Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #7 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think this is a listing for her job. Looking at the description it mentions this is an at home position when not doing face to face evaluations. I don’t think she worked an at home...and she worked night shifts didn’t she?

Yes, however, there was a computer with the hospital sticker on it confiscated during the search of the home which leads me to believe she was at least partly working from home. Somewhere along the way, someone mentioned her being a case manager, so this job posting showing up in my email was curious.

Notably, as a floor nurse at this same hospital, there was no reason for me to have a hospital issued computer. We could log onto the hospital systems from home through a VPN but it was cumbersome and wouldn’t be useful for frequent use. Working at the adult hospital next door, we used the same medical record system... I had a position where I went to several of our clinics and took call from home where I needed access to the medical record system in the event of a positive HIV test in the ER and they issued a laptop for that position. All this together makes me believe she had a position much more like the CM position for the health plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I thought the bio child was older. Are you saying the adoption process was in the works before Sherin herself was born?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
One of the Mathews' neighbors*who wished not to be named, said Wesley and his wife, were struggling to conceive. They finally gave birth to a baby girl,* who is a year older than Sherin, *advertiser censored*report*said.
http://www.ibtimes.com/who-sherin-m...missing-after-leaving-home-punishment-2599286

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13707847

MOO

Some interesting information on adoption in India here.

Adopting as a Non Resident Indian (NRI)

A child in an Indian orphanage has to be rejected by three native Indian couples, before he/she can be placed for international adoption. Direct communication with an Indian orphanage is not possible and prospective parents have to go through an agency in the country of residence.

Also, a single woman can adopt a child of any gender. A single man, however, is prohibited from adopting a female child.

http://www.indianmomsconnect.com/2016/02/17/adoption/

One of the Mathews' neighbors*who wished not to be named, said Wesley and his wife, were struggling to conceive. They finally gave birth to a baby girl,* who is a year older than Sherin, *advertiser censored*report*said.
http://www.ibtimes.com/who-sherin-m...missing-after-leaving-home-punishment-2599286

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13707847

MOO
I don't know how reliable the neighbor is, but he makes it sound like the decision came after the birth of their bio daughter.

Later, about a year-and-a-half ago, the couple announced they adopted a little girl from India. “They felt since God gave them that baby as a miracle baby, they could help another little one without a family out,” said the neighbor."

So I don't think we know when they actually decided to adopt or start the process.

This sounds to me like they were trying to conceive, having trouble, decided to adopt. During the adoption process she got pregnant, but they were already well into the process, possibly had already been matched with Sherin, so they went through with it. I guess India doesn't have the rule that the adoption must be interrupted if you end up pregnant. I'm no adoption expert by any means, never having gone through it, but I believe I have heard that some countries have this rule.

My close friend adopted a child through Holt International. She became pregnant during the adoption process and could not proceed until her child was born and of a certain age. I don't know if this is an agency rule, or a rule when adopting from China. (Where her daughter came from) I read that the average adoption from India takes 2-3 years, but they are willing to expedited the process if the child meets certain requirements. It's possible Sherin's adoption was expedited

This didn't quote correctly, but this is in reply to OP who talked about the following 3 cases.

In comparing these cases, the point is that even though they may have felt frightened to leave, when it came to a choice between doing what felt safe for themselves and protecting children, they chose the children.
Jaycee Dugard's children were alive when they were rescued. If they were ever in danger of being killed, she put did not let her fear take over, she did not put herself first.
Shawn Hornbeck took action to save the younger boy. When it came down to putting himself first and letting the other boy continue to suffer, or taking a risk and helping the boy, he chose the latter.
I'm not familiar with the Colleen Stan case, but I don't believe she had children with her.
So the victims you cite saved the children in spite of their own fear and victimization.

