OH - Christie Mullins, 14, Columbus, 23 Aug 1975 *killer died*

TrixieBel noted (Post #113) that the MW (Henry Newell Jr) died from cancer on Sept 17, 2013. He was 63 yrs old and his last residence was apparently in London, OH.

MW's Obituary

Although many of his step-children were listed in the obituary, I noted that Robert aka "Bobby" the 10 yr old step-child at the time of the murder, was not listed. I did note an entry into the Obit's Guestbook by none other than the victim herself, along with her pic.

This case showed serious mishandling by LE from the first moment they were notified of Christie's murder and all the way thru the prosecution of the MHM. From all the statements and documents provided, IMO, I believe you need not look any further than the MW, as the #1 murder suspect.

There were ample highly incriminating statements and witnesses, to show just cause for an investigation with intense focus on the MW for the murder of Christie, and both he and his wife for a subsequent cover-up. I also believe that Christie's "friend" Carol was likely to be far more than just an innocent player in this crime, and quite likely to have been a key assistant to the MW in Christie's abduction and murder.

It's truly a shame of mass proportions, as even if the MW did not die last year, I believe the chances of LE & the DA's office re-opening this case would have been very slim, at best. In the name of undying justice, I would hope that there will end up being a renewed discovery of facts/evidence to show who was the actual murderer of Christie.

Dear Websleuths:

Attached is a PDF file of an article I've written about the Christie Mullins case. I hope you find it of interest.

Attachments

• AN ALL-AMERICAN MURDER.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 155
Very interesting and thorough read. I am pretty much convinced that Lisa knows what happened and that Newell was more than likely the murderer.

Dear Websleuths:

Attached is a PDF file of an article I've written about the Christie Mullins case. I hope you find it of interest.

This is great, thanks for doing it! I've just begun reading it, will comment later.

I noticed that two people were barefoot. MW was barefoot upon finding the body. CR was barefoot when she last saw Christie. I don't think Christie ever made it out of the woods to the railing. The theory that CR and MW were meeting in the woods to hook up sounds good to me. Christie said she was gonna tell. Which is why MW said something about teaching her to keep her mouth shut. Or maybe he wanted Christie to join him and CR and she wouldn't. It's weird that both MW and CR left those same woods barefoot. On the same day. Possibly at the same time?

MW stated that he found Christie's body when he and his family were on a "nature hike" to Woolco to buy a puppet for his daughter. He claims they drove to the Woolco, then took the "nature hike" behind the store. Why would you make a trip to the local store when you're barefoot? Even in 1975, people weren't allowed to go inside a store without shoes (No shirt, no shoes, no service). Why didn't LE pick up on this discrepancy?

For non-registered visitors who want to access the PDF article, it's also on Facebook at #justiceforchristie. Be sure to type exactly as shown.

For the time being, to access the article (for non-registered members) you'd need to log into Facebook. It's not accessible through google, bing, etc. That may change soon.

"AN ALL-AMERICAN MURDER " is well worth reading for anyone interested in True Crime or the problem of innocent people being convicted of crimes. It is well researched and documented and the reader can get a pretty good idea what went wrong in the investigation. The problem is that the case was never solved and probably never will be.

The 1970's were an era of a substantial increase in rape, murder and disappearance of young women. These crimes were far more common and less likely to be solved than they are now. Forensic science has made significant strides since then and Law Enforcement, in spite of the Miranda Decision, was still operating in the "figure out who did it and drum a confession out of them" mode.

Another Law Enforcement practice of that era, that is less well documented, was the routine use of "informants"; who were really just criminals whose criminal activities were tolerated or even protected in exchange for their help in solving and obtaining convictions in "more important" crimes.

We don't know exactly what, if any, relationship there was between the "Star Witness" and the Columbus PD but the fact that someone with such a questionable background would be trusted is very suspicious.

Jack Carmen was not just aquitted, he was pretty well exonerated yet Columbus LE did not want to pursue the case further. No telling what embarrassing details might turn up.

This was the lead story tonight on the 11:00 p.m. WBNS-TV news. The reporter did a live report from Graceland during the 11:00 p.m. newscast.

Push To Reopen Teenager's Cold Case Murder

People applauded and cried at the Clintonville Area Commission meeting, as members unanimously agreed to send a letter to city, county and state leaders, asking to reopen the case.

Columbus Police consider the murder case to be closed and claimed that the only way the case could ever be reopened was if there were new evidence that leads them to a suspect.

Source:

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/04/03/clintonville-new-effort-to-revive-cold-case.html

If ever a case warranted a second look, it's the murder of Christie Lynn Mullins. It seems to me that the "friend" could close this one in a heartbeat if she'd do the right thing and tell the truth! Short of that, I'm afraid re-opening the case would be futile. Bobby's story is compelling, but alone, would it be enough? I don't think so. And then there are the records LE won't release. Why not? At this stage, after 40 years and presumably with no physical evidence, the information could only aid in bringing the case to a resolution. JMO

To anyone interested in the Christie Lynn Mullins story, I highly recommend reading An All American Murder, a 46-page article by John Oller (WS member NYSleuth). The link should take you right to it. I've also attached the pdf version to this post.

Attachments

• AN ALL-AMERICAN MURDER-1.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
A woman just posted on 10TV facebook post about pushing to reopen the case that she saw a man riding around in the woods

"The day this happened 3 of us where taking that short cut to Graceland Shopping center a man driving toward us is still stuck in my head to this day"

Could be rather interesting??

