PR/JR wrote the RN to explain their dead daughter in basement

PR/JR wrote the RN to explain their dead daughter in basement

• Total voters
I think that the damage done would have been greater than seen if the objective was to “obscure older injuries.”

Considering that they couldn't dispose of her body, it's really not hard to believe that they had a problem with touching her dead body. That's probably why an object was used in the first place.

And, I think the crime would have been staged as a sexual crime because that is what is needed to explain the new injuries.

Of course, it would help if they knew what a sexual crime was supposed to look like...

Another problem with the sexual assault being a part of a staged crime scene designed to “obscure older injuries and throw suspicion elsewhere” is that the assault was essentially hidden. The staged scene is a kidnapping: ransom note, wrist ligatures and tape; and, one could argue that the kidnapping was staged to further hide the sexual aspect of the crime.

Either that, or they took the "throw s**t at the wall and goes with what sticks" approach. I'm not claiming these people were criminal masterminds. Quite the opposite.

The (supposed) instrument used for the assault was disposed of (or, at least, removed from the home), and the victim cleaned up, clothes straightened, wrapped in blanket, etc. Actions of this sort are of the kind that should have directed suspicion anywhere but “elsewhere.” The proof of that is that it is these actions that cause many to suspect the Ramseys of committing them.

Now you're talking my language. Even a chameleon will show its true colors.

I don't think I've agreed with more of AK's posts (or more ardently) than I just did when I read this page. The genital injuries that were inflicted on JonBenet just prior to her death were not done to "hide" past injuries. Simple logic should tell us that no one would commit an act that they wanted noticed (sexual assault to hide previous abuse), and then try to hide what they did by attempting to remove evidence of it (removal of blood from the assault). That line of thought just makes no sense to me.

Also, as I have so often disputed with UKGuy in the past, Meyer is not referring to two separate acts when he states his opinion that she "had been subjected to sexual assault", and then that that assault was "consistent with digital penetration". He is describing how that sexual assault might have occurred -- and "consistent with" does not mean that it had to be a finger.

As I learned a long time ago, otg, you can't expect the murder of a child to make sense.

Considering that they couldn't dispose of her body, it's really not hard to believe that they had a problem with touching her dead body. That's probably why an object was used in the first place.

Of course, it would help if they knew what a sexual crime was supposed to look like...

Either that, or they took the "throw s**t at the wall and goes with what sticks" approach. I'm not claiming these people were criminal masterminds. Quite the opposite.

Now you're talking my language. Even a chameleon will show its true colors.
You seem to be arguing that they committed the sexual assault but then, afterwards, they didn’t know how to make it look like a sexual assault. That’s like saying that you dripped mustard on your shirt, but now you can’t figure out how to make it look like mustard was dripped on your shirt.

Even the simple minded understand what a sexual assault should look like. If the Ramseys committed this crime, then they committed a sexual assault (at or near point of death). So, obviously, having committed the crime, they would know what it should look like. And, they wouldn’t have to worry about what it should look like, because it was real.

Regardless, in this case, the sexual assault was hidden. The killer even removed the instrument used (if used) for the penetration. The disposal, the wiping, the straightening of clothes, the blanket, the kidnapping (note, tape, wrist ligatures) all suggest a killer who did not want the sexual aspect of this crime to be connected to the crime.

AK

As I learned a long time ago, otg, you can't expect the murder of a child to make sense.
I don’t think anyone would expect the reason for a child’s murder to make any sense. We can try to understand the events that caused it, the actions taken by someone involved in it, or why someone might have done something a certain way. But that’s not the same as saying the death itself makes sense. When a person is covering up a crime (any crime) they are essentially trying to alter the evidence of what happened to tell a story different from the reality of what happened. If that cover-up is to be successful, it will have to “make sense” to the investigators trying to figure out what happened. I don’t “expect the murder of a child to make sense.” But I do expect the interpretation of the evidence to.

