Found Deceased WA - Jenise Wright, 6, Bremerton, 2 Aug 2014 - #6 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to give myself a voluntary timeout from this thread last night and as it turns out it's a good thing I did. Fingers crossed that this individual will be charged as an adult and face adult penalties for his very adult crimes.

Just as a side note--to the folks who 'mark your place' in a thread, did you realize you could subscribe to a thread without having to post in it? If you go to the menu that displays from the right margin just above the first post in a thread go to Thread Tools/Subscribe to this Thread/Add and, bang, you're done! I use this tool all the time when I'm following a thread but not yet ready to post in it.

Warning Speculation ahead re: forgiveness
First off , I know nothing about this particular perp or his family. In general terms you have a tight knit community where most know each other at least casually in the area. So let's say this perp had his own trauma,, bad divorce as a kid, accident as a kid, abuse as a kid, struggling family , etc. ( NO i am not excusing his behavior, calm down ) So you're the other neighbor and you know he's had a rough time so you take him under your wing and he hangs with your kids and he becomes like an extra son. He's been around for birthday parties and cries on your shoulder because of a bad day at school,e tc. I think we all can think of a one of our children's friends or even one of our friends when we were children , who had a rougher time than some who we and our parents extended a little extra love to . You see him struggling and feel so bad and wish you could help him. Then, you find out he's the one who has taken the life of your child in this manner. You would be filled with rage and all the other emotions but knowing the kid and the cards he'd been dealt, you may want to ' forgive ' him as well. Lets' remember forgiveness does not mean "" Please Judge do not sentence him to prison. He didn't mean it. He's a good guy".
I live in a neighborhood with several boys the age of my son, now 20 . They grew up roaming and biking and climbing trees together. As teens they began to branch off into other areas. One has been in jail for pulling a knife on his mom. Three are on drugs. So I know these boys and have for years. I would hope that I know what they're capable of and would hope its' nowhere near anything like killing another human. But they have gone on a much different path from my son. So if they were to get into serious trouble, even though they must pay the price for any crime, I would probably still feel a little tug of sorrow/forgiveness for the little boys who used to play with my son . And I know what kind of home lives they've had and they're not pleasant, not stable, not comforting home lives at all. Forgiveness is not a ' get out of jail free' card. I think it would just mean human to human, something happened to this person to bring this out. We 're all given a clean slate at birth ( almost all anyway ) and from there children are not responsible for the influences in their lives and what it might cause later.
I'm not being a bleeding heart and saying it's not the perp's fault because ultimately it is. But I feel like adults can cause so much pain and strain on a child that they erupt in ways that are unacceptable.

I have to say that it makes me sad that the name has been leaked before it's officially released by LE. I know it's human nature to spread gossip, especially bad news, and I know the perp doesn't necessarily deserve polite treatment, but the leaking and feeding frenzy around it are really distasteful. Our system protects the juvenile until/unless charged as an adult. We all expect him to be charged as an adult and the name will come out....it's not a hardship for us to wait.

I had to get that off my chest. Whew.

I am very curious about this kid's background just like everyone else and I'm 100% confident I will eventually learn more details than I really need. We don't need to grab...the info will be provided.

SCHMAE Good post.
Or we could find out the perp -whoever it is - is a good friend, a good student, a good citizen and a good child with good parents.

My feelings are, right now, that the parents of the perp are likely in absolutely horrendous pain and suffering at this time.
I have no feelings for the perp, but for his family..... wow.

I had to give myself a voluntary timeout from this thread last night and as it turns out it's a good thing I did. Fingers crossed that this individual will be charged as an adult and face adult penalties for his very adult crimes.

Just as a side note--to the folks who 'mark your place' in a thread, did you realize you could subscribe to a thread without having to post in it? If you go to the menu that displays from the right margin just above the first post in a thread go to Thread Tools/Subscribe to this Thread/Add and, bang, you're done! I use this tool all the time when I'm following a thread but not yet ready to post in it.

