GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had been a witness to this (esp. the young man who actually tried to follow the perp) , I'd be distraught , especially with the resulting outcome.
The fact that they witnessed him talking to Hailey after driving around ; and then grabbing her like that --- that memory will probably stay with them for a long time. :(
The fact that they got the monster and found Hailey's body means that precious evidence may be saved.
Thank you, people who saw and tried to DO something !

So they were issued the search warrant at 8:30am and at 10:30am they confirmed they had a body that "likely was a girl". 2 hours went by then they said it was likely a girl?? What does that mean? :banghead:

Also I wanted to address the post about a student who had ISS with CW as the supervisor. He said CW was a pothead. How did he know that? Did CW sit around with the students talking about it?

I'm not sure how accurate the 8:30am search warrant issuing was. According to the 11:00am presser they executed the search warrant at 2:30 and found her body at 2:50am and didn't confirm it was a female body until 10:45am.

the part i really dont understand is it taking 2 hours to confirm the information. this is life or death for that little girl. do all AA take that long to get out?

ETA: I know that it isn't LE's fault that Hailey was taken and I should probably let this go. I'd just like them to be faster about the process in the future.

1) the truck was not his

2) think about the initial calls.. it takes time to go to the home and figure out what the hello is going on

3) when plates came up as another person they had to check that out (re: was the other person the one driving? he wasn't but how would they know at that point)

4) it takes time and effort to enter the AA into the system and for it to be active. Considering the time frame I think they responding immediately and did what they had to do. I have seen cases take upwards of an hour to be posted on ncmec once the media reports an active AA... Maybe this could be something that could be changed via protocol?

5) all other articles so far are saying that they were on to this guy well before anything was disclosed to the media.. they just needed a warrant to search his home.. iirc I read something that stated that they did a preliminary search around the home (most likely after they were able to track down the truck owner and talk to him.. he was not home iirc) and found probable cause for the search warrant. They were also laying in wait for him at his residence (re: arrested in his driveway inside the truck):twocents:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Uncle-Fudd/198960200137846
down the page on right "tpical band practice '09" picture of him

If he had a computer, which I will be surprised that he didn't, it will be real interesting as to what they will find on it. Hope they get a search warrant for electronic devices, IMO they would.

If I recall correctly, the suspect in Alexis Murphy's disappearance didn't have any sort of online presence/computer. :( She's been missing since August and he still isn't talking.

How many hours between the time of the abduction to the time they discovered what could be her remains? It sounds *almost* as if they were having a difficult time not only determining the remains were that of a female, but also that of a human.

Sorry if this has already been addressed. According to the last press release LE had a lead on him within about 30 minutes and was staking out his house. I believe they said they checked the house for signs of someone in trouble, but backed out when no one was home. LE stated they found signs of foul play, but at that point had to get a warrant to enter the house and collect evidence. LE arrested Woods at about 8:30 pm. They got the warrant at 2:30 am and got the FBI and forensics units in place. It was at about 10:50 this morning that the ME probably was able to get to the victim and confirm. Since it was a crime scene, it would have been processed before the ME would have examined the body so the crime scene was not contaminated. I believe LE knew there was a deceased person in the house, but had to follow certain protocol to ensure a solid case against Wood.

LE had already notified the parents of the situation, so they were not making them wait for confirmation. LE went to the laundry mat at around 3:00 am and according to an attendant, was searching one washing machine and 2 dryers.

This is just so sad. My heart and prayers go out to the family. I just can't even begin to imagine what they are feeling right now.

1) the truck was not his

2) think about the initial calls.. it takes time to go to the home and figure out what the hello is going on

3) when plates came up as another person they had to check that out (re: was the other person the one driving? he wasn't but how would they know at that point)

4) it takes time and effort to enter the AA into the system and for it to be active. Considering the time frame I think they responding immediately and did what they had to do. I have seen cases take upwards of an hour to be posted on ncmec once the media reports an active AA... Maybe this could be something that could be changed via protocol?

5) all other articles so far are saying that they were on to this guy well before anything was disclosed to the media.. they just needed a warrant to search his home.. iirc I read something that stated that they did a preliminary search around the home (most likely after they were able to track down the truck owner and talk to him.. he was not home iirc) and found probable cause for the search warrant. They were also laying in wait for him at his residence (re: arrested in his driveway inside the truck):twocents:

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140219/NEWS12/302190065/craig-michael-wood-hailey-owens

Snipped from above:

Craig Wood’s father, Jim Wood, didn’t know about the Amber alert on a 10-year-old girl who had been kidnapped Tuesday until he got home and found the police waiting for him.

“I heard last night about 7:10 p.m.,” Jim Wood told the News-Leader in a short interview. “I was out all day. I had my cell phone off. I didn’t see the Amber alert.”

Jim Wood said the truck belongs to him but Craig Wood, the oldest of his children, used it. He declined to say more for now, deferring to a possible further interview later.