(rsbm)
January 30, 1997 Search Warrant, excerpt

Your phraseology, i.e reversing Coroner Meyer's phrase sequence to: 1. had been subjected to sexual assault 2. consistent with digital penetration and replacing contact with assault does not carry the same meaning as Coroner Meyer's original remarks.
Okay, my rendition of what Meyer is supposed to have said was sloppy because it wasn’t important to the point I was trying to make. While I cannot hope for forgiveness for not having looked up the exact quote, I don’t really think it makes that much of a difference in what he was saying. The quote we have is third-hand anyway, so the accuracy of Meyer’s exact words could be questioned. I still do not believe he was trying to differentiate between two different sexual assaults. (That's not to say that it isn't possible -- just that Meyer was not trying to say that.)

I agree with you here. So do you think that penetration by the paintbrush handle might represent an injury consistent with digital penetration or could it have been afflicted by some other foreign object as described by Dr. Sirontak?
The object used (IMO) could have been anything long enough to go in as far as the injuries were found and small enough in diameter to cause no acute tearing in the hymen. That means it could have been a finger, a paintbrush, or anything else that we might not even know about that caused the injuries. Because of what other evidence exists that we do know about, I believe it was the paintbrush that was used before it was broken into pieces and used in the cord around her neck. Here is what Dr. McCann had to say about the object:
McCann believed that the object was forcefully jabbed in – not just shoved in. Although the bruised area would indicate something about the size of a finger nail, he did not believe it was a finger, because of the well demarcated edges of the bruise indicating an object much firmer than a finger.

Autopsy Report, excerpt

Nearly all of the above is technical medical terms stating that JonBenet had been subjected internally to chronic assault, excepting Acute inflammatory infiltrate is not seen. suggests no foreign fluid was introduced internally.
I’m not following you on the “foreign fluid”.

Autopsy Report, excerpt

The above excerpt suggests that JonBenet was bleeding internally, so what caused the bleeding?
The bleeding came from the injured hymen.

You seem to be arguing that they committed the sexual assault but then, afterwards, they didn’t know how to make it look like a sexual assault. That’s like saying that you dripped mustard on your shirt, but now you can’t figure out how to make it look like mustard was dripped on your shirt.

Even the simple minded understand what a sexual assault should look like. If the Ramseys committed this crime, then they committed a sexual assault (at or near point of death). So, obviously, having committed the crime, they would know what it should look like. And, they wouldn’t have to worry about what it should look like, because it was real.

That's as fine a piece of sophistry as I've ever encountered, Anti-K. Me? I'm a direct kind of guy. When I compare what was done to JB to what was done to, say, Danielle Van Dam, it's like night and day. And that's what the Feds thought, too.

Regardless, in this case, the sexual assault was hidden. The killer even removed the instrument used (if used) for the penetration. The disposal, the wiping, the straightening of clothes, the blanket, the kidnapping (note, tape, wrist ligatures) all suggest a killer who did not want the sexual aspect of this crime to be connected to the crime.

I'm thinking about what the Feds said about "undoing" the crime in the killer's mind...

That's as fine a piece of sophistry as I've ever encountered, Anti-K. Me? I'm a direct kind of guy. When I compare what was done to JB to what was done to, say, Danielle Van Dam, it's like night and day. And that's what the Feds thought, too.

I'm thinking about what the Feds said about "undoing" the crime in the killer's mind...
There is no sophistry in my post. And, the rest of your comments are virtually non sequitur. Comparing Jonbenet’s injuries to other crimes, etc does not address the issue to which my comments were directed: your absurd claim that the Ramseys committed the sexual assault (at or near point of death) but somehow did not know what a sexual crime should look like.

AK

(rsbm)Okay, my rendition of what Meyer is supposed to have said was sloppy because it wasn’t important to the point I was trying to make. While I cannot hope for forgiveness for not having looked up the exact quote, I don’t really think it makes that much of a difference in what he was saying. The quote we have is third-hand anyway, so the accuracy of Meyer’s exact words could be questioned. I still do not believe he was trying to differentiate between two different sexual assaults. (That's not to say that it isn't possible -- just that Meyer was not trying to say that.)

The object used (IMO) could have been anything long enough to go in as far as the injuries were found and small enough in diameter to cause no acute tearing in the hymen. That means it could have been a finger, a paintbrush, or anything else that we might not even know about that caused the injuries. Because of what other evidence exists that we do know about, I believe it was the paintbrush that was used before it was broken into pieces and used in the cord around her neck. Here is what Dr. McCann had to say about the object:
McCann believed that the object was forcefully jabbed in – not just shoved in. Although the bruised area would indicate something about the size of a finger nail, he did not believe it was a finger, because of the well demarcated edges of the bruise indicating an object much firmer than a finger.

