Found Deceased CO - Maggie Long, 17, suspicious house fire, Bailey, 1 Dec 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Locals are saying that the FBI, CBI, ATF, and CSP are staged in front of Long's Ranch and passing out flyers with a suspect sketch and descriptions of two vehicles. I will not be able to go by there today, but I'm sure someone will post the flyer here. If not I will try to seek one out and post in the next few days.

I noted a resemblance to a local business owner, who operates a small business near Derrick Thai (the Long's restaurant). I am being purposely vague here as I don't want to point fingers at anyone based on a sketch. I did call a tip in, and told them although I doubt that it is him, they should at least exclude him as a POI. Other locals here prolly know who I speak of if they drive the 285 corridor and frequent local businesses.

This is great to see some movement on this case. The photos and sketches may prompt someone forward who was doubting what they had seen or heard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my problem with this sketch of a possible suspect (remember, they did not say this is a sketch "of the suspect").

First off, I know who this sketch most resembles, and if that is actually the case, then the Federal Bureau of Investigations, Colorado Bureau of Investigation, Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Colorado State Patrol and the Park County Sheriff's Office already knows who this sketch resembles, which doesn't make sense, because they already know who he is, where he is and all they have to do is practically waltz in and arrest him on suspicion of murder.

If I am correct in my assumption of who this sketch most resembles, then there are not too many people in the neighborhood or the county who will recognize him. I am being vague here, but some on this thread will probably suss out who I am talking about.

Another problem, the poster says this person was seen "at the house." It doesn't say where at the house. In the house, near the house, around the house, somewhere on the property. It seem purposely vague and really doesn't tell me much of anything.

If this sketch is who I think it is, than the "at the house" reference is not a mystery, since it is certainly a place where this person would be seen, no matter what "at the house" means.

This may not be a factor, or it may be, but there is a five-way sheriff's race now going on in the county, and the retiring sheriff (Sheriff Fred Wegener) has a favorite "son" candidate in the race, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for this person. I can say that because my newspaper has been covering the primary race, and the primary election date is June 26.

I find the poster to be a bit funny. They have put some new "evidence" on the front with the sketch, two vehicles, and on the back, they have repeated the images of possible items stolen from the house, which was already on a poster handed out a few months ago.

Why do I find it funny? Because if you read the text on the posters carefully, what they are basically say "If you see anything that doesn't look like these item, let us know."

My journalist sense is that this is simply staling, they still don't have anyone in mind and they don't have anything more now than they did at the end of December.

Such a horrible thing to happen to Maggie and her family. Hopefully this isn't just a stall tactic. I really hope there is an arrest soon.

Any info on the ethnicity or coloring of said person in poster. It’s not clear, but the person has a distinctive look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the sketch, why don't they list hair color, possible height, possible weight, maybe eye color. This is a scam, plain and simple.

In the least, if this was legit, hair color would be listed.

On the sketch, why don't they list hair color, possible height, possible weight, maybe eye color. This is a scam, plain and simple.

In the least, if this was legit, hair color would be listed.

what do you mean when you say "this is a scam"?

I've heard LE in the past tell suspects, "We know the answer to the questions we are asking". This might be what's going on here. They know the answer, but do not have enough for charges. Imo, shake things up and try to get a reaction from the perp, an accomplice, or witnesses.

I've only just discovered this thread and I am very disappointed that there is still no resolution. What a terribly sad death and tragic loss.

Can I throw in a couple of theories:
- the most obvious is a local perp(s) who knew of the family's movements and suspected an empty but well stocked house - a very unfortunate mis-timing, she knew them and argued with them and was killed
- the other renters or jealous family members tipped off the perps - again she was an unfortunate disturber of a crime, fire was to cover up evidence
- finally, and most unpalateable. The family were in a bad financial way, a restaurant closed, others loss making, too many mortgage outgoings and struggling with debt. A close family member (or their accomplice) comes home to set the house alight for insurance, she disturbs them and argues with them, trying to persuade them not to burn down the house and is killed by accident. Terrible tragic accident. 'Stolen' items are removed as cover.

Frankly I think the final scenario is very unlikely as it does not explain the fast fleeing beige van seen leaving the scene by zchick's pals. Forgive my insensitivity for sharing it. I mean no disrespect.

So, many voice complaints that there is no news, and then when something happens that brings attention back to the case LE gets criticized because people don’t like what is brought to the public. Well, I know someone did see a guy in the house, from a distance. And remember the lighting was pretty dark at that hour. If anyone has followed the case of the two teenaged girls killed in Indiana, over a year ago, they have a PICTURE of the likely killer, and still can’t find him. So, murders are seldom easy to solve. I certainly am curious that two people on this forum say they know who it resembles though.

I've only just discovered this thread and I am very disappointed that there is still no resolution. What a terribly sad death and tragic loss.

Can I throw in a couple of theories:
- the most obvious is a local perp(s) who knew of the family's movements and suspected an empty but well stocked house - a very unfortunate mis-timing, she knew them and argued with them and was killed
- the other renters or jealous family members tipped off the perps - again she was an unfortunate disturber of a crime, fire was to cover up evidence
- finally, and most unpalateable. The family were in a bad financial way, a restaurant closed, others loss making, too many mortgage outgoings and struggling with debt. A close family member (or their accomplice) comes home to set the house alight for insurance, she disturbs them and argues with them, trying to persuade them not to burn down the house and is killed by accident. Terrible tragic accident. 'Stolen' items are removed as cover.

Frankly I think the final scenario is very unlikely as it does not explain the fast fleeing beige van seen leaving the scene by zchick's pals. Forgive my insensitivity for sharing it. I mean no disrespect.

Family is not in financial distress, and San Long is pretty much revered by his large family, who would all still be in China if not for him. I believe the first scenario.

This has nothing to do with any real suspect or witness.

You tell me why, in a million years, did they not publish at least his hair color?

Read my LONG comment up thread.

Sigh... I was not challenging you, I was curious what you meant by "scam" and I think you read your own snark into my innocent words. No sense posting here since you have it all figured out, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee