California WildFires 2017

First trial against PG&E in 2017 fires to start next year

Set to begin in September 2019, the trial will provide the first venue for people who lost property or loved ones in the North Bay fires to bring evidence against PG&E before a jury and argue the utility giant failed to maintain its equipment or prepare for high winds predicted days in advance.

The trial will be a central stage for PG&E, whose maintenance record and safety measures have come under heavy scrutiny in California, where the latest record-breaking inferno, the Camp fire in Butte County, has destroyed more than 10,000 homes and businesses and claimed at least 63 lives.

Linking the horrific thread for California Fires 2018 :( :

3 California wildfires destroy thousands of structures and force emergency evacuations, 9 Nov 2018

“(CNN) As the death toll from Northern California's Camp Fire rose to 63 and those reported missing spiked to more than 600, rescue workers searching for human remains hope that hundreds of people who remain unaccounted for are still alive.”

Searches intensify with more than 600 reported missing in California's Camp Fire
https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/11/16/us/california-fires/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

Set to begin in September 2019, the trial will provide the first venue for people who lost property or loved ones in the North Bay fires to bring evidence against PG&E before a jury and argue the utility giant failed to maintain its equipment or prepare for high winds predicted days in advance.

The trial will be a central stage for PG&E, whose maintenance record and safety measures have come under heavy scrutiny in California, where the latest record-breaking inferno, the Camp fire in Butte County, has destroyed more than 10,000 homes and businesses and claimed at least 63 lives.

WOW.

JMO
I can almost guarantee PGE caused the Camp area fire this year which was the worst of the 3 fires IMO. Because I read the article which I cant find now but included a similar one below that said there was a wire that was sparking and smoking and someone actually called in a report to PGE about it before the Camp area fire started. My understanding is PGE elected not to turn off electric to that sparking line and that is all it would have taken IMO to stop the blaze in its tracks.

Instead they kept the electric going to that sparking incident after the reports about it and then all of a sudden the blaze in the Camp area began from that vicinity.

Its unbelievably arrogant for PGE officials to not have immediately killed the electric current to a line that was causing sparking when the public reported about it to them. Now many deaths and property damage due to that decision.

And I had no idea they are being blamed for some of last years fires too. I dont know about them but from what I read about the Camp area fire that incident was basically caused by their poor decisions.

The other sad thing is even if they end up paying for huge lawsuits then ALL the consumers in that area will end up paying for it because I am sure the utility will just increase their charges to everyone to try to recoup what they can.

This is why its so upsetting when officials, public utilities, and government offices are negligent and get sued. Its because the cost of the lawsuits end up going right back to the consumers.

We had a small local Sheriffs department in a nearby town where I live get sued because the Sheriffs department embezzled large amounts of money from the town's coffers and what ended up happening is the whole town had its taxes go up because the town needed to re-supplement the funds that were depleted and they had to hire new staff and put in measures to prevent abuse in the future. The people ended up paying.
Its so upsetting and is why people in California have every right to be upset with PGE if even 1/2 of what we are reading is true.

"The utility is under heavy financial pressure amid speculation its equipment may have sparked the Camp fire. It has already been sued by people who lost homes in the blaze.

PG&E faces liabilities exceeding $15 billion in the 2017 fires. Its representatives have staked out a public defense that last year’s hot, dry weather conditions were beyond the utility’s control, and that increasingly destructive fires in the state are reflective of a dangerous new era ushered in by climate change.

Attorneys representing thousands of plaintiffs — home and business owners, municipalities and families of those killed in the 2017 fires — have pushed back, pointing to state investigations that found PG&E power lines and equipment sparked at least 17 of last year’s major wildfires. In 11 of those cases, Cal Fire said its investigators found evidence showing the utility was in violation of state safety laws, forwarding the reports to local prosecutors for review.
"

ETA

"PULGA, Calif. — A day before a deadly blaze destroyed a California town, the giant utility Pacific Gas & Electric Co. got in touch with Betsy Ann Cowley, saying they needed access to her property because their power lines were causing sparks."

California woman contacted by PG&E about sparks from power lines before Camp Fire started

IMO, This part proves they had thought about cutting electricity before the fire started and did NOT do that. A major poor decision IMO.

"The utility had initially indicated earlier in the week that it might preemptively cut off electricity to parts of several Northern California counties, including Butte, as a safety measure because of fire danger. But company officials said they decided not to, saying weather conditions did not warrant it."

PG&E reports power line problem in Butte County near time and place where wildfire sparked

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back