Heyya otg

I believe it was the paintbrush that was used before it was broken into pieces and used in the cord around her neck.- otg

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/for...uot-Unedited-Notes-From-Ramsey-Case-Documents

Yes McCann was "The doctor [who] also stated that he assumed the object did not have jagged edges because there were no evidence of tears in the bruised area."

Q: wouldn't a fingernail cause tears?

(rsbm)Okay, my rendition of what Meyer is supposed to have said was sloppy because it wasn’t important to the point I was trying to make. While I cannot hope for forgiveness for not having looked up the exact quote, I don’t really think it makes that much of a difference in what he was saying. The quote we have is third-hand anyway, so the accuracy of Meyer’s exact words could be questioned. I still do not believe he was trying to differentiate between two different sexual assaults. (That's not to say that it isn't possible -- just that Meyer was not trying to say that.)

I’m not following you on the “foreign fluid”.

The bleeding came from the injured hymen.

otg,
OK, the “foreign fluid” was an attempt at avoiding jargon which backfired.

I still do not believe he was trying to differentiate between two different sexual assaults. (That's not to say that it isn't possible -- just that Meyer was not trying to say that.)
I believe he was attempting to avoid this issue completely hence the birefringent foreign material

Here is what Dr. McCann had to say about the object:
McCann believed that the object was forcefully jabbed in – not just shoved in.

OK, we have intent to injure, presumably?

I believe it was the paintbrush that was used before it was broken into pieces and used in the cord around her neck.
OK I'll buy that, except that birefringent foreign material was described as found inside JonBenet and further detailed as a splinter in Steve Thomas' book, which I think originated from the broken paintbrush?

I think the missing piece of the paintbrush was left inside JonBenet and was intended as staging!

otg,
OK, the “foreign fluid” was an attempt at avoiding jargon which backfired.

I believe he was attempting to avoid this issue completely hence the birefringent foreign material

OK I'll buy that, except that birefringent foreign material was described as found inside JonBenet and further detailed as a splinter in Steve Thomas' book, which I think originated from the broken paintbrush?

I think the missing piece of the paintbrush was left inside JonBenet and was intended as staging!

Although many believe it was from the missing end of the paintbrush, the “material” found inside Jonbenet was small enough that it could not be determined what it was from. Your belief that “the missing piece of the paintbrush was left inside JonBenet and was intended as staging” is contradicted by the evidence.

If the missing end of the paintbrush was inside Jonbenet, then it wouldn’t be missing.

In the photo below, the paintbrush in the middle is about the same size as the one used for the handle, and the white paper represents in actual size the length of the handle. Regardless of which paintbrush used, the tip, the missing piece, is probably about four inches long. Nothing like this was found inside Jonbenet, and I don’t think the evidence shows that she was penetrated to such depth.

DSCN1065.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

AK

We can speculate from now on about what Meyer was thinking and attempting to do when he wrote the AR. I’ll base my speculation on the “status” of the case at the time he did the autopsy.

The day after her body was “discovered”, when Meyer went into his lab to begin work, this case was not on the national news yet. There weren’t multiple forums where it was discussed at length and in detail about every single aspect and even the possible nuanced meanings behind some statement made, overheard, or reported. When Meyer began examining her body, he had no idea this would become the spectacle it became. He had no idea even that any of what he wrote in his report would ever be read by anyone outside of law enforcement. He didn’t write the report mindful of what information could be garnered from his words -- he was simply writing what he saw as he did his examination. Had he known at the time that it would be released publicly (and remember, he fought in court to have it suppressed), he simply would have not written in the AR anything he wanted kept quiet. If he wanted something not to be known outside of LE, he would have simply left it out of the official AR and written it only in his personal notes.