I took yesterday off to babysit so I'm still catching up on the thread but this caught my eye and I just had to mention that every time I see a post that says "marking my spot" I picture a dog with it's leg in the air marking their territory. :facepalm:

Subscribe. It's a good thing. JMO

:goodpost: I agree with you. When the identity is revealed, there is a similar thought I have but I will wait til then because of TOS.

I have to say that it makes me sad that the name has been leaked before it's officially released by LE. I know it's human nature to spread gossip, especially bad news, and I know the perp doesn't necessarily deserve polite treatment, but the leaking and feeding frenzy around it are really distasteful. Our system protects the juvenile until/unless charged as an adult. We all expect him to be charged as an adult and the name will come out....it's not a hardship for us to wait.

I am very curious about this kid's background just like everyone else and I'm 100% confident I will eventually learn more details than I really need. We don't need to grab...the info will be provided.

I understand your POV on this but I want to point out that we sleuth the web to find out as much as we can. That's what we do. It isn't gossipy or nosy to want to know the full truth imo. I think we're (on the whole) smart enough to discard garbage information and decide for ourselves if it is useless information or pertinent to the case. That's just my two cents for the kitty.

I do agree that his name should not have been leaked the way it has; as he is still a minor and is a suspect; but it was inevitable.
I wholly support WS TOS not to release or discuss his name on the forum and agree with the many reasons why it is inappropriate until he has been charged as an adult.

Being "nosy" and "gossipy" led many of us to find Teleka Patrick's twitter feed and the various deleted posts. I feel those were very pertinent to her case as well. Never say never as far as where good information can come from. JMOO

I understand your POV on this but I want to point out that we sleuth the web to find out as much as we can. That's what we do. It isn't gossipy or nosy to want to know the full truth imo. I think we're (on the whole) smart enough to discard garbage information and decide for ourselves if it is useless information or pertinent to the case. That's just my two cents for the kitty.

I do agree that his name should not have been leaked the way it has; as he is still a minor and is a suspect; but it was inevitable.
I wholly support WS TOS not to release or discuss his name on the forum and agree with the many reasons why it is inappropriate until he has been charged as an adult.

Being "nosy" and "gossipy" led many of us to find Teleka Patrick's twitter feed and the various deleted posts. I feel those were very pertinent to her case as well. Never say never as far as where good information can come from. JMOO

:yeahthat: ;) thank you

I am wondering if we can close the thread until I get my yard work done? :thinking:

I'm TOTALLY OK with this! We just moved last week and I'm moving so slowly on the unpacking!!

The problem is, when you mix scandal, social media, and teenagers, you could have Super Heroes involved and those teens would still find a way to talk about it, share things, post pics, etc. :(

I totally get the sleuthing thing - I am here too after all, lol! It's the leaking and apparent glee to find the info quickly. I don't see sleuthing as a race. Speed is not always a virtue, and it's hard to think when in a rush. Sleuthing isn't just being the first to gather info, but thinking thoughtfully about it.

Plus, the whole "share everything on social media" gets on my nerves. (And yes, I'm on SM too.) I know it's not cool to say this right now, but what if the kid really isn't the perp? (I think he is at this point.) Wow, what damage has been done to a teen if it's not him. It's worth waiting a day or so for him to be charged as an adult, imo.

I just saw the community spirit deteriorate quickly, both on location and online....and it makes me sad.

I think it is possible that JW feels like he must forgive this person. His wife and the child that he was accused of abusing have forgiven him and even defended him so who is he to withhold the same. If there comes a time that he can speak those words and mean them he is a stronger person than I am. In his place I suspect that my own guilt would eat me up and forgiveness would never come.

...after a good night's sleep, I am sorry I said what I said. If mods want to delete my comment that is fine with me. I tried to go back and delete and maybe it's too old.

Maybe nothing could have prevented this. The community will heal, I will forget, but the two families will live with this forever. I am sad for both families, still have mixed emotions but I can only imagine the pain they are going through.

I hope people will realize that....(with the violence and sex mixed together that children and young adults are exposed to today), that as parents it will take more work and coaching/education/and vigilance to protect them.

