Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it did get redacted. I remember them saying they had those pings more inland, but then that fell off the radar as they released more info.

Thread 1 page 40-ish there is lots of discussion about a cell phone ping from B's phone having gone inland into Williamsburg Co. and then back toward the coast & Georgetown. All links I can find are expired and when I do a Google search I turn up no results. Was this information redacted? If so, for inaccuracy or secrecy? If it's true then it could be very important with regard to where Brittanee was held. Does anyone recall how this lead panned out?

It is not uncommon for new agency to take down old items or links unfortunately IMO. Tthere is a way to find old items through cache I believe, but I don't know how to do it maybe someone else knows. I did find a NG transcript from Jan. 2014.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Turn (ph) to Seven Mile Road because this has always remained a place of interest for Brittanee`s cell phone. And basically, that`s really all we have.

Note - This would be one road over from Old Collins Creek Rd.

This was interesting from the same transcript:

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hundreds of leads and thousands of man hours later, Myrtle Beach detectives have what they`re calling a substantial lead to work on in the Brittanee Drexel case.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We got a call from someone that had met a person that made unusual statements and gave some information that they thought was unusual and suspicious.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The then 17-year-old was on spring break in Myrtle Beach on April 25th, 2009, when she disappeared. She was last seen leaving the Blue Water Resort on Ocean Boulevard. The teenager`s cell phone transmitted its last signal in southern Georgetown County the day after she went missing. But Lieutenant Capp says that area will not be the focus of this latest search.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: (INAUDIBLE) a little bit closer to home and closer to our jurisdiction. But we`d rather remain vague at this point.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Capp says the case remains very active, and investigators constantly follow new leads. But this latest tip is better than even the tipster was aware.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: They contacted us, and with our knowledge of the case, we were actually more interested than that person even realized.

From a another part of same:

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: And now Myrtle Beach police investigators are releasing new information, saying that they are looking at even more people who may have been involved.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There`s a couple more we`re looking at now.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: So there`s more persons of interest in the case?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yes, there is.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: About how many, would you say?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: At least one more.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: With more. So four or five?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: One will always lead to another, to another, to another. We know that. One word could break the case.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: A team of investigators has been working on this case. Some of them even wear "Help find Brittanee " bracelets. They say they have to be tight-lipped about it all because it is an active investigation. But they say they are just one good lead away from making an arrest.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Do you think, in the end, one arrest will be made or several? Do you think it was a group?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think, in the end, there will be several arrests, but it`s going to start with one, and then the domino effect will occur. And one right after another, people will start talking.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1401/10/ng.01.html

I did find an old article that mentions that PB & company attended a college party after Brittanee left their hotel but before they returned to ROC. Is this the party that you guys are remembering? This is one of the few articles that I can find that still works after all these years.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=7479898&page=1

Thanks for finding that article LLLindsayy! That must be the party I remembered reading about.

Thread 1 page 40-ish there is lots of discussion about a cell phone ping from B's phone having gone inland into Williamsburg Co. and then back toward the coast & Georgetown. All links I can find are expired and when I do a Google search I turn up no results. Was this information redacted? If so, for inaccuracy or secrecy? If it's true then it could be very important with regard to where Brittanee was held. Does anyone recall how this lead panned out?
You can plug dead links into archive.org and see the different revisions a link has gone through. Doesn't work for every link but most it does. I wish there was a way that any link posted on WS would automatically get submitted to the Wayback machine so we would always be able to go back to it if it changed or was removed.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Thread 4 post 349 (that was you stillwater!): A broken link was quoted as saying -

"17-year-old Brittanee Drexel was last seen leaving the Blue Water Resort on Ocean Boulevard around 8:45 p.m. Saturday - April 25. Myrtle Beach police say her cell phone beamed a signal about an hour later to a cell tower near the North Santee community in Georgetown County. The cell sat still for the next few hours while it beamed signals before going dead. An exhaustive search of that area turned up nothing."

I know this isn't new information. BUT...I don't remember reading the tidbit about her cell having sat still for a few hours before it went dead. This would indicate to me a couple of things - 1. This is the disposal area of the phone (but probably not Brittanee) and 2. It is probably not in the water (it would have died more immediately after coming into contact with the water).

Reading over the threads brings to light the discrepancies we've seen over the years with regard to timelines and phone pings. I do think that somewhere along the line of phone pings is where Brittanee was held captive and I do believe the last place the phone pinged is where the phone was disposed of. Also, IMO, Brittanee was let out of the car before her phone was -- I don't think the perp(s) was driving around with a kidnapped girl in their car longer than they had to be.

What do yall think about this?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/1...pearances-brittanee-drexel.html#ixzz1mg0parne

Myrtle Beach detectives said they believe Drexel was abducted as she walked the one-mile stretch of Ocean Boulevard between the two hotels. She may have been snatched off the street, Vella said, or willingly accepted a ride “from the wrong person.”
They also said Drexel was likely alive and with her phone when it gave off its last signal in Georgetown County.

This is from a 2012 article. Remember investigators were not able to pinpoint the exact location of BD's phone because GPS technology at the time was not as advanced and there were very few towers in the area for triangulation. IIRC only one tower picked up the signal.

https://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/2012/06/01/cell-tower-triangulation-how-it-works/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/1...pearances-brittanee-drexel.html#ixzz1mg0parne

This is from a 2012 article. Remember investigators were not able to pinpoint the exact location of BD's phone because GPS technology at the time was not as advanced and there were very few towers in the area for triangulation. IIRC only one tower picked up the signal.

https://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/2012/06/01/cell-tower-triangulation-how-it-works/

Good find stillwatersc! I've read a few stories of cases being solved due to advances in wireless technology.

Good find. Since the area her phone had to be in was in was not very accurate (I think somebody said 4-5 miles in diameter) LE must have been using information other than the cell pings to come to the conclusion she was with her phone at that time.

I found this interview with the girl that experienced the attempted kidnapping in 2010...[video=youtube;Xl8yFGkGSTI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl8yFGkGSTI[/video]

I started a thread for Britt on McVl's Topix forum.
Great idea, the more talk, the more interest. Someone will be stupid somewhere and say something.
<mod snip> I think there needs to be more comments and chatter on there so when someone does give their
Two cents they won't think they will stand out. <mod snip>

Sharing topix links are usually against TOS. You definitely cannot discuss anything from there on this thread. Just a heads up.

Sharing topix links are usually against TOS. You definitely cannot discuss anything from there on this thread. Just a heads up.

That place is like YouTube comments in a message board format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member