8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh she definitely drank regularly I'm sure of that. They probably both did actually. And so what? They drank. That's ok. Admit it. But I also don't she she made a regular habit out of picking her kids up and driving around sloshed or getting through a presentation at work by hitting the bottle etc. But she did on July 26, 2009. So why? What made her go to that extreme? I really think the family could help others by talking openly about it. But they probably never will.
She did what she did that day with determination. Will we ever get the real story? It's too easy to dismiss her as a drunk bi#&h with no regard for others but there certainly is a back story there that we are not getting.

In the book by the other victims' family, they suggested she was angry with her brother for having contact with their mother. It's a reasonable guess, but without more info it's impossible to know. It's been a while since I read the book. She was either an evil woman or had some kind of sudden onset psychosis.

Oh she definitely drank regularly I'm sure of that. They probably both did actually. And so what? They drank. That's ok. Admit it. But I also don't she she made a regular habit out of picking her kids up and driving around sloshed or getting through a presentation at work by hitting the bottle etc. But she did on July 26, 2009. So why? What made her go to that extreme? I really think the family could help others by talking openly about it. But they probably never will.
She did what she did that day with determination. Will we ever get the real story? It's too easy to dismiss her as a drunk bi#&h with no regard for others but there certainly is a back story there that we are not getting.

Okay, but your post to which I replied stated she was "not a habitual drunk." I believe she well may have been a habitual drunk, yet was still able to be completely responsible with her job, her kids, and her other tasks during the day. In fact, I think that was probably very likely to be the case. And really, if someone wants to get loaded at night after they have fulfilled all of their responsibilities (and it sounds like she carried 99% of that burden and handled it spectacularly), who am I to judge?

Unfortunately, we all know what happened on potentially the first and only time she threw all that out the window.

The thread is too long for me to go back and double-check to see if this has already been posted but I don't recall it. I apologize if it's a duplicate.

http://http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/policereport/schuler,%20diane_police_report.pdf

It was especially sad to hear that the Hances' attorney contacted LE in August of 2009 because the article in People implied that Kate had been alive and conscious for some time after the crash. This caused them additional, unnecessary grief before it was confirmed to be untrue by a paramedic early on the scene.

Okay, but your post to which I replied stated she was "not a habitual drunk." I believe she well may have been a habitual drunk, yet was still able to be completely responsible with her job, her kids, and her other tasks during the day. In fact, I think that was probably very likely to be the case. And really, if someone wants to get loaded at night after they have fulfilled all of their responsibilities (and it sounds like she carried 99% of that burden and handled it spectacularly), who am I to judge?

Unfortunately, we all know what happened on potentially the first and only time she threw all that out the window.

I read somewhere that Diane had a tooth abscess. If that is true, she may have been in extreme pain. Two of my adult children have experienced a tooth abscess while on a trip and the pain brought them to tears.

If that's why Diane drank that morning and also smoked the marijuana, then it would also explain why several motorists spotted her by the side of the road as though she had vomited. A habitual drinker can tolerate more alcohol in their system than someone who only drinks occasionally. If she wasn't used to drinking and drank a lot in a short period of time, she would be poisoning herself and not be aware of it just as she wasn't aware she was on the wrong side of the road.

JMO

I read somewhere that Diane had a tooth abscess. If that is true, she may have been in extreme pain. Two of my adult children have experienced a tooth abscess while on a trip and the pain brought them to tears.

If that's why Diane drank that morning and also smoked the marijuana, then it would also explain why several motorists spotted her by the side of the road as though she had vomited. A habitual drinker can tolerate more alcohol in their system than someone who only drinks occasionally. If she wasn't used to drinking and drank a lot in a short period of time, she would be poisoning herself and not be aware of it just as she wasn't aware she was on the wrong side of the road.

JMO

It has never been established that Diane had a tooth abscess. It was proposed as a possibility by Daniel at one time, and it took off on the internet as if it were established fact. In his initial statements to police, Daniel stated that Diane was healthy with no issues. This is found in the link referenced above in post 1968. Later we heard the tooth abscess theory, the traveling leg ulcer theory, the stroke theory, the gestational diabetes theory (two years after she gave birth no less), etc. The autopsy report makes a point of describing her teeth and how they were damaged. No mention of an abscess in the autopsy, no evidence of a stroke, no evidence of diabetes.

Those witnesses stated that someone who they THOUGHT might be Diane was hunched over as though she were vomiting. They did not see her vomit.

In any case, alcoholics have a high tolerance, but they are not immune to vomiting when they drink too much.

It has never been established that Diane had a tooth abscess. It was proposed as a possibility by Daniel at one time, and it took off on the internet as if it were established fact. In his initial statements to police, Daniel stated that Diane was healthy with no issues. This is found in the link referenced above in post 1968. Later we heard the tooth abscess theory, the traveling leg ulcer theory, the stroke theory, the gestational diabetes theory (two years after she gave birth no less), etc. The autopsy report makes a point of describing her teeth and how they were damaged. No mention of an abscess in the autopsy, no evidence of a stroke, no evidence of diabetes.