My close friend adopted a child through Holt International. She became pregnant during the adoption process and could not proceed until her child was born and of a certain age. I don't know if this is an agency rule, or a rule when adopting from China. (Where her daughter came from) I read that the average adoption from India takes 2-3 years, but they are willing to expedited the process if the child meets certain requirements. It's possible Sherin's adoption was expedited

It seems backwards and just plain 'wrong' for a family to wait 2 or 3 years, while their child's formative, bonding years go by, while they are housed in the orphanage.

I think they should spend two years 'vetting' a couple, doing home studies and interviews, and meeting them and background checks etc. AND THEN, once a couple is accepted, they should be able to adopt an infant that is born after they are cleared.

That would be better for all involved. Get your clearance for adoption, and then during a 6 month period, there would be new infants incoming and you could then take home a young child that would bond with you when it is most effective to do so. Age 3 is much more difficult than 3 months is, in terms of bonding and connecting as family. jmo

Here is an article that was previously linked, I believe. It is an Indian paper, and explains that Sherin's one eye, being smaller than the other, made her a candidate for adoption outside of India.

"She left at around Chhath in 2015," recalls Kumari.

"She made lovely tutli (baby talk). She was not a quiet child. Bahut chanchal lakdi thi. Hasti, khelti, daurti thi (She was a lively child. She laughed, played and ran about)," remembers Kumari fondly.

The child appeared totally normal except for the fact that her left eye was mildly smaller than the right, says Kumari. Saraswati, shortly after she arrived in Nalanda, as per government procedure, was put up for adoption and her details circulated online.

Her tiny defect made her eligible for international adoption. Children with even barely imperceptible disabilities, explains Kumari, are given wider possibilities for adoption so they are not "left on the shelf".

Note: Chhath in 2015 would be Nov. 15-18, and is a religious festival, if I understand correctly.

http://www.rediff.com/news/special/the-child-god-took-away/20171026.htm

I don't know how reliable the neighbor is, but he makes it sound like the decision came after the birth of their bio daughter.

So I don't think we know when they actually decided to adopt or start the process.

The only problem I have with this is Dallas News reported that LE corrected that they got older sisters age wrong previously and that she is also 3 and not 4. This would mean, if they decided to adopt after the birth of a healthy child, that if they went through an agency and the average is 2-3 years, that they started the process almost immediately after birth and had the process on the fast track in order to have had Sherin adopted when she was 2.
Not saying this is impossible, but it just makes more sense IMO that they would have started the process before, slowed down to have the baby, Sherin entered the orphanage as a newborn (i believe) and they family happened to be matched with her and they continued the process.

I just can't imagine home studies, medicals, building up the dossier, being in contact with agencies, and dealing with all of the beginning appointments, like criminal record checks and so on, with a brand new baby. Again, not impossible, just FEELS unlikely to me.

I keep wondering if because we have seen WM and SM also said to be citizens of India, if this adoption wasn't considered "domestic" in some way, to by-pass a lot of the things required here in order to make it go faster. This could also explain how the Mathews were able to meet Sherin prior to the adoption being finalized and also being able to speak with her on the phone. Most adopting families are lucky to get a couple of pictures, MAYBE a short video of their child, during the entire process.

JMO

Here is an article that was previously linked, I believe. It is an Indian paper, and explains that Sherin's one eye, being smaller than the other, made her a candidate for adoption outside of India.

Note: Chhath in 2015 would be Nov. 15-18, and is a religious festival, if I understand correctly.

http://www.rediff.com/news/special/the-child-god-took-away/20171026.htm

Yes.. started Nov 15 and would have been 4 days long.

Thank you for this post.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The only problem I have with this is Dallas News reported that LE corrected that they got older sisters age wrong previously and that she is also 3 and not 4. This would mean, if they decided to adopt after the birth of a healthy child, that if they went through an agency and the average is 2-3 years, that they started the process almost immediately after birth and had the process on the fast track in order to have had Sherin adopted when she was 2.
Not saying this is impossible, but it just makes more sense IMO that they would have started the process before, slowed down to have the baby, Sherin entered the orphanage as a newborn (i believe) and they family happened to be matched with her and they continued the process.

