8 Die in Crash on Taconic State Parkway #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, most people following this case are well aware that DS was impaired. I was responding to the claims of some that she had an abscess, and if she was in such pain, why not simply just drive home over her choice of driving around for hours pounding shots while driving a van full of children.

We don't know. But I believe the theory is that she self-medicated with alcohol and pot, became impaired, and ended up wandering around trying to find her way home in the weekend traffic. I don't think anybody believes she was wandering on purpose. On the contrary, DS was known for being a direct and aggressive driver--the type that went exactly where she wanted to go.

People have speculated over and over about why she would ask for pain medication (which as noted before has never been established as fact). There was the tooth abscess theory as well as the simple possibility that she was hung over.

In any case, none of that really provides mitigating circumstances. If she was in such bad pain that she felt she couldn't cope, she should have called someone to help her out. Her husband would have been a good start. Presumably she was sober when this unbearable pain started. What sober person who is not normally a big drinker even thinks of drinking alcohol to relieve pain while driving a van full of kids somewhere? That wouldn't occur to most non-drinkers as an option to reject. It would never even enter their mind.

Whether or not she was in pain really is a non issue in the big picture, because she had other more reasonable options at her disposal to address this , particularly as she was noted to be such a responsible, competent, intelligent, resourceful and incredible mom and loving aunt.

It wouldn't occur to me, I'll grant you that. But alcohol has been used as anesthesia for centuries. Soldiers in the Civil War were given several shots of whiskey before an amputation!

It wouldn't occur to me, I'll grant you that. But alcohol has been used as anesthesia for centuries. Soldiers in the Civil War were given several shots of whiskey before an amputation!

Yeah, sounds good, but in general, to most moms who are not habitual drinkers, driving around with young children in their vans, not real relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500