CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
In response to Margarita's question, "Is it something in the water?", I thought I'd post a final update to the chart that tracks random highway attacks nationwide. Months ago, I had started to try to tally "clusters" of what I judged to be related, random attacks on motorists in an effort to put the NoCO highway attacks in perspective. I ran, and carefully reviewed many different Google searches going back to 1/1/13, and listed any clusters of two or more apparently related attacks ("incidents"). As I mentioned earlier, I am concerned that the seemingly huge growth in incidents might partly be due to increased reporting of incidents or to older reports having been dropped from internet archives. I nevertheless offer the graph one last time, with an incident date cutoff of 10/31/15. Its source spreadsheet, including internet links to source reports, is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Y7Fc1C6ztmJ3hRghAA/edit#gid=220320673&vpid=A1

Colorado incidents account for 49 of the country's 178 incidents this year.

Screenshot 2015-11-28 at 6.17.08 PM.png

In response to Margarita's question, "Is it something in the water?", I thought I'd post a final update to the chart that tracks random highway attacks nationwide. Months ago, I had started to try to tally "clusters" of what I judged to be related, random attacks on motorists in an effort to put the NoCO highway attacks in perspective. I ran, and carefully reviewed many different Google searches going back to 1/1/13, and listed any clusters of two or more apparently related attacks ("incidents"). As I mentioned earlier, I am concerned that the seemingly huge growth in incidents might partly be due to increased reporting of incidents or to older reports having been dropped from internet archives. I nevertheless offer the graph one last time, with an incident date cutoff of 10/31/15. Its source spreadsheet, including internet links to source reports, is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Y7Fc1C6ztmJ3hRghAA/edit#gid=220320673&vpid=A1

Colorado incidents account for 49 of the country's 178 incidents this year.

View attachment 84991

Percent over a hundred equals is over of, which means:
(What's 4900 divided by 178)

27ish percent?

Thanks again Forager. Hello to FHG.

Eta: Gee I wonder what the "rampage shootings" stats look like.

Just Curious?..

Woman shot riding on motorcycle through Garden of the Gods
www.denverpost.com/.../woman-shot-riding-motorcycle...
The Denver Post
Aug 31, 2015 - ... after a woman was shot in Garden of the Gods Park late Sunday in an ... Colorado Springs police say the shooting appears to be random.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28732446/woman-shot-riding-motorcycle-through-garden-gods

Don't forget the homemade explosives in the parking lot (teen like though?)

Saw the news about the CO shooting at Planned Parenthood over the weekend.
Prayers for all affected families.

I kind of figured it would be a person that seemed to be upset with abortions amongst other things and so far it is leaning that way. It does make you wonder if this person may have taken random pot shots in other places though.
He seemed mad at the world and a little off his rocker.

Hopefully investigators will check out everything as it may relate to other crimes.

Before I forget, I wanted to link this post by HMSHood to look at later:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...o-Springs-27-Nov-2015&p=12214600#post12214600

The post that Magarita references focuses on article by Joe Navarro, M.A., a 25-year veteran of the FBI where he served on the National Security Division's Behavioral Analysis Program.

On Wound Collectors; Lessons learned from extremists, mass murderers, and those who can't let go in Psychology Today.

He makes a point that I think bears repeating: "We need to be more precise in our psychological postmortems after these tragic events occur to see if indeed these gross perpetrators of mayhem are indeed wound collectors and if so when could we have stopped them and how."

By now, we on the thread, and you in the press or law enforcement who might be reading this, have read, written or investigated a zillion stories of senseless violence by people such as the NoCO shooters, the Colorado Springs shooters and the Paris shooters. I have yet to read more than paragraph at a time about why they've done what they've done or what makes them tick. We need more of that, please.

One thought I had regarding our NOCO shooter and car window shootings and the possibility the recent planned parenthood shooter could have done some of the other shootings is the accuracy he displayed with his long scoped rifle.

During the weekend event this shooter used accuracy as he shot victims trying to flee in the parking lot. I believe I had read that one person was running away on foot in the parking lot and got shot as he was running. Another was driving away and the shooter hit his car (I think rear) windshields as he tried to get his vehicle out of there.

Hitting a moving target and especially a person is quite difficult sometimes and this shooter showed us that he had skills with that weapon. Our NOCO shootings have also showed us the shooter would have to have skills to be able to hit moving vehicles like he has been doing.

I do think it is possible this recent shooter could have done at least some of the NOCO shootings. I hope LE fully investigates the possibility of that and I hope LE tells the public if they find out anything about that.

One thought I had regarding our NOCO shooter and car window shootings and the possibility the recent planned parenthood shooter could have done some of the other shootings is the accuracy he displayed with his long scoped rifle.

During the weekend event this shooter used accuracy as he shot victims trying to flee in the parking lot. I believe I had read that one person was running away on foot in the parking lot and got shot as he was running. Another was driving away and the shooter hit his car (I think rear) windshields as he tried to get his vehicle out of there.

Hitting a moving target and especially a person is quite difficult sometimes and this shooter showed us that he had skills with that weapon. Our NOCO shootings have also showed us the shooter would have to have skills to be able to hit moving vehicles like he has been doing.

I do think it is possible this recent shooter could have done at least some of the NOCO shootings. I hope LE fully investigates the possibility of that and I hope LE tells the public if they find out anything about that.

<BBM for Focus>

I agree, Hatfield. There are a couple of indicators, imo, that the Garden of the Gods shooting of the woman on the motorcycle and the
man shot in the Pike National Forest campground, who later died are two possible victims of Dear that come to mind. The results of the ballistics forensics investigation of Dear's firearms and ammunition should be very interesting, imo..

Man killed by errant bullet in Pike National Forest highlights growing problem
The Douglas County killing of Glenn Martin has implications for a decades-old debate

By Jesse Paul
The Denver Post
POSTED: 07/10/2015
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...al-forest-shooting-highlights-growing-problem
<snipped>

he Douglas County Sheriff's Office, which is investigating the shooting, on Thursday offered to test rifles to rule out their connection to Martin's death.

While investigators have said the fatal shot probably came from an errant bullet, they have not ruled out the possibility it was intentional.
__

Hartsel, CO to Pike National Forest campground --> 42 miles
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Har...cd583c303fd92!2m2!1d-105.5005483!2d39.1838551

<BBM for Focus>

I agree, Hatfield. There are a couple of indicators, imo, that the Garden of the Gods shooting of the woman on the motorcycle and the
man shot in the Pike National Forest campground, who later died are two possible victims of Dear that come to mind. The results of the ballistics forensics investigation of Dear's firearms and ammunition should be very interesting, imo..

Man killed by errant bullet in Pike National Forest highlights growing problem
The Douglas County killing of Glenn Martin has implications for a decades-old debate

By Jesse Paul
The Denver Post
POSTED: 07/10/2015
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_2...al-forest-shooting-highlights-growing-problem
<snipped>

he Douglas County Sheriff's Office, which is investigating the shooting, on Thursday offered to test rifles to rule out their connection to Martin's death.

While investigators have said the fatal shot probably came from an errant bullet, they have not ruled out the possibility it was intentional.
__

Hartsel, CO to Pike National Forest campground --> 42 miles
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Har...cd583c303fd92!2m2!1d-105.5005483!2d39.1838551

Whoa. "Hartsel, CO to Pike National Forest campground --> 42 miles"

Only 42 miles. That's pretty darn close. I had totally forgot about that incident and I agree its a candidate. They said they had not outruled the shot being done on purpose.

One thing I do know about woods shooting in general is something that was taught to me from some experienced deer hunters. The discussion centered around being afraid of being shot by other hunters and the person mentioned something that helped lesson concerns. They said that if you shoot a gun in typical woods that the bullet normally does not travel great distances without first eventually hitting a tree.

I have since found that to be mostly true and especially in thick woods. All you have to do is look through the scope and try to point in any direction and sure enough you end up seeing a tree in the middle of the cross hairs.

Of course terrain and lay of the land and thickness of forest trees all play an important part in whether a tree would block a long shot.

The point is that either the lay of the land on that day was such that the accident could happen OR maybe it wasn't an accident afterall.

I recently met a guy who owns his own little drone company focusing on mapping and video. I tried our earlier speculations out on him. He had a hard time seeing a possible drone involvement in the NoCO shootings. According to him, there have been no reports of violent uses drones other than by governments.

He focused on drones' noise and visibility as the greatest impediment, followed by the difficulty of taking accurate shots. He thought that landing, shooting, and taking off again might be a possibility, if the operator really knew his stuff and spent some time engineering an approach. He said that flying a drone beyond line-of-sight (i.e. with the drone out of view of the operator) required a very sophistiticated operation behind it. He said that he was limited to line-of-sight and a radius of about two miles.

He acknowledged that drone technology was advancing quickly, but wasn't willing to buy into speculation that a day might arrive when privately operated drones would open up real possibilities for anynomous violence. He pointed out that there were already plenty of much less demanding conventional approaches to that.

I recently met a guy who owns his own little drone company focusing on mapping and video. I tried our earlier speculations out on him. He had a hard time seeing a possible drone involvement in the NoCO shootings. According to him, there have been no reports of violent uses drones other than by governments.

He focused on drones' noise and visibility as the greatest impediment, followed by the difficulty of taking accurate shots. He thought that landing, shooting, and taking off again might be a possibility, if the operator really knew his stuff and spent some time engineering an approach. He said that flying a drone beyond line-of-sight (i.e. with the drone out of view of the operator) required a very sophistiticated operation behind it. He said that he was limited to line-of-sight and a radius of about two miles.

He acknowledged that drone technology was advancing quickly, but wasn't willing to buy into speculation that a day might arrive when privately operated drones would open up real possibilities for anynomous violence. He pointed out that there were already plenty of much less demanding conventional approaches to that.

Thanks Forager.

I agree with him that less demanding conventional approaches are probably what is going on in NOCO.

I did think of everyone here about a week ago when I saw something very interesting on TV about drones. They showed guns on drones and also Intercepting devices to take out drones.

It was really neat to see and I don't remember what show I was even watching. They had video of an actual handgun attached to a drone and firing. The show was mainly about things to use to knock a drone out of the sky. They had 1 device that would shoot a net at the drone and take it down with a net. :)

I think sooner or later some "gadget guy" type person is going to get arrested using a wepaonized drone.

For our NOCO incidents since they were in many different locations I would tend to think someone would have spotted the drone if one was being used. So I agree that it most likely is someone shooting from a vehicle of some sort. Or some of the other methods we discussed like maybe on foot at times or maybe using a motorcycle as a getaway vehicle.

From today's Longmont Times-Call "Police Notes" about a previously unreported 11/30/15 shattering on I-25:

Police notes: I-25 driver reports shattered window; Northern Colorado Task Force notified

"Dacono police on Nov. 30 took a report from a motorist who reported having their rear window shattered on Interstate 25. Police forwarded the report to the Northern Colorado Task Force." [That's the report, in its entirety.]

As shown on the case map, for now, as a yellow teardrop:

Screenshot 2015-12-09 at 11.42.03 AM.png

This is the first shattering report that we have had wind of since 11/4/15. I figure it for the 33rd unexplained window shattering north of Denver, and the 24th on I-25 proper this year. There have also been many more south of Denver that may or may not be related.

(O/T:

I saw on local TV news earlier there was an active shooter at a restaurant in Adams County.

Here's the update on that:

'Gunman' at Lulu's Inn in Watkins prompts police response, turns out to be man with band equipment'

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...-at-lulus-inn-in-watkins-on-reports-of-gunman

"WATKINS, Colo. - The Adams County Sheriff's Office SWAT team forced their way into Lulu's Inn in Watkins, Colo., Friday afternoon after there was reports of a gunman inside, but it turns out it was all a misunderstanding.

The reported "gunman," was actually a man carrying band equipment, like a mike stand or a cymbal stand, said Sgt. Jim Morgen, with the Adams County Sheriff's Office." )

I saw something on local TV, 7news, re: Connole but the volume was down and I missed it. Looking in msm...

From today's Longmont Times-Call "Police Notes" about a previously unreported 11/30/15 shattering on I-25:

Police notes: I-25 driver reports shattered window; Northern Colorado Task Force notified

"Dacono police on Nov. 30 took a report from a motorist who reported having their rear window shattered on Interstate 25. Police forwarded the report to the Northern Colorado Task Force." [That's the report, in its entirety.]

As shown on the case map, for now, as a yellow teardrop:

View attachment 85507

This is the first shattering report that we have had wind of since 11/4/15. I figure it for the 33rd unexplained window shattering north of Denver, and the 24th on I-25 proper this year. There have also been many more south of Denver that may or may not be related.

Thank you Forager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member