That absolutely breaks my heart. How powerless he must have felt, then the moment he realized he couldn't run anymore, out of breath in the middle of the street.. It helps, at least, knowing that there are so many neighborhoods that look after others' children. For some it's easier to close the blinds and shrug.

At a time when it is much easier to turn their heads and pretend they don't see or hear anything, I am proud that these witnesses stepped up and tried to help.

<snipped for space and clarity>
Also I wanted to address the post about a student who had ISS with CW as the supervisor. He said CW was a pothead. How did he know that? Did CW sit around with the students talking about it?

Wild guess, but maybe he bought it from the students.

This whole case is so incredibly sad. RIP little one.

Ugh. Well, that answers a lot of questions.

The delay in finding her was caused by the owner - Wood's dad - being gone all day and unable to be reached.

he is not the one who did this .... just jumping off of your post:seeya:

Has there ever been a case of TOTAL stranger abduction of a young child where an Amber Alert was fundamental to the recovery of the child before he/she was murdered? Sounds like its more useful for parental/custodial/seedy uncle cases than it is for the ones most vulnerable and deserving of immediate response.

I think if I saw a car pull up to a child, it might take me a few seconds to figure out if the driver was her dad/uncle/neighbor before it hit me that he was trying to abduct her. It sounds to me like as soon as he realized it was a problem, he reacted but it was too late. As someone said earlier, we don't all assume the worst at every situation.

I agree with that, 3x1ymama. That is the most reasonable and accurate explanation on the subject of the witnesses. I tried to go "there" mainly, but everyone got so overboard on defense of the witnesses, which raised my responses to a higher level to match the onslaught.

However, it should not be a crime for anyone just wanting bystanders/witnesses to have a little more awareness and pre-emptive caution anytime a child is confronted in this similar type street-scenario.

I don't think it's just the fact that he approached her, but that he circled the neighborhood several times scouting out a child, once he spotted her then he approached. The neighbors saw him circling. They must have been concerned to some extent to be watching diligently enough to see him grab her. If the entire ordeal only lasted 10 seconds, then something about him approaching her caught their attention as out of the ordinary to begin with.

I'm not faulting the witnesses, they did good chasing him after he abducted her, they got good information, etc.

Listen here http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinem...paints-picture-of-10-year-old-being-abducted/ ... the witness and his wife were sitting in their garage. It literally happened right in front of their driveway! He HEARD wood ask Hailey "where is Springfield Street". I'm guessing it couldn't have been more than 20-25 feet away.

My thoughts are with this man and his family too.

Is it also possible that the delay in issuing the Amber Alert had to do with identifying Hailey? Were the witnesses familiar with her or her family? Would they have been able to tell the 911 operators that Hailey Owens was being abducted or would it have been something more along the lines of, "A little girl was just abducted" and police trying to determine who she was?

Again God Bless those witnesses! In a time when people are so afraid to get involved and turn a blind eye, these people did all they could.

I just want to say thank you to everyone here, I have followed this thread since the 1st post... my registration wasn't approved until this afternoon. but I listened to the SPD scanners, followed Kevin Pratt's page & search group on FB (he is engaged to Sara Well's Haileys' family)

there is a Memorial fund set up for her :
https://www.facebook.com/fundforhailey

and there is a candlelight walk on saturday:
https://www.facebook.com/events/197146900495585/permalink/197288240481451/

let's just all pray for Justice :judge: :jail:

:newhere: I will figure this out.... :back: But I will be :eek:kay:

Ugh. Well, that answers a lot of questions.

The delay in finding her was caused by the owner - Wood's dad - being gone all day and unable to be reached.

Sadly, that probably wasn't a coincidence. Craig probably knew where his dad was and what he was doing and wouldn't be reachable.

With all the screaming and people chasing I am surprised he didn't drop her off. He was pretty ballsy.

I think he was desperate. Why would he abduct her in daylight in front of witnesses. He was in an uncontrollable state and in his mind nothing was going to deter him. This is why these people are so dangerous. They are driven and don't care about anything at the time. They often get away because there are no witnesses as good at the one's that witnessed Hailey's abduction. How often do we get a licenses plate?

OT: Louisiana's state male prison, Angola has a death row. Our weather is hot, hot and humid. A group is pleading with our state reps to air condition that wing b/c it's in humane.

Murdering someone is inhumane, as well.

Craig Wood’s father, Jim Wood, didn’t know about the Amber alert on a 10-year-old girl who had been kidnapped Tuesday until he got home and found the police waiting for him.

“I heard last night about 7:10 p.m.,” Jim Wood told the News-Leader in a short interview. “I was out all day. I had my cell phone off. I didn’t see the Amber alert.”

Police were in the thick of an investigation of Jim’s son Craig, Jim’s truck, the missing girl.

“He’s my son, and he’s in a lot of trouble,” Jim Wood said today.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20140219/NEWS12/302190065/craig-michael-wood-hailey-owens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member