Day Number 1 What Convinces You There Was No Intruder/12 Days of JonBenet

Hi PL,

I can't easily post a link on this device, but these simple steps will take you to the portion of the A&E video where Bill Kurtis descends the spiral staircase and goes directly from there down the stairs to the butler's pantry.

Go to YouTube and search for A&E Jonbenet Ramsey documentary
Open Part 4
Advance the video to 4:23

A link posted up thread shows a floor plan with a room for some reason labeled Lower Hall. That's the butler's pantry : )

Hi PL,

I can't easily post a link on this device, but these simple steps will take you to the portion of the A&E video where Bill Kurtis descends the spiral staircase and goes directly from there down the stairs to the butler's pantry.

Go to YouTube and search for A&E Jonbenet Ramsey documentary
Open Part 4
Advance the video to 4:23

A link posted up thread shows a floor plan with a room for some reason labeled Lower Hall. That's the butler's pantry : )

My old friend Bill Kurtis (be still my heart).

Thanks, Meara. I haven't watched this for a long time. Just watched some of Parts 4 & 5. What stood out for me now was that I think Hort was onto Alex Hunter. Check out Part 5, starting around the 2:40 mark.

Here's the link:
https://youtu.be/QofH2gBtC6A?list=PL7CF589A1EED10C10

What convinces me there was no intruder.

1. Patsy's fake voice, her choice of words, as well as what she didn't say, on the 911 call.
2. Neither of them running outside to see if there were car tracks leading away from the house, or going to raise every neighbour and asking - did you see anything or hear anything in the night. Asking a neighbour to call police and explaining the importance of the kidnapper's instructions.
3. The ransom note devoting one paragraph to the ransom money and 2 pages on how JonBenet would end up dying. And of course, being in Patsy's handwriting and bearing her hallmarks.
4. Keeping Burke in his bedroom for over an hour - if you want information on someone who stalked your home in the night, you don't exclude any member of the family who is old enough to comprehend what the emergency is, and who may have heard something in the night, or even seen the intruder, or a familiar adult, and been threatened to keep quiet.

Also, the neighbor behind the Ramsey home had a dog who was known to bark when he heard anyone in the alley was NOT heard to bark that night.

My old friend Bill Kurtis (be still my heart).

Thanks, Meara. I haven't watched this for a long time. Just watched some of Parts 4 & 5. What stood out for me now was that I think Hort was onto Alex Hunter. Check out Part 5, starting around the 2:40 mark.

Here's the link:
https://youtu.be/QofH2gBtC6A?list=PL7CF589A1EED10C10

Right before that is the statement by Bill Kurtis that keeps me in the fight: that this case "is an example of where our justice system is headed." Well, that's the point I've tried to make for lo, these many years, except my argument isn't that it's an example of where our justice system is headed, but rather the culmination of where it has BEEN headed ever since the Warren Court made its terrible rulings back in the 1960s, rulings Alex Hunter seemed to think were brought down from the mountain by Moses.

Bottom line: Justice may be blind, but she shouldn't be handcuffed, too.

Not everyone reacts to a situation the same way. Nevertheless, I can only think that had the ransom note and kidnap been real, the Rams would not have felt safe in the house. It was a rambling place. A dangerous intruder could still have been there with them. It would have made more sense to get in the car, use a cell phone to call 911, explain the situation, ask for officers to come to the back alley in an unmarked car, and wait with Burke in the safest place they could find until police arrived and searched the house.

The factors others have posted are on my Intruder Shmintruder list too, but it has always bothered me that the Rams did not first seek safety for Burke and themselves, which would have been the instinctive response.

Fire? You get out. Earthquake? You get out? Tornado? You seek shelter. Flood? Get away if you can, or else go to the safest place and wait for help. Break-in and kidnap by a murderous foreign faction who might still have a rep on the premises, say not to call police, and warn they're monitoring you, and you scream, run all over, and stick around to make loud calls to police and friends while leaving your other child unattended? I don't think so!

Not everyone reacts to a situation the same way. Nevertheless, I can only think that had the ransom note and kidnap been real, the Rams would not have felt safe in the house. It was a rambling place. A dangerous intruder could still have been there with them. It would have made more sense to get in the car, use a cell phone to call 911, explain the situation, ask for officers to come to the back alley in an unmarked car, and wait with Burke in the safest place they could find until police arrived and searched the house.

The factors others have posted are on my Intruder Shmintruder list too, but it has always bothered me that the Rams did not first seek safety for Burke and themselves, which would have been the instinctive response.

Fire? You get out. Earthquake? You get out? Tornado? You seek shelter. Flood? Get away if you can, or else go to the safest place and wait for help. Break-in and kidnap by a murderous foreign faction who might still have a rep on the premises, say not to call police, and warn they're monitoring you, and you scream, run all over, and stick around to make loud calls to police and friends while leaving your other child unattended? I don't think so!

Hey Meara, guess who? Good to see you!

Agree -- I've said this before: if anything, BR would not have left my sight if I were a parent....I would have never left him in his room in such a big house, alone, upstairs, after finding the ransom note and not being sure if any intruder(s) was still in the house or not. Never.

Absence of fingerprints doesn't mean the paper wasn't handled. Just that fingerprints were not recoverable.
The problem with this is that the police and the investigators found NO fingerprints on the ransom note.

Is it possible that the parents could have handled the note and not left their fingerprints? Or that the paper for some reason didn't retain that kind of print?"

No, because when the sergeant touched the same pad, he left a fingerprint on it. When the CBI examiner touched the same pad, he left a fingerprint on it.

Patsy had left previous fingerprints on that pad, five that were identified. So that remains one of the mysteries in this case. How come there's no identifiable fingerprints on this thing if one or both parents handled and grasped it that morning?

And the other question is - Why didn't Patsy pick up the ransom note and carry it to the telephone and read the pertinent parts over the phone to the police? It was the only real link to her missing daughter.

My theory is that the note was never on the stairs but was spread out on the floor by the Ramseys gloved hands. They did not want their prints to be found on the ransom note. Which left investigators wondering Why?

Well, if an 'intruder' exited the basement window then he must have been a magician.

In order to lighten the mood, here's a little scenario for you….

If you've ever watched that old detective series Columbo on TV (and who hasn't?) you will know that there are scenes where the suave male culprit always incriminates himself by offering clues to conundrums. Instead of just saying "I don't know, yes, that is strange" which is what most people would say when faced with something odd about the crime scene.

Columbo: "Sir! Just one more thing before I go…….There's something that's bothering me. It won't take a moment".

Culprit: (exasperated tone of voice) "Oh really? And what would that be?

Columbo: "Let me get this straight. You had to move the chair away from in front of the door before you could get into the room?"

Culprit: "Correct…..I had to move the chair".

Columbo: "The thing I'm trying to figure out in my mind then is, if an intruder went through the door, he'd have to pull the chair behind him….because that would have been his exit…so that's not very logical as far as……."

Culprit (interrupting): "I think it is. I mean if this person is that bizarrely clever to have not left any good evidence, but left all these little funny clues around, they…are clever enough to pull the chair back when they left.

There, I've solved it for you. Can I go now? I have a business luncheon at the golf club."

Colombo: "Oh and by the way, my wife thinks you're terrific"

The above is an actual interview between Lou Smith and JR. Taken from the book 'JonBenet -The Police Files' (just the last bit has been added)

So you see, John is admitting that when he went into the basement there was a chair in front of the basement room (train room with window). Which means.....JR must have gone down before anyone else. Officer French looked down there at 6.09am and so did Fleet White and they mention NO chair.

Well, if an 'intruder' exited the basement window then he must have been a magician.

In order to lighten the mood, here's a little scenario for you….

