OH - Christie Mullins, 14, Columbus, 23 Aug 1975 *killer died*

Why is Christie not on Charlie Project anymore? Was thee an update that caused its removal?

Satch

Since the closing of the case, attention has been more focused on the "why" rather than "who" killed Christie, and whether Henry Newell may have had accomplices. Some recent developments:

A former co-worker and fried of a neighbor kid, Tim Myers, who lived in the Broadmeadows apartments said, "I used to work with Tim. We went to a lot of concerts back then. I remember when that happened.I didn't know any of the people involved but Tim used to talk about it. He told me that Junior Newell killed that poor girl. And she was set up by Carol Reeves. He told me he had a pretty heated argument with Carol about it. Had something to do with buying pot from Junior.

I have tried unsuccessfully to get Tim Myers to talk to me. Says he's too busy and doesn't care about the case at all. I think it's clear that he's hiding potentially relevant information.

Another note in the CPD file (made available for the first time after the closing of the case), relates an interview by CPD of a man who knew Carol Reeves' father. It reads: "Bob Meechan knows Dick Reeves. Newell not with wife at time of murder. Newell used to get drugs for Carol. Meechan son at party--Carol upset--"things about murder nobody knows."

If you take these two pieces of information together, it lends support to what I have always believed, which is that the rendezvous in the woods, whether with Christie and Carol together or Christie alone, was somehow related to buying, selling, or using drugs.

Justice Insider: Columbus girl's 1975 murder featured in new cable crime series
The investigation into the murder of 14-year-old Christie Mullins, who was beaten to death behind Graceland Shopping Center, will be featured on the new cable series “Welcome to Murdertown” on Investigation Discovery Channel.

One of Columbus’ highest profile murder cases will be dissected on a new television show, “Welcome to Murdertown,” a series premiering Nov. 13 on the Investigation Discovery Channel.

Just giving everyone a heads up that the Welcome to Murdertown episode about the Christie Mullins murder case on the Investigation Discovery Channel airs at 9:00 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday November 13.

The same episode is also repeated again three hours later on the Investigation Discovery Channel on Wednesday November 14 at 12:00 a.m. Eastern.

I watched "Welcome to Murdertown" with the episode about Christie Mullins.

A few things that I gathered from the show (Some of these we may have discussed; however, I don't recall):

1. Six weeks before Christie's murder, in July 1975, Christie and some other teenagers were caught smoking marijuana in the wooden area behind Graceland Shopping Center. The same wooden area where Christie's body was found. Amongst the other teenagers that were caught with Christie was none other than Carol Reeves.

2. Henry Newell lived one street away from Christie Mullins. Newell also lived directly across the street from Carol Reeves.

3. Henry Newell was a small time drug dealer, and supplied many local teenagers with drugs. Having possession of marijuana in Ohio, in 2018, is pretty much a minor misdemeanor if it is less than 100 grams, misdemeanor if between 100-200 grams, and a felony if over 200 g. It is also considered a felony if you are selling more than 20 grams. If convicted, the penalty can range from three days to six months in prison.

Yet, this was 1975, where the law and its punishment was stricter. First offense possession was a misdemeanor with up to a year in prison, and a $1000 fine. The second offense was a felony, and prison time could range between 1-10 years. Now selling ranged from 10-20 years if you intended to sell, and 20-40 years if you were caught selling.

Now Ohio Governor, James Rhodes, signed a bill to decriminalize marijuana on August 22, 1975. (Three days before Christie's murder). Some portions of the new law didn't go into effect until November 21, 1975. The law went fully into effect on July 1, 1976.

4. A week before Christie's murder, there was a party that Christie attended. The location was only a block and a half from her home. Apparently, Christie called her mom to pick her up. Christie's sister, Kim Mullins recalls it being odd to ask to be picked up from location only a block and a half away. Yet, feels something scared Christie that night. It is believed Henry Newell was there that night, and Christie stumbled upon something.

5. Neighbors would notice Henry Newell outside homes listening through windows, looking around.

Did Christie Mullins stumble upon a deal conducted by Henry Newell, or did Henry Newell make some advanced on Christie at that party? He was 25 years old at the time, and he seemed to prey on these teenagers.