Those witnesses stated that someone who they THOUGHT might be Diane was hunched over as though she were vomiting. They did not see her vomit.

In any case, alcoholics have a high tolerance, but they are not immune to vomiting when they drink too much.

I just remember seeing the abscess mentioned and it was in an article that talked about how she tried to purchase an over-the-counter pain killer and couldn't. I wouldn't pull over with a carload of small kids and try to purchase a pain killer unless I actually was in pain. I don't find it a stretch to believe the woman actually was in serious discomfort.

I haven't seen the other theories and they don't really fit the set of circumstances but the tooth abscess does. She may have mentioned the pain to her husband. I doubt it would show up on the autopsy report unless they X-rayed her teeth. My daughter is 28, in good health and a tooth abscess came on very suddenly several weeks ago and she had to have an emergency root canal. She said the pain was excruciating and nothing helped relieve the pain. I've never had a tooth abscess so I took her word for it.

Weren't there multiple witnesses who spotted both her vehicle and the person they thought was Diane outside the vehicle hunched over? Alcoholics can tolerate a high consumption of alcohol and don't vomit. Novice drinkers such as college students, do vomit because they drink too much, too fast.

JMO

IIRC, the "abscessed tooth" theory arose from a report that DS walked out in the middle of a root canal. Now a root canal may be done before an abscess forms, but if it isn't completed and capped properly, an abscess can still result. I don't know how an autopsy would check for such a thing (MyBelle is right, I think, that an xray would be required) or whether a coroner is set up to check such things as a rule.

IIRC, the "abscessed tooth" theory arose from a report that DS walked out in the middle of a root canal. Now a root canal may be done before an abscess forms, but if it isn't completed and capped properly, an abscess can still result. I don't know how an autopsy would check for such a thing (MyBelle is right, I think, that an xray would be required) or whether a coroner is set up to check such things as a rule.

The coroner looked at her teeth in the autopsy. It absolutely does NOT take an xray to see an abscess. Especially one that was supposedly that bad. It would be seen to even a novice eye looking at teeth.

I just remember seeing the abscess mentioned and it was in an article that talked about how she tried to purchase an over-the-counter pain killer and couldn't.

IIRC, That was also never substantiated, because the clerk refused to speak to the state police, and the tape of that exchange had no audio (this is noted in police report linked above). Nevertheless it gained ground on the internet and eventually was assumed to be gospel truth. BTW, ever been to a gas station/convenience store that didn't have pain killers in those little individual dose envelopes?

Alcoholics can tolerate a high consumption of alcohol and don't vomit.

BBM

That's simply not true. Ever worked in an ER on a Saturday night?

I am still surprised that no one from the gas station/convenience store ever spoke to the media about their encounter with Diane. There is no audio only the visual tape IIRC...........she points to her head OR could have been touching her hair......and for a mom of two she had no first aid kit of anykind with kids tylenol at the very least........

I am still surprised that no one from the gas station/convenience store ever spoke to the media about their encounter with Diane. There is no audio only the visual tape IIRC...........she points to her head OR could have been touching her hair......and for a mom of two she had no first aid kit of anykind with kids tylenol at the very least........

People have speculated over and over about why she would ask for pain medication (which as noted before has never been established as fact). There was the tooth abscess theory as well as the simple possibility that she was hung over.

In any case, none of that really provides mitigating circumstances. If she was in such bad pain that she felt she couldn't cope, she should have called someone to help her out. Her husband would have been a good start. Presumably she was sober when this unbearable pain started. What sober person who is not normally a big drinker even thinks of drinking alcohol to relieve pain while driving a van full of kids somewhere? That wouldn't occur to most non-drinkers as an option to reject. It would never even enter their mind.

Whether or not she was in pain really is a non issue in the big picture, because she had other more reasonable options at her disposal to address this , particularly as she was noted to be such a responsible, competent, intelligent, resourceful and incredible mom and loving aunt.

I think the McDonalds servers said she appeared fine, its noted above that the clerk at the conv store would not talk to the police.

IMO - I don't think that if any of these folks had thought she may have been tispy, and then didn't do anything about it (i.e. call 911 or try to stop her) that they'd admit that once it became known that she was later found to be drunk and drugged driving after murdering seven innocent people. They could have also been worried about Daniel and his attorneys suing them like he is suing his BIL and NY State.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/taconi...super-mom-perfectionist-hbo/story?id=14152213

"Two years after the horrific Taconic State Parkway crash, the husband of Diane Schuler is suing New York State and the father of three nieces who were killed when the Long Island mother drove the wrong way, slamming head-on into another vehicle and killing eight."