The Kubler Ross book has helped me before....I recommend it for anyone that has had a loss:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kübler-Ross_model

BBM

You said nothing wrong. You shared what you saw over the years, and the feelings and misgivings you had. Honestly, your words made me feel better. At the beginning of this case, when I read of this child wandering around at 3 years old, going into people's houses by herself, looking for food, playing in abandoned houses, missing for almost 24 hours before an alarm was sounded, I was so sad, and questioned whether anyone cared, or if they just pulled the blinds and went on with their lives. The fact that you and your neighbors did care, and that calls were made, and concerns expressed, made me feel better. Y'all were watching out for Jenise, not because you had to, or because it was your responsibility, but because you cared about and loved this little wandering girl. I am sure that, in her heart, Jenise knew that she was loved by many people in her community, and that is a good thing. Thank you for what you have done.

No, all charges were NOT dropped. The charge of molestation of the 8 year old girl was not pursued, he received a one year jail sentence for molestation of the 15 year old; the judge allowed him to pay fines instead of serve the time.

Because of a local news station callously not redacting the name of a victim of an alleged sexual assault from their coverage of this (they showed the criminal complaint on the screen unredacted, naming the victim, and that link has been posted here), we know now that the child who was 8 at the time has since been on national television defending James Wright.

If his victim can defend him, I'll take her word for it. And I think it's absolutely horrible of that news station to have released this information in the way they did. Not only is this now-grown woman dealing with the loss of her baby sister, she's also having to deal with the past being thrown in her face in nearly every news article discussing the case.

I totally get the sleuthing thing - I am here too after all, lol! It's the leaking and apparent glee to find the info quickly. I don't see sleuthing as a race. Speed is not always a virtue, and it's hard to think when in a rush. Sleuthing isn't just being the first to gather info, but thinking thoughtfully about it.

snipped for space\
NO ONE here at WS (that I've seen) has raced to find and post information about the supposed perp.
I'm a bit lost on the direction of this post. imo

snipped for space\
NO ONE here at WS (that I've seen) has raced to find and post information about the supposed perp.
I'm a bit lost on the direction of this post. imo

I never mentioned WS. I mentioned sadness over the leaking.

Deep breath for myself .... I'm taking a time out.

SCHMAE Good post.
Or we could find out the perp -whoever it is - is a good friend, a good student, a good citizen and a good child with good parents.

My feelings are, right now, that the parents of the perp are likely in absolutely horrendous pain and suffering at this time.
I have no feelings for the perp, but for his family..... wow.

Absolutely we could find out he's mr super star and had nothing in his past to indicate this. Rather than trying to gauge him and his own history, I was more trying to think of why the father wants to forgive him. :) That led me to think what circumstances might I ' desire' to forgive such a person in . Does not mean I would be successful in attempting to forgive but I might desire to try . tks

Because of a local news station callously not redacting the name of a victim of an alleged sexual assault from their coverage of this (they showed the criminal complaint on the screen unredacted, naming the victim, and that link has been posted here), we know now that the child who was 8 at the time has since been on national television defending James Wright.

If his victim can defend him, I'll take her word for it. And I think it's absolutely horrible of that news station to have released this information in the way they did. Not only is this now-grown woman dealing with the loss of her baby sister, she's also having to deal with the past being thrown in her face in nearly every news article discussing the case.

Seriously ? I had no idea this happened. :(

I wonder what makes a person voluntarily do this? Did he think somehow they wouldn't match? Did he just assume they would catch him anyway, so he might as well not attempt to hide the fact? Did he think that by not refusing the test he would eliminate suspicion? I guess it's just another part of the criminal mind us regular folks can't fathom.

During a press conference, LE made a statement that there is still time for residents to come forth voluntarily and give DNA samples. It seems therefore that some had not given DNA samples when asked to earlier.
It is possible that the suspect was one of the holdouts and LE ended up demanding the sample with a court order or warrant.
Is it know for certain that the suspect allowed his DNA to be collected voluntarily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti