DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mosler was a Léonardo de Vinci, Rembrandt or Claude Monet of auto's.
I am just not seeing that in the car forums I have been reading. According to one website a Ford GT keeps its value better than the Mosler MT900. It is also speculated on a few of the sights that the reason there are so few of them is that that there isn't a market for them. I am not a car person, but it is interesting reading.

What's a few hundred thousand among friends?

Seriously, though, $200k is a lot more than $40k. Not being much of a car person, anything in the six figures is a lot of money for a car to me.
Take the Land and Range Rovers. Huge market for those, and a nice chunk of change, vs the Mosler, instantly recognizable, extremely hard to resell without a lot of effort into underground exotic car fencing operations - of which there are not many.
Even the Porsche, in a chop shop. But he burned it instead.
I cannot believe this crime was about the cars, not when DW invested all of that time for cash with those cars just sitting there.

One thing another poster raised that I still think is curious...

Why let it get to the point where SS is walking in through the door? Why not kidnap Philip and Amy and demand that PS not return to the home without at least $500,000 in ransom instead of spending the night and torturing the child? Too risky to arrange the money drop?

I am just not seeing that in the car forums I have been reading. According to one website a Ford GT keeps its value better than the Mosler MT900. It is also speculated on a few of the sights that the reason there are so few of them is that that there isn't a market for them. I am not a car person, but it is interesting reading.

The Mosler list price was about $160K...about $200K if all options. If there was a market for them, they would have sold more. The Mosler is a niche car. Not a car collector car...but a collector with an affinity to Mosler. The simple rarity of them doesn't make them highly sought after, from my research.

I'm not sure we know that he didn't take anything else, though. (?)
I am just speculating because there wasn't any jewelry, paintings and such listed in the search warrants of the cars. The search warrants for the homes should be telling.

What's a few hundred thousand among friends?

Seriously, though, $200k is a lot more than $40k. Not being much of a car person, anything in the six figures is a lot of money for a car to me.

Yes, I'm not sure why some are questioning whether the rare Mosler had great value. Clearly it did to SS because he kept it securely in a garage rather than in the drive. The Porsche was being driven, the Mosler was being kept as an investment just as his home was filled with art. Investments do appreciate in the eyes of collectors.

JMO

I am just speculating because there wasn't any jewelry, paintings and such listed in the search warrants of the cars. The search warrants for the homes should be telling.

Search warrants don't include an itemized list. The SW for the vehicle didn't specifically list the registration for the Mosler.

JMO

You know, it just occurred to me that JW posted his "Mosler" pictures on SM in January. That was several months before he came into the employ of SS and a day before the emissions inspection reported in the Carfax report (see earlier post by RKF). Interesting that JW knew about the car and took it for a spin (according to JW, anyway) several months before asking SS for a job. Since no one has been able to produce any evidence that the Mosler's registration was current (and the Carfax report makes it look like it went fallow for about a year with no repairs noted either), I wonder if the car came out of the garage for the first time in a while at the encouragement of JW.

oh wow, I think that JW and SS had been friends for a long time. JMO Lets see, they met at the Kart place, for all we know 2 years ago, started talking, found out that had a lot in common, and became friends. Obviously friendly enough for SS to let him drive or come in the car with him, they obviously had a relationship before SS hired him. So he is not some strange dude that just all the sudden showed up a month ago. I wonder if JW was already helping SS with different things and maybe it took away from his time at work, who knows maybe that's why he was let go, and then hired by SS. I am one who does not believe that JW has anything to do with this, and i have a feeling he is devastated by the loss of his boss/friend. Can you imagine how awful it would be if you were innocent and had just lost some friends and you were being accused of his murder.

Do we know if the car passed the emmisions test. I know that here if your car doesn't pass (we call a smog test) you can't get the car registered. Car has to be repaired and tested again.

Search warrants don't include an itemized list. The SW for the vehicle didn't specifically list the registration for the Mosler.

JMO

The return does which is how I saw it.

oh wow, I think that JW and SS had been friends for a long time. JMO Lets see, they met at the Kart place, for all we know 2 years ago, started talking, found out that had a lot in common, and became friends. Obviously friendly enough for SS to let him drive or come in the car with him, they obviously had a relationship before SS hired him. So he is not some strange dude that just all the sudden showed up a month ago. I wonder if JW was already helping SS with different things and maybe it took away from his time at work, who knows maybe that's why he was let go, and then hired by SS. I am one who does not believe that JW has anything to do with this, and i have a feeling he is devastated by the loss of his boss/friend. Can you imagine how awful it would be if you were innocent and had just lost some friends and you were being accused of his murder.

Do we know if the car passed the emmisions test. I know that here if your car doesn't pass (we call a smog test) you can't get the car registered. Car has to be repaired and tested again.

Carfax says that it passed the emissions test in January.

Why does JW have his buddy's registration in his backpack after his friend is found murdered, though? I really cannot think of a good reason for that.

Yes, I'm not sure why some are questioning whether the rare Mosler had great value. Clearly it did to SS because he kept it securely in a garage rather than in the drive. The Porsche was being driven, the Mosler was being kept as an investment just as his home was filled with art. Investments do appreciate in the eyes of collectors.

JMO

He had a 2 car drive way...and 6 cars. You don't keep a car that is rarely driven in the way of other cars.

The Mosler is not an easy car to drive - no power steering. It is not a sit in traffic to drive across DC car. No one would keep a car like that sitting out in the elements.

No one is saying it isn't valuable. Clearly, SS bought it for a reason - it was valuable and collectible to him! But saying it is worth $700K just isn't accurate. Saying it is worth $200K - $300K is not saying it isn't worth anything...LOL!!

JMO

Two reasons. First, calling it a 700k car is just wrong and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Second, the fact is that all their cars were high end, and the Mosler would not be the easy one to exchange for money, nor would it be a car that JW would think he could just "escape" with or want to race (its not a race car). So why all the hoopla on the Moosler when it was so unlikely the object of this crime?

Two reasons. First, calling it a 700k car is just wrong and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Second, the fact is that all their cars were high end, and the Mosler would not be the easy one to exchange for money, nor would it be a car that JW would think he could just "escape" with or want to race (its not a race car). So why all the hoopla on the Moosler when it was so unlikely the object of this crime?

JW is the one who posted that it was a $700K car. Perhaps what's important is what he thought the car was worth.

JW is the one who posted that it was a $700K car. Perhaps what's important is what he thought the car was worth.

As has been posted here already...there was recently (I think?) a Mosler that sold for $700K. Not the same model.

The Porsche was a 2008. Early on I looked at basic 911 Turbo Carreras and found http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29072991/dc-fire-community-mournsthem to go for something in the mid $40,000s. But I did find one 4S with low mileage going for $82,000
http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/29072991/dc-fire-community-mourns
Thank you for posting this. I thought it was a 2012 and only knew it was a Porsche 911. In KBB with the information posted above it has a base price of $39,000. Huge diffence than what I was seeing.

Or that is what SS felt the car was worth. My DH and his club of enthusiasts believe the Mosler was part of the motive.

JMO

Thank you for posting this. I thought it was a 2012 and only knew it was a Porsche 911. In KBB with the information posted above it has a base price of $39,000. Huge diffence than what I was seeing.

It was a 2008 911 Cabriolet Turbo. I think I saw one for sale for about $70K. New list was about $140K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15