GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to remind myself that some of us are a little more personally invested in this case

Hello everyone, I've been following the threads for awhile but this is my first time posting. I live on a neighboring island and am so heartbroken about this crime. Poor Charli and Joshua and their family.

All of you make very good points. I think there are so many pieces to this puzzle and I'm not sure any of us could put it together exactly where the pieces go. I honestly believe as I'm sure most of you do that Steven is responsible for Charli and Joshua's death. I also believe he committed the murder. I have a hard time believing that he had an accomplice but anything is possible. I'm trying to keep an open mind as the facts are presented. The lack of DNA evidence is surprising to me. Everything was so disorganized I would expect there to be more DNA left. Regardless I think there is enough circumstantial evidence to prove Steven is responsible for their murder. I hope the jury will agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:
By the way...WE ARE PENN STATE!
I know, I know, most of you are in Hawaii but it just ended. holy cow! What an amazing game for a town that really needed that huge win to continue rebuilding the damage done by Sandusky. For every evil there is a good. And that is a good thought.

I am a football dyslectic, but :yeahthat:

Hello everyone, I've been following the threads for awhile but this is my first time posting. I live on a neighboring island and am so heartbroken about this crime. Poor Charli and Joshua and their family.

All of you make very good points. I think there are so many pieces to this puzzle and I'm not sure any of us could put it together exactly where the pieces go. I honestly believe as I'm sure most of you do that Steven is responsible for Charli and Joshua's death. I also believe he committed the murder. I have a hard time believing that he had an accomplice but anything is possible. I'm trying to keep an open mind as the facts are presented. The lack of DNA evidence is surprising to me. Everything was so disorganized I would expect there to be more DNA left. Regardless I think there is enough circumstantial evidence to prove Steven is responsible for their murder. I hope the jury will agree.

Welcome! I started to reply yesterday, but the forum ate my post on my phone by pulling an auto-reload in mid post. Welcome, and very glad you added your voice.

I think there was DNA left a-plenty. Earlier motions quoted comments from prosecution saying the DNA was too degraded by exposure to the rain and general environment, so what they got didn't give them much usable information.

Regarding the idea that SC set up or wished to set up a fake carjacking and real beating, it is possible, but these are my sticking points. If he was planning to set this up, then there's still no viable explanation of why he didn't also set up his broken down vehicle story. Without his story of why Charli was out Hana Highway (to be in position for this supposed carjacking), then no one would believe she just went out there alone after the birthday party in Haiku, after a long day of work and working early the next morning, and very pregnant.

Another point is that carjacking isn't a thing on the island like it is on the mainland, so it wouldn't be readily accepted. I can't remember every hearing a story about an incident like that. What people will go for is when they see a pattern. In this part of Maui, the disappearances of Laura Vogel and Mo Monsalves had set up a local predisposition to entertain the idea that someone may be making women disappear never to be seen again. I do think Steven was pointing towards that, and in the alternative, he suggested that Charli may have angered a person or persons who might retaliate. The latter one might have led to a beat down, it is true. But a beat down on a pregnant woman is not very believable here by the public, IMHO. I just can't recall it happening. Domestic abuse of family members is extremely common though.

Welcome! I started to reply yesterday, but the forum ate my post on my phone by pulling an auto-reload in mid post. Welcome, and very glad you added your voice.

I think there was DNA left a-plenty. Earlier motions quoted comments from prosecution saying the DNA was too degraded by exposure to the rain and general environment, so what they got didn't give them much usable information.

I totally agree! I think there was plenty of DNA but it was no match for the tropical sun and rain. Again, I really wish the prosecution would continue to fight for the admission of the incriminating DNA that they DO have - SC's hair in the pocket of the bloody jeans. The defense argued that it would impact SC's right to a "fair trial". A fair trial, IMHO, is a trial in which the jury gets to hear ALL of the evidence!! Why ask the jury to make a decision without all of the facts?

Right but hopefully there is some sort of story line here that follows the sonogram
I looked around the social media and found an Ashley Silva on Maui with Big Island family, young, pretty. Not a forensic person or medical professional that I can tell. Silva is, as you know, a common surname here, so I can't assume it is her without seeing some more direct tie to the case. I hope she gets to testify, since Rivera is for it. There is also a photography pro website with that name that seems to belong to a male Ashley Silva. So I will just wait and see.

Regarding the idea that SC set up or wished to set up a fake carjacking and real beating, it is possible, but these are my sticking points. If he was planning to set this up, then there's still no viable explanation of why he didn't also set up his broken down vehicle story. Without his story of why Charli was out Hana Highway (to be in position for this supposed carjacking), then no one would believe she just went out there alone after the birthday party in Haiku, after a long day of work and working early the next morning, and very pregnant.