Intent? How do we know what the “intent” was? There again, we’re back to speculating about what was going on in someone’s mind. We know Dr. McCann related the appearance of the injuries with what he associated it with (a forceful jab), but are there not circumstances where the same type of injury might result from unintentional force? Imagine yourself trying to do something requiring a careful, steady hand with a knife. Can you imagine a sudden sound or something that might startle you causing an unintended movement with the knife? Would the possible resulting injury not be similar to what would be seen from an intentional swing with a knife? Even with as much confidence as I have in anything Dr. McCann might have had to say, I understand that he didn't know what was intended by the assailant -- he was simply trying to associate the appearance of the injury to an action that could be used to account for the result. He said "forcefully jabbed in – not just shoved in" (although I don't see much difference in the wording there). You presumed the intent.

I don’t think Thomas even uses the word “birefringent” in IRMI, much less connect it with the splinter he was the first to disclose existed. And I’m not so sure the splinter and the BFM are one in the same. I know it could be, but I’ve seen the BFM evolve over the years from talcum powder to cellulose, from cellulose to splinters, from splinters to shards of whittled wood, from shards of wood to the entire end of the paintbrush. I think Meyer was simply describing what he saw but couldn’t identify without further testing. The only thing he says about it in the AR is that some undisclosed amount (or size) of foreign material was found and that it has the physical property of being birefringent. He doesn’t even tie this BFM to a splinter or anything of a cellulose material.

I don’t have the time or inclination to compare the different accounts and try to figure out exactly how this all evolved. But I will point out that you should always pay close attention in any autopsy report to where something is written. The examination itself is divided into three sections: External, Internal, and Microscopic. This BFM is mentioned only in the Microscopic section where it lists what was examined or found with a microscope and the items collected as evidence.

My personal opinion is that the BFM is flecks of varnish that were left behind from insertion of the unbroken paintbrush. But until we find out something that makes it more conclusive, my opinion is no better than anyone else’s.

Here is what is written in the Bonita Papers, if you choose to accept (bbm):

PAINT BRUSH:

The Colorado Bureau of investigation analyzed and confirmed that the wooden stick used with the ligature rope is, in fact, the paint brush handle from the broken paint brush from the painting supply tray a critical second piece of weapon evidence that came from within the house. It was also noted that a portion of the paint brush handle, appearing to be from the top, is unaccounted for. No fingerprints were ever found on any portion of the paintbrush.

(Just as a side note: Isn’t it strange that there were no fingerprints found on Patsy’s paintbrush? Shouldn’t Patsy’s fingerprints be on Patsy’s paintbrush?)

Her FP should be on the paintbrush since if was hers. Must have gotten wiped down too along with the FL?

Of course the prints should be there because it was Patsy's brush and that is not in dispute. This goes right along with the wiped-down flashlight. The Rs said they had one "just like it" (JR's words) but didn't think this one was theirs. The wiped- down batteries is a clue, IMO- that is WAS theirs. It is one thing to wipe the flashlight clean of prints, but taking out the batteries and wiping them down as well is a step that NO intruder would take. Had the only flashlight been wiped clean, the batteries would reveal R prints and seal the deal as far as ownership. The paintbrush was treated the same way. No prints at all means it was wiped down. According to that report, both of the remaining pieces were found to be clean of prints. Patsy never denied the brush was hers- that would be difficult- the paint tote was filled with her art supplies and other brushes as well. To add "paint brush" to the list of things the "intruder" would have had to bring with him just adds more incredulity to the whole theory. But the act of wiping it down shoes a conscious effort to distance her from that brush. As far as the missing piece actually being found inside JB- we don't know that for a fact Is is possible? Of course. According to Steve Thomas, there were splinters inside her (noted as cellulose in the autopsy)that matched the broken brush, and small shards on the basement carpet next to the paint tote, which indicated it was broken right there. The birefringent material has been variously said to be talc possibly from a latex glove, tiny fragments of pain or varnish from the brush. Patsy had latex gloves in her bathroom, as she sometimes colored her own hair.
We know there is some information LE wish to keep secret-things only a person there at the time would know. Possibly the brush being inside her is one of these things, but I cannot imagine after all these years that this information didn't get out somehow. It was one of the ways they knew JMK was NOT JB's killer as he claimed to be. He just didn't know anything that anyone who followed the case didn't know- his info was public knowledge.