Carol Reeves also seemed to set Christie up, IMO. They went to a guardrail, near the woods, behind the Graceland Shopping Centre. Seems kind of odd to go behind the shopping center to look for a cheerleader contest. Yet, Carol leaves Christie behind to check the time. Carol was adamant to have Christie go with her to this contest, which Christie seemed reluctant to do, and tells her to wait by herself?

It has been said that a DJ with southern accent called Carol. Newell himself was from the south. Did the police look at the phone records? If they did look and couldn't find anything, did Newell approach Carol?

If Newell approached Carol to lure Christie, did he over her drugs? Did she do it out of fear? Did he make advances on Carol? Was she reseptive of these advances, Newell being 25 and Carol being 14/15, it's not far fetched. Could Christie have seen something at that party that dealt with Newell/Carol sexually?

I don't know. It is just thoughts going through my head trying to put together where Carol and her story fits into all of this.

I saw the show. With only 45 minutes to work with apart from commercials, some things got left out, and others were combined in a way that didn’t strictly follow chronological order, a standard convention in creative nonfiction. As a dramatic/cinematic piece it was well done, and fairly conveyed the essence of the story and the grief and angst of the family. Norman’s lonely quest was particularly well done. The story largely stuck to the facts as known or alleged.

I think the show was designed to appeal mainly to people who knew nothing about the case or at least are not that familiar with all the details (which is probably 99.9% of ID’s national audience). For the record, I thought I’d point out some things that weren’t strictly accurate, or were incomplete. Some of these could be viewed as nit-picking, others are more significant:

1. Norman Mullins was not home the day of the murder. He didn’t return from a business trip until late that night. He was not at the morgue.

2. Whether you believe Carol’s cheerleading story or not, she could not have mentioned it to Christie at the pool, since according to her she didn’t learn about it until the later call with the DJ.

3. Litzinger presented Carol’s cheerleading/guardrail/Woolco story as fact. As we know, it’s only based on Carol’s testimony.

4. Jack Carmen did not try to run when initially confronted by the police at the bus station. He was not merely a creepy guy, but mentally challenged (IQ of 45), and easily prone to confess to things.

5. Clintonville is the modern name given to the entire area north of campus and up to Worthington. In reality, the three streets (Rosslyn, Kanawha, and Westview) were considered part of Sharon Township, not Clintonvile.

6. The person who said to me on the phone, “You know he did it, don’t you?” was not the niece but instead Newell’s daughter Judonna. She also said he confessed to her.

7. The niece did relate the story of Newell chatting up Christie at the guardrail, and he may well have told her that, but it’s very unlikely it happened exactly that way (if she was even at the guardrail).

8. Newell did say (or is alleged to have said), “That’ll teach her to keep her mouth shut,” but it was not at the murder scene. It was in the car with his wife and mother in law the day of the funeral.

9. Bobby Saultz did not just recently come forward. He related the same story at the Carmen trial.

10. The show could be viewed as implying that Newell was at the Blind School where the drug bust took place. He was not. While he definitely dealt drugs, I think it was as much, or more, pills than pot (e.g., sopors, Rorer 714s).

11. Newell was not at Lynn’s party the week before the murder where Christie was scared by something.

12. Although there were references to rape, the medical evidence established that Christie was not raped, and was a virgin.

13. Litzinger said he doubted Carmen’s guilt and suspected Henry Newell. Maybe, but if so, there’s nothing in the files from the time to support that.

14. The “rumors” about Newell being a police informant are not just rumors, they were confirmed as part of Eppert’s investigation.

15. Not just Litzinger, but other CPD cops were told in effect to “stand down” from pursuing any theory other than that Jack Carmen was the killer.

I personally thought CPD got off too easy, but partly that’s because Litzinger was the only living cop involved in the original case who’s still alive and was willing to be interviewed. A lot of his testimony was predictably self-serving. Eppert declined to cooperate.

A common reaction has been that the telecast raised more questions than it answered (e.g., how did the Newells manage to identify Carmen at the lineup? How exactly did Christie get to the woods in Newell’s presence? What about Carol’s story? I think the unanswered questions are probably a good thing. If everything were presented as neatly tied up, nobody would have much incentive to come forward with new information. Hopefully they will.

