ID - DeOrr Kunz Jr, 2, Timber Creek Campground, 10 July 2015 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier someone asked about temps in the area and whether or not a child left napping in a hot car could be deadly.

Temps this summer seem to be hotter than normal. We camped from July 29 - August 5th outside of Salmon. Our campground was at 8800' (which is higher than Timber Creek). Daytime temps were in the mid 80s. So yes, the inside of a truck could get hot - especially around 1pm.

It's weird that the Timber Creek campground outside of Leadore isn't listed on the main Challis-Salmon forest service web site with the rest of the campgrounds. I found it by Googling for it. If you click on the brown tent icons on the map on this page (on my computer I have to zoom out to see both of them) it shows the name of the campground and has a link for either the lower and upper camp area. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/scnf/recarea?recid=76098 (I think this link is actually the upper campground page)

There's no actual campground name AT ALL on ANY page. It just gives a description of some unknown place. Really strange, IMO

There's no actual campground name AT ALL on ANY page. It just gives a description of some unknown place. Really strange, IMO

It's a government website. I'm not surprised it's got some out of date information on it. The National Forest system has experienced pretty significant budget cuts in the last couple of decades.

Earlier someone asked about temps in the area and whether or not a child left napping in a hot car could be deadly.

Temps this summer seem to be hotter than normal. We camped from July 29 - August 5th outside of Salmon. Our campground was at 8800' (which is higher than Timber Creek). Daytime temps were in the mid 80s. So yes, the inside of a truck could get hot - especially around 1pm.

Much warmer than I thought, thanks for that info. :)

But the "campground" is also primitive (with no water and no nightly fees) . When one considers how many acres of public land there is in idaho (I believe in the millions) it doesn't surprise me that not every single one is listed.

Much warmer than I thought, thanks for that info. :)

Much warmer than I wanted ;) We expected maybe 70s in the day and chilly at night. But even those in our group that slept in hammocks were "hot" at night.

From that link, you see a map. On the map it says Timber Creek Campground. If you click on it you can then click 'more info' which takes you to the page for the campground. I agree it's weird the main page isn't titled Timber Creek but that's clearly the right page.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/scnf/recarea?recid=76098

a48c6142e90c1d531e22ed422583af3d.jpg

ETA: the little tent icon on the map is for 'dispersed' camping rather than 'campground' camping.

ETA2: if you click on either of the tent icons it will display the name of the campground and a link to the campground page.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Wouldn't a lot/most SAR/LE come from Salmon or other places from the north? No cameras between Salmon and campground.

I think so. I pictured SAR coming from the other side of Leadore and therefore SAR would not be on that camera. The campers coming from Idaho Falls might though. Although it looks like the shots are only taken every 15 minutes so it would be hit or miss.

Don't Post Offices have cameras? There is a Post Office at 115 Railroad, near the main intersection, not far / across the street from the Stage Stop. Close to where the turn off of 28 toward the campground is.

But the "campground" is also primitive (with no water and no nightly fees) . When one considers how many acres of public land there is in idaho (I believe in the millions) it doesn't surprise me that not every single one is listed.

Actually, it IS listed . . . . But the listing has all the information EXCEPT the NAME, so that wouldn't have anything to do with the size of the forest. That's why it's so strange. There's one with only TWO campsites and it has a name AND description. All of the other primitive sites seem to have names listed.

Actually, it IS listed . . . . But the listing has all the information EXCEPT the NAME, so that wouldn't have anything to do with the size of the forest. That's why it's so strange. There's one with only TWO campsites and it has a name AND description. All of the other primitive sites seem to have names listed.
I would chalk it up to the web designer missing the banner at the top of the page, like this one has.

10296ee1968bfec44e2319926292861c.jpg

That was from the PI's interview. I think he was just trying to say that even though LE might have originally looked at whether this was a possible accident/cover up by the parents, that investigation went nowhere. He's just trying to discount any idea that there might have been parental involvement.

I listened to it..Nate said something to the effect that as far as they know this is not a custody issue. I am taking it out of context.. He didnt sound like he thought it was by any means but i suppose anything is possible..he also said home and vehicles have been searched by the FBI and they have their vehicles back and their home has been returned to normal..

I listened to it too. To hear Nate talk DeOrr just disappeared.

Seems that's the only explanation.

He did mention when asked who else was in the area something about campers that would be leaving when their trip was done.

I have always wondered when GGP and Isaac arrived at the campground. Were they there for a week or a day?

Old timers love to talk and everybody loves sitting around a campfire and shooting the s...

So could GGP and Isaac have drawn in some folks that might have taken DeOrr?

All speculation on my part but things I ponder.

MOO

Timber Creek Lower Campground:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/scnf/recarea/?recid=76100

Timber Creek Upper Campground:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/scnf/recarea?recid=76098

Yes, but still no names. Are there five sites all together with two at the lower campground and three at the upper, or are there seven sites altogether with two at the lower and five at the upper? Can you provide the link you used to get to these two links? I want to see where and how these are listed. TIA

Does anyone have a link at all about the EMT bag?
And I don't mean the interview where it was brought up. I'm still not clear as to if it was just speculation or if it was officially addressed as to what the situation was with that.

Hi everyone,
I have been away for 10 days and I'm caught up. Nothing really new has happened as far as I can tell. I have been reading here since day one. I would just like to add my thoughts, basic though they are.
I still don't think parents are involved (just my gut)
I don't think animals anymore because where are the stinking boots!!
The creek still seems viable to me, so many people drown and aren't found for months despite thorough searches.
I have still not ruled out GGPs friend, (again gut).
I also still have zero proof outside of this family unit that this baby was ever even there (which contradicts my first comment about the parents)
So in other words, I haven't progressed from my opinion since the very beginning of this case, which almost never happens to me. This is beyond strange.
I am so frustrated. All my opinion only. Thanks for listening.

P.S. I'm not concerned about over sized boots, I'm sure mom also packed well fitting footwear for him, but was just indulging him that day. Totally normal. My two year old insisted on wearing her ballet tutu for an entire week once. NBD.
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, but still no names. Are there five sites all together with two at the lower campground and three at the upper, or are there seven sites altogether with two at the lower and five at the upper? Can you provide the link you used to get to these two links? I want to see where and how these are listed. TIA
The only links I have are the ones I have posted previously which are the same ones other's have posted.

From the map, when I click on each of the two tent icons at Timber Creek Campground it display a bubble with info and then a link to the corresponding page. Here are the descriptions for each:

LOWER:
2 sites in the lower campground have picnic tables and fire rings. There is a vault toilet in the campground, but no drinking water or garbage services. Nearby, the upper campground has a hand launch on the lake for nonmotorized boating. Please pack out your trash.

UPPER:
5 sites with picnic tables and fire rings. There is a vault toilet in the campground, but no drinking water or garbage services in the upper campground. The upper campground has a hand launch on the lake for nonmotorized boating. Please pack out your trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member