Another point is that carjacking isn't a thing on the island like it is on the mainland, so it wouldn't be readily accepted. I can't remember every hearing a story about an incident like that. What people will go for is when they see a pattern. In this part of Maui, the disappearances of Laura Vogel and Mo Monsalves had set up a local predisposition to entertain the idea that someone may be making women disappear never to be seen again. I do think Steven was pointing towards that, and in the alternative, he suggested that Charli may have angered a person or persons who might retaliate. The latter one might have led to a beat down, it is true. But a beat down on a pregnant woman is not very believable here by the public, IMHO. I just can't recall it happening. Domestic abuse of family members is extremely common though.

Im going to agree with you in theory. I think part of the problem we are experiencing here is that Rivera has taken us down a road so far that I can barely remember the true crux of this case. Det Loo and Hamilton and Capo contradicting himself with lie after lie. Remember the broken down truck story? Barely. I hope Rivera can bring this back around somehow. Its not as complicated as its starting to spin out to be.

I agree, PT. The latest testimony with all of the inconclusive DNA results has probably thoroughly confused the jury and thrown doubt on SC's culpability. I don't believe there was an accomplice. In the simplest terms, this was an evil murder perpetrated by an insane and desperate man. It was not thought through and loose ends were left everywhere. If MPD had investigated Paraquats one or two days earlier, this would've been solved years ago, IMHO. I feel so sad for Charli's family, for all of the people who loved her. I really hope justice is served.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm kind of surprised at the cognitive dissonance that seems to be going on about the DNA results.

Only a small portion of the DNA was so degraded or partial that the results were 'inconclusive.'

I notice that people seem resistant to modify their pre-existing theories or create new theories to account for the DNA results, seemingly out of their desire to view the crime as "simple," and not a little more complicated than originally thought. But the surprising DNA results about the gray hoodie and the jeans were certainly not inconclusive or just some fluke.

I wonder if Steven's grandmother did his laundry for him...She could've touched all those clothes and been a contributor of her DNA. And I believe Steven was showering when he was chatting w/ Cass on Sunday night, so that could be why his DNA didn't get imprinted on the clothes if he was nice & clean & didn't sweat a lot.

I agree, PT. The latest testimony with all of the inconclusive DNA results has probably thoroughly confused the jury and thrown doubt on SC's culpability. I don't believe there was an accomplice. In the simplest terms, this was an evil murder perpetrated by an insane and desperate man. It was not thought through and loose ends were left everywhere. If MPD had investigated Paraquats one or two days earlier, this would've been solved years ago, IMHO. I feel so sad for Charli's family, for all of the people who loved her. I really hope justice is served.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree with both you and PT. This is not rocket science. This is premeditated murder perpetrated by the only person with a motive, a person who has been caught lying on tape.

Sending love to Charli's family and friends. This long trial must be agony for them.

The prosecution will bring it home by reminding them of Ginseng Mileur's testimony on day 1:

Rivera: Did the defendant pose any question to you that caused you to take notice?
Ginseng Mileur: Yeah, it was a fairly unusual question he asked me at work one day.
Rivera: And what question is that?
GM: He asked me what would be the best way to get away with a murder.
Source: Court Chatter on YouTube

The prosecution will remind the jury of Kimberlyn Scott's characterization of SC's tone on Tuesday evening:

Kimberlyn Scott characterized Capobianco’s tone as being “out of context for being in a room full of people that were afraid for someone.” She said, “He was being a smart *advertiser censored*.”

http://mauinow.com/2016/07/26/charlis-mom-testifies-capobiancos-tone-was-out-of-context/

Evidence is more than DNA. All witness testimony is evidence.
I remain convinced that the jury will return a guilty verdict.

I'm kind of surprised at the cognitive dissonance that seems to be going on about the DNA results.

Only a small portion of the DNA was so degraded or partial that the results were 'inconclusive.'

I notice that people seem resistant to modify their pre-existing theories or create new theories to account for the DNA results, seemingly out of their desire to view the crime as "simple," and not a little more complicated than originally thought. But the surprising DNA results about the gray hoodie and the jeans were certainly not inconclusive or just some fluke.

I wonder if Steven's grandmother did his laundry for him...She could've touched all those clothes and been a contributor of her DNA. And I believe Steven was showering when he was chatting w/ Cass on Sunday night, so that could be why his DNA didn't get imprinted on the clothes if he was nice & clean & didn't sweat a lot.

Well my theory is that SC did it and he did it alone.

The DNA evidence does not disprove that theory in any way.

Thank you for the welcome Pua!

