Mexico Mexico - Jenny Chen, 26, Oaxaca, 11 April 2016 #4

Thank you, southlanecherry. Yes, you did just translate this for us here. Thank you for bringing it to the new thread.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-3&p=13626531#post13626531

Also....

I would like to reiterate southlanecherry's reminder that the Chinese embassy did not participate in and does not support the search for Jenny in Mexico.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-3&p=13628366#post13628366

GigTu, for the sake of accuracy, I again respectfully disagree about this post you've brought over from thread #3. Please don't hesitate to correct me if I've misunderstood. :)

I'll go into more detail than I did in my previous reply on thread #3. The post linked and quoted in your post and below is by Jersey Girl from thread #1, and is not a comment from southanecherry. The statement you have highlighted is JR speaking about the American embassy, translated from the article linked below as follows (google translate)....

"In the same way, the American citizen detailed that the embassy of his country does not support him in the search of his wife,
because she resides in the United States with a permanent visa and despite being married three years..."
BBM

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-1&p=12564154#post12564154

http://www.nvinoticias.com/nota/8660/esposo-busca-china-desaparecida

The words "Chinese Embassy" were added in brackets (by Jerseygirl?) but do not appear in the translation, and context shows he is speaking about the US Embassy. I know that "his" and "her" get transposed in translation, but I don't believe that's the case here. He repeatedly criticized the U.S. and Chinese Government for not helping him, but the passage in the article quoted above speaks only of one government, the U.S. according to context. He refers to both in the link cited below from King5 news.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle-woman-disappears-hitchhiking-through-mexico/153002008

Although I agree that southlanecherry has indicated that the "help" the Chinese Embassy gave Jenny's family had a political twist, we all know from the Chinese Embassy press release with photos of her parents that they said they did engage with LE in several states. So to that extent they did "participate in and support" the search for Jenny up to a point. We really can't claim they didn't without claiming the press release was a total fabrication IMO. This is as close to established fact as we can get, no matter how we or JR may feel about the "help" they gave.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-3&p=13626531#post13626531

Again, apologies if I've misunderstood you. I'm happy to be set straight so we're all on the same page. :)

Thank you all. I don't believe any of JRs words so if that stemmed from his opinion then I'm completely ignoring it. Quotes of quotes of quotes is a bad road to follow.

So, to be clear..... the Chinese Embassy DOES support the search for Jenny? Then? Now?

You are always so diligent, Lilibet!

GigTu, for the sake of accuracy, I again respectfully disagree about this post you've brought over from thread #3. Please don't hesitate to correct me if I've misunderstood. :)

I'll go into more detail than I did in my previous reply on thread #3. The post linked and quoted in your post and below is by Jersey Girl from thread #1, and is not a comment from southanecherry. The statement you have highlighted is JR speaking about the American embassy, translated from the article linked below as follows (google translate)....

"In the same way, the American citizen detailed that the embassy of his country does not support him in the search of his wife,
because she resides in the United States with a permanent visa and despite being married three years..."
BBM

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...axaca-11-April-2016-1&p=12564154#post12564154

http://www.nvinoticias.com/nota/8660/esposo-busca-china-desaparecida

The words "Chinese Embassy" were added in brackets (by Jerseygirl?) but do not appear in the translation, and context shows he is speaking about the US Embassy. I know that "his" and "her" get transposed in translation, but I don't believe that's the case here. He repeatedly criticized the U.S. and Chinese Government for not helping him, but the passage in the article quoted above speaks only of one government, the U.S. according to context. He refers to both in the link cited below from King5 news.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/seattle-woman-disappears-hitchhiking-through-mexico/153002008

Although I agree that southlanecherry has indicated that the "help" the Chinese Embassy gave Jenny's family had a political twist, we all know from the Chinese Embassy press release with photos of her parents that they said they did engage with LE in several states. So to that extent they did "participate in and support" the search for Jenny up to a point. We really can't claim they didn't without claiming the press release was a total fabrication IMO. This is as close to established fact as we can get, no matter how we or JR may feel about the "help" they gave.

Again, apologies if I've misunderstood you. I'm happy to be set straight so we're all on the same page. :)

Thank you all. I don't believe any of JRs words so if that stemmed from his opinion then I'm completely ignoring it. Quotes of quotes of quotes is a bad road to follow.

So, to be clear..... the Chinese Embassy DOES support the search for Jenny? Then? Now?

All's well. Headspinning and whiplash are an occupational casualty of this thread. :D That's why I'm working on a Media and SM thread...coming soon.

We don't know what the Chinese Embassy is doing now. We only have the infamous Embassy press release from May or June 2016 to go by. At that time it appears that they did support the search and they claimed they would continue to do so.

You warned me early on that this case was routinely awash in confusion, misinformation, and I believe you also then used the word whiplash. :laughcry:

You warned me early on that this case was routinely awash in confusion, misinformation, and I believe you also then used the word whiplash. :laughcry:

I probably did say whiplash, roller coaster and lots of descriptive words, including ones I thought but can't say here. :censored: I have never, ever seen a case that comes close to this one in obfuscation...my new favorite descriptive word. :D

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/obfuscate

GigTu, I was pointing out that Singapore is not involved in this case, because a member here wrote a letter to the Chinese Commerce Chamber of Singapore. I believe it was a mistake because the said member used google to translate the Chinese article and the translation was wrong which led him to believe Singapore was involved....

That’s great to know, southlanecherry, thanks for the accurate translation! Singapore is not all that far from Jenny’s hometown of Wenzhou, so when it was reported that the “Singapore” Chinese Chamber of Commerce had helped Jenny’s family, I took that to mean that like the Chinese embassy in Mexico, they had provided some funds for the family to make the trip to Mexico…much like Chinese people are providing funds to JR to help in the search on the site. It must have seemed logical at the time to everyone else on this forum as well, as no one raised a red flag until the member yesterday ran the Chinese characters through a different translator.

On my home computer, Chinese characters don’t display…they are seen as squares. I am also on dial-up internet access at home, which makes everything more time consuming and difficult. Yesterday, I went to a local library, where I can use a high-speed internet connection and a computer that does display Chinese characters properly. So, yesterday was the first time I saw the actual Chinese characters in question and ran them through a number of online translators.

I appreciate your offer to translate my letter for me, but I was and am hoping you would be willing to not only translate it but then send it to someone that can answer our question of whether or not Jenny has returned to her hometown in China. For me to send a translated letter would be possible, but then I would also need to have any reply translated as well. It seems more logical for you to do the sending of the letter and receiving of a reply. I think there is a good chance that you have already answered the question, by translating the Weibo posts of Jenny’s hometown friend, and that Jenny has not returned to her family. But a stronger confirmation of this might be possible.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

GigTu, I was pointing out that Singapore is not involved in this case, because a member here wrote a letter to the Chinese Commerce Chamber of Singapore. I believe it was a mistake because the said member used google to translate the Chinese article and the translation was wrong which led him to believe Singapore was involved.

Chinese embassy, however, is involved in this case, at least their political stance is to support the search of Jenny, they even went far and beyond by taking everything that Mexican police said for granted. (smirk)

I never put much stake in the Singapore connection anyway. I didn't really believe it or disbelieve it. What is important about that article was the fact Jenny's family, the Chinese Embassy in Mexico, and Mexican authorities were cooperating to locate Jenny. JR was not in that loop. All of the parties were satisfied with the results, except for JR. Not a surprise, because he wasn't in the loop. There is likely a very good reason, they didn't include JR.

I'm amazed at what you accomplish with dial up internet webant!!!

:yourock:

I would like to know whether or not Jenny has returned to her family in China, as some on this forum have wondered (myself included), or if her family has had any contact at all from her, since she was reported disappeared. Jenny’s family went to the effort and trouble of going to Mexico to search for her, because they had no contact from her for a month and a half, after Jenny had previously been in weekly contact with her Chinese family.

My letter to Singapore was sent in hopes of answering this question. Southlanecherry’s translation of Weibo posts made by someone claiming to be Jenny’s close hometown friend indicates that Jenny has not returned home and not made contact with her (claimed) close friend who lives in Wenzhou (Jenny’s hometown in China).

Attempting communication with Jenny’s close friend on Weibo would make sense, in my opinion. Has this close friend had contact with Jenny’s family, now that the friend has returned to Wenzhou? Any word from Jenny there? This type of communication is beyond my ability, as I do not read, write, or speak Chinese. Southlanecherry might be able to contact and communicate with Jenny’s friend in Wenzhou, and then also Jenny’s family there.

I'm amazed at what you accomplish with dial up internet webant!!!

:yourock:

Thanks Lilibet, we are in mutual admiration.

Earthlink (my ISP) has an Acellerator that makes dial-up usable, but as time goes by and websites become more sophisticated little be little, I loose the ability to access them. Usually when they increase their site security. The few websites that use no security, I can access and use about the same as if I had a high-speed connection, and other sites that I can't even get to load.

Webant, you are welcome. Geographical proximity (Singapore to Wenzhou) doesn't warrant any support for a missing person's case. For Singapore to be involved, Jenny would have to be affiliated with the country Singapore in some way, which she doesn't. Chinese embassy provided assistance because Jenny is of Chinese nationality. Same logic applies to the US embassy that didn't provide help, because Jenny is not a US citizen. And comparing personal donations at with whether another country would/would not help finding Jenny just doesn't make sense to me.

