Malaysia airlines 370 with 239 people on board, 8 March 2014 #25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh ... I wish they'd quit pointing out how much money has been spent on this so-far-fruitless search. It is a real sore point here in Australia. We are carrying out our international SAR responsibilities, but many people are not happy about the huge spend when other areas need that money so much. And I read an article last week that inferred that, if this operation does not pan out, 'governments' would need to see their way forward in this matter.

ATSB's Martin Dolan said, "If at the end of that we haven't found MH370, then it's really going to be a matter for governments to decide what's next what resources they might wish to supply and I can't really preempt what that discussion might be."

http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/1...malaysian-airlines-flight-370-still-found.htm

(This is not the actual article I read .. the one I read had lots of Aussie comments under it which showed the general feeling .. but that article seems to have disappeared.)

... I wish they'd quit pointing out how much money has been spent on this so-far-fruitless search....

At least they're starting this phase of the search in an area that's received independent corroboration as the most likely area. Additionally, there was a lot of debris sighted there last March, although nothing was left by the time ships got there....

Oh ... I wish they'd quit pointing out how much money has been spent on this so-far-fruitless search. It is a real sore point here in Australia. We are carrying out our international SAR responsibilities, but many people are not happy about the huge spend when other areas need that money so much. And I read an article last week that inferred that, if this operation does not pan out, 'governments' would need to see their way forward in this matter.

(This is not the actual article I read .. the one I read had lots of Aussie comments under it which showed the general feeling .. but that article seems to have disappeared.)

Do you remember anything about the article you read? It may still be available on google cache.
I can't even imagine what it will do to your country. The US is broke due to helping other countries.

At least they're starting this phase of the search in an area that's received independent corroboration as the most likely area. Additionally, there was a lot of debris sighted there last March, although nothing was left by the time ships got there....

This whole disaster was mishandled from the start. Had Malaysia been honest; they would not have lost so much time & may have been able to find it within 30 days. I am sure this is a lesson to everyone on what not to do if it happens again.

Pretty sure I had asked a while ago if the search area was where debris were sighted

Thanks,
I too read about this yesterday in an Australian news source.
Sir Tim Clark, Emirates Air CEO is questioning the satellite handshakes, the search location and that no debris has been located...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/airline-boss-mh370-may-not-be-in-indian-ocean/ar-BB8IBp3

"MH370 was, in my opinion, under control, probably until the very end," he said.

He added: "Our experience tells us that in water incidents, where the aircraft has gone down, there is always something.

"We have not seen a single thing that suggests categorically that this aircraft is where they say it is, apart from this so-called electronic satellite 'handshake', which I question as well."

Emirates chief Tim Clark reveals suspicions over true fate of missing flight MH370

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...ing-flight-mh370/story-fnizu68q-1227086741053 OCT 10, 2014

Instead, Sir Tim (Tim Clark) believes it is far more likely that “MH370 was under control, probably until the very end”, questions the veracity of the “so-called electronic satellite ‘handshake’” used by analysts to pinpoint the probable crash site and insists the mysterious cargo in the hold (removed from the manifest by Malaysian authorities) is a crucial clue to the puzzle.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/mh370-e...bably-until-the-very-end-20141011-114llv.html OCT 11, 2014

MH370: Emirates Airlines head Tim Clark says missing plane was 'under control, probably until the very end'

ATSB chief commissioner Martin Dolan said while there was no certainty, there was a "high probability" that the wreckage of the plane would be found in the new search area.
"[Clark] is correct. No one can be categorical," Mr Dolan said.
"There are a range of scenarios that would fit the data, it's just that some are more likely than others and there is a high probability that the aircraft will be found close to the ark," Mr Dolan said.

Emirates operates more Boeing 777 jets than any other airline in the world.

Mr Clark said manufacturers needed to make it impossible for communications and tracking devices on the flight deck to be disabled, so monitoring of aircraft could continue uninterrupted regardless of who was in control.

"I do not subscribe to the view that the Boeing 777, which is one of the most advanced in the world and has the most advanced communication platforms, needs to be improved with the introduction of some kind of additional tracking system," Mr Clark said.
"MH370 should never have been allowed to enter a non-trackable situation."

Emirates chief Tim Clark reveals suspicions over true fate of missing flight MH370

There's nothing new about this; Clark first voiced his opinions in June. Be aware that Clark (and the other aviation officials who reported support his views) is by no means a disinterested party: He vehemently denies that the MH370 incident shows the need for costly upgrades to tracking equipment and is flatly opposed to making such upgrades. I'm surprised he didn't go on to say, "If you force us to install new tracking equipment, I'll make you pay for it by installing 14-abreast seating in our A380s."

