CO - James Holmes Trial Discussion - Begins April 27, 2015 # 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are having a long old chat with the judge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if his young age will sway the jurors. He's quite young isn't he? Not that I'm saying he didn't know what he was doing. It's clear he did.

the definition of insanity from a law website: "Insanity. n. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior."

This was just posted on TDC's discussion area. I know this has been discussed here a lot already. Just thought it was interesting to see it again.

I would say he doesn't fit any of those. Certainly not the last two. He had no problem putting this plan together, which rules out not being able to conduct his affairs. And since he had this planned so meticulously, including circling the date on his calendar, he was able to control his impulses. Or he would have just taken his gun and gone and shot up the local store or school or whatever when he got the urge.

So I guess that leaves the "unable to distinguish reality vs fantasy". I am a bit more stuck on that one. Anyone got anything? What do we have so far, as proof that he wasn't able to understand this was a very real reality.

I just listened to the testimony of the bf who left his family in the theater. I wondered how someone could do that. After hearing the full story, it makes a bit more sense--although still....
Anyway, he ended up separated from his gf and other child because when he ducked down his 4 month old son's head got stuck between the seats in the row in front of where he was trying to duck. So, he hopped over the seats to change aisles to help hide his son. With the theater almost full, I imagine people were packed into the floor everywhere trying to hide. Then when it seemed time, he ran, carrying his son with him and only put him down after he got pushed around (I think he said he fell) and injured his arm. He then jumped over a balcony to get out. He said he wasn't sure he could jump with his son, but he looked to grab him but didn't see him and jumped alone, deciding to run for help, injuring his ankle. Still, not exactly heroic, but it makes more sense--According to what he said, he didn't just hear shots and split, thinking he could get out faster if he ditched the others.:thinking:

the definition of insanity from a law website: "Insanity. n. mental illness of such a severe nature that a person cannot distinguish fantasy from reality, cannot conduct her/his affairs due to psychosis, or is subject to uncontrollable impulsive behavior."

This was just posted on TDC's discussion area. I know this has been discussed here a lot already. Just thought it was interesting to see it again.

I would say he doesn't fit any of those. Certainly not the last two. He had no problem putting this plan together, which rules out not being able to conduct his affairs. And since he had this planned so meticulously, including circling the date on his calendar, he was able to control his impulses. Or he would have just taken his gun and gone and shot up the local store or school or whatever when he got the urge.

So I guess that leaves the "unable to distinguish reality vs fantasy". I am a bit more stuck on that one. Anyone got anything? What do we have so far, as proof that he wasn't able to understand this was a very real reality.

By that legal definition, I dont see the jury being able to say he was insane by that definition.

This evidence is just going on and on. I would be really surprised if the jury are still focused at this time.

The Gold Patrol™ ‏@thegoldpatrol 5m5 minutes ago
#theatershooting

Photo:

The seats we have been looking at were taken out of the theater for evidence.

I know everyone's eyes glaze over with testimony like this..However, it's called evidence in a trial that has to get it entered into the trial..IF they don't do that..then jury cannot consider it in their deliberation. Defence can object all they want..but maybe they should be blaming their own client as HE was the one that created ALL THIS TEDIOUS Evidence!! :shame:

Can you just imagine the time hours racked up by so many officials including LE/CSI/Technicians/ photographers/detectives ++ I, SMH at what JH did/caused and created..and the $$$$$ his selfish need to act out his fantasy costs for taxpayers and innocents that happen to be there that fateful night!!! Gerrrrr

I seriously can't believe that dude bolted from the theater leaving his wife and kids to see if they can figure a way out on their own. At the very LEAST you need to carry one of your kids out of there if you are gonna make a break for it.

And thanks again for the continued posts you guys...

This is important & should be pinned on each thread! Mentally ill, yes. That does not mean that he is legally insane. They're totally separate. Insanity is a legal term. It's not a condition as defined in psychology.

This evidence is just going on and on. I would be really surprised if the jury are still focused at this time.

Yup! I was just coming in to ask that same thing. If anyone HERE was still able to pay attention...and more importantly, do y'all think the jury is getting anything out of this witness's testimony? Cause I just don't see how this minutia matters!

They have fully established he killed and injured many people. With the guns they held in their hands. And seen the receipts for the ammo he purchased. And seen 2 of the chairs from the theater.

I am finally to the point where I do think that Rule 403 is coming into play. I am no lawyer, but this has to be cumulative!

Well, for me showing these seats, bullet holes are large!!!!!!!!!!!! oh my, I can't imagine those poor people, having been shot. Not a chance. :(

I do feel that it's a lot of detail that's for sure. But as LyndyLoo said its the only way it can be admitted into evidence which the jurors will be looking at when they deliberate.

I know it would make me super tired. Maybe the jurors are much more switched on than me lol!

Hey folks ... just a reminder that this is the James Holmes trial thread, so recent OT posts about the Boston Marathon case have been removed. Please stay on topic in the thread.

Thanks.

Oops sorry sillybilly. Won't happen again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member