It is my belief that if any public organization in Mexico has heard of Jenny returning home, this would not remain a secret. The news would have been all over the place by now. We haven't heard any news because 1) Jenny hasn't returned home; 2) Jenny has secretly returned home, in which case only contacting her family would tell us what we want to know.

Writing a letter to the Chinese Chamber of Commerce in Mexico seems like a futile effort to me, but I am willing to be corrected. If other members think it's a good idea, I will do the translation. IMO contacting her friend via weibo seems like a better way to go.

That’s great to know, southlanecherry, thanks for the accurate translation! Singapore is not all that far from Jenny’s hometown of Wenzhou, so when it was reported that the “Singapore” Chinese Chamber of Commerce had helped Jenny’s family, I took that to mean that like the Chinese embassy in Mexico, they had provided some funds for the family to make the trip to Mexico…much like Chinese people are providing funds to JR to help in the search on the site. It must have seemed logical at the time to everyone else on this forum as well, as no one raised a red flag until the member yesterday ran the Chinese characters through a different translator.

On my home computer, Chinese characters don’t display…they are seen as squares. I am also on dial-up internet access at home, which makes everything more time consuming and difficult. Yesterday, I went to a local library, where I can use a high-speed internet connection and a computer that does display Chinese characters properly. So, yesterday was the first time I saw the actual Chinese characters in question and ran them through a number of online translators.

I appreciate your offer to translate my letter for me, but I was and am hoping you would be willing to not only translate it but then send it to someone that can answer our question of whether or not Jenny has returned to her hometown in China. For me to send a translated letter would be possible, but then I would also need to have any reply translated as well. It seems more logical for you to do the sending of the letter and receiving of a reply. I think there is a good chance that you have already answered the question, by translating the Weibo posts of Jenny’s hometown friend, and that Jenny has not returned to her family. But a stronger confirmation of this might be possible.

Webant, you are welcome. Geographical proximity (Singapore to Wenzhou) doesn't warrant any support for a missing person's case. For Singapore to be involved, Jenny would have to be affiliated with the country Singapore in some way, which she doesn't. Chinese embassy provided assistance because Jenny is of Chinese nationality. Same logic applies to the US embassy that didn't provide help, because Jenny is not a US citizen. And comparing personal donations at with whether another country would/would not help finding Jenny just doesn't make sense to me.

It is my belief that if any public organization in Mexico has heard of Jenny returning home, this would not remain a secret. The news would have been all over the place by now. We haven't heard any news because 1) Jenny hasn't returned home; 2) Jenny has secretly returned home, in which case only contacting her family would tell us what we want to know.

Writing a letter to the Chinese Chamber of Commerce in Mexico seems like a futile effort to me, but I am willing to be corrected. If other members think it's a good idea, I will do the translation. IMO contacting her friend via weibo seems like a better way to go.

I do agree with you on these points. Writing and sending emails doesn't take much time (though it would if I were trying to send one in Chinese). I composed and sent mine to Singapore in 10 minutes. Writing to Jenny's friend on Weibo, who lives in Jenny's home town in China seems like the best idea to me, and it might lead to contact info for Jenny's family there. You seem like the best qualified person to try and make contact with Jenny's friend on Weibo. Maybe it would be good to tell them how concerned we have been for Jenny, and that we have been wondering if anyone in Wenzhou has heard from her.

The officials won't tell us anything. For all they know, Jenny has not said nice things about the treatment she received from JR. (*Speculation only!*) If this were the case, they would never reveal her status, or whereabouts. Her friends might be a bit more forthcoming, but not likely either.

Is there a way to search the public directories for people in China the way there is here... for example, Spokeo?

I personally think it is a complete waste of time to try and track Jenny down in China. I do not, for one second, believe she is there. But it wouldn't hurt to give her friend some support. I can see writing a letter and reaching out with that objective to be a worthy effort. Prying to find out if she is in China would be secondary, and probably not necessary. jmo

Is there a way to search the public directories for people in China the way there is here... for example, Spokeo?

I personally think it is a complete waste of time to try and track Jenny down in China. I do not, for one second, believe she is there. But it wouldn't hurt to give her friend some support. I can see writing a letter and reaching out with that objective to be a worthy effort. Prying to find out if she is in China would be secondary, and probably not necessary. jmo

Wenzhou has a Sister City in the US and a Friendship City in the US. There might be someone in these two towns to offer help/advise for this. I haven't looked into it.

http://sistercities.org/interactive-map/Wenzhou, China

I wouldn't be looking to locate Jenny per say, what would be wonderful is just something to let us know she is ok. I doubt that is what we would be told, but that would be nice.

Agreed, webant.

I have just contacted Jenny's friend who commented on her weibo. I did so via weibo chat. So far nothing yet.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NomDePlumme
Back