VA - Hannah Elizabeth Graham, 18, Charlottesville, 13 Sept 2014 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Stones, Can you provide an example from this site where someone has alleged that JM is a POI because of his race and for no other reason? I think this is a straw man argument that could be put to bed.

It's not hard to find but there has been a lot of talk about why 2 men were following her and only the black guy is the suspect. A lot of talk about this being Virginia and being the south and a lot of talk about race as being one of the reasons that JM is afraid to cooperate and a lot of talk about the possibility of him being innocent and uncooperative because a black man doesn't get a fair shake. Even a lot of talk about the innocent project and percentage of black people (vs. whites) who are exonerated by DNA evidence.

My point is that I find all that irrelevant. I don't care if people call me naive, I don't see race as any part of this. My point is that it is his behavior that makes him look guilty vs. other people who came in contact with her that night. Maybe he's innocent and WG did it. I don't proclaim to know but I think anyone saying that the way LE is treating him because of this nation's racial history, are the ones who are being naive to facts.

blefuscu asks:
"So why shouldn't he speak to LE and clear his name if he's got nothing to hide?"

Because "anything you say can and will be used AGAINST you in a court of law" — innocent or not. There is no guarantee or expectation that speaking to police will resolve your situation.

So no-one should ever speak to the police? How would cases ever move forward if everyone took that attitude? He could have a lawyer there with him. He could hold massively important information that could progress this case, and if he's innocent lead LE to the real culprit (if there is one and Hannah hasn't just had a tragic accident).

I just read on the previous thread that Melissa Hipolit(guess she's news reporter) that undercover cops were spotted at a coffee shop. IMO totally irresponsible.

Going to the DMV for a photo and license renewal... see, he's cooperating with authorites :drumroll:

His license wouldn't be up for renewal yet. It is interesting that he went to DMV, I don't know what for but interesting no less. lol

At some point if nothing is found around C-ville the search has to be expanded...but thats where it gets tricky. Its only a 30 or 45 minute drive west and you are in George Washington National Forest or Shenandoah....not the best scenario for a recovery.

some messages of support from friends on his FB page have disappeared in comments section under his photo of a black screen, I guess they don't want to be looked up, which is understandable

I think the police are doing a horrible job ..... why are they talking so much ? Why are they so sure that JLM is their man if they have no proof ?

they should not make it look like JLM is their man until they are sure. This reminds me of Richard Jewel.

Just what I have been thinking bingo, "Richard Jewel." Which is why I remain, very very careful.

So no-one should ever speak to the police? How would cases ever move forward if everyone took that attitude? He could have a lawyer there with him. He could hold massively important information that could progress this case, and if he's innocent lead LE to the real culprit (if there is one and Hannah hasn't just had a tragic accident).

It is each person's prerogative to speak to the police. It isn't the "right" thing or "wrong" thing to do as much as we would like to find Hannah and would love for someone to come forward and say "SHE IS RIGHT HERE!", we have to respect that there are multiple layers to this situation. It may be your opinion that everyone should offer up everything they know instantly, but that isn't the opinion other people have when looking at it from other angles, even if that is what we would like to happen.

I think the police are doing a horrible job ..... why are they talking so much ? Why are they so sure that JLM is their man if they have no proof ?

they should not make it look like JLM is their man until they are sure. This reminds me of Richard Jewel.

In most cases, LE doesn't talk at all and we are left here to wonder and whine about not getting any information. I find it refreshing that LE is giving us so much. At the beginning, they did that in the Erin Corwin case as well, up to and including leaking the first search warrants contents. IMO.

They aren't sure he's their man. He is, however, a person of interest who knows the police want to talk to him, is refusing to co-operate and has disappeared.

Uh, did you read the last thing I wrote? And yeah, a DEFENSE attorney is going to say that the best thing he can do to NOT incriminate himself is to lie low. Just because an attorney is advising his client on what's best to avoid actually getting convicted to a crime is pretty much irrelevant in my book as to what the right thing is to do ethically and what would have been the right thing to do to help find this girl.

When you are being questioned by police when something serious has happened, yes, you had better get a good DEFENSE attorney so that you don't find yourself an innocent suspect, as well as those who are guilty not getting caught. LE are not all that smart. They have tunnel vision and too often when someone is in their sights, they don't take anything else into consideration. It's smart to have an attorney on the scene to avoid any problems. Not even thinking about conviciton but suspicion and accusation. Yes, I've seen the one not lawyered up before talking get the rap when it's a group thing, and sometimes wrongfully. They are not always right and even if cleared those under suspicion can go through a lot of trauma and damage.

JM might not have any info to help find the girl, but he also might not have an alibi for himself and being the last to have seen her, could end up with a lot of trouble. I am saying this even as I do believe that his situation looks pretty bad to me. LE needs find the evidence to seal the deal and make sure they operate ethcially so that the case is not dropped by technicality if JM did indeed have something to do with Hannah's disappearance. And they need to eliminate JM as a suspect so they can go on and look for the real perp if he can be cleared. JM's job is to make sure he does not get himself into more trouble if he is innocent and though I hate to say it, get himeself off the hook if he is not. LE can make it easy for him to get off by overstepping bounds. I've known some cases where perps deliberately bait and distract dumb LE into doing that. It happens more than one would think. So LE needs to be careful and do the right thing ethically.

In my experience (have never lived in VA) your license does not necessarily expire on your birthday, unless you got it on your birthday (mine does not). Maybe when you turn 18 or 21 it automatically expires because you need a new one to reflect that you are legally an adult or can legally drink. But after that.. not everybody has a license that expires on their birthday.

JMO, IDK why he would be getting a new license. Parttimesleuther listed all the possible reasons I could think of above.

Hmmm.....wonder if that DMV pic was a scheduled DL renewal or because his previous license had expired. He doesn't have a very good record of keeping his car inspected and his registration renewed from his criminal records. Interesting the pic was taken one week after Hannah disappeared. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member