That does make a lot of sense that the environment degraded the DNA. I really wish the hair found in the jeans was admissible. It's really too bad the police didn't go out and check the location of the ping sooner.

Well my theory is that SC did it and he did it alone.

The DNA evidence does not disprove that theory in any way.

I don't think I've ever spoken in terms of definitively 'proving' or 'disproving' anything. That's an impossibility in this case, sadly, although much of the testimony suggests that Steven is the likely culprit, so we can work from there.

However, there is non-Steven, non-Charli DNA found on the items, and I'm surprised that no one is making an attempt to account for it in their theories. Pretending that the conundrum doesn't exist is baffling to me.
To summarize:

Steven's DNA not definitively found on any of the items tested

Gray hoodie: DNA of 2 individuals present, Steven Capobianco & Charli excluded

Gray hoodie & blue DKNY jeans: Items found miles apart but both items have the genetic contribution of someone with the genetic code "29" in the exact same position of DNA; this code does not belong to Steven or Charli.

None of this stuff was 'inconclusive.' ^

Plenty of the evidence DOES prove things !!!!!!
The tapes of Steven Capobianco lying countless times to police PROVE that he lied countless times. When all anyone else knew was that Charli was missing and there wasn't a resource or moment to spare to find her.

It is no impossibility.

Plenty of the evidence DOES prove things !!!!!!
The tapes of Steven Capobianco lying countless times to police PROVE that he lied countless times. When all anyone else knew was that Charli was missing and there wasn't a resource or moment to spare to find her.

<modsnip>
That is valuable evidence for sure, RDS, but not proof. And it's circumstantial evidence, no less.
<modsnip>. I am actively trying to place this new, very interesting DNA evidence into the scenario of STEVEN ACTING ALONE TO KILL CHARLI.
That's why I'm suggesting his grandmother might've done his laundry and deposited her DNA on his clothing. That's why I'm suggesting that his showering right before meeting Charli caused there to be no DNA left on his clothes.

It is no impossibility.
Where did I ever imply that it was?
At this point, I believe the same thing you believe about this case<modsnip>.

A few years ago, my house was burglarized. I'd installed new windows and left the kitchen one unlocked. I had not yet placed the alarm company stickers on the new windows.

The burglars took a small, inexpensive digital camera, set off the burglar alarm, and left in a big hurry, leaving behind a purse and cell phone.

The police came and dusted the windows for fingerprints.

The absence of any viable fingerprints on the window frames did not disprove that my house was burglarized. Clearly, it was. The burglar alarm was triggered, an item was missing from my home, and items not belonging to me were left behind.

Similarly, the absence of SC's DNA on clothing items does not prove that he wasn't there or that somebody else was there. As I mentioned before, the clothing could have been pre-owned. Maybe his grandfather or his step-brother gave him some clothes to use when working on cars. Maybe he got some clothes from a thrift store. Maybe the gray hoodie was left by someone else who was out there fishing or surfing on another occasion.

A few years ago, my house was burglarized. I'd installed new windows and left the kitchen one unlocked. I had not yet placed the alarm company stickers on the new windows.

The burglars took a small, inexpensive digital camera, set off the burglar alarm, and left in a big hurry, leaving behind a purse and cell phone.

The police came and dusted the windows for fingerprints.

The absence of any viable fingerprints on the window frames did not disprove that my house was burglarized. Clearly, it was. The burglar alarm was triggered, an item was missing from my home, and items not belonging to me were left behind.

Similarly, the absence of SC's DNA on clothing items does not prove that he wasn't there or that somebody else was there. As I mentioned before, the clothing could have been pre-owned. Maybe his grandfather or his step-brother gave him some clothes to use when working on cars. Maybe he got some clothes from a thrift store. Maybe the gray hoodie was left by someone else who was out there fishing or surfing on another occasion.

I agree. There are so many ways that another person's DNA could have been deposited on the clothing. My first thought when I heard the DNA testimony about the articles of clothing was that he could have bought a pair of jeans from a thrift store or garage sale to do his dirty work.

I think at this point there is enough evidence pointing to him in his lies and the things he asked/ said to people. When the trial started, I feared he would get away with it, but shortly thereafter the evidence kept building. The lies. The fact that he asked how to get away with murder. The fact that his alibi was completely smashed by witnesses and security cameras. In my opinion this was a cold, cruel, pre-meditated murder. A selfish and disturbed young man who didn't want to grow up and be a father. I pray that the jury convicts him and gives him the harshest sentence they can. I pray that somehow Charli and Joshua are found and brought home for proper burial.

In the olden days when we didn't have DNA evidence cases were tried without it. Is DNA the be all and end all of justice now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15