I just can't imagine home studies, medicals, building up the dossier, being in contact with agencies, and dealing with all of the beginning appointments, like criminal record checks and so on, with a brand new baby. Again, not impossible, just FEELS unlikely to me.

I keep wondering if because we have seen WM and SM also said to be citizens of India, if this adoption wasn't considered "domestic" in some way, to by-pass a lot of the things required here in order to make it go faster. This could also explain how the Mathews were able to meet Sherin prior to the adoption being finalized and also being able to speak with her on the phone. Most adopting families are lucky to get a couple of pictures, MAYBE a short video of their child, during the entire process.

JMO
You could be right, but Sherin also could have been fast-tracked due to her eye issue. We just don't have any reliable information about when they began the process.

I also read something in all the mess of articles about India adoption that I read tonight that sounded like they would have had to have adopted a girl instead of a boy if they had a girl already. I didn't see any explanation for it, and I thought it was odd. Anyway, I know some wondered why they chose a girl, but they may have had no choice.

ETA: Was in the article I just posted. It says this. "It is now possible to adopt two children of the same-sex and also another child of the same sex as that of the*biological offspring."

I find that confusing.

Excellent post.

Assuming the theories about Sini being in an abusive relationship are true as well as Wesley's statement that Sherin was alive when they returned home from dinner:

Not a far-fetched theory I suppose since Wesley's own admissions suggest a level of frustration over a milk refusal high enough to result in a dead child and seemingly NO efforts to save her.

But even if he was an abusive husband, it doesn't remove the fact that Sini had a choice that evening. Perhaps her refusing to go with and leave Sherin alone would have resulted in Wesley's anger then being heightened and/or directed towards her disobedience instead. Perhaps their marriage was indeed a lot of her picking and choosing her battles.... But that evening she chose to comply and go along with him and leave Sherin alone at home. That was still her choice. It may have been two grim options (him being angry with Sherin or him being angry with her) but she still made a choice that evening......IMO, a foolish & very selfish one any way you slice it.

ETA: assuming Sherin was alive before & after the rest of the family dining out on the evening of 10/6

You could be right, but Sherin also could have been fast-tracked due to her eye issue. We just don't have any reliable information about when they began the process.

I also read something in all the mess of articles about India adoption that I read tonight that sounded like they would have had to have adopted a girl instead of a boy if they had a girl already. I didn't see any explanation for it, and I thought it was odd. Anyway, I know some wondered why they chose a girl, but they may have had no choice.

ETA: Was in the article I just posted. It says this. "It is now possible to adopt two children of the same-sex and also another child of the same sex as that of the*biological offspring."

I find that confusing.

I find that confusing as well. Esp as I said upthread about the TLC show The Little Couple. They adopted a son from China and then afterwards adopted a daughter from India. Perhaps it was because they were not Indian themselves? Or, maybe boys are simply harder to come by based on what people have said about the culture there, it could be there are less boys in Indian orphanages, so they are far more picky about who gets to adopt them?

MOO

I find that confusing.

Same sex as that of the biological offspring means that historically if you had a daughter you couldnt adopt a female and vice versa... but now you can

Same sex as that of the biological offspring means that historically if you had a daughter you couldnt adopt a female and vice versa... but now you can

I cant go back and edit.. the rule in India used to be you cant adopt a child of the same sex as your current child or children. Ie. If the sister was born first it would have excluded Sherin from being adopted, as they already had a daughter.

Many of my clients who have two sons, adopt a daughter from within their family unit. This partly to facilitate the female child and give her a better life in Canada .. as we are aware of the hinderances placed on females via culture.

The rule now allows you to adopt of the same sex.

Hope that provides some clarity.

I went into my hoarders folders of info to find some info on the adoption process for persons with OCI cards and the estimated time frames but I got side tracked.

Overseas Citizen of India Status

• Overseas Citizen of India or Foreign National Living in India: Overseas Citizens of India (OCI card holders) and foreign nationals of countries that are party to the Convention who have been living in India for one year or more may register to adopt an Indian child on the Child Adoption Resource Information and Guidance System (CARINGS) together with the required documents. Upon receipt of the application and required documents, CARA will refer the case to a SAA to prepare the prospective adoptive parents home study report. After the home study report is completed, it will be uploaded onto CARINGS by the SAA. For more information, please refer to CARA’s Guidelines.
  • If I understand the first quote it may allow those holding an OCI card to move to the head of the line and go directly and skip the adoption eligibility through the US State Dept thus speeding up the process. Under CARA OCI card holders also receive other considerations that both speed up the process and give them more options.

CARA’s Guidelines Governing the Adoption of Children, 2015 state that an adopted Indian child shall be entitled to receive an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) card, if found eligible. For more information about the procedure for applying for OCI status for your child, please contact the nearest Indian Embassy or consulate.
State Dept.
https://travel.state.gov/content/ad...-information/learn-about-a-country/india.html
and Cara
http://www.cara.nic.in/PDF/Regulation_english.pdf

I ran across this booklet that caught my attention. It is a wonderful resource for every imaginable statistic on Child Abuse and Neglect in the USA through 2015.

It is in pdf format so you can download it or open it in a browser or pdf compatible program or app. I extracted page 61 which shows child fatalities by age and by perpatrator relationship. I wish there were no need for such a compilation but si Che there is I wanted to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13o-iuL7EyFB0Ex8IUbkGdLucht7k_w4_

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• FAF4CBE4-655B-46F0-97E4-4FF6592A8437.jpg
    FAF4CBE4-655B-46F0-97E4-4FF6592A8437.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 1CB81142-B555-4836-81D2-6A31D6410E77.jpg
    1CB81142-B555-4836-81D2-6A31D6410E77.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 362
That happened in 1987, 30 years ago. I hope we have progressed past excusing mothers for the deaths of their children because of DV. I remember that case well, I disagreed with the excuses made for the mom then, and now.
Last night I did some browsing into the Lisa Steinberg death by abuse.

Multiple unique factors, not the least of which was the hallmark of being the first wholly televised trial.

Hedda Nussbaum bore the physical scars of severe abuse--including multiple broken bones and resulting physical impairments. She lost employment owing to her frequent absences from the abuse. Severe PTSD. Brainwashing to the extent of believing that Steinberg had superhuman healing powers. Based on interviews over the years, it appears likely that this woman's mental health will forever be as impaired as her physical body. That is, progress, but never wholeness.

This may have been one of the first (certainly the first highly-publicized) cases in which a woman victim of abuse was not charged as being complicit in the abuse of a child (actually children--a boy survived) owing to the syndrome associated with being an abuse victim. And feminists were deeply divided in their judgment. Some regarded this as recognition of a woman's issue that needed examination. Others regarded this as being an old-school view of women as being weak and needing protection.

In this case, I remain agnostic as to whether Sini Mathews is an abuse victim, an abuser, or an enabler and complicit in abuse leading to the death of her daughter. There are still a lot of facts out that that we don't know, many of which are already known to LE. But, I see nothing to date that can rule out the theory that Sini could be a victim.

That happened in 1987, 30 years ago. I hope we have progressed past excusing mothers for the deaths of their children because of DV. I remember that case well, I disagreed with the excuses made for the mom then, and now.

Yes, that was 30 years ago, just about the time people were just beginning to understand the mechanics and effects of Domestic Violence (I personally think dv minimizes the issue). Men had been allowed to treat women as their property. By law a husband could not rape his wife. Law enforcement didn’t respond to “domestic calls” or if they did they warned the wife not to do whatever had made him angry again, or they said they couldn’t do anything because they didn’t see who started it. Women’s shelters were just getting started and they were overflowing, poorly supplied and easy for him to find.

”Barefoot and pregnant” was still hanging on. Wifes were just being allowed to have credit of their own. A woman getting her tubes tied required her husbands written consent. Homes and vehicles were still regularly only in the husbands name. (A wife could get her name on deed or title with his permission) Going directly to the prosecutors office with fresh wounds and pictures from previous incents got nothing but, ‘I’’m sorry”.

If women were fortunate enough to access that last flicker of free will and hope and escape, law enforcement would notify the husband if they found the vehicle that a wife left in and allow him to take it, even if the woman’s name was on the title. The police looked the other way while the wife was terrorized. A husband could have his wife committed for 30 days with just his signature.

Stalking laws were just beginning but were rarely applied when the stalker was a husband or ex-husband. Even if a police officer heard the wife's life threatened, they responded with, “we can’t do anything until he actually does something, and then we can consider him a possible suspect. A restraining order wasn’t worth the paper it was written on. The husband or ex-husband could show up at school and take the children with impunity. Landlords were hesitant to rent to a wife without her husbands consent and once divorced it didn’t get much better. Punishing dead beat dads was just beginning to happen with any regularity but he had to be 3 months in arrears to get any help. A court order was counted as income recieved whether you recieved it or not.

How do I know? It happened to me. That was my life my story, In 1989 I escaped with my daughter (who he threatened to kill in front of me to hurt me) I don’t want sympathy. I survived. I wasn’t better than those who didn’t, I was luckier. I was lucky because that fateful day his guns were upstairs and I heard him loading them. I was able to get my child out the door and into our secret place before he came downstairs loaded and ready to kill. I didn’t have time to get out too, so I headed toward him to buy her precious time to hide. When I lied about where she went, he left to find her after knocking me to the ground with the butt of his rifle. Once he left armed to locate his own daughter, I retrieved her and left. I ran and didn’t stop until there were several states between us. We were stalked for years and through several states. I have lived in my car, eaten restaurant ketchup for spaghetti sauce and potted meat sandwichs to survive. My daughter never went hungry and we survived. I am much stronger for it.

I don’t think Sini was abused. I do think she and WM acted in concert, to leave her alone and to dispose of the body. I am not sure who actually caused her death or how but if I am wrong and she was abused I hope she can get the help she will need and I too certainly hope we have progressed past 1987 and we place the blame where it lies the abuser.

JMHO

I think it would be extremely helpful if you would just briefly describe anything in their culture that would have influenced their behavior & treatment of Sherin. I think many of us here are looking at the situation through 'western eyes' & fail to understand that culture may have influenced Sini's attitude towards her husband & their treatment & punishment of their daughter. I may be entirely wrong in my assessment of the situation but I think it would be very helpful to know things about the cultural implications of husband/wife relations & child rearing. Perhaps the Matthews are just pure evil & culture plays no role. Thank you!

Children with disabilities/ deformities are not accepted in India. It is probably why Sherin was abandoned in the first place - one of her eyes was bigger than the other. In saying that, I am assuming the Mathews knew this. However, there have been posts from family members (assumption) on YouTube and Facebook saying the adoption agency lied to them about Sherin and gave them a child with lots of issues.

Other than that, nothing else is cultural. Once we know more about what really happened, I could say more. Poisoning children does happen in India, but it's only in rural areas where there is not much involvement with the cops/ doctors. Parents do this because they are usually too poor to raise the kids or the kids have disabilities.

I would also like to know what illness Sherin had, how was it treated and what her prognosis was when she left the orphage? These were in the first alibi and I wonder if there was any truth to it.

I am assuming they thought she was healthy. Her carers from the orphanage said she had no issues at all. In saying that, if Sherin did grow up in an orphanage, she probably didn't go to the doctor unless she was extremely ill. The living conditions in Indian orphanages are terrible. By US standards, none of these kids would be healthy physically, emotionally and mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici