California WildFires 2017

What a poignant photo. Nothing left but the white picket fence.

I am so sorry for everyone's loss. California is such a beautiful and magical place; very sad to see the destruction.

I live west of Santa Rosa, I went there on Tuesday with a friend to check their house and it is gone.
View attachment 124606
<respectfully snipped>

I live west of Santa Rosa, I went there on Tuesday with a friend to check their house and it is gone.
View attachment 124603 View attachment 124605 View attachment 124606
I evacuated yesterday, I have a small ranch with animals and we are all safe now but the smoke is awful. I am in the Westin in SF where they have good filters for air and offering amazing rates if you have ID from an evacuated area. What a blessing.
Also, Airbnb has many free houses and rooms for evacuees, donated by the home owners.
Link for Free Airbnbs
I'm just trying to gather my wits now, and will drive to my daughters house in LA tomorrow or Saturday, as soon as I am up for it.
I am trying to hold it together, but, dang, y'all, it is devastating to see your town gone overnight.
I just hope my little Sonoma County dream home is still here when I get back.

Oh my goodness. My heart is breaking for you, your friend and your entire community! I'm so sorry you are suffering through this nightmare. I'm glad you are okay. Many prayers.

:rose::rose::rose::rose:

Late Thursday, the Sonoma County Sheriff&#8217;s Office identified 10 people who died in that county. They were:

Carol Collins-Swasey, 76, of Santa Rosa
Lynne Anderson Powell, 72, of Santa Rosa
Arthur Tasman Grant, 95, of Santa Rosa
Suiko Grant, 75, of Santa Rosa
Donna Mae Halbur, 80, of Larkfield-Wikiup
Leroy Peter Halbur, 80, of Larkfield-Wikiup
Valerie Lynn Evans, 75, of Santa Rosa
Carmen Caldentey Berriz, 75, of Apple Valley
Michael John Dornbach, 57, of Calistoga
Veronica Elizabeth McCombs, 67, of Santa Rosa
Some of the bodies were recovered intact, while others had been reduced to ashes and bones. In two cases, the remains were identified through the serial number on medical devices, such as a metal hip replacement. Two were identified by dental records, another through distinct tattoos. Authorities used fingerprints and family members to identify the rest.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-northern-california-firestorms-20171012-story.html

My heart is breaking. What a tragedy!! Prayers to all in the area! What is wrong with our media?? What the hell is wrong with them??

-Nin

As of late Thursday, about 400 people were still missing. The searches can take hours, and identification will be difficult, Giordano said.

&#8220;We will do everything in our power to locate all the missing persons, and I promise you we will handle the remains with care and get them returned to their loved ones,&#8221; Giordano said.

It could be weeks or even months before all the bodies are identified, he said.

Asked whether he expected the death toll to rise, Giordano said, &#8220;I&#8217;d be unrealistic if I didn&#8217;t.&#8221;
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-northern-california-firestorms-20171012-story.html

The misery and heartbreak caused by nearly two dozen wildfires devastating homes and lives in Northern California isn't going to end anytime soon, officials said.

"We're not even close to being out of this emergency," Mark Ghilarducci, the director of California's Office of Emergency Services, said Thursday afternoon.

The largest fires are still burning with little containment and the weather has not helped the thousands of firefighters battling those deadly blazes and new ones that pop up each day.

"We are a long way from being done with this catastrophe," Cal Fire Director Ken Pimlott said. Fires, which have killed 31 people, were burning erratically Thursday, he said.

Authorities were concerned about new Red Flag warnings that said winds were going to pick up this week.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/California-fires-31-killed-weather-stays-dry-450703373.html

Late Thursday, the Sonoma County Sheriff&#8217;s Office identified 10 people who died in that county. They were:

Some of the bodies were recovered intact, while others had been reduced to ashes and bones. In two cases, the remains were identified through the serial number on medical devices, such as a metal hip replacement. Two were identified by dental records, another through distinct tattoos. Authorities used fingerprints and family members to identify the rest.

That is heartbreaking. I hope they did not suffer.

Rest in peace, sweet people of SR and areas..this is just too much

-Nin

As of late Thursday, about 400 people were still missing. The searches can take hours, and identification will be difficult, Giordano said.

&#8220;We will do everything in our power to locate all the missing persons, and I promise you we will handle the remains with care and get them returned to their loved ones,&#8221; Giordano said.

It could be weeks or even months before all the bodies are identified, he said.

Asked whether he expected the death toll to rise, Giordano said, &#8220;I&#8217;d be unrealistic if I didn&#8217;t.&#8221;

They have cadaver dogs in Santa Rosa now.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I evacuated yesterday, I have a small ranch with animals and we are all safe now but the smoke is awful. I am in the Westin in SF where they have good filters for air and offering amazing rates if you have ID from an evacuated area. What a blessing.
Also, Airbnb has many free houses and rooms for evacuees, donated by the home owners.
Link for Free Airbnbs
I'm just trying to gather my wits now, and will drive to my daughters house in LA tomorrow or Saturday, as soon as I am up for it.
I am trying to hold it together, but, dang, y'all, it is devastating to see your town gone overnight.
I just hope my little Sonoma County dream home is still here when I get back.
My heart is broken for your friend, and I do hope your home is spared.

Your link to airbnb is very appreciated. We will pass it on.

Oh, this is so, so, sad - Just heartbreaking. Thoughts and prayers to all affected.

Along with the people and pets, I'm also thinking of all the wildlife that must have been caught in the path of these fires. My heart is heavy.

This is killing me.
All the animals.
The woodpeckers, hummingbirds and great blue herons that come to my yard.
All the pets people couldn't find when they had to evacuate, quickly, in the middle of the night.
Ubey.
IMG_6936.jpg

Special hugs for Gitana and Everybodhi. I&#8217;m so sorry for the loss surrounding you. I&#8217;ve been reading fast, so if I&#8217;ve missed anyone who needs a hug, you&#8217;ve got it! Actually, we probably all need a hug. Thank you to those joining us on the thread. We need each other.

Check out the black box in the center at the top of the page. Tricia is featuring this thread. Thank you Tricia!
:loveyou:

Dear Gitana and Everybodhi,

You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

Just reading your posts made me hold my breath and I didn't even realize I was holding my breath. Your descriptions tug at my heart.

I wish I could give you both a hug, like Lilibet said, make you a good cup of tea and just sit with you.

We are here for you. May tomorrow be a brighter day.

(Slightly o/t,

Push to get cell phone users to sign up on Alert San Diego System
http://www.cbs8.com/story/36587921/push-to-get-cell-phone-users-to-sign-up-on-alert-san-diego-system

"(NEWS 8) - The wildfires in Northern California are severely hampering communications and with more people ditching their landlines for cell phones, it&#8217;s especially important to make sure you are able to receive notifications in an emergency.

Authorities have issued new and winder evacuation orders as the wildfires in wine country continue to spread &#8211; a somber reminder to San Diegans during this season of wildfires to be prepared." )

This ABC News updated story describes all the fires currently burning in CA. Some I didn&#8217;t know about. The story details acreage burned and damage. Here is a list, quoting the article...

The so-called Atlas, Nuns, Patrick and Pressley fires are considered branches of one giant blaze in Napa, Solano and Sonoma counties &#8212; collectively known as the Southern LNU Complex.

The Tubbs and Pocket fires make up another enormous blaze, known as the the Central LNU Complex, in Napa and Sonoma counties.

The Redwood/Potter fires and the Sulphur fire make up a giant blaze, known as the Mendocino Lake Complex, in Lake and Mendocino counties.

The Cascade, La Porte, Lobo and McCourtney fires make up one huge blaze in Butte, Nevada and Yuba counties, collectively known as the Wind Complex.

The Canyon 2 fire has burned 9,217 acres in Southern California's Orange County since the flames started Monday morning.

The Cherokee fire has singed 8,360 acres in Butte County since Sunday night and was 60 percent contained Thursday morning.

The 37 fire has scorched 1,660 acres in Sonoma County since it started Monday afternoon. It was 70 percent contained by Wednesday morning

http://abcnews.go.com/US/31-dead-horrific-california-wildfires-hundreds-missing/story?id=50383162

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennyboo
Back