If you've ever watched that old detective series Columbo on TV (and who hasn't?) you will know that there are scenes where the suave male culprit always incriminates himself by offering clues to conundrums. Instead of just saying "I don't know, yes, that is strange" which is what most people would say when faced with something odd about the crime scene.

Columbo: "Sir! Just one more thing before I go…….There's something that's bothering me. It won't take a moment".

Culprit: (exasperated tone of voice) "Oh really? And what would that be?

Columbo: "Let me get this straight. You had to move the chair away from in front of the door before you could get into the room?"

Culprit: "Correct…..I had to move the chair".

Columbo: "The thing I'm trying to figure out in my mind then is, if an intruder went through the door, he'd have to pull the chair behind him….because that would have been his exit…so that's not very logical as far as……."

Culprit (interrupting): "I think it is. I mean if this person is that bizarrely clever to have not left any good evidence, but left all these little funny clues around, they…are clever enough to pull the chair back when they left.

There, I've solved it for you. Can I go now? I have a business luncheon at the golf club."

Colombo: "Oh and by the way, my wife thinks you're terrific"

The above is an actual interview between Lou Smith and JR. Taken from the book 'JonBenet -The Police Files' (just the last bit has been added)

So you see, John is admitting that when he went into the basement there was a chair in front of the basement room (train room with window). Which means.....JR must have gone down before anyone else. Officer French looked down there at 6.09am and so did Fleet White and they mention NO chair.

GREAT Columbo analogy!

There was a time when JR was noting all kinds of things out of place for some unknown reason.

But in this exchange, he doesn't mention anything about a chair:
Robert Christian Wolf v John Bennett Ramsey and Patricia Paugh Ramsey.
http://www.acandyrose.com/12122001Depo-JohnRamsey.htm
2 Q. Can you tell me where you looked?
3 A. I went back into the train room,
4 showed Fleet the broken window, explained to him
5 that I might have broken it myself months ago.
6 I showed him the suitcase that I saw under the
7 window, which I felt was very out of place.
8 We looked for any large pieces of
9 broken glass. And then I got up and went to
10 the cellar room, opened the door, and found
11 JonBenet.
12 Q. Do you remember why you decided to go
13 to the cellar door at that particular time?
14 A. It was the next door outside of the
15 train room. Other than that, no, it was a
16 methodical search, in my mind.
17 Q. Was there a reason that you hadn't
18 looked at that door the first time you went down
19 to the basement?
20 A. There is no external exit from that
21 room, so I was -- the first time I went to the
22 basement, I was trying to figure out how someone
23 could possibly have gotten into our home.
24 Q. Do you remember whether or not Fleet
25 White said anything to you while you were down in
1 the basement showing him the broken window and
2 the suitcase?
3 A. I don't remember that he said
4 anything.
5 Q. Okay. Were you the first one to go
6 to the cellar door?
7 A. I don't know.
8 Q. When you opened the cellar door, can
9 you describe, to the best of your recollection
10 today, what it was that you saw?
11 A. I saw a white blanket, and I knew
12 immediately I found JonBenet.

And from ST's book, there's this:
Smit slowly leafed through notebooks filled with evidence pictures, asking Ramsey if he noticed anything different, unusual, or out of place. The common theme was that plenty of things were strange. A box of tissues did not belong there, a pillow missing here, dust and dirt disturbed elsewhere. To Ramsey it looked as though the Tupperware container in JonBenét's bedroom had something in it (the same thing Lou Smit believed). Ramsey's testimony seemed very well rehearsed. Ramsey almost seemed to know the answers before the questions were asked. A cigar box was out of place, as was his golf bag. He pointed out marks on a keyhole and noted that an Easter basket had been moved.
When Smit showed Ramsey a photo of the unidentified boot print in the cellar, Ramsey's private investigator was allowed to lean over and draw the pattern. When the detectives reviewed the videotape,
Gosage threw a can of Skoal tobacco at the television screen and stormed from the room, cursing that a year's worth of work had just been handed to a prime suspect and his lawyer. Importantly, Ramsey said the "dirty" flashlight found at the scene did not belong to the family. We knew that he owned one just like it.
Smit also seemed to lose control of the interview at times and let John Ramsey question him. Ramsey asked about the stun gun, and Smit went on the videotaped record by saying that yes, he thought a stun gun had been used. It was a terrible mistake because a defense attorney would be able to show the jury that a district attorney's own investigator believed an alternate theory of the crime.