DANICA Weeks, whose husband was onboard Flight MH370 when it vanished, has rejected an offer of $50,000 compensation from Malaysia Airlines.

The Perth mother-of-two, pictured, said the airline offered the money on the condition that families of missing passengers complete a detailed questionnaire.

Mrs Weeks said she received legal advice not to accept the initial compensation at this stage, describing the offer as a “catch 22” situation.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...-of-husband-paul/story-fnhocxo3-1227087617435

DANICA Weeks Weeks, whose husband was onboard Flight MH370 when it vanished, has rejected an offer of $50,000 compensation from Malaysia Airlines.... http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...-of-husband-paul/story-fnhocxo3-1227087617435

Considering the appalling disorganization and lack of transparency exhibited by Malaysian officials and the airline at the time of MH370's disappearance, I personally wouldn't cooperate with anything coming from them. There are credible allegations of a coverup... which, incidentally, Tim Clark was obliquely referring to in his widely quoted statements this week.. and they're Clark's veiled accusations are included in this article, too (see link).

Considering the appalling disorganization and lack of transparency exhibited by Malaysian officials and the airline at the time of MH370's disappearance, I personally wouldn't cooperate with anything coming from them. There are credible allegations of a coverup... which, incidentally, Tim Clark was obliquely referring to in his widely quoted statements this week.. and they're Clark's veiled accusations are included in this article, too (see link).

Totally agree Bryan9 I wouldn't sign this either but unfortunately but for some a relative being missing presumed dead for so long will have caused significant financial hardship for many families that they may be forced to sign for the money. I can't believe we are now in mid October and still no significant developments. The families of everyone on board must be going through h*ll everyday not knowing what happened to their loved one. What a disaster of a year for Malaysian Airlines I am surprised they are still operating without filing for bankruptcy.

I'd like to see that questionnaire.....

After 216 days at sea searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, Chinese vessel Haixun 01 is now in its base port in Shanghai having arrived on Sunday.

In searching for MH370, the ship was tasked to scour areas including the Strait of Malacca, Sunda Strait, west of Indonesia and south of the Indian Ocean. It travelled 22,371 nautical miles and traverse more than 240,000 square km of waters.

According to the China Maritime Search and Rescue Centre, its crew was unyielding despite severe weather conditions at sea. They remained responsible and diligent with their duty, utilising the technologies, deep-water equipment and satellites in search of the missing flight.

China has deployed the largest number of forces and resources for the search, Ma Liedong, commander of the ship's search force said. The country had deployed a total of 19 ships, eight helicopters and five fixed-wing planes to search for the missing Boeing 777.

The China Maritime Search and Rescue Center and Australia's Joint Agency Coordination Center will hold telephone conferences every week, and China will send more personnel to join the search ....

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/5693...e-latest-news-chinese-vessel.htm#.VD4Py_mUceg

Australian authorities released their first update on the latest underwater probe for missing flight MH370 Wednesday, saying more than 670 square kilometres (260 square miles) had been searched without success.

"GO Phoenix continues to conduct underwater search operations," the ATSB said.

"At one point, operations were halted in order to recover the deep tow vehicle and rectify a cable connection fault. Operations were quickly recommenced."

A second ship, the Fugro Discovery, is conducting sea trials and is expected to join the search mid next week in the second most likely area, officials have said.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...of-underwater-search/articleshow/44821645.cms

When they were mapping the area, I understood they were using some kind of sonar like equipment that would bounce some kind of reflection off from anything on the sea floor. They would then calculate the depth and eventually a relief of what the bottom looked like. Would that work something like a fish finder? In all that mapping, there was one incident where it didn't seem like a normal sea floor. Is that where they are searching now?

Inmarsat scientists, led by Chris Ashton, have published a scientific paper fully explaining, for the first time, how they employed the aircraft-to-satellite pings to track MH370 to the southern Indian ocean. Although much of the paper requires some mathematical literacy, it is exceptionally well written and illustrated and will be comprehensible to most readers. It's great science and equally great science writing. The authors frankly and clearly explain how the flight tracking model evolved over time with successive refinements, resulting in multiple redefinitions of the priority search area. The paper ends, however, on a cautionary note:

The analysis presented in this paper indicates that MH370 changed course shortly after it passed the Northern tip of Sumatra and travelled in a southerly direction until it ran out of fuel in the southern Indian Ocean west of Australia. A potential flight path has been reconstructed that is consistent with the satellite data, indicating a last contact location of 34·7°S and 93·0°E, but it is stressed that the sensitivity of the reconstructed flight path to frequency errors is such that there remains significant uncertainty in the final location.

--Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member