AZ AZ - Joann Dudek, 64, disappearance suspicious, missing 6 weeks and not reported by family, Anthem, 13 Nov 2022

ANTHEM, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) — It’s been nearly one year since the bizarre disappearance of an Anthem woman. Her family is flying in from across the country this weekend to hold a vigil and mark an anniversary they certainly never wanted. Investigators said JoAnn Dudek vanished last year under suspicious circumstances, and the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the case as a homicide.

<modsnip - snipped for copyright, more at link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!! There hasn't been much on this case in the news, so I am very surprised to learn the husband passed away. It sounds like there is no way his death is suspicious, but I wonder what he knew of his wife's disappearance. It is so strange that he didn't report her missing. So very sad!

ANTHEM, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) — It’s been nearly one year since the bizarre disappearance of an Anthem woman. Her family is flying in from across the country this weekend to hold a vigil and mark an anniversary they certainly never wanted. Investigators said JoAnn Dudek vanished last year under suspicious circumstances, and the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the case as a homicide.

RSBM

From this article:

Dudek lived in Anthem and last year was getting ready to visit Murtha and other family in New York City for the holidays. “She was actually talking to my mom the evening of Nov. 13. They were text messaging with each other about this upcoming trip and flights, and that’s the last time my family heard from JoAnn,” said Murtha.

I wonder if the investigation showed any signs that she was planning this trip?? Any tickets purchased or any searches for flights? How much did the investigators invest in to this disappearance?

Also, this tidbit caught my interest...

This Sunday, Murtha and the rest of her family will honor JoAnn’s life with a vigil in Anthem and want to remind the community they won’t stop until they get answers as to what happened to her. She also said because of the investigation, there are things she can’t publicly say or comment on yet but hopes to be able to soon.

RSBM

From this article:

Dudek lived in Anthem and last year was getting ready to visit Murtha and other family in New York City for the holidays. “She was actually talking to my mom the evening of Nov. 13. They were text messaging with each other about this upcoming trip and flights, and that’s the last time my family heard from JoAnn,” said Murtha.

I wonder if the investigation showed any signs that she was planning this trip?? Any tickets purchased or any searches for flights? How much did the investigators invest in to this disappearance?

Also, this tidbit caught my interest...

This Sunday, Murtha and the rest of her family will honor JoAnn’s life with a vigil in Anthem and want to remind the community they won’t stop until they get answers as to what happened to her. She also said because of the investigation, there are things she can’t publicly say or comment on yet but hopes to be able to soon.
Does the "rest of the family" include the daughter?

That article says the case is in the hands of the homocide unit.

Thanksgiving came and went, and Murtha’s family filed a missing persons report from out of state. MCSO quickly moved the investigation to their homicide unit. “That was when we really knew that something was wrong,” Murtha said with tears in her eyes.
Also -
Murtha said their family does not believe JoAnn made it anywhere outside Arizona and that they don’t believe a stranger is involved.

Does the "rest of the family" include the daughter?
This article answers your question.

At a vigil on the street where she lives, her sisters, brother, nieces and friends shared their favorite stories. The only person missing from the crowd was JoAnn’s adopted daughter.

Bringing everyone's attention back to the article from post 1, it's very interesting now that we know this is a homicide investigation.

JoAnn Shanahan Dudek​

dudek_joann.jpg
dudek_joann2.jpg
dudek_joann3.jpg
dudek_joann4.jpg
dudek_joann6.jpg

Dudek, circa 2022
  • Missing Since 11/13/2022
  • Missing From Anthem, Arizona
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race White
  • Age 64 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7, 130 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Dudek suffers from depression and was planning to seek professional help for her condition at the time of her disappearance.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Graying blonde hair, blue eyes.

Details of Disappearance​

Dudek was last seen at her home in Anthem, Arizona by her husband on November 13, 2022. She and her husband slept in separate bedrooms. He stated he saw her in bed asleep in her bedroom after 10:00 p.m. that day. By the following morning, she was gone.

She left her vehicle, wallet and cellular phone behind, but her husband stated she had taken her passport, a couple of changes of clothes, and a credit card. Authorities also believe she may have left the house that day with a new phone. No information is known about the new phone, but Dudek's daughter stated Dudek caled her shortly after leaving to say she was in an unspecified rehabilitation facility. She has never been heard from again.

Since Dudek's disappearance there has been no activity on her financial or credit reports. She had plans for the future at the time of her disappearance, including visiting relatives in New York City for the holidays, and had been texting family members about the travel arrangements. She was close to her adopted daughter and her nieces and nephews.

A fwe weeks after Dudek's disappearance, her husband was diagnosed with a brain disease. He died in April 2023 at the age of 67.

The circumstances of her disappearance are unclear. Her niece stated she does not believe she left the state of Arizona and she believes someone known to Dudek is involved in her case. Her disappearance remains unsolved.

Last updated December 13, 2023; casefile added.

Do we know what special needs her daughter has? Only reason I'm asking is because I found it odd that is who she called to tell her about rehab
I think whatever challenges she has, they made her credulous enough to believe it was her mother on the phone when it definitely was not. IMO JMO MOO I think Joann had already come to harm at the hands of someone very close to her by the time of the call. And I think whoever did it knew they could get the daughter I believe it was mom on the phone to obfuscate the timeline.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back