GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.history.com/topics/mafia-in-the-united-states

according to census this is correct about floods of italians coming in to america

IMMIGRATION AND PROHIBITION
During the late 19th century and early 20th century, waves of Italians, mostly farmers, craftsmen and unskilled laborers, flocked to America in search of better economic opportunities. In New York City alone, the number of Italians soared from 20,000 to 250,000 between 1880 and 1890, and by 1910, that number had jumped to 500,000 immigrants and first-generation Italian Americans, or one-tenth of the city’s population, according to historian Thomas Repetto. The majority of these immigrants were law-abiding, but, as with most large groups of people, some were criminals who formed neighborhood gangs, often preying on those in their own communities.

Did You Know?
Mafia boss John Gotti (1940-2002) was dubbed the “Teflon Don” for his ability to evade prosecution. However, after mobster Sammy Gravano turned government informant and testified against Gotti, Gotti was convicted on murder and racketeering charges in 1992 and sent to prison, where he died of cancer.

This was all during that time and he's on census AT ANCESTRY

http://www.bing.com/search?q=histor...=-1&sk=&cvid=272608e217cd42bc9496bac20e6120cd

Al Capone
Gangster
Al Capone
Alphonse Gabriel "Al" Capone was an American gangster who attained fame during the Prohibition era. His seven-year reign as crime boss ended when he was 33 years old.
Wikipedia
Lived: Jan 17, 1899 - Jan 25, 1947 (age 48)
Height: 5' 10" (1.79 m)
Spouse: Mae Capone (1918 - 1947)
Siblings: Frank Capone · Ralph Capone · James Vincenzo Capone · Umberto Capone · Rose Capone · Matthew Capone · John Capone
Buried: Mount Carmel Cemetery
Parents: Teresina Capone · Gabriel Capone

1900 lived in BROOKLYN KINGS COUNTY NEW YORK all being migrant italians probalby rubbing elbows

ANCESTRY>COM
Go to website
Add alternate information
Report issue
Name: AL Capone
Birth Date: 17 Jan 1899
Birth Place: Brooklyn, Kings County (Brooklyn), New York, USA
Death Date: 25 Jan 1947
Death Place: Miami Beach, Miami-Dade County, Florida, USA
Cemetery: Mount Carmel Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Hillside, Cook County, Illinois, USA
Has Bio?: Y
Spouse: Mae Capone
Father: Gabriel Capone
Mother: Theresa Capone
Children: Albert Francis Capone

With that big house, they may have had an oversized garage where there could easily be 8-10 feet between two parked cars. Do we know how big their garage is?

I respect all opinions, of course. As far as I know, organized crime (be it the mafia/mob/cosa nostra/hell's angels) usually kill for a reason, usually tied to money. The same could be said for terrorist or cult groups -- their reason (so to speak) is usually tied to publicity.

Thus far, so far as anyone knows, nobody has benefited in terms of money or publicity.

All these weapons remind me of the Kraiser blade better known as a sling blade.
In the 1989 cult classic "Sling Blade," Billy Bob Thornton did a fine job acting when he later chopped Doyle's head off with his Kaiser blade. The movie is still being shown once in awhile on tv and cable. I wonder if there is still a following.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117666/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_Blade

I'm really not sure why so many assumes that this was a surgical/clean beheading.

Friends and family of the Dermonds, please stop reading right now.
I just want to point out that any nitwit could behead a body with even the most rustic of blades. We have no information about the way that the body was beheaded. It could have been done by someone with no expertise but having time and a sharp blade. Or even a rock with a sharp groove. I wish we had more information about how Mr. D was beheaded, but we do not, and so I don't know what sorts of assumptions we can make.

With that big house, they may have had an oversized garage where there could easily be 8-10 feet between two parked cars. Do we know how big their garage is?

You'd think it might be pretty roomy -- but, IDK, the description here makes it sound as if maybe it's not particularly:

...Sills stepped out of the Suburban and stuck a Glock 18C in his waistband. He went in the house through the kitchen door, the same door the neighbor entered. Then he headed for an open door that led to a cramped two-car garage....

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/grea...-county-sheriff-howard-sills-chases-a-killer/

I just want to point out that any nitwit could behead a body with even the most rustic of blades. We have no information about the way that the body was beheaded. It could have been done by someone with no expertise but having time and a sharp blade. Or even a rock with a sharp groove. I wish we had more information about how Mr. D was beheaded, but we do not, and so I don't know what sorts of assumptions we can make.

People are assuming that because it was posted in an article (several pages back). The article basically said the head was removed with one clean cut, though there was possibly a second cut to sever the spinal cord.

Of course any idiot could cut off a head with dull knife or sharp stone given enough time, but a clean cut without fumbling/hesitation is a bit unusual and strongly implies they had the proper tool and some knowledge/experience.

I respect all opinions, of course. As far as I know, organized crime (be it the mafia/mob/cosa nostra/hell's angels) usually kill for a reason, usually tied to money. The same could be said for terrorist or cult groups -- their reason (so to speak) is usually tied to publicity.

That is why the rumor mill says he was an FBI informant.

Personally I think the rumors are a product of gossip in a smallish Southern community. Someone here suggested that a mob hit man could "blend in" to the area and scope out the boats/lake for weeks before committing the murder. Not a mob hitman from NJ! It would be like something out of the movie "My Cousin Vinnie".

A visiting wiseguy that scoped out the area and learned the layout would stand out like a sore thumb, heavy NJ/NY accents are really jarring in the south, it is as if someone is running their fingernails down a chalkboard. Rumors would fly. That is likely how the rumors about Dermond being an informant started, folks wondered why a guy from NJ would move there, and when they were killed someone said "Well he WAS from NJ...not from round here....so maybe he was an informant..."