I take what he said about that chair with a grain of salt.

The ransom note. And the fact that they called the police and invited friends over when said ransom note explicitly stated for them not to tell anyone or their daughter would die. There are other things too but those are the simpliest and most obvious to me.

1. If you are the intruder and you are taking JonBenet out of her bedroom and down the stairs and into the kitchen....why in the world do you go back into the basement? Why not just take her right out the unlocked kitchen door? Why make it harder on yourself to get her out of the house?

2. The pineapple.

1. If you are the intruder and you are taking JonBenet out of her bedroom and down the stairs and into the kitchen....why in the world do you go back into the basement? Why not just take her right out the unlocked kitchen door? Why make it harder on yourself to get her out of the house?

2. The pineapple.

Agreed. And if this oddball intruder had actually forgotten to bring his ransom note with him it wouldn't have mattered because he could have sent it to the Ramseys after he had JonBenet (alive or dead) in his possession.

Sometimes a ransom note comes later.

And if he was some kind of sexual pervert whose goal it was to have JBR all to himself - he would have taken her back to his home or garage and then he would have had all the time in the world to do whatever evil he had in mind.

This forgetful kidnapper not only forgot to bring a ransom note with him, he also forgot to take his victim with him when he left.

Agreed. And if this oddball intruder had actually forgotten to bring his ransom note with him it wouldn't have mattered because he could have sent it to the Ramseys after he had JonBenet (alive or dead) in his possession.

Sometimes a ransom note comes later.

And if he was some kind of sexual pervert whose goal it was to have JBR all to himself - he would have taken her back to his home or garage and then he would have had all the time in the world to do whatever evil he had in mind.

This forgetful kidnapper not only forgot to bring a ransom note with him, he also forgot to take his victim with him when he left.

We've seen case after case where exactly what you describe happened. This one...night and day.

What convinces me there was no intruder?

The house was locked. John let slip that he had checked the house the night before. Three investigators wrote this in their notebooks. He later retracted the statement.

The ransom note. Hundreds of handwriting samples were analysed but only five could not be ruled out. It's a bit of a coincidence, isn't it, that one of those five people whose handwriting could not be ruled out was actually in the house that night.

No fingerprints (apart from those of the document analyst) were found on the ransom note (when of course there should have been).

As up to two hours elapsed between the head blow and the strangulation it means the intruder was in the house doing his evil work all that time while the family slept.

No viable DNA evidence has ever successfully pointed to another person being present.

The list is endless but you already know this.

It's that everything about the case—a case in which the stone-cold, incontrovertible facts were disturbing enough—was just wrong. When you think about the forensic evidence, the hours of interviews, the man power spent on the investigation, you wonder how crimes ever get solved. Because wasn't there enough to go on to solve this one? Were the police dealing with criminal masterminds? Or does a bold-faced lie just become all the more powerful when there's an ingrained class system and a hefty sack of funds at the ready to back it up?

Miz...

The house was locked. John let slip that he had checked the house the night before. Three investigators wrote this in their notebooks. He later retracted the statement.
THis is one of the simple things in the case that I don't understand although I guess when they were put into a situation where they are overthinking things, the small stuff can easily slide by.

He could've so easily said him and his wife had been drinking and he might have forgot to lock all the doors. Its simple, to the point, and instantly allows the possibility for the phantom intruder.

The dust and cobwebs were not disturbed. The ransom note was left on the bottom of the spiral staircase, not on JBR's bed, or say the kitchen counter. PR called police and friends dispite the fact that her child would be "beheaded", if she did so. There was no intruder.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cramirez4u
Back