OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I don't think it will be turned back over to the family.

Seems like not in the near future, plus, they have to consider debt claims.....that could get interesting. JMO

It depends on a will and state law. In most places I would think a parent is usually a closer relative than a sibling.
Wouldn't it go to the children in some sort of trust account? That's why I couldn't necessarily buy into the idea of a family dispute over property. CRSR'S children were killed, but if the property was passed on to HIS children, when they died it pass on to THEIR children who were mercifully spared.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Unless it has changed, Ohio descent and distribution means if no surviving children it would go the grandchildren. It would go to Geneva if there were no surviving grandchildren.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2105.06

See? That is an example of each state law. "Descent" was the word I was looking for. I kept thinking "law of succession" which works but not term usually used here.

Wouldn't it go to the children in some sort of trust account? That's why I couldn't necessarily buy into the idea of a family dispute over property. CRSR'S children were killed, but if the property was passed on to HIS children, when they died it pass on to THEIR children who were mercifully spared.

It could, it all depends on state laws. Each state has their own laws. Someone posted OH law and it looks like they designate grandchildren.

@chrisgraves

Last Rhoden family victim, Kenneth, will be buried tomorrow in Piketon. #pikecounty #cgnow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That has to be hard on the family. Getting through today just to have to go to another funeral tomorrow. Sad.

Seems like not in the near future, plus, they have to consider debt claims.....that could get interesting. JMO

Dollars to Donuts there is no debt, and if the property was in the rears it would be public record and probably posted here. JMO They didn't owe anybody anything, if anything they had an account at a local store and paid it monthly, maybe that's not paid. jmo idk

https://www.uslandrecords.com/uslr/UslrApp/index.jsp

You can follow that link to see land records for Pike County, Ohio. They can be extremely useful for clarification purposes.

There is a quitclaim deed that indicates there was a legal divorce in 1995 for the parents of Kenneth and Chris, Sr.

There are also documents that indicate Clarence did in fact have a will when he died.

UGH. Is that possibly why the children survived????? JMO

Dollars to Donuts there is no debt, and if the property was in the rears it would be public record and probably posted here. JMO They didn't owe anybody anything, if anything they had an account at a local store and paid it monthly, maybe that's not paid. jmo idk
IIRC They owed some property tax on some land but it was very little as the land wasn't accessed as worth much.

This land isn't that valuable, and there isn't that much of it. There are also multiple owners on some of the property.

Not that it isn't possible it's related to the land, it just doesn't seem likely.

That has to be hard on the family. Getting through today just to have to go to another funeral tomorrow. Sad.

I think all the funerals were today, all buried today except Kenneth who will be buried tomorrow.

Maybe so family members can go to his burial (cemetery)

Just curious, what would the state do with the land if they seize it? If it isn't that valuable even if they auction it off would the proceeds offset the expense?

That doesn't seem likely to me. Much of the land I saw was also classified as timber land which isn't valued at much. The property taxes on one piece of land I saw was like $48 a year, timber classification usually has a very low tax amount.

I didn't dig into the property but didn't see anything that jumped out as being really worth anything.

Just curious, what would the state do with the land if they seize it? If it isn't that valuable even if they auction it off would the proceeds offset the expense?

I would think they would auction it off.

Here when items are seized in drug cases, they auction them off.

The state also auctions property regularly for delinquent property taxes so auctioning off property isn't something foreign to a state.

I don't think them towing vehicles is to protect the property. It's still a crime scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member