Gossip, especially about people "not from around here" spreads quick, and people are very observant.

Not all mob hitmen are from NJ or Northern states. I'm not suggesting the Dermonds were murdered by mob hitmen, but those pros are home grown around this area as well. I imagine most of the Lake Oconee home owners are from somewhere other than Greene County.

Russell Dermond grew up there in the 30's, nothern NJ, grandparents italian immigrants living in brooklyn whom he lived with for a short time, if he'd been irish or german, I might not have thought much of it, it's been a long time but I thought an interesting find

Let's just ignore all the facts then, best way to solve a crime, maybe SS was wrong when he said he might need to go further back in the D's pasts

I'm not saying it is or it isnt but if you dont' know what IT IS you can's say what it AINT

Moving along.

In a 20 x 20, 400 sf garage, it's barely room to move, so in a 25 x 25, there was probably atleast 5 ft between the cars, ANOTHER thought, he may have had a golf cart stored in there or a work bench or something making it more cramped, still may have been less than 5 ft between the cars tho on second though

That is why the rumor mill says he was an FBI informant.

Personally I think the rumors are a product of gossip in a smallish Southern community. Someone here suggested that a mob hit man could "blend in" to the area and scope out the boats/lake for weeks before committing the murder. Not a mob hitman from NJ! It would be like something out of the movie "My Cousin Vinnie".

A visiting wiseguy that scoped out the area and learned the layout would stand out like a sore thumb, heavy NJ/NY accents are really jarring in the south, it is as if someone is running their fingernails down a chalkboard. Rumors would fly. That is likely how the rumors about Dermond being an informant started, folks wondered why a guy from NJ would move there, and when they were killed someone said "Well he WAS from NJ...not from round here....so maybe he was an informant..."

Gossip, especially about people "not from around here" spreads quick, and people are very observant.

Could have been contractual, not necessarily a yankee trying to blend in. Also, I think people look at the man being beheaded, it screams of mafia, mob or al queda or some such. Thats what people are looking at and so far the crime is not solved and THERE IS NO CLUES and SS has NO IDEA, so no one here knows and no one out there knows, but even SS said, "this aint local talent"

Russell Dermond grew up there in the 30's, nothern NJ, grandparents italian immigrants living in brooklyn whom he lived with for a short time, if he'd been irish or german, I might not have thought much of it, it's been a long time but I thought an interesting find

Let's just ignore all the facts then, best way to solve a crime, maybe SS was wrong when he said he might need to go further back in the D's pasts

The thing is, if he was indeed involved with the Mob back in the 40's or 50's and he did something to really peeve them off then he would have had to go into hiding and change his name, otherwise they wouldn't have waited this long to come after him unless the family restaurants were a money laundering front, and even then he no longer manages them.

But we are assuming he did NOT change his name, so in my mind that rules out a several decades old Mafia vendetta based in the info of his past location and neighbors. Since he is retired it is hard to imagine him running afoul of the mob at this stage of his life.

The thing is, if he was indeed involved with the Mob back in the 40's or 50's and he did something to really peeve them off then he would have had to go into hiding and change his name, otherwise they wouldn't have waited this long to come after him.

But we are assuming he did NOT change his name, so in my mind that rules out a several decades old Mafia vendetta based in the info of his past location and neighbors.

yes it's been a long time, i never could find a marriage between margaret tedesco and charles h dermond, but i did find a margaret tedesco and Guesseppi Tuozolo, but her bdate was not the same on the marriage license but who knows if you needed a birth certificate proof before marrying or if the JP just asked your bdate, plenty of people try to run from family back then being it race or some other reasons, I'm not saying it is mafia but it's more significant, in my mind now, we just don't know anything about them, not to say they were bad people, but everyone has a secret and a past, who move on to a better life

not to say they were bad people, but everyone has a secret and a past, who move on to a better life

And if this was revenge (and it seems like it might be) it could be something that seemed relatively "minor" to others at the time or something that no one else knows about.

Sheriff Sills quote; "They've done a good job concealing themselves," he said of the killers. "We've got to do a better job of finding them."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/13/russell-and-shirley-dermond_n_5492927.html

Russell And Shirley Dermond's Brutal Killing Leaves Authorities Baffled
AP | By KATE BRUMBACK Posted: 06/13/2014

<BBM For Focus>
EATONTON, Ga. (AP) &#8212; The unsolved beheading of a retiree and the killing of his elderly wife has so rattled their gated, lakeside Georgia community that neighbors are casting about for even outlandish explanations.

Was it a mob hit? A drug dealer? A hungry alligator?

And people there are talking about the mystery, said Karen Bridgeman, Ron Bridgeman's wife and the newspaper's managing editor. "There are as many different theories as there are people in the county."

Some of the most common are that the Dermonds, originally from New Jersey, had organized crime ties and were victims of a mob hit or that their deaths are related to the killing of their oldest son in 2000 in a drug deal gone bad. The craziest tip authorities got was that it was likely a female alligator seeking food for her young, the sheriff said. <LOL>

Sills is tired of all the theories and speculation. He has investigated the Dermonds' lives in depth and has determined that they worked hard, paid their taxes, went to church. There's no indication of any illegal activity or association with unsavory characters, he said. There's no indication that anything was taken from the home.

He simply can't figure out who would want the Dermonds dead.
<snipped - read more>

Anyone remember the name of the hip hop artist that owned property adjacent to the Dermonds?

I'm really not sure why so many assumes that this was a surgical/clean beheading.

Friends and family of the Dermonds, please stop reading right now.

The beheading also could have been done by a very strong person using fishing wire or piano wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim