CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
(IMO many locals are uneducated here about these cases due to the lack of reporting, here's why: many people seem to assume they "caught the guy(s)" just because "they havent heard anything about it lately". (Interesting observation for the future. Jmo.) For example, last night I was talking with a couple who lives in the "hotspot"; I casually mentioned the incidents, and they immediately confidantly jumped in about how they caught the guy and "yeah he was on the lam for a while". I didn't say anything.)

(Maybe I'm missing something...I haven't heard anything about any arrests?)

Everything is JMO.

Oh. The link has been updated.

PD: 'Shots fired' at vehicle likely a rock
http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/12/11/ups-vehicle-shots/77163100/

I don't know what to make of this report. I suspect that the police or the reporter might have gotten the location wrong. The address near which the incident is reported to have taken place, 12360 East 48th Avenue, Denver, doesn't exist, according to Google. East 48th Ave has a house numbered 12350 next to one numbered 12400, but no 12360 in between. East 48th Ave is a short, curvy section of road in a residential neighborhood, and totally atypical to any of the other locations in which we've seen unexplained window shatterings.

The story was remarkably sparse: someone reported "shots fired" at a UPS truck near that address, and the police suspected that a rock was involved. Period. No description of the damage that might help assess the cause, or mention of the other window shatterings in the area. I checked to see if the reporter, Mallory E. Davis of Fox News, might be new to the area, but I found that she had filed a much longer story in late April about an I-25 shattering in which she addressed the question of whether it might be related to other shatterings.

I was interested to note, based on Margarita's earlier post, that Mallory had edited her initial report to add the bit about the police thinking that rocks, not shots were involved. I wonder what prompted that.

The maps below show the reported location of Friday's incident as a yellow teardrop.

Screenshot 2015-12-12 at 8.09.27 PM.png

Screenshot 2015-12-12 at 10.01.37 PM.png

I just realized that the area of Friday's shooting report looked very familiar. On 11/23/15, a man had been found shot dead, without explanation, in a car on Peoria St., just around the corner from where shots were reported fired at the UPS truck on 12/10/15 (the yellow teardrop). On the next day, there were three more apparently random shootings (orange circles) from four to eight miles to the south west of the 11/23/15 murder (orange star). None of the four have been solved.

See the earlier posts about the November shootings:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ge-3&p=12208386&highlight=peoria#post12208386
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ge-3&p=12208102&highlight=peoria#post12208102

Map link

Screenshot 2015-12-12 at 10.25.42 PM.png

I just realized that the area of Friday's shooting report looked very familiar. On 11/23/15, a man had been found shot dead, without explanation, in a car on Peoria St., just around the corner from where shots were reported fired at the UPS truck on 12/10/15 (the yellow teardrop). On the next day, there were three more apparently random shootings (orange circles) from four to eight miles to the south west of the 11/23/15 murder (orange star). None of the four have been solved.

See the earlier posts about the November shootings:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ge-3&p=12208386&highlight=peoria#post12208386
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ge-3&p=12208102&highlight=peoria#post12208102

Map link

View attachment 85688

I just noticed a piece by HSING TSENG of Fox31 Denver, Suspect wanted for murder in Denver also wanted in bar shooting in Aurora, in which she reported that Aurora Police have identified a suspect in the 11/23/15 killing that I had mentioned above - the one in which one D-Andre Mayfield, 20, was found dead in his car in the Montebello neighborhood of Denver (at the yellow tear drop in the map above).

The suspect, Kenneth Banks, is also wanted in connection with an incident in which "A woman was killed in a double shooting in the east parking lot of the Montview Bar and Grill at Montview Boulevard and Nome Street in Aurora just before 1:40 a.m. on Nov. 20, 2015" - but not, apparently, in any of the other four shootings that I thought might be related.

Here's a picture of the suspect:

banks.jpg

You may recall, from months ago, some eyebrows having been raised at Foxfire's suggestion that some of the seemingly random shootings on NoCO roads this year might possibly involve Arab terrorists. That seems less far fetched today, in light of news coming out of the San Bernadino case:

"Enrique Marquez, the former neighbor and close friend of San Bernardino shooter Syed Rizwan Farook, has been charged with conspiring with Farook in 2011 and 2012 to commit crimes of terrorism, including attacks on Riverside City College and the 91 freeway. ... Marquez told FBI agents he and Farook had planned a "rush-hour" attack on Highway 91 in which they would use bombs and guns to kill their victims, then target first responders when they arrived." RICHARD K. DE ATLEY , The Press Enterprise, SAN BERNARDINO SHOOTING: Marquez charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism

That said, crazed Caucasians are clearly the leading cause of attributed random shootings in Colorado so far this year.

Bringing this post over from the breaking news thread:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/12/17/friend-of-san-bernardino-gunman-expected-to-be-charged/

Snip

During 10 days of questioning, beginning four days after the San Bernardino attacks and ending Wednesday, Marquez allegedly told investigators that the rifles used by Farook and Malik were originally purchased for Farook as part of the preparations for the college and highway plots.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/12/17/reports-charges-filed-san-bernardino-massacre/77470542/

"Highway plots"...

http://www.9news.com/story/news/loc...shot-during-northglenn-traffic-stop/77623778/

Officer shot during Northglenn traffic stop

KUSA - Northglenn Police say an officer was treated an released after being shot multiple times early Saturday morning. The officer's bulletproof vest prevented any serious injury.

The incident started around 1:10 a.m. at 112th Avenue and Huron Street at a Diamond Shamrock gas station.
<snipped - read more>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/1...ullets-in-highway-shooting.html?intcmp=hplnws

this is an interesting story about a highway shooting in Oklahoma on I-40...and there is a suspect in custody...initially charged with DUI, more charges are expected on Monday...the trucker was driving a late night run and said a pickup truck sped past him twice within a ten minute period...the second time he heard what sounded like a rock and stopped to check out what turned out to be a bullet...plus three more holes...I wonder if LE was able to match the casing to a gun the suspect owns?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/1...ullets-in-highway-shooting.html?intcmp=hplnws

this is an interesting story about a highway shooting in Oklahoma on I-40...and there is a suspect in custody...initially charged with DUI, more charges are expected on Monday...the trucker was driving a late night run and said a pickup truck sped past him twice within a ten minute period...the second time he heard what sounded like a rock and stopped to check out what turned out to be a bullet...plus three more holes...I wonder if LE was able to match the casing to a gun the suspect owns?

Wow, searchinGirl, this is very tragic..

<snipped from link & BBM>
"With the scope of this investigation, it takes a lot of time to put all the information together," Brown said. "We have many different crime scenes; it's a massive undertaking."

The two people killed were 45-year-old Jeffrey Kent Powell of Arapaho and 63-year-old Billie Jean West of Lone Wolf. Powell was fatally shot in the Caddo County town of Hydro; West was killed 10 miles away in Weatherford. At least four other vehicles were struck by gunfire.

Yes, the shootings on I-40 are quite tragic...and it's interesting to note the difference in the way the two articles are written...one with a focus on the victims that were killed, the distance the shooter traveled, and the vehicles that were hit... the other article speaks mostly about the trucker who survived and led them to the suspect...just shaking my head wondering what makes someone do something like this?

Yes, the shootings on I-40 are quite tragic...and it's interesting to note the difference in the way the two articles are written...one with a focus on the victims that were killed, the distance the shooter traveled, and the vehicles that were hit... the other article speaks mostly about the trucker who survived and led them to the suspect...just shaking my head wondering what makes someone do something like this?

<BBM for Focus>

The motive for the I-40 shootings should be interesting, searchinGirl. Seems that he was determined to kill the trucker, by waiting for him to pass, and then completing a second drive by shooting. The number of I-40 casualties could have been much higher..

<BBM for Focus>

The motive for the I-40 shootings should be interesting, searchinGirl. Seems that he was determined to kill the trucker, by waiting for him to pass, and then completing a second drive by shooting. The number of I-40 casualties could have been much higher..

I'm sure we can assume he was drunk or on drugs...I don't recall reading if the fatalities caused cars to go out of control and cause more harm...but your point about his determination has to be correct...the shooter wanted the big rig to cause much more damage...one trivial observation is that here in Colorado there were several window shatterings where the driver heard what he thought to be a gunshot that was later dismissed as rock debris and in this case the trucker heard what he thought to be a rock but found a shell casing...

Prolly be more vehicles shot/windows shattered on I-40, but the drivers thought/assumed it was due to road debris/rocks, etc..& didn't call it in to law enforcement.. & linkage blindness..

You may recall, from months ago, some eyebrows having been raised at Foxfire's suggestion that some of the seemingly random shootings on NoCO roads this year might possibly involve Arab terrorists. That seems less far fetched today, in light of news coming out of the San Bernadino case:

Rsbm

I've been wanting to say that while it has NOT been determined that anything pertaining to the incidents in this thread that encompasses the highway shooting of CR, as well as the killings of JJ and WC and the mysterious window shatterings has been established to be the work of anyone affiliated with a larger terrorist organization, um, WOW to Foxfire for bringing this to our attention as a possibility (NS, etc) eeearly on in these threads, months before the Paris attacks and San Bernadino. I am very impressed. I was watching the Republican Debate the other night and the Counter-Terrorism Joint Task Force was mentioned, along with some other things, and I was like, "I already know about all that, because Foxfire told me about it months ago!"

Foxfire, you rock.

:yourock:

I've been wanting to say that while it has NOT been determined that anything pertaining to the incidents in this thread that encompass the highway shooting of CR, as well as the killings of JJ and WC and the mysterious window shatterings has been established to be the work of anyone affiliated with a larger terrorist organization, um, WOW to Foxfire for bringing this to our attention as a possibility (NS, etc) eeearly on in these threads, months before the Paris attacks and San Bernadino. I am very impressed. I was watching the Republican Debate the other night and the Counter-Terrorism Joint Task Force was mentioned, along with some other things, and I was like, "I already know about all that, because Foxfire told me about it months ago!"

Foxfire, you rock.

Magz, you have to own this thread a little too.

Magz, you have to own this thread a little too.

Agree. Plus with your persistence and Forager maps along with Foxfire igniting the flames along with Margarita25 dedication and all the consistency of the dedicated sluethers that remains faithful to the thread; Tells me that All you guys rock.

Big hugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member