GUILTY CA - Omar Medina, 28, found deceased in barrel floating in Chula Vista Marina, Oct 2017

1507913795083.jpg

The barrel was pulled out of the water and loaded onto a truck where it is being looked at by a medical examiner.

Authorities right now are holding off on saying whether the discovery is linked to any missing persons cases.

"Certainly understand the need for closure for families and the hope; however, it's premature to even articulate who might in the barrel," Thunberg told CBS 8.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/10/13/body-in-barrel-found-floating-in-san-diego-bay.html

Judging from tides, the diver believes the drum was likely dumped in the area on Wednesday night or Thursday morning when the tide was high.

Further, he said he was concerned about the orange oily residue he noticed leaking from the drum. Having worked on boats for 23 years, he had environmental concerns.

The medical examiner determined human remains inside the drum, but have not released information whether it's a man or a woman or age.

"Certainly understand the need for closure for families and the hope; however, it's premature to even articulate who might in the barrel," said Capt. Eric Thunberg, Chula Vista Police Department.
Albert Molina's friend, 28-year-old Omar Medina, was last seen in Chula Vista September 30th.
"I just had to come out here and see if there was any information so we could be at peace. The family just wants closure and we are praying it's not him and Omar is okay."
On Friday, authorities released a statement saying: "Depending on unknown factors, the identification of the remains may be time consuming. It's a possibility the remains will be unidentified (Jane/John Doe)."
If that is the case, officials said they will likely check any missing persons cases.
http://www.cbs8.com/story/36586317/body-found-in-barrel-at-bottom-of-san-diego-bay

The barrel appeared to be tied down with some cement blocks. Police believe a metal chain may have also weighed it down before it broke loose and surfaced at the Marina.
The news of the gruesome discovery stunned many boaters and residents in the area.

"It’s just a horrid thing. It's heinous and what the individual had to go through and then to be stuffed into a barrel as your final resting place at the bottom of a bay--it's just, the thought that goes through my mind, it's just a head-shaking event for sure," said Dean Rosser, a boat owner.
Chula Vista resident Bill Graham said he was shocked when he learned of the body because the area is usually safe.

"I've been putting my boat in here for 15 years and this is usually a pretty good Marina as far as anything goes, the same across the way there," said Bill Graham.
Police said there is no rust on the barrel and it appears to be only a few days old.
Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...iner-Chula-Vista-450841313.html#ixzz4vVS2ylbv

BBM. Interesting. Are they saying that the barrel had only been in the ocean a few days or that they actually know when the barrel was produced and it was a few days ago? :thinking:

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...iner-Chula-Vista-450841313.html#ixzz4vVS2ylbv

BBM. Interesting. Are they saying that the barrel had only been in the ocean a few days or that they actually know when the barrel was produced and it was a few days ago? :thinking:

I wonder if they can trace the barrel to it's origination or facility.

If we don't know the identity today or tomorrow (they usually start with dental records) I'm thinking acid bath. They may not ID the victim for several weeks to months.

body%20barrel%20san%20diego%20bay_1507849894064_68676065_ver1.0_900_675.JPG

From this picture it doesn't look plastic. Looks metal with scratches on it. Wonder if that paper was put on it by police or if it has some sort of label on it? I hope they can ID where it came from rather quickly.
Metal barrel would be corroborated worth the comment in the article that there was very little rust, since they would comment on rust for a plastic barrel.

Does metal barrel make avoid bath more or less likely? I'm thinking less?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

How sad. I pray they will be able to identify this person. Such a evil world we live in. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Not sure about this particular barrel but, when I worked @ Kellogg's we made Grasshopper cookies which, the chocolate was made of pure peppermint oil. That oil will burn your skin if you get it on you. In saying this, the barrels had numbers stamped on the lid as well as paper labels in the side. Each stamp included: mfg name, origin, mfg date, use by date, container number and the code that particular flavor vendor assigned our company. So, there should be at least six ways to find where the barrel was from, if it was a chemical barrel. Hopefully, it is traceable.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

if you google omar medina chula vista, you will find a link that he has been found deceased. im thinking this is poor omar.

Investigators have identified a body discovered in a barrel found drifting in San Diego Bay last week but will withhold the name until further notice to avoid compromising the ongoing homicide probe in the case, officials said Wednesday.
The San Diego County Medical Examiner has ruled the death a homicide and identified the victim, officials said.

No further details in the case will be immediately released, according to the Chula Vista Police Department.

“We recognize the public’s interest in this case,” according to police. “However, due to the ongoing investigation, it is necessary to keep most details confidential for the immediate future.”
Further details about the case will be released when doing so “no longer affects the investigation,” the department stated.
https://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2...nd-in-barrel-chained-to-san-diego-bay-bottom/

Still no new news Ivan find but I still think it's Omar Medina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about this particular barrel but, when I worked @ Kellogg's we made Grasshopper cookies which, the chocolate was made of pure peppermint oil. That oil will burn your skin if you get it on you. In saying this, the barrels had numbers stamped on the lid as well as paper labels in the side. Each stamp included: mfg name, origin, mfg date, use by date, container number and the code that particular flavor vendor assigned our company. So, there should be at least six ways to find where the barrel was from, if it was a chemical barrel. Hopefully, it is traceable.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

That is helpful information; thanks for sharing!

Could they have thrown it off the Coronado Bridge?
You cant do that from the Coronado Bridge without being seen.
And theres no where to pull over on the bridge.
It was probably dumped close to where it was found.
Chula Vista is not near downtown SD.

This has overtones of an organized crime murder. You know, pop two .22s behind Joey's ear, chuck him in a drum, sling in some old chain to sink the barrel, and heave the drum in the drink.

15475529_G.jpg

SAN DIEGO (NEWS 8) — A decomposing body found inside a 55-gallon barrel that was floating in the San Diego Bay last month has been identified.

Chula Vista police say it was the remains of Omar Medina inside the barrel discovered Oct. 12.

When the barrel with a body inside was wheeled away from the Chula Vista Marina last month Medina's friends tried to stay to positive.

"The family just wants closure at this point, so we're praying it's not him and Omar's ok," the victim's friend Albert Molina said last month.

But Wednesday, Chula Vista police confirmed it was 28-year-old Medina - a music producer from Chula Vista - inside. He was last seen alive on Sept. 30 and his car was found the next day - but Medina was gone.
http://www.thecwsandiego.com/story/36908238/body-found-in-drum-floating-in-san-diego-bay-identified

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLEUTHER TRAE PGH
Back