UCLA B-Ball players arrested in China-being detained...

This is really sad. How do you build a 'brand' around a 15 yr old that isnt even playing high school ball? Now the middle son isn't even playing ball, and neither are getting an education, if their teacher is their home schooler father.

Daddy Ball just ruined the chances of both his sons to get into the NBA. And he is messing with his older son too, by talking krap about the Lakers coaches etc.

I actually feel sorry for the boys now.

The cases that now I think of is Michael Sam also from University Of Missouri and also Johnny Manziel who were great players but careers damaged or destroyed by becoming more media than players. Coaches AND Owners want players not prima donnas that media shows for more than the game but what sells the attention. In Michaels Sams case, he played for MU his entire college years. He found it necessary to "out" himself before the Draft. He was already "out". Everybody in Columbia knew including the team knew. Until it became a media "event" it was fine. But TEAMS want team players and not causes or marketing tennis shoes so the parents can retire or live vicariously through their kids.

JMO

Father LaVar was joined by LiAngelo on The Today Show as he explained the situation that went on in China and how the shoplifting incident happened:

“We all went out one night, went to the malls, went to the Louis Vuitton store and, uh, people started taking stuff, and then, you know, me just not thinking and being with them, I took something too.

“And we left thinking we’ll just get away — you know how kids think. I didn’t realize ‘til I got back to my hotel, I’m like, ‘That was stupid.’ But by then it was too late. And then sure enough, the next morning, the police came and got us. ...

“Oh, it was horrible. They take your clothes, you wear, like, whatever they have for you, a little jumpsuit or whatever, take your shoestrings and you just sit in a cement cell for however long. It’s just you and all the officers — and they don’t speak English.”

As for the decision to leave UCLA, LiAngelo said his suspension was starting to take toll.

"That’s just a long time of doing nothing," he said. "I’d rather be playing."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...tball-news-liangelo/gypa3wg69pqq1mg9fa92h65hr

Father LaVar was joined by LiAngelo on The Today Show as he explained the situation that went on in China and how the shoplifting incident happened:

“We all went out one night, went to the malls, went to the Louis Vuitton store and, uh, people started taking stuff, and then, you know, me just not thinking and being with them, I took something too.

“And we left thinking we’ll just get away — you know how kids think. I didn’t realize ‘til I got back to my hotel, I’m like, ‘That was stupid.’ But by then it was too late. And then sure enough, the next morning, the police came and got us. ...

“Oh, it was horrible. They take your clothes, you wear, like, whatever they have for you, a little jumpsuit or whatever, take your shoestrings and you just sit in a cement cell for however long. It’s just you and all the officers — and they don’t speak English.”

As for the decision to leave UCLA, LiAngelo said his suspension was starting to take toll.

"That’s just a long time of doing nothing," he said. "I’d rather be playing."

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...tball-news-liangelo/gypa3wg69pqq1mg9fa92h65hr

' so other people started taking stuff, so I did too..' <<< Great to see him taking personal responsibility....:doh:

' so other people started taking stuff, so I did too..' <<< Great to see him taking personal responsibility....:doh:

And "That was stupid". No mention that it was WRONG.

Is China a big Basketball powerhouse?

It appears to be a place for retired NBA players???

Only a limited number of foreign players are allowed on each CBA team. Notable imports include former NBA All-Stars Stephon Marbury, Tracy McGrady, Gilbert Arenas, Steve Francis, and Metta World Peace &#8212; as well as several NBA veterans who would become CBA All-Stars &#8212; Michael Beasley, Aaron Brooks, Jimmer Fredette, Al Harrington, Lester Hudson, Kenyon Martin, Randolph Morris, Shavlik Randolph, and J.R. Smith.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Basketball_Association

Is China a big Basketball powerhouse?

It seems like the NBA is hugely involved with investing in China's huge basketball audience, but there are concessions to be made and rules to follow more strictly, I guess? Like no basketball player could take a knee in China for dissidents and keep playing, I imagine.

Good, let the Balls move to China. Let all of the Balls be China's problem.

Coaches AND Owners want players not prima donnas that media shows for more than the game but what sells the attention.

And that may go double in Europe.

An article on CNN today detailed how European teams especially don't like prima donnas and player drama. This player and his father seem to thrive off of both. The article also mentioned that like Chinese teams, European teams can only recruit so many players from the U.S. and are unlikely to risk giving a slot to an unproven athlete.
I can understand his feelings and his decision.

In other professions, an "indefinite suspension" is the bueracratic way of saying "permanently fired". This may, or may not be the case with UCLA athletic programs. If it is not the case, then this should be communicated clearly to Li Angelo.

In short, I can see LiAngelo coming to the conclusion that he is not going to play ball for UCLA again. I would enroll in another state college in the LA area- even a small one, then join the basketball team as a drama free, humble "walk on". I don't know if it is possible to do this mid season or not.

And that may go double in Europe.

An article on CNN today detailed how European teams especially don't like prima donnas and player drama. This player and his father seem to thrive off of both. The article also mentioned that like Chinese teams, European teams can only recruit so many players from the U.S. and are unlikely to risk giving a slot to an unproven athlete.

I can understand his feelings and his decision.

In other professions, an "indefinite suspension" is the bueracratic way of saying "permanently fired". This may, or may not be the case with UCLA athletic programs. If it is not the case, then this should be communicated clearly to Li Angelo.

In short, I can see LiAngelo coming to the conclusion that he is not going to play ball for UCLA again. I would enroll in another state college in the LA area- even a small one, then join the basketball team as a drama free, humble "walk on". I don't know if it is possible to do this mid season or not.

If LiAngelo was on his own, I could see him doing a walk on thing somewhere, like Cal State, and working his way back. But as long as he is sticking by his father, that ain't going to happen.

His father already said that he has no interest in his son getting a college education. He doesn't need an education, all he needs to do is know how to play Ball. He honestly said that on live tv:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/05/lavar-ball-cnn-video-2/

The conversation again centered on what happened in China with LiAngelo’s shoplifting, and eventually got to this exchange about the education that he is foregoing by leaving school:

Cuomo: You worried about compromising his future? UCLA is a great ticket for him it’s a great education.

Ball: We’re going FORWARD with his future. With a great education of what? Now, if my boy wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, YES! With UCLA we’d have to wait back and say, ‘Wow.’ But to be the world’s greatest basketball player, man, it’s not rocket scientists. Either you got the talent or you don’t.

:doh:
So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now. Just needs to go play professional ball in China or Italy,..." it's not rocket scientists..."

OMG, seriously a parent saying his child does not need an education, WOW! Those poor kids! How sad!

"it's not rocket scientists" well someone needs an education.

Ball family take another bad bounce.

Ok I'm sorry I couldn't help it;)

Managers aren't interested.

https://br.app.link/25owhrUVFE?$deeplink_path=article/bleacherreport.com/articles/2747968-this-isnt-entertainment-basketball-do-ball-brothers-have-a-future-overseas&$fallback_url=http://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2747968-this-isnt-entertainment-basketball-do-ball-brothers-have-a-future-overseas.amp.html

So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now.

The scholarship is probably contingent on his son playing basketball. I don't know if somebody with an indefinite suspension would be allowed to keep the scholarship past the current semester.

My general understanding is that basketball is especially ruthless in regards to being an active player or not due to the small number of people on each team. Thus, losing three players is a big impact and immediate replacements must be found. This could increase the chances of the scholarships being given to other deserving athletes in the spring.

The father rejecting all future education is foolish. Given his son's demonstrated ability as a Division I basketball scholarship winner, allowing basket ball to weigh heavily in future educational choices would be understandable.

In the end, Li Angelo's chances of being picked up by a relatively big name team in Asia or Europe are small simply because he has not had time to establish a track record at the Division I college level. Mixed with a dose of humility, Cal State for both education and well, of course basketball in the spring would be his best choice.

If LiAngelo was on his own, I could see him doing a walk on thing somewhere, like Cal State, and working his way back. But as long as he is sticking by his father, that ain't going to happen.

His father already said that he has no interest in his son getting a college education. He doesn't need an education, all he needs to do is know how to play Ball. He honestly said that on live tv:

http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/05/lavar-ball-cnn-video-2/

The conversation again centered on what happened in China with LiAngelo’s shoplifting, and eventually got to this exchange about the education that he is foregoing by leaving school:

Cuomo: You worried about compromising his future? UCLA is a great ticket for him it’s a great education.

Ball: We’re going FORWARD with his future. With a great education of what? Now, if my boy wanted to be the smartest guy in the room, YES! With UCLA we’d have to wait back and say, ‘Wow.’ But to be the world’s greatest basketball player, man, it’s not rocket scientists. Either you got the talent or you don’t.

:doh:
So he takes his son away from a 4 year scholarship at a great University, and just decides he doesnt need an education at all now. Just needs to go play professional ball in China or Italy,..." it's not rocket scientists..."

That father apparently doesn't realize his flashy ego will not be welcome in China.

And if his kids are the best then why aren't they going to play for the NBA?

That father apparently doesn't realize his flashy ego will not be welcome in China.

And if his kids are the best then why aren't they going to play for the NBA?

I'm sure China is well aware of Father Ball.

The oldest son played for UCLA his freshman year and was drafted by the LA Lakers. I believe he is in his first year with the Lakers. He did not complete his 4 year scholarship and dropped out to join the NBA.

Gelo (the admitted thief in China) was in his freshman year at UCLA when he was benched. He cannot play for the NBA because a player must either be out of high school or college 1 year and be 19 years old.

The youngest (I forgot his name) scored over 90 points in a high school game last season and his father's head got so big that he pulled his son from school and is training him at home.

LaVar, the father, is looking for an overseas team for both the youngest and Gelo until the NBA draft in June 2018.

I'm reading way too much about this family and the NBA and need to stop. :p

The REAL loser here is the kid that didn't get the UCLA scholarship that was given to the shoplifter.

what the father seems to not recognize is one car accident/ blown out ACL / medical diagnosis- and how is your kid going to support himself in adulthood?

LaVar, the father, is looking for an overseas team for both the youngest and Gelo until the NBA draft in June 2018.

And over seas teams, though probably willing to put up with drama in players of demonstrated ability, wont take players with out proven track records at the higher levels. The NBA teams would also want to see demonstrated playing ability at the higher levels before making a draft selection.

In the end, though dazzling performances at the high school level may give indications of professional level skills, the quality of the opposition can vary greatly. Performances can be far different in environments where everybody is highly skilled.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back