Hi John.

Your opinion of the show was “spot on”. but the show was not entirely accurate as well as missing much information. I lived it. You did a very good job as one who was not not there . I also was surprised that Carmen’s mental status was not brought into play. As you know I was at the trial and was not surprised at the outcome.We all knew who did it.

The show was not even close to what the CPD detectives and your investigatory outcome indicated, along with mine and other’s recollection. Your points previous are , in my opinion, very accurate. And should be read as accurate!

As I have publicly, and to you personally, thanked you for your persistence in the case being solved, I would like to clear mine and my deceased brother’s name in all this. But there are things pertaining of this incident that need enlightened because you weren’t there. And I was. And your conclusions are about 99% accurate based on investigation. For that I am grateful!

We have all had many years of memories brought back up as have I. Here are a few:

I have read this blog over and over and have no idea why Kathy would be so suspect. She was just another player in this story. I have tried to reconnect through her brother John but have not had any success. She had nothing to do with the murder, that I know of. It was just a normal summer in Clintonville.

I was Christie’s “boyfriend” at the time, as you and the CPD know. We had been “hanging out” together for about 2-3 weeks before her murder. I was never interviewed by CPD at the time of her murder, as is the statement of most of those who knew her in 1975.

I would like to address your statements made on ebsleuths.com that I HAVE also made to CPD detectives to help solve Christie’s murder. I will address each according to the number on the website. My comments in CAPS:

Statement 4. I believe that Carol was jealous of Christie. (POSSIBLY. CAROL WAS JEALOUS OF ALL GIRLS BECAUSE OF HER LOOKS.PROBABLY WHY SHE WAS SO INSECURE.) Christie was prettier (MUCH) and had a more positive, sunny disposition. (THIS I AGREE WITH. CAROL WAS NOT REALLY PRETTY AND WAS OVER WEIGHT.) Carol also was interested in Jimmy Bateson, (HER INTEREST , IF ANY, WAS ONLY TO GET DRUGS) who also showed interest in Christie (MY BROTHER NEVER SHOWED INTEREST IN CHRISTIE. AND SHE NEVER SHOWED INTEREST IN HIM. HIS INTEREST IN CAROL REEVES WAS ONLY ONE OF SOMEONE TO SELL DRUGS TO OR GET HIGH WITH) (it’s not clear whether Christie was interested in Jimmy; she had briefly “dated” Jimmy’s brother Tom. (IT WAS ONLY BRIEF BECAUSE SHE WAS MURDERED. JIMMY WAS MY OLDER BROTHER. IF GIRLS WERE “INTERESTED” IN MY BROTHER IT WAS BECAUSE HE HAD CONNECTIONS WITH DRUGS. CHRISTIE WAS NOT INTERESTED IN HIM PERIOD. YES CHRISTIE AND I HAD BEEN “SEEING” EACH OTHER FOR 2-3 WEEKS BEFORE HER DEATH.) Bottom line is there was probably some friction between the two girls, a sort of love-hate relationship. (DOUBTFUL, TRUST ME, CAROL HAD NOTHING ON CHRISTIE, CAROL WAS OVER WEIGHT. CHRISTIE WAS NOT JEALOUS OF HER). They did hang out a lot together that summer—much more than previously reported. Although Christie may not have liked Carol all that much personally, I think she saw Carol as an entrée to a more exciting (and dangerous, or at least reckless) world. (STUPID CONCLUSION. CHRISTIE WAS HER OWN PERSON, AS I TOLD THE CPD. CHRISTIE WAS NEVER JEALOUS OF CAROL. UNLESS YOU LIVED THE TIME AND PLACE YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND. WE ALL HUNG OUT TOGETHER. IT WAS JUST WHAT WE DID.)

STATEMENT 6. Newell also said that he had seen Carol “several times in the woods (VERY VAGUE. THERE WERE WOODS AT THE RIVER, BEHIND ROSSLYN, BEHIND GRACELAND, AND AT THE BLIND SCHOOL. ALL IN QUESTION) with 3 or 4 other guys” and that “apparently she (and Christie) had smoked pot there” and had been busted by the state police for smoking marijuana at the Blind School (ON RECORD) a few weeks before the murder. [the part about the Blind School is documented in the police report. Carol also admitted in her deposition that she and Christie smoked pot at least 5-10 times together that summer, both in the woods and in the Broadmeadows apartments of friends, including Kathy Kennedy’s apartment in the 465 building]. (CHRISTIE AND I MET AT TOGETHER AT KATHY’S APT) Both Steve Neal and Tom Bateson have said they were among the guys they smoked pot with in the woods.(VAGUE STATEMENT. AT WHICH TIME? THIS HAPPENED OFTEN. THERE WERE MANY TIMES. IT WAS WHAT WE DID. I CAN'T REMEMBER WHO STEVE NEAL IS) I wouldn’t be surprised if Newell was also one of those (BE SURPRISED. IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. I NEVER MET NOR KNEW NEWELL, NOR CAN REMEMBER A PARTY HE AND I WERE AT). “3 or 4 guys” or at least had run into the girls there and made small talk with them and other kids they were with. Whatever else one can say about him, Newell did seem to have a good rapport with teenaged kids (AGREED. HE DEALT DRUGS) and an ability to make himself seem like one of them. (I HAD DATED KATHY KENNEDY BEFORE "SEEING" CHRISTIE. KATHY DID HAVE AN APT AT RIVERLODGE. WE SPENT MOST OF THE SUMMER AT HER APT. I DON’T KNOW WHO STEVE NEAL IS. THERE WERE MANY DIFFERENT “CLICKS” THAT HUNG OUT AT BROADMEADOWS. IT IS POSSIBLE THAT OUR PATHS CROSSED. AS FOR NEWELL, I NEVER KNEW HIM. SOMEBODY THAT “CONNECTED” I WOULD HAVE REMEMBERED.)

(BESIDES ALL THIS, WE’RE TO BELIEVE CAROL REEVES?? THE PERSON WHO SAID THERE WAS A “CHEELEADING CONTEST BECAUSE OF A PHONE CALL??” BEHIND WOOLCO??

WHEN I WAS INTERVIEWED IN 2017 I TOLD THE DETECTIVE, CHRISTIE WOULD’VE NEVER GONE INTO THE WOODS WITH SOMEONE SHE DIDN’T KNOW!! I BELIEVE SHE KNEW NEWELL WHO ASKED HER IF “SHE WANTED TO GET HIGH”. THAT WOULD’VE BEEN THE ONLY WAY SHE WOULD’VE GONE INTO THE WOODS WILLINGLY, WITHOUT CAUSING A SCENE.

THERE WERE MANY OTHER COMMENTS THAT WERE BROUGHT TO THE CPD THAT WERE NOT EVEN ENTERED INTO THIS “INVESTIGATIVE” STORY. WHY CAN’T ANYBODY TELL THE REAL STORY??

FUNNY THING…. EVERYBODY KNEW NEWELL DID IT. EXCEPT FOR THE CPD.

THE QUESTION REMAINS TO THIS DAY…WHAT PART DID YOU PLAY, CAROL, IN THE DEATH OF CHRISTIE?? WE WAIT FOR HER ANSWER.

Hi,

I’m from Brazil and sorry my poor English!
I’ve seen the program about Chistie Mullins this weekend and it was very interesting. But I’ve some doubts about Carol Reeves. Is she still alive? In the program, there is any Carol’s photo that time and nowadays (if she’s alive).
Had the police discovered the man who’s called Carol’s home?

10. Carol said the phone call with the disc jockey came at 1 p.m. and lasted 15 minutes. That can’t be right. All the DJ supposedly said was there was going to be a cheerleading contest at Woolco at 1:45 and to be there by 1:30; to take the shortcut path; and to pick a couple leaves for the contest.

I know they were only 14, but weren't they suspicious of a "DJ" that would call random teenage girls to promote entry in a contest? I mean, really, that's the kind of thing that's mentioned over the radio or maybe in the newspaper, but nobody would start cold-calling individual kids.

Luckily her killer died of cancer (slowly I hope...)
Anyways his family...they knew the truth and didn't say anything until his death.
As a matter of facts his relatives are not different than him

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back