Heyya otg

I believe it was the paintbrush that was used before it was broken into pieces and used in the cord around her neck.- otg

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/for...uot-Unedited-Notes-From-Ramsey-Case-Documents

Yes McCann was "The doctor [who] also stated that he assumed the object did not have jagged edges because there were no evidence of tears in the bruised area."
Think about it... McCann is addressing only the small bruised area in this section. If something is pressed with enough force to cause a bruise, any sharp edges would certainly cause tears, cuts, or punctures. That is why (IMO) McCann makes the conclusion about the object that he explains here. Because of microscopic evidence that the paintbrush had been inserted in her vagina, he was addressing the question as to whether it was done after the ends of the brush had been broken off. His conclusion is that it was most likely done with an unbroken end -- which of course suggests the missing piece of paintbrush.

Q: wouldn't a fingernail cause tears?
Yes, IMO a fingernail could cause tearing, depending on the physical characteristics of the tissue affected. But McCann uses the word "fingernail" in describing the size of the bruise (which I would agree is confusing). But then he stated that he didn't believe this bruise was caused by a finger because of the appearance of the edges of the bruise. Here are his words from the Bonita Papers:

Although the bruised area would indicate something about the size of a finger nail, he did not believe it was a finger, because of the well demarcated edges of the bruise indicating an object much firmer than a finger.

It's my opinion that the paintbrush was being used while it was all in one piece. It had nothing to do with the strangulation. Once she was dead, the paintbrush was broken into three pieces and the center piece was tied to the cord that had strangled her. The brush end was casually dropped into the art tray/tote, and the important end piece was discarded or carried out of the house never to be seen again. It could be wiped of fingerprints, but the bodily fluids would be absorbed into the fibers of the wood. At the time this staging was being done, the purpose was to obscure the sexual nature of what had happened. I don't think they knew or expected that a gynecological examination would be done by the coroner. Otherwise, why bother wiping away the blood?

Of course the prints should be there because it was Patsy's brush and that is not in dispute. This goes right along with the wiped-down flashlight. The Rs said they had one "just like it" (JR's words) but didn't think this one was theirs. The wiped- down batteries is a clue, IMO- that is WAS theirs. It is one thing to wipe the flashlight clean of prints, but taking out the batteries and wiping them down as well is a step that NO intruder would take. Had the only flashlight been wiped clean, the batteries would reveal R prints and seal the deal as far as ownership. The paintbrush was treated the same way. No prints at all means it was wiped down. According to that report, both of the remaining pieces were found to be clean of prints. Patsy never denied the brush was hers- that would be difficult- the paint tote was filled with her art supplies and other brushes as well. To add "paint brush" to the list of things the "intruder" would have had to bring with him just adds more incredulity to the whole theory. But the act of wiping it down shoes a conscious effort to distance her from that brush. As far as the missing piece actually being found inside JB- we don't know that for a fact Is is possible? Of course. According to Steve Thomas, there were splinters inside her (noted as cellulose in the autopsy)that matched the broken brush, and small shards on the basement carpet next to the paint tote, which indicated it was broken right there. The birefringent material has been variously said to be talc possibly from a latex glove, tiny fragments of pain or varnish from the brush. Patsy had latex gloves in her bathroom, as she sometimes colored her own hair.
We know there is some information LE wish to keep secret-things only a person there at the time would know. Possibly the brush being inside her is one of these things, but I cannot imagine after all these years that this information didn't get out somehow. It was one of the ways they knew JMK was NOT JB's killer as he claimed to be. He just didn't know anything that anyone who followed the case didn't know- his info was public knowledge.

No fingerprints found could simply mean that no prints of evidentiary value were found. It does not mean that an object was wiped. We should all know this by now.

There is no evidence or reason to believe that the missing piece of the paintbrush was left inside the victim.

AK

I think the evidence is more indicative of the penetration occurring after the paintbrush was broken. The hair entwined in the cord wrapped around the handle and pulled from the victim’s head and neck area (as per Kolar) strongly suggests that the handle was used to pull the garrote tight. The asphyxiation which would have taken several minutes and would have occurred hands-free after the initial pull. The molestation occurred at or near point of death. Together, this would mean that the penetration probably occurred during the asphyxiation, which in turn means that the handle would have to have been already broken.