There's a lot of mixed cues, in this case,

1 says she was raped , another says she was not .

One thing to take into consideration is time, supposedly this all occurred within 20 min ?....give or take ?.. that seems odd to me. Id be willing to bet the time frames, involved here are skewed, possibly deliberately.

The phone call, which is a key piece of evidence, seems to never been investigated. However, I find it odd that Carol didn't question a guy that wanted her to walk through the woods, to meet him at a crowded location, where there would be plenty of witnesses, if he were planning to abduct her .

I didn't see anywhere that either girl was a cheerleader prior to the event either, so why are they headed to a cheer competition?...behind a shopping center no less.

The phone call, why was it never traced, through records ?, it was certainly possible back then. and supposedly were talking about MULTIPLE calls , the record may even still be available today. Perhaps, there weren't any phone calls, but the fact that it went to trial once without EVER having brought up sounds like , the police botched the investigation.

Ill say right now the "rape" aspect of the crime seems staged, I also find it hard to believe she was actually raped..

The use of cord as a restraint, seems, odd too, that's usually something that's done spur of the moment and procured at the scene , when the offender has brought nothing because he didn't plan on having to restrain anyone .

If you are planning to abduct someone, you are going to go through the process, of making up a fake cheerleading contest weeks in advance, why not procure, handcuffs, rope or tape, why electrical cord ? there seems to be better options. especially if you've been planning this for weeks, as the phone call story would lead you to believe .

I would like to see a Victimology report on Christy as well .. this is a High risk victim in a low risk environment.

I also saw no report that there was there anyone who could confirm she was indeed ever at the Woolco?.. other than Carol?

Bludgeoning a victim facially is usually an interpersonal crime.. its destruction of that individual. However its also not a 100% fatal method of dispatching a victim, either UNLESS its done severely and long enough... therefore I feel this individual would've had make sure she was dead, along the lines, of where she was taken, both the method, and the location indicate (at least to me ) someone VERY comfortable with that area

Hence why he asked the girls to go through the woods in the 1st place .

I don't think this is a case of Stalking... it doesn't make sense he would go through all this planning, only to get pissed when he couldn't obtain his original target, and take a victim of opportunity. Stalkers don't work that way, at least none to date that I know of .

And remember Carol never states that she was told to "come alone"

If you look at it from a rape standpoint, then you must speculate that some factor prevented the commission of it ,because no sexual assault was found through forensic examination, though it was made to look as if it did, this is usually pretty indicative of staging

The Witness that found the victim stated he saw an individual striking "something" with a 2x4, He then gleans a pretty good description of a shirtless man fleeing through the woods then states he found her body, and his wife determined she had no pulse.

However, the one suspect they do arrest seems to have NO evidential ties to the case other than physical description. AND that pans out not to be the case. Newell however has s shady past of his own... and a continuous criminal record well after Christy's murder

He also testifies, that he drove to the Woolco, to buy his son a puppet but his son wanted to take a "nature hike" behind the stores... seems kind of odd

I also find it odd that someone with "nurses training" upon seeing a man beat a woman to death, immediately runs over feels for a pulse, but doesn't attempt CPR or anything to try to save her, yet reports, the "blood was frothing from her mouth" Which leads me to believe 1 of 2 scenarios..1) the wife lied or 2) Or the victim, was already dead for sometime.

Then theres a rather suspicious incident where "Junior" Newell states he removed his shirt and placed it over the victims face .... this is known as "undoing" in forensic circles. A means to quell the feelings of guilt one feels when they are familiar with the victim .

The ligature binding is interesting, as well , it states the victims hands were tied IN FRONT of her . But not that she was secured to anything (For EX a tree). So if she wasn't raped, her hands were in front of her she was beat about the face, with no reported defensive wounds ? Though she could use her hands, she didn't ?

This leads me to believe either there was more than 1 culprit, she was blitz attacked, or conned .

Her legs weren't bound, her pants were up , though she was barefoot, her hands were in front of her she could at least defend herself , but she could run..

Perhaps she was tied after she was assaulted , which would feed into the staging aspect as well

If you agree that the call was fake, and that the rape aspect crime was staged, meaning that this was a homicide plain and simple , then the next step is motive

Who was the victim, was there something in her lifestyle that elevated her risk level?

What made her a target? Opportunity?... seems more likely the killer would attack both girls in the woods then, even if Christy WAS alone in the parking lot, he asked Carol about the path through the woods, he knew she would take that route. Even f he assaulted both girls, they were far away enough he could most likely pull off attacking both .

Who would want to harm her ?

Carols recollection of the story seems almost nonsensical ...Junior Newell's story is about as fake as any Ive ever heard especially once I read about the covering of the victims face.. why do that ?

I'm going to go out on a limb based on what I've read here, and state I don't believe the story about the phone call being about a cheerleading contest at all ... I don't believe that sexual assault was even part of the planning of the crime. I don't believe that Junior Newell saw anyone in the woods fleeing, I don't believe that his medically trained wife, would see this and not attempt to help the victim who was still frothing at the mouth when they found her .

I do believe Christy never made it out of the woods that day , I believe Christy was indeed the intended target, I believe Carol was involved, and that Junior Newell is most likely responsible for her death.

see if this works

Attachments

• 2014 04 08 -- Letter from CAC Re Christie Lynn Mullins.pdf
    50.3 KB · Views: 81

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members