http://www.trademarkia.com/no-rant-no-slant-85153083.html

I am relieved they were able to obtain direct quotes from the Prosecuting Senior DA on the case, who was willing to go on record regarding both the race issue, and what appears to be misinformation regarding Kim's friends.

I will be on pins and needles awaiting the Judge's ruling tomorrow regarding whether or not the two cases will be allowed to be tried together. There has to be a reason why OCSDA Pino wants the cases to go to trial linked.

#JusticeForKim

Well, I certainly appreciate your first hand experience and knowledge. The friends of Kim who are refusing to talk are being described as second generation. I assume college educated like she was, probably with friends from all walks of life. Familiar with this culture.

But I was actually talking also about first generation Vietnamese. My parents have had a several 1st generation friends over the years. They worked at social services of Orange County and long before that, my dad worked in the aerospace industry and they met and became friends with first generation Vietnamese, who to me seemed no different than my immigrant parents.

My mom is invited to first communions, Tet festivals, weddings, baptisms, birthday parties. She was given a beautiful Vietnamese costume by her friends from work, that she wears on special occasions she's invited to. My mom hosts a yearly Christmas party for her friends from work, half of whom are Vietnamese. She also goes to lunches with many of her friends, is asked to help decorate their homes, just like her friends from other ethnic backgrounds, etc. I just don't see the same level of insulation described here.

But perhaps language ability is a factor? language ability opens up worlds. It is easy to remain isolated when you can't communicate.

None of this explains Kim's second generation friends, though. I'm second generation. It's nonsense.

And you know, Kim was actually, technically, first generation, along with her folks, coming here at age 1. Somehow I am certain she would not fail her friends the way they are failing her.

I don't think anyone is trying to defend her friends that are no helping LE. But I know the insulation is real, I live with it every day as a caucasian living in Little Sagon.

I too have worked with Vietnamese, usually second generation or, if first, they came here so young they have no memories of ever living in Vietnam.
I have also gone to lunch with these people, laughed joked and commiserated with them. They seemed no different than any other co-worker.

That is not, however, what I experience at home. As I said we cannot get any participation from them in anything. Often they do not even respond to correspondance from the HOA. They also do not complain about anything (unlike some of the other homeowners) and when we receive complaints about something they are doing (usually parking related as some of them appear to have tons of people living in, and parking outside of, small condos), they ignore us entirely.

We have tried to set up barbeques and pot lucks numerous times. It is rare if one Vietnamese family attends.

Right now Tet is going on and tensions are higher than at any other time of the year, but as a rule, it never really feels like a whole neighborhood. It feels like a Vietnamese neighborhood and a non Vietnamese neighborhood.

That is just fact. We have many other ethnicities and races in the neighborhood and there is nothing like this division. It seems to me to be unique to that community.

This is from KPCC, the Santa Monica City College / National Public Radio affiliate in LA:

Kim Pham beating: 2 women face Thursday hearing on murder charges
Ed Joyce | January 29th, 2014, 4:00pm

Two women from Santa Ana face a pre-trial hearing Thursday at 8:30 a.m. in connection with the fatal beating of Kim Pham outside a Santa Ana nightclub.
(snip)

Orange County Senior Deputy District Attorney Troy Pino is handling both cases. He said Wednesday that he will ask the judge Thursday to merge both cases so Zavala and Brito could be tried together. The pre-trial hearing for Brito and Zavala is scheduled for 8:30 a.m. at the Harbor Justice Center in Newport Beach.

"This was not a race-related incident," Pino told KPCC Wednesday. "And reports about people standing around and not stepping in to help Pham are not true."

More@Llnk:
http://www.scpr.org/news/2014/01/29/41886/kim-pham-beating-two-women-face-thursday-hearings/

Reporting via KPCC is touted as "No Rant, No Slant for Southern California Public Radio" and a very reliable source for news :moo:

http://www.trademarkia.com/no-rant-no-slant-85153083.html

I am relieved they were able to obtain direct quotes from the Prosecuting Senior DA on the case, who was willing to go on record regarding both the race issue, and what appears to be misinformation regarding Kim's friends.

I will be on pins and needles awaiting the Judge's ruling tomorrow regarding whether or not the two cases will be allowed to be tried together. There has to be a reason why OCSDA Pino wants the cases to go to trial linked.

#JusticeForKim

I was coming to post this. I had a feeling that info was partially false. The video didn;t seem to show an attack on one person or people just watching someone being beaten to death. It looked like a fight, meaning others must have stepped in to defend Kim.

One thing that really angers me, however, is how the defense attorneys keep saying everyone is making Kim out to be a saint. That's an insinuation that she was at fault, IMO.

Though it's the attorney's job to cast doubt on the situation, it's important to note the initial impressions from the first reports were incorrect. Example - we got the impression she was being beaten while her friends did nothing. Turns out her friends were fighting too [modsnip]. So we can also keep in mind any impressions or speculations we continue to hold may also be incorrect.

But an 8 people vs 5 people bar brawl definitely has a lot more potential to spread the blame for what happened that night.

Like I said, if this weren't such a high profile case, there wouldn't be murder charges. It's not all that uncommon for people to bang their heads on the cement and die during fights with the offending party either not being charged or with a lesser offense such as manslaughter or assault. The next time I come across something scouring court records I will post it here.

On a side note, in response to anyone wondering why no one else jumped in to protect her (though we don't know if that's the case), I go to concerts or club events all the time. When a fight breaks out nearby, I don't try to do a who?what?why? assessment of the situation and jump in, I just get out of the way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonzales Trenton
Back