People have speculated over and over about why she would ask for pain medication (which as noted before has never been established as fact). There was the tooth abscess theory as well as the simple possibility that she was hung over.

In any case, none of that really provides mitigating circumstances. If she was in such bad pain that she felt she couldn't cope, she should have called someone to help her out. Her husband would have been a good start. Presumably she was sober when this unbearable pain started. What sober person who is not normally a big drinker even thinks of drinking alcohol to relieve pain while driving a van full of kids somewhere? That wouldn't occur to most non-drinkers as an option to reject. It would never even enter their mind.

Whether or not she was in pain really is a non issue in the big picture, because she had other more reasonable options at her disposal to address this , particularly as she was noted to be such a responsible, competent, intelligent, resourceful and incredible mom and loving aunt.

I agree and why not just drive home? She drove everywhere but home.

BBM. Nobody has said she was a non-drinker. Her husband admitted they had drinks while camping. While that may be your opinion it is impossible to know for certain the thoughts of another person. The fact is, she did drink excessive amounts of alcohol with children in her car. The reason she did so is unknown and will always remain unknown. But the sequence of KNOWN events lead me to conclude that she was not a heavy drinker, she consumed excessive amounts of alcohol in a short period of time and she pulled over and vomited because of alcohol toxicity. My speculation is that she did so because she was in extreme pain and she had no idea how quickly the alcohol would affect her.

JMO

I agree and why not just drive home? She drove everywhere but home.

She was impaired by the alcohol and marijuana. Nobody who is impaired by that combo is going to be making a reasonable decision.

JMO

We all have our little theories which will never be proven.

Mine goes something like this:

Diane is a habitual drinker/pot smoker. This is easy for her to do because her husband is at work in the evenings, so she has time to herself to imbibe after she gets her kids to bed. By the time Danny gets home, she is asleep and cannot be scrutinized. She has spent years grooming an image of the competent, intelligent, responsible individual. She gets up every day and goes about her business as primary breadwinner and super mom. Her husband is a lazy child who had not particularly wanted kids, but had agreed to the whole thing after Diane promised that she wouldn't let it change his life dramatically. In reality, this bargain becomes a very bitter pill for Diane to swallow and over time, creates a huge amount of stress (hence the drugs and alcohol) and resentment towards Daniel.

So much rides on Diane creating the image of the perfect employee, wife, and mother (probably a reaction to how her own mother failed her family), and she is brilliant at pulling this off. The admiration she receives for this usually compensates for the negatives. But for whatever reason, Danny has really pissed her off during the camping trip. Maybe she also caught him in a lie about when he actually arrived at the camp and where he was in the interim. Maybe she's just finally had it with having to do pretty much everything while he gets all the fun stuff. Who knows.

At some point during the drive home, she makes the decision to take the edge off her anger with some vodka and orange juice, which she purchased at McDonalds. Maybe this just doesn't sit well with her stomach so early in the day, so she smokes some pot in order to handle the nausea.

Eventually during this car trip, she realizes she has been busted by Emma, who has called her parents and told them something is wrong with her aunt. She can usually fool her own kids if need be, but Warren's kids are older, and this time at least one of them catches on to the fact that she is impaired in some way. She knows if she shows up at Warren's house in her current condition, her whole reputation/perfect act is blown to high hell.

So she drives and drives, hoping to sober up enough to be able to face her brother and SIL.

At some point she realizes she doesn't have enough time to do this. So she drinks a little more to get her courage up to commit vehicular suicide, with all the kids as unfortunate but necessary collateral damage. Or: perhaps she simply overestimates her ability to function under these circumstances and, in the midst of an alcoholic blackout, ultimately ends up mistaking the exit ramp for an entrance ramp, precipitating a head on collision.

The end.

I think that's just as plausible as any of the other theories I've heard.

I think she was drinking that morning to stave off the withdrawal. She needs a certain amount to keep her "steady".

JMO

I think she was drinking that morning to stave off the withdrawal. She needs a certain amount to keep her "steady".

JMO
I think Diane took ambien either advert aptly or inadvertently. My own experience with ambien included drinking hard alcohol straight. I would never do this in my right mind. The way she was acting very much in an altered state like sleepwalking. I think it fits w what happened. You can get up with ambien and look like a normal person doing something yet you can't remember in am

I think Diane took ambien either advert aptly or inadvertently. My own experience with ambien included drinking hard alcohol straight. I would never do this in my right mind. The way she was acting very much in an altered state like sleepwalking. I think it fits w what happened. You can get up with ambien and look like a normal person doing something yet you can't remember in am

I think that people who are self medicating and alcoholics have no trouble adding things into the mix. I think she was an addict and sadly just thought she could handle more and more.

But police spoke to people who she interacted with after she awakened such as the Park worker and the McDonald's worker and they didn't report she appeared to be in an altered state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nahnah_2015