AK

I think the evidence is more indicative of the penetration occurring after the paintbrush was broken. The hair entwined in the cord wrapped around the handle and pulled from the victim’s head and neck area (as per Kolar) strongly suggests that the handle was used to pull the garrote tight. The asphyxiation which would have taken several minutes and would have occurred hands-free after the initial pull. The molestation occurred at or near point of death. Together, this would mean that the penetration probably occurred during the asphyxiation, which in turn means that the handle would have to have been already broken.

AK

The coroner noted that he had to CUT the cord from her and in doing so may have cut some hair, but I agree that the handle was used to pull the cord. This wasn't a real garrote- the handle here was used like a handle- I envision the handle being used to wrap the cord around her neck, with the first loop actually tied tightly in place. Then a second loop was made, using the handle to wind the cord and at this point it was pulled tight. Whoever did the pulling would have inadvertently caught some hair as they did so. I am not so sure it would have been hands-free, as I think the pressure would have to be maintained, but this was done to an already unconscious child. There was no struggle (regardless of the babble on the internet). The circumferential ligature furrows, combined with the lack of struggle against the tape- and we can't be certain whether the tape was put on before or after the strangulation anyway. All we know for a fact is that there was no sign of struggle against it. While she was alive for any sexual abuse that night (dead people don't bruise and bruising was noted in the vagina and on the labia, there was also a bruise on her rear shoulder, suggesting someone knelt or pressed against it during the strangulation) she may have not been alive when and if the paintbrush was jabbed into her. There was a remarkable lack of horrible injury in the vagina, and I would have expected to see much more laceration, as well as evidence of bleeding had she been alive and had a broken, splintery paintbrush forcefully jabbed into her. I hope she was NOT alive for it, because even unconscious or dead, this poor baby was subject to horrible abuse.

DeeDee249,
Excellent analysis. Could not do better myself. Only proviso is fingerprints on the brush which might be expected to be splattered with paint?

I go with LE holding back some stuff so differentiate the kookies from the real deal, its standard practise, even if they say we do not do such stuff, they have to, so to avoid an avalanche of I Did It claims.

The coroner noted that he had to CUT the cord from her and in doing so may have cut some hair, but I agree that the handle was used to pull the cord. This wasn't a real garrote- the handle here was used like a handle- I envision the handle being used to wrap the cord around her neck, with the first loop actually tied tightly in place. Then a second loop was made, using the handle to wind the cord and at this point it was pulled tight. Whoever did the pulling would have inadvertently caught some hair as they did so. I am not so sure it would have been hands-free, as I think the pressure would have to be maintained, but this was done to an already unconscious child. There was no struggle (regardless of the babble on the internet). The circumferential ligature furrows, combined with the lack of struggle against the tape- and we can't be certain whether the tape was put on before or after the strangulation anyway. All we know for a fact is that there was no sign of struggle against it. While she was alive for any sexual abuse that night (dead people don't bruise and bruising was noted in the vagina and on the labia, there was also a bruise on her rear shoulder, suggesting someone knelt or pressed against it during the strangulation) she may have not been alive when and if the paintbrush was jabbed into her. There was a remarkable lack of horrible injury in the vagina, and I would have expected to see much more laceration, as well as evidence of bleeding had she been alive and had a broken, splintery paintbrush forcefully jabbed into her. I hope she was NOT alive for it, because even unconscious or dead, this poor baby was subject to horrible abuse.
The coroner cut the cord around the neck. The hair entwined in the knot around the neck was also cut. The hair entwined in the cord wrapped around the handle was not cut, it was pulled (see Kolar) from the victim’s neck and head when it was pulled to tighten the garrote.

Yes, after the initial pull the garrote would have worked hands-free. There should be no doubt about this, and the proof is in the fact that the garrote remained tight and embedded around the neck for hours and hours after it was first tightened, it remained so until the coroner cut it free.

I don’t think we should see the sort of damage you expect if the unbroken end of the paintbrush was used, and if it was only inserted minimally. A jab, sort of.

AK

If (going by anyhoo's) theory(hope its ok I mentioned you? :) could the small foreign faction be the people involved in the cover up be referring to themselves? And maybe SBTC means something for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BROTHEROFLISA
Back